Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Spectra line for 1/2A? Cox_ba12

Spectra line for 1/2A? Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by balogh Today at 12:07 am

» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 9:32 pm

» Elfin 0.5cc (Arnie Hende replica)
by dan vincent Yesterday at 9:18 pm

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by layback209 Yesterday at 9:10 pm

» Anderson Baby Spitfire - looking for the aft tank and gasket
by Boats13 Yesterday at 8:18 pm

» Fuel residue stain clening help
by akjgardner Yesterday at 7:53 pm

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by sosam117 Yesterday at 5:55 pm

» Cox powered boat litle shrimp hidroplane
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 2:52 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Yesterday at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Yesterday at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 7:56 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:14 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Spectra line for 1/2A? Empty
Live on Patrol

Spectra line for 1/2A?

Go down

Spectra line for 1/2A? Empty Spectra line for 1/2A?

Post  wha-tah-hey Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:10 am

I've heard and read good reports on Spectra for 1/2A but there's a bunch of brands out there.
Have any proven to be better or best?
Is the Uni knot the best?
Seems the low weight would be a great advantage over steel but is it great stuff or a fad thing?
Thanks.
wha-tah-hey
wha-tah-hey
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Spectra line for 1/2A? Empty Re: Spectra line for 1/2A?

Post  fredvon4 Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:04 am

Definitely NOT a FAD thing

Remember there are two lines distributing the loads

For larger, or competition, I suggest the recommended sizes BUT for home sport flying you can use smaller, especially for 1/2a

Lots of knots work and many are easier to tie with the very small stuff

I still fly steel 7 strand for .35 and larger but just because I initially bought 1000' spools

If you get the stuff for larger planes ONLY use the USA MFG stuff...much of the China sourced crap is just that..stretchy, under spec CRAP

Use water or spit to do the final clinch of any knot

I have a set of 35' lines for 1/2a that I used 10# ( was in my tackle box) and the sedate Ringmaster Bi-plane does not have enough weight or centrifugal force to bother the under sized lines

I still would not use that 10# set of lines on my much faster combat 1/2a planes

Others will be along to list the ideas on the good, and not so good knots.... Google is your friend as well as lengthy discussion on RC Groups, Stuka Stunt or Stunt Hanger wen forums
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  wha-tah-hey Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:40 am

Thanks for the reply, Fred.
I read the AMA specs (tho' no !/2A), so that definitely puts it out of the fad category. Very Happy
I'm preparing to try 1/2A again after many years and thinking the lighter weight will allow longer lines for slower lap times, all else being equal.
wha-tah-hey
wha-tah-hey
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:06 pm

Terry, I've been using Spectra exclusively since I got back into control line about four years ago.  I use 10# test Spectra line for 1/2A planes.  I'm told some people use 8# test, but my local store only goes down to 10# test line.  My preferred brand is the Power Pro brand put out by Shimano.  It is actually manufactured by Innovative Textiles Inc., a company in Colorado.

I was motivated last month to do a little test of the lines using the Double Uni knot as shown in the recommended AMA video, and the way Shimano recommends.  Here's the thread:

https://www.coxengineforum.com/t10145-my-unscientific-spectra-test#128315

The Motivated Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  wha-tah-hey Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:00 pm

Interesting test, Mark.
The variable results from different sizes is odd.
The local Wally-World has 10# Power Pro (green only  DAMMIT!).
FWIW, on the surgeon's knot, looks like (with care) the knot might be worked down around a thimble, etc., as it's tightened.
While it's a simpler knot in principle, it'd be more work than the slip-iness of the Uni. I can't comment on it's load carrying ability.
wha-tah-hey
wha-tah-hey
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:11 pm

wha-tah-hey wrote:Interesting test, Mark.
The variable results from different sizes is odd.
The local Wally-World has 10# Power Pro (green only  DAMMIT!).
FWIW, on the surgeon's knot, looks like (with care) the knot might be worked down around a thimble, etc., as it's tightened.
While it's a simpler knot in principle, it'd be more work than the slip-iness of the Uni. I can't comment on it's load carrying ability.

My local Wally-World.. Laughing had this line, which I picked-up last year.. although I can't attest to using it yet.

Spectra line for 1/2A? Spider10
 Spectra line for 1/2A? Spider11
 Spectra line for 1/2A? Spider12

I've yet to see any hi-vis yellow there yet.. and that "Palomar-knot" shown on the package is not the one that I tie either.

It's tough to get a macro-image.. but here's a 5-turn uni-knot that I tied using 30# SpiderWire for when we had the CEF 1/2A Profile Reed-Speed contest a few years ago.

Spectra line for 1/2A? Uni-kn10

I never got the model in the air to be able to comment on the line's performance. The 30# test was a bit overkill... but my model was on the heavy-side and I wanted to play it safe.

I'm very eager to try these synthetic-braid lines and need to make-up a few shorter sets. The speed-contest rules called for 42 foot lines. That length had since been reduced to 35 feet for the following year's contest.

I found it difficult to tie two separate lines close to the same length.. Laughing I got them to within an inch of each other.. but if I had it to do over again.. I'd use a single through-the-handle set-up.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:17 pm

For my one set of 10# 1/2a lines I tried desperately to tie the recommend knots and bad eyes and shaky hands prevented success...

I ended up tying with two turns around the eyelet and a series of 4 half hitches...set with thin CA.... pull tested good enough...not to destruction...just enough pull to convince me they would hold a pull much greater than what I experience when flying

Yellow hi vise 10# still a good set of lines on a Roger Harris made Cox handle

I flew way to many times with crap cox Dacron or my mothers carpet thread to need to over think the spider wire stuff for 1/2a

If I had 5# I would be tempted to try it....grin

Now a 4.8 ~5.2 second per lap .35 powered 30oz stunt plane I would (and I am) be more conservative with the quality and strength of the line

fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  wha-tah-hey Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:27 pm

I'll use a Sullivan 1/2A handle so a single-line thru set-up would work fine, Roddie.
I think Spider Wire is a brand that has been recommended.

You're surely right about the strength issue, Fred.
Years ago when I flew 1/2A it was with the common Dacron thread and never a problem.
wha-tah-hey
wha-tah-hey
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:26 pm

wha-tah-hey wrote:I'll use a Sullivan 1/2A handle so a single-line thru set-up would work fine, Roddie.
I think Spider Wire is a brand that has been recommended.

You're surely right about the strength issue, Fred.
Years ago when I flew 1/2A it was with the common Dacron thread and never a problem.

Terry, It's great that you're gearing-up to fly 1/2A control-line again! We're always psyched when we get a new member like yourself. I've learned so much from our members here.. and learn something new every time I login. I almost always write too much when I post and I have a lot of "hair-brained" ideas.. but there's still a myriad of unexplored territory when it comes to modeling in general.

I envy your geographic location.. because up here in Rhode Island.. there won't be too much warm-weather flying time left this year.. Not that I'm an avid flyer... (I haven't logged a single flight since becoming a member here over 3 years ago.. Embarassed ) It's a bit of an embarrassment for me.. but that's ok. When I'm ready to fly again.. I'll have a lot more trouble-shooting knowledge that I didn't have before. I owe that to all these terrific members here.

Regarding "lines"... When I did actively fly, it was using Dacron-lines.. and exclusively with 1/2A models in a side-yard where I used to live. There wasn't much room either.. roughly a 55 foot diameter circle! My Dacron lines were about 25 feet long. I was flying Cox .049 reed-valve powered models.. so they weren't "speed-demons". The balsawood models had no problem pulling-up into inverted flight.. without going over the top.

You mentioned TVA lines overhead where you live. Are they directly overhead.. and how high are they? Certainly; braided-stainless control-lines are electrically conductive. I can't find any research on synthetic lines; likely because they're relatively new to the control-line hobby. I think I'll pose the question in a separate thread.. because if they're non-conductive.. it would dispel any concerns about flying in the proximity of power-lines. I'd like to see you (or anyone; including myself..) be able to fly.. without that concern.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  wha-tah-hey Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:48 pm

TVA lines are ~40-50' AGL and I sure wouldn't try without some ironclad assurance it was absolutely safe.
We do often have 60+ deg winter weather, with a rare 75-80 deg day.

But fact is, I'm not sure I'd enjoy it by myself. My older brother and I grew up modelling together, as life would allow over the years (mostly small F/F rubber sport), and when he passed 6 years ago it all lost it's charm.
A couple years later, selling kits he'd left for me to sell for his family, I decided to try c/l as sort of a memorial activity, as that's where we started in the late '50s with 1/2A stuff (all we could afford then. Very Happy) and we'd been threatening to get back to it though, sadly, never made the plunge.
And I've come to enjoy the camaraderie of fellow flyers much, much more than the poor quality of my flying.
Thankfully, I have a great bunch of guys in NACA to fly with now, but they're all 50 miles away so I can't fly as often as I might like, or easily take advantage of their experience and expertise.
So forums such as this (I post in several) are my primary connection to fellow flyers.
Someone's available to lend an ear 'most any time and someone almost always has the answer.
Soliloquy finis.

Besides, by myself, I'd have the worst imaginable teacher. lol!
wha-tah-hey
wha-tah-hey
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:39 pm

Roddie, Spider Wire is not actually Spectra line.  It is Dyneema line.  They are similar, but not the same.  Dyneema has more stretch than Spectra, and Spectra has more abrasion and fatigue resistance from what I've read.  Dyneema is a European development, vs. Spectra which is an American development.  I've read that there is a plant in N.C. that makes Dyneema, but I can't talk to the origins of Spider Wire.

To educate myself, I just spent about a half hour on the Spider Wire website (http://www.spiderwire.com/), and I can't find anywhere where it says Spider Wire EZ Braid is American Made.  Will it really make a difference on a 1/2A plane?  I'd bet not.  We've been using the standard dacron stuff that Cox included in their kits for decades, so it's not really a big deal.  But the AMA specifies Spectra, so I'll stick with that.  Just and FYI.

I'm half tempted to re-do my line tests using a Palomar knot to see if I get any appreciable difference in results.  But it's rainy out, and I'm not really that motivated.  I'll do it eventually, as I'm told Palomar knots make it easier to get the lines to uniform length.

As far as flying near power lines with Spectra, I'd act the same as if I were flying steel lines.  I'd bet that Spectra is non-conductive per se, but when you're flying around in circles, I'm sure the lines pick up some surface moisture to some degree.  And probably some static electricity also.  I would stay well away from power lines even with Spectra.  But that's just me.

The Fatigued Mark

edit:

Looking at this photo, the Spider Wire looks very different from Spectra braided wire.  On Spectra, the braid is more evident.

Spectra line for 1/2A? Uni-kn10
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  wha-tah-hey Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:26 pm

I've recently read (don't recall the source) that the Palomar knot is of much lower strength than the Uni.
And re: TVA transmission lines, a 150' RoW, as across my yard, means up to 230KV on the wire.
Nothing to play with.
wha-tah-hey
wha-tah-hey
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:49 pm

wha-tah-hey wrote:TVA lines are ~40-50' AGL and I sure wouldn't try without some ironclad assurance it was absolutely safe.
We do often have 60+ deg winter weather, with a rare 75-80 deg day.

But fact is, I'm not sure I'd enjoy it by myself. My older brother and I grew up modelling together, as life would allow over the years (mostly small F/F rubber sport), and when he passed 6 years ago it all lost it's charm.
A couple years later, selling kits he'd left for me to sell for his family, I decided to try c/l as sort of a memorial activity, as that's where we started in the late '50s with 1/2A stuff (all we could afford then. Very Happy) and we'd been threatening to get back to it though, sadly, never made the plunge.
And I've come to enjoy the camaraderie of fellow flyers much, much more than the poor quality of my flying.
Thankfully, I have a great bunch of guys in NACA to fly with now, but they're all 50 miles away so I can't fly as often as I might like, or easily take advantage of their experience and expertise.
So forums such as this (I post in several) are my primary connection to fellow flyers.
Someone's available to lend an ear 'most any time and someone almost always has the answer.
Soliloquy finis.

Besides, by myself, I'd have the worst imaginable teacher. lol!

Hi again Terry, I'm very sorry to learn of your brother's passing. Siblings are too often not so "in-tune" with each other. This was obviously not the case in your family. Was he with you for the 1996 NATS in Muncie? I have two younger brothers.. but they have very little interest in our family's past history in model-aviation. I was born in 1960.. which makes me a bit younger than you.. and my two younger brothers were born in 1966 and 1968. I feel that there was a significant difference in childhood interests in that short span of time. Aero-modeling was turning a corner.. and Radio-control modeling was taking-over. Control-line modeling was starting to lose popularity. It wasn't an immediate demise.. but a slow/gradual trend that saw kits and supplies becoming more and more scarce. Radio-control gear had gone through a revolution in dependability... but was nonetheless expensive.. even for entry-level gear. Most kids couldn't afford that expense.. and there wasn't any major-marketing in-place to drive the hobby. Cox Hobbies was a major contributor.. but only if you were an avid subscriber to the model-magazines.. or had a local hobby-shop or major retail store nearby that sold model-supplies. Mattel and Hasbro were cleaning-house with major-marketing back then. If Mattel had bought Cox in the mid-70's and retained their engineering-staff; the firm surely wouldn't have ended up like it did with Estes.

Terry, there's a lot of us that fly alone. I've always flown alone. You've mentioned your being envolved with the NACA. You can now add "us" to your support-team. I've felt a heaping-helping of support since becoming a member here! We often talk about "stooge-launch" assist techniques for when you have no pit-man. Trouble-shooting questions are always addressed.. usually within hours of a post. I Love This Forum!

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  wha-tah-hey Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:13 am

Your thoughts are appreciated, Roddie, as is the welcome I've received here and on other forums.
MOF, the guys on SH just helped me remember/reclaim some of that past - the first plane my brother and I flew, Scientific's Musciano American Boy. Seems kinda fitting that should be the one. Gotta have one now. Very Happy
Re: the Nats, I was going through a really rough patch in '96 and he invited me on the Nats trip (his son flew Foxberg, a speed event and Mouse, I think) to help me out of the pit.
BTW, though we flew a lot of F/F over the years, our last c/l flying was summer of '60.  Smile
wha-tah-hey
wha-tah-hey
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:49 am

batjac wrote:
As far as flying near power lines with Spectra, I'd act the same as if I were flying steel lines.  I'd bet that Spectra is non-conductive per se, but when you're flying around in circles, I'm sure the lines pick up some surface moisture to some degree.  And probably some static electricity also.  I would stay well away from power lines even with Spectra.  But that's just me.
Just don't hang a key on your lines and you'll be right Laughing
Blow up Mad!
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  PeterJGregory Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:44 pm

PeterJGregory
PeterJGregory
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down