Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Blondes, brunettes or red heads?  Cox_ba12

Blondes, brunettes or red heads?  Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by balogh Today at 12:07 am

» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 9:32 pm

» Elfin 0.5cc (Arnie Hende replica)
by dan vincent Yesterday at 9:18 pm

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by layback209 Yesterday at 9:10 pm

» Anderson Baby Spitfire - looking for the aft tank and gasket
by Boats13 Yesterday at 8:18 pm

» Fuel residue stain clening help
by akjgardner Yesterday at 7:53 pm

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by sosam117 Yesterday at 5:55 pm

» Cox powered boat litle shrimp hidroplane
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 2:52 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Yesterday at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Yesterday at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 7:56 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:14 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Blondes, brunettes or red heads?  Empty
Live on Patrol

Blondes, brunettes or red heads?

Go down

Blondes, brunettes or red heads?  Empty Blondes, brunettes or red heads?

Post  Ken Cook Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:16 pm

Blondes, brunettes or red heads?  Dscn2510

Tomorrow is vintage combat in New Jersey. I've worked on the fleet this week trying to get them all fixed and in good shape for the day. I recently acquired a Harter's Count Clipper. Harter made a few planes like the Royal Rodent, the Student Prince. This one being the Count Clipper. The Count Clipper was considered a combat plane. It's essentially a battering ram and probably flies like one. I will find out tomorrow. With the short wingspan and 28 oz. weight I'm not expecting anything spectacular. This plane was built when it was introduced so the silk crushed some of the ribs over the years which required me to open up bays and replace. I repaired much of the silk and left the finish in the thousands of layers of clear dope it has. The Mccoy just happened to fit the pan. More than likely it had a K&B Green head scheduled for it.

Other in the line up: Consolidated WOW ( Green flying wing with white rudder ) , Consolidated Jubilee ( See through red covering Introduced around 1954-55 way ahead of it's time. It flies much better than a Ringmaster and it dons a FP .20 )

Long boom Voodoo with my club logo on the wing   Super Tiger .35 G-21 scratchbuilt , Walter Umland Sneeker ( Yellow see through Super Tiger .35C, Walter Umland Half Fast ( Red and white chkr board and black Fox .35X ) , Walter Umland T-Square ( Green, Yellow, blk and white Chkr boards  Fox .36X )  Walter Umland Combat Streak ( Yellow wings , black fuse blue stars, Fox blackhead combat special ).

Blondes, brunettes or red heads?  Dscn2511

Blondes, brunettes or red heads?  Dscn2512

The Count Clipper with mag pan for fuse  Blondes, brunettes or red heads?  Dscn2513

Without a doubt underpowered with the Mccoy redhead ( you have to love a redhead ) but hopefully I can nurse a few circles in tomorrow. Blondes, brunettes or red heads?  Dscn2514

My son Shawn and I plan to fly a few matches tomorrow with new combat rules but intend to have some serious fun, Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Blondes, brunettes or red heads?  Empty Re: Blondes, brunettes or red heads?

Post  ian1954 Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:25 pm

Ken,

Are there any rules regarding the engines or top flying speed? What is the "youngest" design you can fly?

ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:40 pm

Ian, the combat for tomorrow also has the fastest speed for a baffle piston engine, so I can only use my baffle designs for that event. The term vintage is very subjective but most of the attendees don't seem to have problems with flying designs up into the 70's. Legendary larry Scarinzi will be present and I just love being with him. My son and Larry have quite a time, Larry is now in his 80's still flying like a mad man. There's no real scheduled matches, I fly matches just because I enjoy seeing these old turkey's in the air. I hope someone can get some decent video. Here's last year, Tom Luciano is a fellow who puts this together and he recently put this video out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkcxeX7jCaY My son is a 3:58 helping Larry Scarinzi with his planes. I'm at 4:52 holding the Half Fast. The Half Fast is what I'm entering in the speed event. I'm pretty close to 95 mph with that old iron on the front.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:04 am

Thanks Ken - I ask because, over here, vintage combat is becoming more and more popular. At the last contest - there were over 90 entries.

It started really as an "Old Timers" nostalgic event but has now attracted a bigger and bigger following and increased the interest in control line flying.

Why? The rules may seem onerous but they are not. For all the models the plans are freely available, so are kits of parts and complete kits!

The most expensive item is the engine! Obviously, the Oliver Tiger tops the list in terms of expense because of rarity but you can use

The engine shall be a diesel of 3.2 cm3 maximum displacement if constructed with ball/roller races or 3.5 cm3 maximum displacement if constructed with plain
bearing crankshaft. Engines permitted under this definition (any mark or model unless otherwise stated) are as follows:

AK 19 AM 25CS, AM 35CT' MVVS 2.5/1958 TRS & D7 , DC Rapier, ED Racer
Elfin 249, Enya 15D, ETA 15
Frog 249, Oliver Mk 3 Replica, Oliver Tiger Mks. 2,3 ,4
OS 15D Parra T3 (2.5cc), PAW 249, 249 TBR CT 1 & 2
PAW 19D and 19 D, Rivers Silver Streak, Rothwell 250
Russian Oliver Mk 3 Replica, Super Tigre G20/15D, Super Tigre G30
Taifun Orkan T4 (3.2cc), Webra Mach 1 and 2
The Rothwell 320 TBR, PAW 19 TBR, PAW 19 BR and the Oliver Tiger Mk4 19TBR are allowed subject to not being increased in capacity.

The retro fitting of a single ball race in PAW 19 sized plain bearing motors is allowed.
MVVS 15D 2.5cc (Current model, and subject to the following restrictions):
(1) Standard engines only to be used, no tuning allowed.
(2) Standard sized venturi, 3.5mm.
(3) Bearings may be replaced by steel bearings of the same size.
(4) No bushings to bearings, phenolic or ceramic bearings permitted.
(5) The only modifications permitted to the engine is the removal of the exhaust stub, and the positioning of the exhaust port to either side or rear exit.
(6) Prop size is up to the operator, but only nylon props to be used.
(7) These rules apply only to the front induction MVVS 15.
(Cool The rear induction disc valve engine will not be permitted, nor will the use of the MVVS ABC LINERED ENGINE, CONVERTED FROM GLOW.
(b) The engine must be fitted with a domed safety spinner

Some of these motors are still available new and are still being manufactured.

There is a speed restriction and so the motor may not be an advantage.

The list of models allowed can be seen in 4.8.4 here

http://combatflyers.co.uk/2016-contest-rules-section-4-control-line.pdf

Because of the popularity and nostalgia associated with Ollies - there is a dedicated class -- see 4.8.4

Excuse the pun, the rules give  level playing field for everyone. No point in shelling out for super dooper Gary Cooper engines, custom propellers, super lightweight coverings and models.

Too often we see competitive events that need an awful lot of money investing to be competitive. These contests are the exception and open to all comers.
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:44 am

Ian, most of the participants are in their late 60's and 70's. Many of their sons like myself are just continuing tradition. Unfortunately, many are no longer with us or have lost interest. We just want to see the planes take to the air  again. All of us are a big help and support to those old beauties to see them go around a few more times so we don't hassle or criticize. Combat models were never beautiful or painted to such a high level of finish. Some how beauty has been attached to these old birds. They never were beautiful or were they flown like that. Most models were just patchworks of silk scarves or just silk with little to no color.

Many of out participants have gone to great lengths to do a finish that's breath taking. I'm not that individual, I can do it but why. It takes too long, costs too much and it's going to tear rendering all that work meaningless. I repaired the old Count Clipper with silk but that was a different situation. The old silk shrunk so much that it shattered the 4 ribs internally and that wing is a D tube style wing. Why use a product that essentially works like a boa constrictor. Many of the fellows just go out and tear up the sky reliving the past and I think that's pretty neat as well. Last year a fellow showed up who hadn't flown since the early 60's. It was like riding a bike as he never forgot and that smile was priceless.

As far as engine go, we do try and stick with period correct engines. My FP .20 surely doesn't fit the bill. I use it because it starts easy and the speed is surprisingly spot on for most stock Fox .35's and Mccoy's. Over the past few years I have hand grenaded a few of my Fox's. That doesn't sit too well with me and I keep the nitro as mild as I can. Most here are die hard Fox fans. Lately I switch to the Super Tigers. Larry Scarinzi and Duke Fox designed the Fox .36X's. Brian Gardner has been making ABC piston liners for the .36X engines. I personally feel this is a unfair advantage and when they start pulling those engines out, I have a few tricks up my sleeve as well.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:59 pm

The cast iron clipper did very well today. In fact it was impressive. Speed wise it was impressive and maneuverability was equally impressive. I never thought this boat anchor would do what I saw today. I put a MA 9x6 on the Mccoy and ran the needle in so it was in a steady 2 an let her go. Insides were no problem but outsides were a bit low on the recovery. This thing is a flying tank. My son put it into some squares which made all of us laugh. He had some low level inverted flights which were so low the rudder was hitting the ground. We had a real good time today. We witnessed some honking old time equipment. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:27 pm

You are having too much fun Ken, totally jealous...
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:39 pm

Thanks, Ken, for keeping your fleet in such great shape and for supporting combat and the traditions of the sport, making it visible to the rest of us. The pictures, video, and slideshow were a great addition. Redheads, Brunettes & Blondes, hmmm, yeah, they're my type. I think I'd like building and flying planes like those early models. Had I been exposed a couple of decades earlier, my modeling career might look a lot different today. But I'm good with watching from the sideline and occasionally taxing my reflexes with my one little 1/2A combat wing. I really like the mag-pan Clipper, it looks like the kind of tough little plane I can imagine flying. I fly my Li'l satan and pretend like I'm flying fast Lol.

By the way, while we were doing 1/2A Day this weekend, I heard a gawdawful racket coming through the trees up on the grass circle. When I wandered up there to see what was going on, it was Howard Shenton with about ten speed limit planes, wringing them out one after the other. I'm glad to see the guy is really getting his legs back under himself lately. He's apparently still having trouble with balance when he goes high, but he dead-stick landed every one that I saw.

Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:45 pm

Cribbs74 wrote:You are having too much fun Ken, totally jealous...

https://youtu.be/J0jWv0lFqF0

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:52 am

Thanks for turning us on to your fleet Pics. and the video Ken , some really nice looking vintage there ! Those Big engine on combat vintage look cool like a Hemi !~ Your son is a fine looking young man and good to see him involved the way he is . Nothing but FUN !!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:35 pm

Eric, that was very kind of you to say that. Even though that video was from last year, Tom Luciano the fellow responsible for the video just put it out on another forum recently. Tom's father was very popular in the 60's flying and building. I spoke with him for a few minutes Sunday and it was very rewarding. He's up there in age and he enjoys seeing us all build and fly these planes.

I can't take credit for all of the planes I have. Many of the Walter Umland kits I mentioned are the actual planes from Walter's website. My friend and club member Dennis built these planes and I fly them. I had to retrofit my engines into them as Dennis is not much of a Fox fan. Everyone is encouraging me to do a rubbed out dope finish. As much as I would love to do that, I just can't see the point. It's very difficult preventing rips and tears. Repairing is problematic and not always easy especially a wingtip. It does look beautiful when complete. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:59 pm

I can most definitely understand your way of thinking, regarding the finish on a combat-job Ken. Sure it will turn heads.. but it's a combat model.. built for aggressive flight maneuvers against a competitor. Why spend countless hours on a finish.. when every match has the potential to destroy a model? Fly it like you stole it.. and hope you don't break the engine! Cool
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:31 am

Most if not all of the guys build just for nostalgia. My son and I generally fly some very mild matches. Just flying over tough grass can tear it up. In addition to storage at home can also bang stuff up.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:28 am

Ken do you have a pic of this rubbed out dope finish ? Don't know if I have ever seen this before , Thanks . Eric
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:44 am

Ken Cook wrote:           Most if not all of the guys build just for nostalgia. My son and I generally fly some very mild matches. Just flying over tough grass can tear it up. In addition to storage at home can also bang stuff up.

Ken, what did the combat guys do back in the day when these planes weren't nostalgic, but the best thing for the job? I guess they built continuously, replacing the slag when they weren't taking them on suicide missions? The modern planes y'all fly today can certainly take more licks and be repaired and replaced in a way that was not possible back then.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:11 pm

Most of them covered in silk or silkspan. Color really wasn't applied in multiple coats and if so, it was generally trim. Dyed silkspan or silk was a option that was used due to having color and less weight of colored dope. Some of these flyers were essentially putting dope on the model as they were headed out the door. Certain models could certainly take their share of abuse.

If you recall the instructions on most kits it would state 3 coats of clear followed by a color coat or apply clear until the wood shines. I don't think many combat flyers put more than a coat or two of clear on other than attachment coats for covering.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:24 pm

Some of the "Vintage" combat models were almost indestructible - the Dominator was a prime example.

http://www.flyinglines.org/kb.dominator.html

Solid build an covered with nylon and doped. Any old nylon - shirts, blouses ................ whatever you could beg, borrow or steal from the washing line. It was nearly always the engine or the propeller that took the beating!
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down