Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

The Caron Bee'm mount for Cox radial mount engines Cox_ba12

The Caron Bee'm mount for Cox radial mount engines Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 9:36 am

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Today at 9:29 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by Yabby Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Yesterday at 8:20 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

» On ebay a very special Cox engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 6:32 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

The Caron Bee'm mount for Cox radial mount engines Empty
Live on Patrol

The Caron Bee'm mount for Cox radial mount engines

Go down

The Caron Bee'm mount for Cox radial mount engines Empty The Caron Bee'm mount for Cox radial mount engines

Post  wha-tah-hey Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:25 pm

Fellers, being quite easily amazed, I amaze myself at times. Eyebrows
This may not be a unique idea, but it is original to me since I couldn't find mention of anyone else's beam adapters on the market or in forums.

With my return to 1/2A c/l, I decided I don't want no ugly planes.
And the stub-nose look of any radial mount system on a profile !/2A is ugly to me.
Having a Golden Bee, itching to build something for it, deciding on a Baby Ringmaster, having a plan drawn for a beam mount engine, not having an .049 Tee Dee or Norvel, too poor to buy one, not wanting any of the old beam mount engines - what's a desperate guy to do??
Get creative.
I also have a postage stamp back from I don't know where, so it occurred to me that it would replace the GB tank, give me the fine-thread needle and allow me to use an external tank.
So I trimmed it down (not really necessary).......
The Caron Bee'm mount for Cox radial mount engines Trim_110

to now be the platform for a simple homebrew beam mount for Bees, 190/290s, whatever.
So I made a cardstock pattern...........
The Caron Bee'm mount for Cox radial mount engines Bee_m_12

and, not having suitable "good stuff" on hand at the moment, cut out a "proof of concept" example from a beverage can:
The Caron Bee'm mount for Cox radial mount engines Bee_m_10
The Caron Bee'm mount for Cox radial mount engines Bee_m_11

Obviously, a mirror image part will be need for the other side.
The backplate will actually be rotated to place the NV "vertendicular" as an old country fellow used to say (not to be confused with "slantendicular" or "straightendicular") on my BRM,  and the top radius is just for looks.
Note that the beam itself can be shortened to allow use of a starter spring or a different pattern drawn to move the beam up the sideplate should you want centerline thrust.
Al or thin steel angle, channel or box could be the basic material rather than bent sheet; the idea could be resin cast or, for the industrially adept, molded from plastic I suppose.
As shown, it allows a nice long, unbroken-nose silhouette to admire as you fly, especially nice if you like Spits, Mustangs, etc.

If it's already been done and I missed it - NEVER MIND! Very Happy
Otherwise, I hope sharing this with fellow modellers will prove of value and I'd much appreciate seeing pix of it's use.

Last edited by wha-tah-hey on Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:12 pm; edited 5 times in total
wha-tah-hey
wha-tah-hey
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

The Caron Bee'm mount for Cox radial mount engines Empty Re: The Caron Bee'm mount for Cox radial mount engines

Post  Marleysky Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:28 pm

If you're easily amazed, I am easily intertained. I like your idea. Yes, it has been covered before with the Goldberg mounts, the "Roddie mounts" , Dale Kirns 290 mounts and a few others I can't remember just now. CoxAddict has made and displayed a number of useable and unique mounts. I have one of his aluminum mounts,Looking for a plane to put it on. I Love This Forum! that's the Wounder full thing about this forum, if you have a idea, it can become a GREAT idea when shared with others! Keep up the great thinking.
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

The Caron Bee'm mount for Cox radial mount engines Empty Re: The Caron Bee'm mount for Cox radial mount engines

Post  wha-tah-hey Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:38 pm

Thanks for the kind words, Roddie.
I found the Brodak, Goldberg, Graupner, at least one of yours and maybe a couple of others but all that I saw were variations of a firewall style mount.
I certainly may have missed some, but a beam mount usable with the common Cox radial mount engines is what I wanted.
I admit, when I came up with this design, I said to myself: "Why, that's so simple - why didn't I think of that".
So I did. lol!

Last edited by wha-tah-hey on Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:56 pm; edited 3 times in total
wha-tah-hey
wha-tah-hey
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  wha-tah-hey Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:48 pm

In addition to Google and Yahoo searches, I've just searched CEF, SH, SSW, Barton's, RC Universe, 1/2A Collector's and BotR with the phrase "beam mount for cox .049 radial mount engines" and get nothing except this thread.
Success depends on the right search terms so that could explain the lack of results.
Anyone have links to other posts about radial to beam mounts?

Thanks.
wha-tah-hey
wha-tah-hey
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:38 pm

The only problem with your mount (is that a diet coke can?) besides the material is the engine is not located far enough forward. If you look at the TD and medallion drill guides the crankcase is the location for the holes, and the front if the engine is quite forward from there.

The second problem is the engine is supposed to mount such that the bottom of the lugs is on the same line as the CL of the crank. (refer to the medallion manual) This is of course minor as small amounts of offset are rather trivial.

Here are some engine manuals The .049 medallion is in fractions, the .049 TeeDee is in decimal inches and metric.
http://coxengines.ca/engine-and-fuel-guides.html

I like it. I would probably whip up some stove pipe mounts as a prototype. Say #28 or #24 sheet steel, as I have plenty of that on hand right now.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  wha-tah-hey Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:56 pm

Yes, Phil, coke can just to demonstrate the idea not and for use, so I didn't punch holes in the beam. It will be made from thin sheet steel (Al fractures too easily).
As mentioned, the beam lugs can be bent farther up the side piece to allow centerline thrust if desired.
As to forward location, as with any beam mount engine it can be located anywhere on the hardwood engine bearers needed for balance.
The idea is not necessarily to replace TD or Medallions but simply to allow conversion of the ubiquitous, readily available Bee family to beam mount and external tank using the postage stamp backplate and a super easy make-at-home mount for those who don't like the looks of a firewall mount.

Last edited by wha-tah-hey on Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:05 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : clarity)
wha-tah-hey
wha-tah-hey
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  wha-tah-hey Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:02 am

Here's another quick-and-dirty simplified example, card stock this time and not actually installed, just to illustrate a variation shortened to clear a starter spring and giving center line thrust.
If the upright side portion was even taller it might give a fellow more clever than I a place to engineer some sort of split muffler ring or box extending in/around the cylinder.
The Caron Bee'm mount for Cox radial mount engines Center10
The Caron Bee'm mount for Cox radial mount engines Center11
wha-tah-hey
wha-tah-hey
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:18 am

Great idea and design there. Now I have only one question about it. and the question is:
'Why didn't I think of that?'.... Laughing
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:45 am

Keep us posted Popcorn I would slim down the railing on the side and round off the sharp edges tongue
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  wha-tah-hey Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:57 am

You probably would have, New, if I hadn't.
Eric, stewing over it last night, the same thought occurred to me and I was just typing that when your post came in! lol!
Another thought: don't forget you'll likely need longer backplate screws to adjust for the additional thickness of your mount material.

And a Gold "AttaBoy" for the first to post a pic of his mount. Very Happy

p.s. -
Maybe unnecessary to say, but this'll also put those broken-eared Bees back in the air.
wha-tah-hey
wha-tah-hey
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:23 am

That is a great concept. Just try to avoid too sharp bends, it's a bit tricky since it is a small part, yet the material needs to be strong enough.

I have a couple of ideas that I am going to test with cardboard (that is a great idea too!).

KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  wha-tah-hey Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:22 am

As Eric said, Kari, radius the backplate edges so that a super sharp bend isn't necessary for a close fit.
Also consider, if absolute minimum weight and close fit isn't required, a safer, wider radius - much easier to form.
wha-tah-hey
wha-tah-hey
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:20 pm

Yes, the design is a lot easier if we don't want or need to match the bolt pattern of an existing engine. The weight is not a big issue, as most models tend to be tail heavy anyway, and the engine itself is very light.

I was thinking about using a piece of angle-aluminum (extrusion), to which I would bend the fuselage mounting tabs. I know most extrusions don't handle bending well, but there are different alloys so you don't really know before you try.
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  wha-tah-hey Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:39 pm

Al window trim, maybe Al siding channel, there's a profusion of boat trim - for the resourceful, all sorts of recyclable possibilities that may work.
I don't know if extrusion is amenable to annealing, maybe some alloys more than others?
I'm thinking a thin mild steel may be the friendliest approach.
Best of luck with yours, Kari.
wha-tah-hey
wha-tah-hey
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  wha-tah-hey Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:49 pm

I didn't have any when I first posted, but of course this design will work with the horseshoe backplate also.
wha-tah-hey
wha-tah-hey
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down