Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Huntersville 2016 is a wrap! Cox_ba12

Huntersville 2016 is a wrap! Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Cox powered boat litle shrimp hidroplane
by davidll1984 Today at 2:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Today at 1:39 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Today at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by Yabby Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Huntersville 2016 is a wrap! Empty
Live on Patrol

Huntersville 2016 is a wrap!

Go down

Huntersville 2016 is a wrap! Empty Huntersville 2016 is a wrap!

Post  RknRusty Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:28 pm

Another year of contests at the Metrolina Control Line Society is in the books! The Carolina Classic in May, the pilots' choice and informal 1/2A Day in September, and the Carolina Criterium topping it off in October. This contest was dedicated to the club's 35th anniversary, and included extra-special trophies and a special awards dinner Saturday night. It also set a record for attendance. On Saturday, we had 21 pilots flying in the Profile event. I know the exact number because I drew 21 in the flight order Lol. I usually prefer not to be #1, but damn. The whole two-round event ran for 7 hours. The judges, runners, and pilots were worn out at the end of that day. That's a lot of time to stay on your competitive edge. I tried to postpone it, but couldn't quite turn it off during the four hour wait for my first flight. There were record breaking numbers in the other events too. Those would be Old Time Stunt, Nostalgia, Combat, Navy Carrier, and Basic Flight, on Saturday, and all PAMPA Stunt classes on Sunday. In my Intermediate class, we had 9 pilots including Wayne, Mike and Me, with Mike and me having an ongoing rivalry. So far it's Mike-3, Rusty 0. Huntersville 2016 is a wrap! Poking10

You'll have to wait for Mike to show us what the 35th anniversary trophies look like, as well as his Combat awards. No hardware for Rusty this time. The 1st place prize was a Tom Morris line wrapping jig, and Sam Londke brought one home for winning Basic Flight. Wayne also took one of those home after showing us all what a crisp and shapely pattern looks like. Mike's is a nice looking #2 trophy, and another of my buddies, Jim Mynes, got third place in Intermediate.

I came in 6th with flights that looked like mine usually do, except I've gotten past bobbling the bottoms like a porpoise. That's been a long time problem and I'm finally locking the bottoms better. But they are still too high and I think that's mainly where I am throwing away points now. On the other hand, all of my takeoff/level flights were 29-30 pts, and my landings were 30-34 pts. That's a huge leap in points that  I improved over the summer. If I can get those bottoms lower I'll be beginning to feel like a pretty good pilot. I'm not unhappy with any of my flights, as none were worse than my current skill level.
Huntersville 2016 is a wrap! Interm10

It was a well-run contest, thanks to Will Davis, the Contest Director and all the others who ran the show. That's quite a challenge to pull off. There were no serious glitches despite the unexpectedly huge turnout, except that the hurricane victims near the coast caused a porta-john shortage, and we were pushing the serviceable limits in that area Lol.

I have another flying story and the pictures are trickling in, but I'll post it when I get a second wind, and Mike has some pictures too.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Huntersville 2016 is a wrap! Empty Re: Huntersville 2016 is a wrap!

Post  Mudhen Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:22 am

Last edited by Mudhen on Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Mudhen
Mudhen
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:58 am

Mudhen wrote:Is that the Keith Palmer from the Cox Flying Circle? (Disneylands' Tomorrowland.) Popcorn
That's some history if it is.
Mud
No, Mud, this one is too young to be that Keith Palmer, but I'll ask him if he's related. This one is in his 40s and is a very impressive builder. He flew an ME-109 that had never been flown before this weekend. I'll find a picture of it. His planes are always worth a walk-around... hands in pockets. It was unbelievable how many people picked it up and handled it without his permission. He had to tape an accidental finger punch in one of the bottom rib bays.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Mudhen Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:46 am

Last edited by Mudhen on Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Mudhen
Mudhen
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:39 am

Great report Rusty

I am always amazed at the behavior of some folks. Years ago, I was sitting idly with friends BSing. About 10 feet from my pit area planes, and glanced over to see a guy pick one up...by the rudder ..it broke, he set it down and started to walk away--- I asked if he was going to offer to pay for the repair... the "screw you" response nearly got me in a lot of trouble...but my buddy knows me and grabbed me before I could get to the A hole....But "I am much Better Now!" Night Court Harry's father quote
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:19 am

Big LOL! Thanks for the Harry quote. I got a lot of good ones from Night Court.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:51 pm

Great report as usual Rusty! Too bad about the toilets.. Laughing Reading Really though? People handling others' models without permission? What? Phred's story had me imagining being there with him when that guy broke his rudder off. What would I have done? Who knows.. maybe steal one his shoes while he's on the ground and give it to Phred later, to hang in his shop. tongue Some people just don't get it.. and even worse; won't "own it" either. They feel entitled to being ignorant.. and are a "special kind of stupid".

I'd like to check-out that Tom Morris line-wrapping jig. How does it work? Is it for making terminations or maybe even-length line-sets? Is there a vid showing its use?

Kudos to you Rusty! There was a lot more competition this year.. and I'm sure that made it more fun.. as well as inspiring.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:03 pm

It's really cool that you're closely matched against some friends in your category. That's GOT to be fun!

And yep, if you want to see some high-dollar lack of etiquette, just come to one of our free-admission airshows as the hill-folk descend onto our ramp, and release their spawn upon the display aircraft !

Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:54 pm

RknRusty wrote:Big LOL! Thanks for the Harry quote. I got a lot of good ones from Night Court.
I'd forgotten, wasn't Harry's father Gomez Addams? Another old favorite.

Sparky, Robert Storick, of Stunthanger.com, was there with his Junar XL. I fondled it while he was watching. I think he likes me, I add spontaneous humor to his live streaming hangout series. Pictures are showing up over there too, so I'll poach some of them for our entertainment here at CEF. Still surfing the usual warm fuzzy feeling that event always leaves me with.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:05 pm

You done good!

No wood, but now you have a reason to excel. Even though I am almost 20yrs your junior I'm proud of you.

Better keep it up, I was doing the hourglass, triangles and Sq 8's last week. Only the clover left.... Wink
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:17 pm

Here's Keith's ME-109. Fox .35 powered like most of his ships, and under 40 ounces, though it looks like a 50 ounce model. It's kitted by Brian Malin of BMJR Models(bmjrmodels.com). Brian's been hot on my heels since we first entered Beginner stunt too.
Huntersville 2016 is a wrap! Keith_11Huntersville 2016 is a wrap! Keith_12Huntersville 2016 is a wrap! Keith_13

Brian also kits a Stuka that I dream of building. His kits are complex, and some need bolstering to fly Stunt rather than Scale, but they fly very well, just from my observations.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  JMynes Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:04 am

Rusty, that was a great contest report!

I have a word of advice for you while you're working on getting the bottoms at the right height...

Don't put them as low as I did on the outside loops in my first flight.

I still think the ground was just a little too high...
JMynes
JMynes
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:10 am

JMynes wrote:Rusty, that was a great contest report!

I have a word of advice for you while you're working on getting the bottoms at the right height...

Don't put them as low as I did on the outside loops in my first flight.

I still think the ground was just a little too high...
Thanks, Jim. I enjoyed hanging out and flying with you. And one thing I've learned about the low pullouts... Please replace your divots! Just a common courtesy Lol.

Oh yeah, and in my first flight, after waiting all day for the 20 guys ahead of me to fly, I forgot about the dead calm air and didn't back-step on my loops and broke both blades off my prop. That might be why you got too low. Oddly, the prop was apparently the only thing that touched the ground, and I did a full deadstick lap and greased a landing. The exploded prop blasted the wing with shrapnel. With Scotch tape in two places and a new prop, I flew round two about 30 minutes later and it was my best flight of the whole weekend. That was Saturday in profile on the lower circle.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:23 am

Cribbs74 wrote:You done good!

No wood, but now you have a reason to excel. Even though I am almost 20yrs your junior I'm proud of you.

Better keep it up, I was doing the hourglass, triangles and Sq 8's last week. Only the clover left.... Wink
Good for you, another ankle-biter after me Lol. I really better turn it up now. The Clover only looks hard, and can be confusing the first few times. Once you get it figured out, just fly it big, making the straight horizontal and vertical legs 90 degrees long. To keep from turning too soon I have to say to myself, "Fly fly fly," and then it's time to turn.
Good luck.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  JMynes Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:47 am

RknRusty wrote:
Oh yeah, and in my first flight, after waiting all day for the 20 guys ahead of me to fly, I forgot about the dead calm air and didn't back-step on my loops and broke both blades off my prop. That might be why you got too low.
Rusty

Thanks for trying to bail me out, but, no. I was trying to lower the bottoms and got too rambunctious and simply flew to ground level.

It was all due to a loose nut on the handle.
JMynes
JMynes
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:25 am

Good Report ! Thanks Rusty , i am surprised you didn't take out the landing gear when you came in too low and broke the prop , good save i would say !!! As i wrote in the thread from Ken ,, https://www.coxengineforum.com/t10195-good-luck-to-rusty?highlight=good+luck+rusty  (   i got a PM from mike ( londke3 ) wanting to know if i was going to be able to come sad as it is i just don't have the funds at this time . Just to be there and get to meet them would have been the Bomb ! I am sure he will bring us back a good report and just maybe a trophy. I will have to shoot for next year again if i can make it that long on squat for income (waiting on disability is a real crock after 2 yrs ) Sept. 2017 is my court date Pumpkin Good Luck Rusty !! i need to call Mike and let him know and wish him Luck too with Happy Landing !Eric Airplane )) This Site Rocks! I still havent called Mike he probably thinks i am a heal . All in the same sentence a good friend of mine from 35+ years passed away this weekend and we are going to say our goodbyes today Small Cox Logo
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:35 am

getback wrote:Good Report ! Thanks Rusty , i am surprised you didn't take out the landing gear when you came in too low and broke the prop , good save i would say !!! As i wrote in the thread from Ken , https://www.coxengineforum.com/t10195-good-luck-to-rusty?highlight=good+luck+rusty  ...

Thanks for posting that link, Eric, That's the first time I ever saw it. I just now added a comment onto it.

I was waiting for someone to ask about the LG. They might have touched, but they weren't bent at all. I always check their track before I fly, and the wire is too easy to bend to have taken much of a lick without showing it. Where I came down, there's a dip in the circle. And if I struck the prop on the rising edge, maybe I could've done it without significantly bumping the wheels. It made noise, the engine quit and I flew just past a full 360 degrees and landed. I had to whip it to get over the dip before setting it down. On the other hand, maybe the dip is what saved me a shattered Twister... chills...

Eric! Make 2 peanut butter & jelly sandwiches, throw some bottles of water in a cooler and leave Julian at 8:30 Saturday or 7:00 Sunday. It's 110 miles from where you live. DAY TRIP. When you get there, water and sodas are free. Lunch is $5 bucks or the best donation you can scrape up. $0.00, if that's what you've got.
See you in May.

Rusty... and I'm betting I speak for Mike too.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down