Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

i love my lhs - Page 3 Cox_ba12

i love my lhs - Page 3 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by Yabby Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 5:44 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Yesterday at 8:20 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

» On ebay a very special Cox engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 6:32 am

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by Admin Yesterday at 12:51 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

i love my lhs - Page 3 Empty
Live on Patrol

i love my lhs

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

i love my lhs - Page 3 Empty Re: i love my lhs

Post  Waffleman Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:22 am

sdjjadk wrote:
Waffleman wrote:
If I just need standard parts and items, I can order it online. Unless its fuel, which was the reason for my trip down yesterday.
That's one thing I never quite understood and has never made any sense to me. Why would you not want to save the shipping and wait time and buy those "standard items and parts" that are already in stock and sold at mail order prices at the hobby shop? Most if not all Hobby Shop's make a large percentage of their profit on those "Standard Parts and Items" so why not help keep them in business?    

It's sad to see that internet and mail ordering is one of the major reasons why a lot of the (once) great hobby shops either lack inventory, refuse to keep inventory or they go out of business.  

Shawn

I do most of my ordereing from www.gravesrc.com

Since they are local. I can have my stuff the next day! And I still support my LHS!
Waffleman
Waffleman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:12 pm

sdjjadk wrote:
Waffleman wrote:
If I just need standard parts and items, I can order it online. Unless its fuel, which was the reason for my trip down yesterday.
That's one thing I never quite understood and has never made any sense to me. Why would you not want to save the shipping and wait time and buy those "standard items and parts" that are already in stock and sold at mail order prices at the hobby shop? Most if not all Hobby Shop's make a large percentage of their profit on those "Standard Parts and Items" so why not help keep them in business?    

It's sad to see that internet and mail ordering is one of the major reasons why a lot of the (once) great hobby shops either lack inventory, refuse to keep inventory or they go out of business.  

Shawn

I have to drive a half hour to 45 minutes to get to the one reasonable shop in the area.  And they have no control line or 1/2A stuff other than a few left-over #309 needles and a couple of old glow heads they want $15 for.  The owners are nice, but their longest time employee is a know-it-all Ass who doesn't listen to input and talks down anything he doesn't like.  And, they have no clue about the aspects of the hobby that I like.  I've always been a 1/2A guy since the 70's.  I do buy heli's and stuff from them, as they usually match mail order.  But even then it is a small selection.

There is a hobby shop about 5-10 minutes away, but I don't trust them, as they overprice things and I've had the owner lie to me a couple of times.  I only go there if I need something now, or if I want some wood.  He does have a good wood supply that he bought from another hobby shop that went out of business a few years ago.  But the good pieces are dwindling as I and a couple of other guys buy it and the shop doesn't re-order.  As with most other places these days, they push ARFs and RTR cars.  The only actual airplane kits they sell are overpriced Guillows free flight planes.  I still drop in every few weeks to ask if they got any Cox stuff in on consignment.  Once in a while he has something that I can talk him down on, as no one else comes in looking for Cox stuff.

Whenever I take the hour and a half trip across town to fly with the guys at Walker Memorial Field, I do stop at the shop over there to buy a couple of control line things, but more to throw a little business his way than to get something I need.  But, the reality is that if I need something, it's most likely that I'll have to mail order.  That's just the way it is.

The Resigned Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  sdjjadk Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:36 am

batjac wrote:
sdjjadk wrote:
Waffleman wrote:

Shawn

I have to drive a half hour to 45 minutes to get to the one reasonable shop in the area.  And they have no control line or 1/2A stuff other than a few left-over #309 needles and a couple of old glow heads they want $15 for.  The owners are nice, but their longest time employee is a know-it-all Ass who doesn't listen to input and talks down anything he doesn't like.  And, they have no clue about the aspects of the hobby that I like.  I've always been a 1/2A guy since the 70's.  I do buy heli's and stuff from them, as they usually match mail order.  But even then it is a small selection.

There is a hobby shop about 5-10 minutes away, but I don't trust them, as they overprice things and I've had the owner lie to me a couple of times.  I only go there if I need something now, or if I want some wood.  He does have a good wood supply that he bought from another hobby shop that went out of business a few years ago.  But the good pieces are dwindling as I and a couple of other guys buy it and the shop doesn't re-order.  As with most other places these days, they push ARFs and RTR cars.  The only actual airplane kits they sell are overpriced Guillows free flight planes.  I still drop in every few weeks to ask if they got any Cox stuff in on consignment.  Once in a while he has something that I can talk him down on, as no one else comes in looking for Cox stuff.

Whenever I take the hour and a half trip across town to fly with the guys at Walker Memorial Field, I do stop at the shop over there to buy a couple of control line things, but more to throw a little business his way than to get something I need.  But, the reality is that if I need something, it's most likely that I'll have to mail order.  That's just the way it is.

The Resigned Mark

I completely understand buying online when there are either no local hobby shops or the hobby shop lacks inventory. the shop owner and or employees are rude and won't stock or offer to order what you need. But, their should be no reason to order online if you have a local hobby shop that has great service and stocks everything you need / want at "Online" prices. Or they can order something for you and still save you the shipping! Not to mention the after purchase care you get from a good hobby shop.

Shawn
sdjjadk
sdjjadk
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Waffleman Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:39 pm

I Think we missed where I said the website I order from.

www.gravesrc.com

IS the website for the best LHS near me. Its awesome that they sell online and ship, so I don't have to make an hour trip everytime I need stuff. I can have it the next day, ordering it from them.

The only time I DON'T buy from them is when I am making a LIPO battery order for my electric fleet of R/Cs. The prices for "quality" LIPO batteries are ridiculous. I can buy one battery for $80, or I can buy 4 for $20 from china and get a lot more flying time with comparable performance in most applications.
Waffleman
Waffleman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sdjjadk Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:22 pm

Waffleman wrote:And sanford only has the hobbytown.
There is a Hobbytown in Sanford now? When did they open one there?
I remember there used to be a couple decent hobby shops in Sanford. There was Flightline Hobbies that was in 2 different locations, the original spot was over by the Sanford Autotrain and then they moved over on 17-92 and they moved back to the original location and there was Hover Hobbies in the Sanford Walmart Shopping Center but they both closed down quite a few years ago. When I moved to Florida back in 97', there were tons of hobby shops around. But it seems that Superior Hobbies, Graves, Bob's Hobby Center, Colonial Photo & Hobby and I think Central Florida Hobbies are the only hobby shops left in that area.

Last edited by sdjjadk on Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
sdjjadk
sdjjadk
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Waffleman Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:27 pm

sdjjadk wrote:
There is a Hobbytown in Sanford now? When did they open one?
I remember there used to be a couple decent hobby shops in Sanford. There was Flightline Hobbies that was in 2 different locations the original spot was over by the Sanford Autotrain and then they moved over on 17-92 and they moved back to the original location and there was Hover Hobbies in the Sanford Walmart Shopping Center but they both closed down quite a few years ago.

I don't know, but its been there since I started flying 4 years ago. its in the mall.

I've only been there once. I much prefer Graves or even HighFly in daytona to hobbytown, they carry nothing.
Waffleman
Waffleman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sdjjadk Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:31 pm

Waffleman wrote:
sdjjadk wrote:
There is a Hobbytown in Sanford now? When did they open one?
I remember there used to be a couple decent hobby shops in Sanford. There was Flightline Hobbies that was in 2 different locations the original spot was over by the Sanford Autotrain and then they moved over on 17-92 and they moved back to the original location and there was Hover Hobbies in the Sanford Walmart Shopping Center but they both closed down quite a few years ago.

I don't know, but its been there since I started flying 4 years ago. its in the mall.

I've only been there once. I much prefer Graves or even HighFly in daytona to hobbytown, they carry nothing.
I heard of HiFly but I've never been in there.
sdjjadk
sdjjadk
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Waffleman Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:40 pm

Its an average LHS. Sometimes a bit overpriced, and they carry a little, but not much, of everything. I don't recall ever seeing anything cox there.

http://www.highflyhobbies.com/
Waffleman
Waffleman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sdjjadk Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:13 am

Waffleman wrote:Its an average LHS. Sometimes a bit overpriced, and they carry a little, but not much, of everything. I don't recall ever seeing anything cox there.

If you're ever in the area of 50 and 436, check out Bob's Hobby Center over on Goldenrod Rd.
It's a neat little store. Steve is the owner and he as well as the staff are very friendly.

http://www.bobshobbycenter.com
i love my lhs - Page 3 Store110
sdjjadk
sdjjadk
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Waffleman Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:47 pm

I've heard of the place, but I've never been. I need to one of theses days.
Waffleman
Waffleman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:51 am

sdjjadk wrote:
Waffleman wrote:Its an average LHS. Sometimes a bit overpriced, and they carry a little, but not much, of everything. I don't recall ever seeing anything cox there.

If you're ever in the area of 50 and 436, check out Bob's Hobby Center over on Goldenrod Rd.
It's a neat little store.  Steve is the owner and he as well as the staff are very friendly.

That's a nice looking hobby shop there sdjjadk , still have not found a good one around here with in 30 miles after KC hobbies retired Smile Eric
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  sdjjadk Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:05 pm

getback wrote:
sdjjadk wrote:

It's a neat little store.  Steve is the owner and he as well as the staff are very friendly.

That's a nice looking hobby shop there sdjjadk , still have not found a good one around here with in 30 miles after KC hobbies retired Smile Eric
Yeah they have a great shop. They even painted the floor to look like a runway which was a neat touch.
Are you in Florida too?

Shawn
sdjjadk
sdjjadk
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GUS THE I.A. Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:59 am

Everything I want comes from the local hobby shop. I may occasionally make a deal with someone on here, or StuntHangar to procure an item that I can't live without, but I don't buy from on-line retailers-And I've been completely satisfied. They must understand where there paycheck originates.

Invite them to go flying with you, so they can see 1st hand, what their support allows. They may then develop an opinion that this is something people CAN do, and they should get on the bandwagon. At the least, ask them to hang one of your C/L planes from their ceiling, so customers can see what one actually looks like-in person!

There are approximately 5 Hobby Shops in this area: A "chain" store, with the cellphone ckerks, and ARF inventory, a long-established Mom & Pop Shop that is now being carried by gun and shooting supplies, I think, A very good Model Train store, a Science Education Center-that has a focus on rockets and telescopes and glass equipment and school stuff, another Shop has their thrust as R/C Cars and stuff, and the one I frequent is one guy and his 13 year old son. Cribbs knows this one. Oh, and there's one in Derby that I heard is set-up for day care and Home Schooling. I've never been in that one.

But, the point I'm making here, is: You can get anything you want, at one of our local shops. You don't have to get on a computer, to get stuff for your hobby. Just drive down here, or turn over there, there's even a shop that deals with RailRoad Tracks. Yeah, you can get anything you want, at our local hobby shops!
GUS THE I.A.
GUS THE I.A.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next