Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 15 Cox_ba12

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 15 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by Yabby Today at 7:47 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by balogh Today at 7:23 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 5:44 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Yesterday at 8:20 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

» On ebay a very special Cox engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 6:32 am

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by Admin Yesterday at 12:51 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 15 Empty
Live on Patrol

On the Ramp Right Now!

Page 14 of 28 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 21 ... 28  Next

Go down

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 15 Empty Re: On the Ramp Right Now!

Post  Waffleman Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:49 am

crankbndr wrote:

Your too young to know the "Bonanza full of doctors" joke, I heard that 50 years ago. You must hang with older pilots!

Right on both accounts.

The oldest pilot I know is 97, I have one of his planes that was built in 1962! Older than me by a long shot!
Waffleman
Waffleman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:26 pm

Kim wrote:What a cool airplane...as are so many of the classic DeHavilland designs.  Those Gypsie inline engines are so cool!  The old gal may not have the performance of some, but it's certainly a classy airplane !!!

Kim.  I figured the multi-engined thing would get your attention.

The old Drover was built like a tank & I think it was exclusively built with Australia in mind and was used mainly in the Royal Flying Doctor Service. (ignoring the "doctor" joke).  The R.F.D.S. flies doctors out & patients in from really remote parts of the outback where it would take people days to drive to the nearest town or hospital.

The particular Drover in question was purchased by one of our local Drop Zone guys, but unfortunately when it came to taking delivery, he had broken his arm.  He flew to Sydney from Melbourne, taking my then 15 year old brother with him for the ride.  On arrival, he did all the negotiations  Hand Shake  with his jacket draped over his plastered arm.  Once in the plane, my brother took over (with some assistance on take-off & landing) and flew the thing home.  Flying  Shh

I still remember watching the thing descend at dusk after a drop with flames belching from the exhausts, probably due to the aforementioned dodgy spark plugs.

Rod.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:09 pm

Oldenginerod wrote:
Kim wrote:What a cool airplane...as are so many of the classic DeHavilland designs.  Those Gypsie inline engines are so cool!  The old gal may not have the performance of some, but it's certainly a classy airplane !!!

I still remember watching the thing descend at dusk after a drop with flames belching from the exhausts, probably due to the aforementioned dodgy spark plugs.

Rod.

That HAD to be a sight! Years ago, there was an engineless DeHavilland 'Dove' parked out in the grass at an airport across the river. I think it was originally used as an airframe carcass for the Aviation Maintenance School there. I was told that I was welcome to check it out, but didn't have the time on that trip. When I dropped in a couple years later, the Dove was gone...probably scrapped out.

Wish we had some restored something with Gypsie engines puttering around here !
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:52 pm

Kim wrote:That HAD to be a sight!  Years ago, there was an engineless DeHavilland 'Dove' parked out in the grass at an airport across the river.  I think it was originally used as an airframe carcass for the Aviation Maintenance School there.  I was told that I was welcome to check it out, but didn't have the time on that trip.  When I dropped in a couple years later, the Dove was gone...probably scrapped out.

Wish we had some restored something with Gypsie engines puttering around here !

I'm pretty sure the Drover was based on a similar platform to the Dove, but the Dove had two Gypsy Queen engines rather than the three Gypsy Majors (basically a Tiger Moth engine).  Three of them droning away together was sort of a unique sound.  We see quite a few Doves sitting around in various states of repair out here- they must have been pretty popular in their day.  I saw a local newspaper article the other day about a guy who purchased a complete running example, dismantled it and reassembled it in his suburban back yard.  He can actually run the engines and likes to entertain the local kids as he has installed a flight simulator in the cockpit.  Wouldn't you have loved to be the kid next door to that guy?  Very Happy

Rod.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:25 am

He's definitely NOT the "Hey you kids, get offa my lawn" type !!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:09 pm

On September 13, 2012, I nearly lost an old friend.  John stalled his Fairchild PT-19 Cornell during a low pass for a TV crew.  He was demonstrating a "Flour Bombing" event in our upcoming airshow.  

Watching the target (a car), and positioning the WWII trainer for release, he let the plane slow to the point that it stalled and nosed down.  Adding power as the stall broke only torqued it to the left, but may have been the reason the accident wasn't worse.

The PT-19 snapped to the left, it's left wing and nose striking the ground, with plane ending up 180 degrees from it's original course.  The wing's crushing impact helped cushion the rest of the plane's impact, with both John and his passenger being able to climb from the plane, though both were still banged up pretty good.

The landing gear struts were snapped off at the wings, the prop shattered and engine mounts bent.  Even more seriously, the fuselage's longerons were bent.  The insurance company totaled the plane.

We put the plane on a flat-bed trailer and hauled it back to it's hangar, were it sat for a couple months as John recovered from from his head smacking the windscreen frame.

John took responsibility for the accident from the beginning...straight-out pilot error...and had to deal with assorted lawyers and the Feds as the whole deal progressed.

He bought the PT from the insurance company, and started pulling parts from wreck.  He had help from several friends, but all the drive to finish the project was his.  His past hobby/job of helping maintain PT-19's, had given him several connections in the community.  He rebuilt the Ranger Engine, pulled the center section and sent it off to Ohio (I think).  The fuse was rebuilt and jigged and one of his friends came up with some "NIP" gear struts.

Parts of the PT 'traveled' around the airport, being stored in borrowed hangars when some of it's larger chunks needed elbow room around them as they were worked on in John's T hangar.

I missed it's first post-rebuild flight, but watched John today as he made laps around the airport, adjusting the rigging of it's controls.  It was good to hear the rumble of the old straight-six Ranger.

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 15 0_19

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 15 1_68

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 15 2_79

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 15 3_62

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 15 4_54

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 15 5_46

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 15 1_69

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 15 2_80

For the past couple of years, John's hangar looked remarkably like your average model-builder's shop...just a bit scaled up.

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 15 3_63

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 15 4_55

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 15 5_47

John's rebuilt Cornell sits on his hangar's ramp today, September 17, 2014

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 15 1_70

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 15 2_81

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 15 3_64

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 15 4_56

N19GP heads out to Runway 28 for some more test flying as John gets the trainer in rig.

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 15 5_49

Last edited by Kim on Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:24 pm; edited 3 times in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  dckrsn Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:44 pm

I don't know how to reply, except to thank you for that, Kim.
The welling up Bob
dckrsn
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:25 pm

Stupendous --- what a treat to see an old warhorse back on its feet and into the air.
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:18 pm

Kim,

Tell John that we have been watching. To go through all that mess and still come out on top tells me he is a man with passion. I respect that.

Good job John!

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:52 pm

Will do!

John is "Old School", and we've got about three of them left at our airport.  Once he got healed up enough to be truly mobile, he methodically rebuilt the PT...a crazy-daunting task in my view.

He's been extremely generous with the PT over the years, handing out free rides from the time it was first restored back in the 1980's.  I've gotten to log almost 4 hours of time mooched over the years, with the extreme honor of being allowed to take the front seat, and on the last two flights, handling the PT from start to shut down, with John in the back seat commenting on the weather and how much traffic there was on the interstate.

Several years ago, John installed an electric starter in the PT.  It was nice, but I somehow thought the PT lost a bit of it's mystique...or maybe I just got a kick out of watching my fellow line guys crank the thing....
On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 15 Airpor10

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 15 3_pt-110

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 15 4_pt-110

"Super Tim" (one of our new/old schoolers) hams it up with the PT
On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 15 Tim_po10
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:10 pm

The hand crank is way cool. Although hand starting with the prop would be even more manly.

That's one plane I wouldn't be afraid to fly in. I love open air!
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:47 am

That are nice pictures Kim. Hats off for the couragous owner to restore his airplane. It's a bit strange to see that engine on it's back leaning against the wall, as if someone put it there with his 2 hands.
I'd like to know what it's like to start such an engine with a hand starter. It takes some turning to get the crankshaft moving. Normally, 1 of the magnetos has a snap coupling that retards the ignition and suddenly gives the armature a yank in order to get a descent spark.

When I bought my Ranger 440 in the late 90's I didn't have a starter at all. There was just a hole in the rear cover and you could see the cranckshaft and the 3 dogs. I quickly got a hand starter to bolt on but later, I found an electric startermotor for the engine. A good thing is that you can bolt on these starters in any position you want.

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 15 Scan1020

Last edited by OVERLORD on Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:55 am

Cribbs74 wrote:The hand crank is way cool. Although hand starting with the prop would be even more manly.

That's one plane I wouldn't be afraid to fly in. I love open air!

I'm sure it's been prop-started at SOME point in it's history, but that Ranger sits so high that it'd be almost out of reach for a good, downward haul on the prop.  A sock starter might work...AND be a lot more fun to watch!  

Yeah, the PT is a big, friendly pup of an airplane, and everything happens very slowly.  The biggest thing for me was to make note and remember how high you sit when it's on the ground so you don't drive it into the runway on landing.

You sit so low in the thing that you're mostly out of the slipstream, bit there's a healthy blast right at the cockpit rim that will very efficiently remove sunglasses.  

I'm sure we'll see (and hear) John's baby rumbling around the area on any day when the temps get anywhere reasonable.  The Ranger is air-cooled, and those engines LOVE cool weather once they're started and warmed up (sound familiar?).

John was no stranger to having the PT apart...these are photos from it's center section rebuild back in '08
On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 15 3_65

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 15 4_57

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 15 6_38

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 15 1_71

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 15 2_82
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:09 am

OVERLORD wrote:
I'd like to know what it's like to start such an engine with a hand starter. It takes some turning to get the crankshaft moving. Normally, 1 of the magnetos has a snap coupling that retards the ignition and suddenly gives the armature a wank in order to get a descent spark.

COOL engine Lieven! The crank-starter always seemed to work well...maybe due to John's loving care and adjustment of the Ranger. There's a very short interval between compression strokes, and when you felt one coming on, you'd give it an extra "Whump!" to kick it through. I've started it on several pretty cool days, and it always fired up. I never heard an impulse snapping, but may have forgotten, so I'll ask John about it.

A BUNCH of our local posers were quick to move in and say that John wouldn't get the PT flying again, even some guys that I had a fair bit of respect for ( I quickly adjusted my opinion of them). I've been around a lot of these tough old guys, and knew that if John's injuries didn't bring him down, the PT would be flying again. Men like this are a flat-out inspiration for me.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:22 am

This is John's Other Ride...an RV-8 he built in his "spare" time.

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 15 John_s10

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 15 John_s11

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 15 1_72

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 15 2_83

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 15 3_66
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:50 pm

An unexpected visitor drops in to the Painton International Aerodrome Fly-In Dinner !

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 15 4_58

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 15 3_67
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:56 am

Yes, it's colder than all get-out, but I was suddenly seized by one of those monsters that fortunately only puts it's hands on me once in a while.

Before I really knew what was happening, I found myself heading North East, sail-boat-like-tacking the Assault Van up the road in frozen (and I MEAN frozen) crosswinds.

Nearly froze off a couple of appendages camping behind the Cracker Barrel Restaurant in Richmond, Indiana, but survived, and the whole deal seemed strangely like 'fun'.

Anyway, I'm now sitting at my table, in my wind-rocked van, assembling my gear for a day of touring the Air Force Museum in Dayton, Ohio.

'Bout as surprised as anybody to discover I'm here, and intend to make two days of the place, also swinging up by Neil Armstrong's Museum in Wapakoneta, and maybe try to find the Wright Brother's place.

SO...if any of you have a particular subject you'd like photographed in detail, I'm loaded with enough file space to take drivers license photos of nearly everyone in the state, so let me know.

Now...off to further adventure...

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 15 5_10

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 15 3_10

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 15 4_12

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 15 6_10

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 15 1_10

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 15 2_10
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:05 am

Kim,

I was stationed at Wright Patterson from 1998-2005.

The museum is a great place to visit, the Wright Brothers hanger is located on area A-C in huffman prairie.

At one point it was only accesible from on base, but I believe you can just drive out to it now without getting a pass.

It's right off highway 444

Last edited by Cribbs74 on Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:06 am

Hope so...cause I didn't ask !!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:35 pm

A "Sort-of-a-Taildragger"

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 15 9_10

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 15 9_110
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:46 pm

New ASSULAT Van !?!?!  nice , Where the funk are you doing man roar trip bounce cheers Beer Cheers cheers   Sounds cold , is here Good to hear from YOU !! Eric Thumbs Up
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:30 pm

You are about 2.5 hours from me. That is a cool museum. I have only been there 2 or 3 times. I haven't seen _everything_ yet.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:49 pm

That van is too cool!! Most of my mobile camping has been in the back of a pickup with a topper.
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:12 pm

Yo Kim! I had to put on a sweater.. after seeing that iced-up rolling man-cave! Laughing I'd love to see anything associated with the Wright Brothers. I hope you get the chance. Get yourself a big thermos of chicken stew.. and keep warm!
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:33 am

Cribbs74 wrote:Kim,

I was stationed at Wright Patterson from 1998-2005.

The museum is a great place to visit, the Wright Brothers hanger is located on area A-C in huffman prairie.

At one point it was only accesible from on base, but I believe you can just drive out to it now without getting a pass.

It's right off highway 444

Cool,
This has always been a great place for me to visit. I came here for the first time in 1974, and was simply blown away by the place. It's contnued to get bigger and bigger. I was surely glad to see them get the Vakerye inside !!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 28 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 21 ... 28  Next