Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Cox Spitfire, can anyone help date this thing? Cox_ba12

Cox Spitfire, can anyone help date this thing? Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 5:44 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by balogh Today at 1:10 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Yesterday at 8:20 pm

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by sosam117 Yesterday at 6:58 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Cox International Yesterday at 12:27 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

» On ebay a very special Cox engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 6:32 am

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by Admin Yesterday at 12:51 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Cox Spitfire, can anyone help date this thing? Empty
Live on Patrol

Cox Spitfire, can anyone help date this thing?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Cox Spitfire, can anyone help date this thing? Empty Cox Spitfire, can anyone help date this thing?

Post  Cribbs74 Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:00 pm

Hey guys, my Uncle picked this up for me at a garage sale. I have never seen a solid green one before, it was purchased in Canada so that may have something to do with it. I guess what I want to know is if it's desireable and what years this model was produced.

I don't know much about RTF's so looking for help from you collector types.

Cox Spitfire, can anyone help date this thing? Image19
Cox Spitfire, can anyone help date this thing? Image18
Cox Spitfire, can anyone help date this thing? Image20
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Cox Spitfire, can anyone help date this thing? Empty Re: Cox Spitfire, can anyone help date this thing?

Post  crankbndr Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:22 pm

Cox Spitfire is very desirable, you don't see many for sale, rare to have the canopy. Many have damage gear mount from hard landing, breaks the plastic.
I would say VERY NICE!! Mark B. could date it better than me. I looks to different decals that normal

Looks like Stuka pilots hiding under wing.

Does it have "Silver Bee" engine? I think newer models had Horseshoe. I would guess 69+ -
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Cox Spitfire, can anyone help date this thing? Empty Re: Cox Spitfire, can anyone help date this thing?

Post  Cribbs74 Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:33 pm

Thanks Doug,

Unfortunately it's not in my posession. It's at my Dad's house in Canada...

From the looks of the picture it appears to have a bee type engine in it.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:16 pm

Good catch. There's obviously no end to the planes Cox made that I never knew about.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  TLAnderson Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:04 pm

Cribbs74 wrote:Hey guys, my Uncle picked this up for me at a garage sale. I have never seen a solid green one before, it was purchased in Canada so that may have something to do with it. I guess what I want to know is if it's desireable and what years this model was produced.

I don't know much about RTF's so looking for help from you collector types.

I had one when I was about 12 years old. That would have been in '66-'67.
Looked just like this one.

Cox Spitfire, can anyone help date this thing? Cox-sp10

Sure wish I still had it. I never flew it because it was so cool looking, that I was afraid I'd crash it.
TLAnderson
TLAnderson
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:29 pm

Here is one the owner says is from 1970
Scroll down to post #10 more old U control
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=576776

Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:54 pm

Certainly looks like it, I have to wait until it's in my hands until I can give it a good once over.

I'll also have to read up on all the cleaning tips you guys do as well!

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:57 pm

Wow.. it's great that you have Cox "bird-dogs" working for you Ron! What a cool find! Did/does either your Dad or Uncle fly models? Good to know that it's in safe-keeping, until you can retrieve it! Wonder if the "postee" is a spare engine? I'd love to have been there at that garage sale with your uncle, to ask some questions about the model's origin. It's always nice if you're able to document that info. It might mean nothing to the average person.. but most of us here would want to know more about where and when it was bought.. who flew it.. and their experience.

Congratulations! I'm always hoping that I can find and rescue an old Cox model!
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:49 am

Yeah, my Uncle is a big swap meet/garage sale guy. I let him know I was into model airplane stuff.

Neither my father or uncle messed with flying models. Not due to lack of interest though, they were both raised solely by my Grandmother. My Grandfather passed away in '59 so money was tight and my Grandmother worked hard to provide so toys were a frivalous thing.

Ron

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:30 pm

Hi Ron,
Sorry I'm slow posting, i saw this a week or so ago and had to give it some thought, my least favorite pastime... Shocked
Do you have it in your possession? It almost looks like there is some camo on it and its been cleaned off to point its barely visible?
I always like to use the engine as a reference to get an approximation on it, does it have a 'stepped' cylinder, small or large needle, etc, etc.. It does look like a smaller needle, so possible early 70's?

I know there was a Canadian version made without the yellow side numbers, and possibly made overseas, Australia, New Zealand, etc.?

Hopefully Mud will offer a thought or two???

But i also wonder if it might have been made for Sears/Penny's/Canadian Tire, as they often seemed to be different than your typical Cox product?

Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:50 pm

Not in my hands yet, the cylinder looks stepped, hard to tell in the picture. Hopefully I can get my hands on it soon and clean it up and figure out what I have. Thanks for popping on and commenting. I appreciate it.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Mudhen Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:35 pm

Last edited by Mudhen on Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mudhen
Mudhen
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:48 am

Mudhen wrote:
Mark Boesen wrote:Hopefully Mud will offer a thought or two???
I don’t really know.
To me, it looks like the Canadian version with black camo.
It does not have the hot-stamped “AFP,” but it still has a small cylinder hole.
I can’t tell the cylinder type. (But it does have a small radius needle valve, which may, or may not, be original to this particular model.)
And the tires appear vinyl/rubber not foam.
All that only to say “I think” maybe very late 60’s early 70’s. Huh...
I'm not well versed in foreign Cox models. Sorry

Thanks Mud,

When I finally get my hands on it I will provide better info and clearer pictures. I am guessing you guys are pretty close on the date range, with these things a range is probably as good as it gets.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Controlliner Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:56 am

Here in Canada, Leisure Dynamics put out a Blue spitCox Spitfire, can anyone help date this thing? Coxspi10
fire in the early 1980s.
Controlliner
Controlliner
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Cox Spitfire, can anyone help date this thing? Empty The COX Spitfire was NOT easy to fly at all, remarkably similar to the real one!, requiring experience.

Post  Amclaussen Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:05 pm

TLAnderson wrote:
Cribbs74 wrote:Hey guys,
Sure wish I still had it. I never flew it because it was so cool looking, that I was afraid I'd crash it.

Believe me: It was QUITE DIFFICULT TO FLY!, depending on many factors. At close to sea level, with COX "Racing" fuel, and the outstanding Golden-Bee that my Spitfire came with, this plane was very close to the real Spitfire: VERY FAST, Very sensitive (overly sensitive) and maneuverable, to the point that most people in those conditions tended to over-control it, so that a sudden climb into the wind, resulted in a VERTICAL climb, followed by an almost vertical dive into the terrain!

Mine was the previous 1964 model in light green plastic with dark green camo, and red color propeller spiner. It came with an EXTRAORDINARILY STRONG GOLDEN-BEE with large tank, with both vents upside. That engine was so powerful that the heavy plastic airplane climbed like if it was made from balsa! Too hot for a beginner!

My first "flight" was less than three full turns  Doh! ... Too much power, too much wind, a completely wrong control handle with the lines in the outermost holes: a recipe for sure disaster. The take-off was swift, and soon followed by a series of steeper and steeper climbs and dives, then a VERTICAL climb into the wind, followed by a similarly vertical dive into a hard concrete Basket-ball  court. OUCH!

INCREDIBLY, the beautiful red spiner took the brunt of the crash and simply disappeared forever.  I searched for it for days, and never found it, but other than a slight scratch in the propeller hub, the rest of the beautiful Spitfire was completely undamaged!  But my self confidence was SHATTERED!

Several months afterthat flight, I returned to my city, at more than 7,350 Ft. of elevation above sea level, and my neighbor received a new Olive Drab COX P-51 (the one that  the wing joined to the fuselage with rubber bands).  His overly tenacious efforts to start its new engine, resulted in running it too rich for many minutes, and that resulted in a lame engine that was perfectly OK to barely pull the P-51 very lazily, with the P-51 just hanging from the prop and never going above 5 or 6 feet and never less than 3 ft above the ground.  The lazy fligh made us (10 years old at that time) to believe that somehow, the Spitfire was IMPOSSIBLY HARD TO FLY, and that the P-51 was like an easy to fly "Primary trainer" for C/L!

Immedaitely, I begged my father to buy me a COX P-51, assuring him that "This one is very docile, and I won't crash it"... SO, my dear father bought me a new COX P-51, but as he was in the Navy, we were trasferred to a port, and the "docile" P-51 was transformed into a very nimble and almost as sensitive as the Spitfire beast,  and I crashed it in a similar manner as my admired but terrorizing Spitfire!

Two years later, I bought and built my first Balsa C/L model, a Sterling "Beginner's Ringmaster", that I was able to fly more than maybe 300 flights WITHOUT A SINGLE CRASH! Then I built the ribbed wing "Baby Ringmaster". Both were powered by the same engine from the then deceased Spitfire, the terrific Golden Bee that came with my Spitfire. ONLY AFTER the accumulated experience from the Balsa made Ringmasters, I was perfectly able to fly a COX P-40 WARHAWK without craching it, for many times, proving that COX heavy, plastic planes effectively were able to fly, but those demanded experience or the help from an advanced modeler, never alone. Best Regards, Amclaussen, Mexico City.
Amclaussen
Amclaussen

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:44 pm

WELCOME TO CEF!   You have quite the experience in flying Cox planes!  We have lots of room for new members with stories, tails or techniques to share. I Love This Forum!
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Cox Spitfire, can anyone help date this thing? Empty Cleaning and stuff

Post  agbiv Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:33 pm

Lots of info on cleaning engines and fuel lines here. I used an industrial orange/citrus cleaner for the engine and paper toweled it dry prior to assembly. I also used a couple drops of Royal Purple oil (or light machine oil) on the piston, crank and rod connection. Dawn dish soap 1:3 mix w/ water and a soft toothbrush to gently clean residue off of plastic parts and towel dry. Your model with the extras could bring $250-300 on eBay. Maybe even more since it is a rare version. Good luck whether flown or sold! Al +
agbiv
agbiv
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:08 pm

I’ve finally made it to Canada! Had to look all over the house and garage to find this thing. It is in superb shape, very happy! It has a stepped cylinder, late 60’s early 70’s.  Stickers are poor, but otherwise in very good condition. Should clean up well.

Cox Spitfire, can anyone help date this thing? B4f85510
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:50 pm

hello, here is one in an ad in my country, if I do the conversion to dollar are about $ 452.00 plus shipping, I think it's for a fan .... (have long since announced)
In the description they also say that it does not have the landing gear ... it's a bit expensive, is not it?

https://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar/MLA-695306950-avion-cox-spitfire-motor-expl049-1964-impecable-en-caja-_JM
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:49 pm

Cribbs74 wrote:I’ve finally made it to Canada! Had to look all over the house and garage to find this thing. It is in superb shape, very happy! It has a stepped cylinder, late 60’s early 70’s.  Stickers are poor, but otherwise in very good condition. Should clean up well.

Well, a couple things are in order. First, welcome back! And secondly, glad you finally got your paws on it. Too bad as another week from now, it would have made for the perfect adult easter plane hunt..... Although by your description, you did kind of have a hunt of your own to find it.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:24 am

Wow, jackpot Ron. Looks as good as the real one. Max envy.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:44 am

Sweet Ron you going to fly it display ?
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Cox Spitfire, can anyone help date this thing? Empty Canadian Spitfire

Post  ticomareado Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:28 pm

That fuel tank laying beside the syringe looks like a Stuka tank.
ticomareado
ticomareado
Account Under Review

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:24 pm

NEW222 wrote:
Cribbs74 wrote:I’ve finally made it to Canada! Had to look all over the house and garage to find this thing. It is in superb shape, very happy! It has a stepped cylinder, late 60’s early 70’s.  Stickers are poor, but otherwise in very good condition. Should clean up well.

Well, a couple things are in order. First, welcome back! And secondly, glad you finally got your paws on it. Too bad as another week from now, it would have made for the perfect adult easter plane hunt..... Although by your description, you did kind of have a hunt of your own to find it.

Yes, it’s nice to be home with family, taking care of a lot of chores for my ailing father. I am ecstatic to have this model.

To answer questions, I don’t know if I will fly it, it does have a silver bee engine in it. For sure it will be fired. It’s against my grain not to fly it, but at the same time it is rare and it can only be taken off or flown over concrete. I just don’t know.

For now rhough it’s time to make it as new and go through the engine.

It did come with a couple Stuka pilots and a wen-mac that needs attention. Also came witha NIP roto start spring. Those items will be going to those in need.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Mudhen Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:53 am

Last edited by Mudhen on Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mudhen
Mudhen
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next