Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 21 Cox_ba12

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 21 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Cox powered boat litle shrimp hidroplane
by davidll1984 Today at 2:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Today at 1:39 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Today at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by Yabby Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 21 Empty
Live on Patrol

On the Ramp Right Now!

Page 21 of 28 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 24 ... 28  Next

Go down

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 21 Empty Re: On the Ramp Right Now!

Post  Kim Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:39 pm

rsv1cox wrote:Carnards always remind me of John Denvers tragic death off the coast of California in one.  What a loss of talent, loved his music, still do.

Conventional wisdom says he ran out of gas when he neglected to change fuel feeds, or something similiar.  

Yeah, I was a big fan for a long time.  I think the final analysis was that he did run a tank dry, down low, and was trying to switch to a different tank, by reaching over his shoulder to a fuel control there.  In doing so, he inadvertently pushed against one of the rudder pedals, initiating a spiral, from which the Long Easy didn't have height to recover.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:15 pm

Thinking about dropping the top on my MX-5 tomorrow, slip my "Country Roads" CD into the changer and going for a ride.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vrEljMfXYo

West Virginia, mountain mamma, take me home country roads. Smile

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:05 pm

fit90 wrote:I thought Beech bought back all the Star Ships.  It would be cool if there are still some out there.

The most beautiful business aircraft ever designed.  I still don't know how the design was never recognized for the brilliance it was...  I once knew a husband-wife team who were both rated as Captains on the Beech Starship.  I always thought that was possibly the best response you could have to someone asking you what you did for a living.  "I'm a Starship Captain!"

The Bewildered Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:15 am

batjac wrote:
fit90 wrote:I thought Beech bought back all the Star Ships.  It would be cool if there are still some out there.

The most beautiful business aircraft ever designed.  I still don't know how the design was never recognized for the brilliance it was...  I once knew a husband-wife team who were both rated as Captains on the Beech Starship.  I always thought that was possibly the best response you could have to someone asking you what you did for a living.  "I'm a Starship Captain!"

The Bewildered Mark

It IS an elegant machine.

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 21 4_19

Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fit90 Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:19 am

It is a beautiful plane; but its performance was not nearly what Beech was shooting for. Also, it was said to have several issues regarding airframe grounding and a fairly long list of other little issues. This is what I have been told by other mechanics that worked on them at the Beech facility in Tampa. I have never personally worked on one or flown one. I still think they are really cool. Perhaps they were just a few years ahead of themselves. That happens when marketing wins out over engineering.
fit90
fit90
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:46 am

Sometimes, I can get really put out with 'airport people'...or it could also be that I'm just wired on the weird side.  Right here among us, we've got a guy, steadily breaking world records, with just a few of us bothering to take note.  It's like having a Charles Lindbergh or Jimmy Doolittle based here, and just getting shrug.  I don't expect much from the goofy public, for obvious reasons, but you'd think that people 'involved in aviation' would be more impressed.

Paul Salmon IS Mr. Rotary Wing around here.  Starting with a Magni Gyrocopter, he built a bunch of time in it before purchasing a fairly old Brantley helicopter, then a Robinson R-22, and on to an R-44, establishing a Robinson training and maintenance center along the way.  The helicopters that are constantly buzzing around our airport are all his doing.  

A couple years ago, he showed up with an advanced Magni Gyro named 'Missing Link' for it's lineage shared with airplanes and helicopters.  He installed a removable fuel cell in it's rear seat, and broke several endurance records, some previously held by Amelia Earhart...with hardly a nod from our locals.

He's now broken another record:  Distance Non-Stop in a Closed Course for Gyroplanes.
Leaving Cape early in the morning on Thursday, he flew to Longview, Texas and returned, with a flight time of over twelve hours in the Magni's tiny cockpit.

Previous Record: 1029k/634m
Paul's Flight: 1426k/886

This is apparently prep for a much longer record attempt in a different category (sorry I don't have the details on that one yet).  Paul's having some stub wing/fuel tanks designed and fitted to the Magni for that one.

I've always had a strong attraction for little machines doing big things, so this stuff really gets to me, whether the wings are bolted down or spinning.

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 21 3_24

NAA Official records data from Paul's flight.

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 21 2_25

Denise gets to wait while the family dachshund welcomes Paul home.

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 21 4_21

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 21 5_18

Anyway, I'll post some more facts as I get them.

Weird Wired Kim

http://m.kfvs12.com/kfvs12/pm_130979/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=vrKizkYQ
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 21 Empty Osprey Day

Post  Kim Wed May 04, 2016 5:37 am

It's been a while since we've had one of these wild machines visit our airport, and I had the good timing to be there when it arrived.  A guy I used to work with showed up and announced his son was a crew member on a V-22 Osprey that was making a diversion to allow him a visit, along with picking up some fuel.

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 21 13_14

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 21 14_13

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 21 15_12

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 21 12_13

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 21 18_12

After taking on over 1200 gallons of Jet A, the Osprey heads out.

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 21 4_22

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 21 6_18

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 21 8_110
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed May 04, 2016 6:10 am

I have mentioned before that I was at the Naval Air Test Center (Now Naval Air Warfare Center) Patuxent River Maryland during the development and testing of the V-22. I was privileged to be a part of that wonderful establishment for over 20 years. It was and is God's gift to Naval aviation.

There were so many attempts to kill the V-22 program and for many reasons, accidents, cost overruns, seemingly insurmountable obstacles. But brave men and women resolved those problems and made the Osprey what it is today an integral and necessary part of our defense structure.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Wed May 04, 2016 7:04 am

Very impressive!! Can they take off and land "normally" as well?
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Wed May 04, 2016 7:23 am

OVERLORD wrote:Very impressive!! Can they take off and land "normally" as well?
Lieven, I think the props are too big to do that.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Wed May 04, 2016 7:46 am

The Osprey is possibly the coolest kludge ever built. There are a very large number of parts that have very short service lives on the craft, yet it fills roles that cannot be filled by any one other aircraft. It would take several platforms to perform all the tasks the Osprey fills.

I suppose it is the argument of multi-task vs uni-task machines.

Very cool photos.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Wed May 04, 2016 8:50 am

While at Fort Eustis Virginia in the late 80s I was a lead Quality Control and Tech Manual review NCO for two vastly different projects...the V22 and the A10.

On the A10 project we actually got three aircraft and were developing, writing, and implementing the pilot and mechanic programs as the Air Force was wanting out of the ground support role...The Gulf war and the A10 being such an important machine changed the AF mind and they stopped the program

I spent a lot of time at Pax river during the V22 development.. I was impressed with the potential of the aircraft. Unfortunatly the Army backed out of the procurement of that multi role airframe

I am proud that the Project Manager's developers took one of my suggestions and implemented it.

Coming from a maintenance back ground I always groused that the helicopters we had at the time required a tool box that was massive with over 150 tools for a General mechanic (GM). All special purpose tools (100s) in a tool crib. To work on a UH-1H Huey as example a mechanic needed over twenty three tools to remove and replace the engine
MY suggestion was to reduce the different fasteners to 4 to 7 common sizes and try to make them all the same head shape, hex, torx, cap screw etc....

I supported the recommendation with a long write up on the monthly cost of 10% and 100% tool inventory time NCos must do. The costs of 10 years of aircraft accidents where a forgotten tool was the ultimate cause. And 10 years of data on the cost to procure and replace tools in the GM tool box

MY suggestion would save lives, damaged aircraft, NCO inventory time, paper work, and tool costs. I did not get a cash award but they did change the acquisition requirements demanding the makers of future aircraft reduce the dissimilar fastener count
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Wed May 04, 2016 11:55 am

Good work, Fred, that's a pretty impressive accomplishment.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Wed May 04, 2016 1:16 pm

Thanks Rusty

As I recall you did similar types of recommendations where you worked, or you developed better ways to fix something and taught the method to others

Don't know much about the culture in your profession but in the Army they were pretty open to recommendations to change, under what was called the "incentive awards program". However the bean counters and bureaucrats got in the way because many times it meant them actually doing some work and writing the change into the manual or procurement documentation

I, very late in my career, finally figured out the problem and started doing 90% of their job for them, with the cost avoidance slant pre written...cost me a small fortune in cash awards...in this case the guy who did the final change to the procurement doc did a better job of the proposal and got near $250K as a cash award.... I know the butt head, and to this day a little [bleep] he did not give me credit (possible under the "incentive award program" to split cash awards)

V22 Osprey and A10 programs both nearly cost my my marriage as they ran concurrent and I was doing 12~16 hrs 7 days a week for about a year (over 5000 hours).... (I was forced to carry forward my 30 day leave that year) E-7 Sergeants First Class at the time and the Army got a very cheap expert per hr....someone else can do the annualized pay per hour math....My total pay with housing and food allowances in 1987 was $24,986
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 21 Empty It's a small world

Post  RknRusty Sat May 28, 2016 5:28 pm

It's a small world. I was directing Wayne to this thread since he reads CEF fairly often. I had to send him a link because the title has changed to the V-22 Osprey. As it turns out he has been to the St. G airport on several occasions to calibrate the ILS. I think he said he was on the crew that installed the localizers... I'll have to ask again. His job in the USAF was the same job Ron Cribbs does. When he visits CEF, he looks for posts by either me or Ron. In civilian life he was an FAA investigator.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:42 pm

The B-17 'Sentimental Journey' is visiting our airport for the week, selling static tours and rides, AND making some nice low trips around the area.

I believe our member Travis has some history with this particular aircraft.

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 21 1_13

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 21 3_12

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 21 5_11

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 21 5_110

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 21 2_13

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 21 4_11

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 21 6_111

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 21 6_12

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 21 4_110

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 21 5_211
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 21 Empty This link made me think of Kim's great thread

Post  fredvon4 Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:18 am

Find Waldo Peppers plane in all this eye candy......grin

http://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=656700&mid=5523936#M552
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:51 pm

fredvon4 wrote:Find Waldo Peppers plane in all this eye candy......grin

http://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=656700&mid=5523936#M552

Wow Fred, way too much to asborb in one viewing but I will try.

Love the Tiger P-40

VFA 106 Oceana..Been there

Hamilton metal plane - Wonderful

C-5 - Double wow, too much

Curtis C-46 - Same. Always wanted to know how it looked in there

A-1 Skraider. Have a model in the same markings

Found Waldo

Fokker Triplane. Now I know where my soap box derby wheels went

F-16 and P-51 - Photoshop? Too close for comfort.

Pearl Harbor plane. Just read something about that. Seems there were about seven of the same type operating out of there at the time. The actual plane could not be found, log numbers did not match. Later it was determined that the operator at a later time updated her log book and in error recorded an airframe number of an aircraft manufactured at a later date after the Pearl Harbor attack. Profiled in Tora, Tora, Tora.

Thanks for sharing - Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:54 am

Thanks Fred , didn't know we had such bad A$$ planes in service ! Good stuff Pumpkin
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 21 Empty River and Rails

Post  Kim Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:55 pm

I'm not really a boat or train guy, but my gender DOES require that I take note of any real cool machines that I come across.

This LST was in Cape the same week as the B-17, and is said to have participated in the D-Day landings. It's based out of Evansville, Indiana.

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 21 1_17

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 21 1_212

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 21 2_17

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 21 4_14

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 21 10_11

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 21 11_10

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 21 12_10

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 21 13_10

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 21 14_10

From a Lindberg Line Plastic model box:

The LST, or Landing Ship Tank, was originally developed in World War II as a way of transporting tanks and trucks. LSTs first saw action in the Pacific theatre, and were extensively used in the 1944 D-Day landings by both British and American forces. By the end of the war the LST would find its way into every theater of the war serving as troop and vehicle transports, repair and supply ships, and even launching aircraft! Known to its crews as the “Large Slow Target”, the LSTs were 328 feet long and sailed at only 9 knots! LST’s were built by shipyards across the US, including many that were sailed down the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers to the sea! The defensive armament of LSTs varied but was usually a mix of 40mm and 20mm AA guns sometimes with a 3″ gun at the stern. The LST was designed to run up onto the beach and then pull itself off by winching in an anchor dropped off the stern. It could hold tanks and trucks both inside and up on deck. Originally the ships used an electric elevator to access the deck but later ships used a ramp. There was also a cargo hatch in the deck forward of the aft superstructure for additional access below. LST’s were equipped with two or more LCVP’s hung from davits on deck to aid in landing troops. They were designed to carry a 114′ LCT on deck, which was slipped off by tipping the LST to one side! Today the USS LST Memorial, located in Mobile, Alabama, has a fully restored LST and museum.

Last week, this steam locomotive made a run through Illinois and Southeast Missouri...

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 21 2_16

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 21 3_15

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 21 5_14

I was on the LST for an hour or so, but only had about 15 seconds to photograph the steam engine...the reason for the imbalanced number of photos !!!

Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:05 pm

Awesome train Kim, it was one of ten and the last one made. During the end of the line of the steam train era, these were essentially giant oil burners as they were using oil vs coal.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:16 pm

Kim!

You are so lucky to see that rare sight. My boy would have fell over if that sream engine we passed by. Awesome stuff man, life is sometimes just dandy!

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:45 pm

Thanks again for sharing. Great pictures and great history all in one.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:37 am

June 1944

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 21 Lst_1910

OMAHA. From right to left: USS LST-312,  LST-320 et LST-321; USS LST-72,  US Navy LST (LST-51_ - last number ?), LST-324 , USS LST-311; USS LST-49; USS LST-373; USS LST-47 and two LST not identified

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 21 Lst_3210

...and LST 325
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:54 am

Good stuff , Thanks for sharing i love the sound and ride of an ole steam powered train and the ships are amazing ! You to Overlord !! Eric Smoking
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 21 of 28 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 24 ... 28  Next