Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

help with deep cleaning of model engine Cox_ba12

help with deep cleaning of model engine Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by Gordinir8 Today at 9:04 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by Yabby Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Yesterday at 8:20 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

» On ebay a very special Cox engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 6:32 am

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by Admin Yesterday at 12:51 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

help with deep cleaning of model engine Empty
Live on Patrol

help with deep cleaning of model engine

Go down

help with deep cleaning of model engine Empty help with deep cleaning of model engine

Post  mitchg95 Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:50 pm

hi, i have a super tigre s2000 that i paid $60... It looked great on the outside no dirt between the cooling fins or any other grime, then i got home and opened her up, she does not look good DAMMIT! it appears that the crankchaft has a surface rust or some other thing that turned the crank shaft really dirty, i have already tried cleaning it with fuel, with no success. My question is, how can i clean this engine so that it looks brand spanking new on the inside and out
thanks, mitchg95
mitchg95
mitchg95
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

help with deep cleaning of model engine Empty Re: help with deep cleaning of model engine

Post  Puffie40 Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:04 am

Sometimes castor varnish can turn into a rusty color.

The best bet is to use some wire brushes. Brass brushes will be softer, but stainless steel will work better on iron.
Puffie40
Puffie40
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

help with deep cleaning of model engine Empty Re: help with deep cleaning of model engine

Post  jsesere Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:11 am

jsesere
jsesere
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  John Goddard Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:19 am

If it's one of the original 'Made in Italy' one's Mitch, treasure it cos they are cracking engines.
If it looks like rust it'll be just that, where it's been run then left with all the nasties
sucking water from the atmosphere and fuel into engine.
Before resurecting my OS55AX and putting it in our club trainer I left mine sitting around
in our office kitchenette (nice moist atmosphere with Kettle permanently on) for over 2 years,
when I re employed (without a strip DOH) it it needed a rebuild fairly quickly.
Whilst stripping it to replace the wrecked bits I was amazed to see rust on all the non contact surfaces.
Don't laugh I made an 'ultra sonic' (ha) jewellery type cleaner out of an aerosol tin cap, some
washing powder liquid (Aeriel I think) and my missus's vibro exercise plate machine.
Put the bits in a cap or tupperware tub or whatever turn vibro dodah on full speed and hold it
against plate for five mins.
Important don't place plastic or painted bits in, cos they won't be remain painted for long.
Then clean off and get your car paint colour restoring compound, soft cloth and elbow grease working
it'll come up like new.
Probably
Very Happy

Below are some b4 and afta shots of the last one done as above

help with deep cleaning of model engine Pictu116

help with deep cleaning of model engine Pictu118

help with deep cleaning of model engine Pictu119

help with deep cleaning of model engine Pictu120
John Goddard
John Goddard
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:57 am

Both good suggestions Mitch. The Evapo rust product is pricey but, works wonders in my experience. It lasts a while and is reuseable. You can find it locally in an auto parts store. I get mine at Auto Zone.

Most surface rust will just come off with some soaking and light scrubbing. If it's deeper get the Evapo Rust and do what John Boy said. Or just soak if you don't have a vibrating thingy.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  mitchg95 Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:24 pm

thanks guys for the suggestions, how do i get the prop drive plate off of the drive shaft that way i can get the shaft out and clean it
mitchg95
mitchg95
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PV Pilot Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:43 pm

On occasion I use some stuff called Rust Bomb, made by Conklin. They guys in the chassis shop at work turned me onto the stuff. Good for soaking and a bit more powerful than PB Blaster,,,very thin solvent that creeps and wicks in very quickly.

That drive plate is probably really locked on there Mitch,,find yourself a exploded view of that motor, to see what you have to deal with.

1000 grit sandpaper and a bit of after run oil on the paper to clean up your crank, once it is out.
PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Post  mitchg95 Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:50 pm

PV Pilot wrote:On occasion I use some stuff called Rust Bomb, made by Conklin. They guys in the chassis shop at work turned me onto the stuff. Good for soaking and a bit more powerful than PB Blaster,,,very thin solvent that creeps and wicks in very quickly.

That drive plate is probably really locked on there Mitch,,find yourself a exploded view of that motor, to see what you have to deal with.

1000 grit sandpaper and a bit of after run oil on the paper to clean up your crank, once it is out.

thanks, in my luck the motor came with a spare back plate, top of the origonal box that it came in and the instructions with a exploded view of the motor... now just to find the blasted instructions
mitchg95
mitchg95
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  jsesere Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:39 pm

jsesere
jsesere
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  mitchg95 Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:42 pm

thanks for that link, do you guys think the old anti-freeze in a crockpot trick will work?
also i cant find the instruction manual for this engine, does anyone have a exploded view of this engine they can post in this topic?

never mind, i found a exploded view drawing of the engine on super tigre's website, here it is
http://www.supertigre.com/parts/parts.pdf
mitchg95
mitchg95
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  jsesere Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:48 pm

It's supost to. I use Demon clean on anything not painted and it works great. Evap O Rust for rust.
jsesere
jsesere
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  mitchg95 Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:50 pm

jsesere wrote:It's supost to. I use Demon clean on anything not painted and it works great. Evap O Rust for rust.

cool, but how might i get the prop drive plate off of the drive shaft? is there a special tool that i need?
mitchg95
mitchg95
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PV Pilot Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:04 am

From your diagram Mitch, it looks like you have a tapered drive plate collet.

In order outside to inside, I see a prop drive nut, outer plate, inner plate and that tapered collet. If there is a overlapping stacking of the washers and spacers behind that, it impossible to tell from here or diagram.

The best, proper way to remove the drive plate off of that collet is with a mini 3 or 4 jaw gear puller. I would imagine you dont have one of those or have easy access to one, so you can carefully take two screwdrivers wrapped in some sort of protection, stick them between the plate and case and twist evenly, try not to bear down on the front bearing inner race(next to crankshaft), or that small spacer that the diagram shown. Throw a bit of heat on that drive plate and then get your screwdrivers in there and twist carefully and evenly using good jodgement. You might get somewhat lucky and it will pop right off as soon as you apply pressure,,,and then,, you might have to be a bit more patient with it. Heat, then pressure,, a bit more heat,,more pressure,,working it off the collet.

Edit: you insert the screwdrivers in behind the plate so they are opposing each other, and then twist with each hand applying opposing force,,you follow?? You will have to secure the engine case somehow, so it doesent move when you twist. work the screwdrivers around the plate using that method and it should pop free.

Last edited by PV Pilot on Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:12 am; edited 1 time in total
PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Post  mitchg95 Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:06 am

PV Pilot wrote:From your diagram Mitch, it looks like you have a tapered drive plate collet.

In order outside to inside, I see a prop drive nut, outer plate, inner plate and that tapered collet. If there is a overlapping stacking of the washers and spacers behind that, it impossible to tell from here or diagram.

The best, proper way to remove the drive plate off of that collet is with a mini 3 or 4 jaw gear puller. I would imagine you dont have one of those or have easy access to one, so you can carefully take two screwdrivers wrapped in some sort of protection, stick them between the plate and case and twist evenly, try not to bear down on the front bearing inner race(next to crankshaft), or that small spacer that the diagram shown. Throw a bit of heat on that drive plate and then get your screwdrivers in there and twist carefully and evenly using good jodgement. You might get somewhat lucky and it will pop right off as soon as you apply pressure,,,and then,, you might have to be a bit more patient with it. Heat, then pressure,, a bit more heat,,more pressure,,working it off the collet.

thanks for the input, i do want to try the crock pot trick. Will it still do its job if i dont take the crank shaft out of the crankcase
mitchg95
mitchg95
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PV Pilot Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:15 am

As far as cleaning up, I have never used the crock pot trick Mitch. I can get them clean enough without that whole setup.

I edited my above post on removing the drive plate.
PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Post  mitchg95 Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:19 am

PV Pilot wrote:As far as cleaning up, I have never used the crock pot trick Mitch. I can get them clean enough without that whole setup.

I edited my above post on removing the drive plate.

ok i re-read that edit in your first post. I might try the screw driver trick later today, thanks for the input
mitchg95
mitchg95
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  dankar04 Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:41 am

I have rebuilt many ST engines and some you need to heat engine in oven and carefully tap crank out. I doublr nut end of shaft and with wood block tap end of crank. It should start to move. I use soft block of wood at backplate as not to hurt case. Sounds like you could have bad bearings quite common with RC engines. Many RC use RC fuel all non castor and bearings rust very easy. Engine folks use very cheap low grade bearings. If china made worse yet.
dankar04
dankar04
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  mitchg95 Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:30 am

dankar04 wrote:I have rebuilt many ST engines and some you need to heat engine in oven and carefully tap crank out. I doublr nut end of shaft and with wood block tap end of crank. It should start to move. I use soft block of wood at backplate as not to hurt case. Sounds like you could have bad bearings quite common with RC engines. Many RC use RC fuel all non castor and bearings rust very easy. Engine folks use very cheap low grade bearings. If china made worse yet.

i hope the bearings are still good, the motor turns over without any roughness
mitchg95
mitchg95
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  dankar04 Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:50 am

Bearing are cheap and easy to replace if needed. If they have orange haze on them..guess what? they are rusted. If no orange then good to go. Rust never sleeps !!
dankar04
dankar04
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  mitchg95 Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:53 am

dankar04 wrote:Bearing are cheap and easy to replace if needed. If they have orange haze on them..guess what? they are rusted. If no orange then good to go. Rust never sleeps !!

i hope theres no orange haze, i just dont want to take it apart all the way bearings can be very frustrating to replace.
mitchg95
mitchg95
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  engine049 Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:06 pm

http://coxengineforum.forumakers.com/t1797-inspecting-crankcases-what-are-the-thresholds

It goes into great Detail of best cleaning methods.

The good stuff "Ideally you want an ultrasonic parts bath with TC (thermal control) Don't even thing about using a crock pot that's only for yummy production!
P.S spend more than $50 on a ultrasonic bath BTW the others you will buy are not real ultrasonic baths they are BS and they will break and are just an electro motor with a vibrator Not real ultrasonic THIS one really is real. P.SS I have real experience with buying some BS http://www.harborfreight.com/25-liter-ultrasonic-cleaner-95563.html is exactly what I have its AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!

you might be tempted to buy something like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultrasonic-Ultravibra-Wave-EyeGlasses-Jewelry-Coins-Watch-Washing-Cleaner-Washer-/160760423948?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item256e11660c DONT DO IT ITS JUNK
engine049
engine049
Gold Member
Gold Member

http://TreeTiger.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down