Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 7 Cox_ba12

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 7 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Draco Goes Flying, But Misses the Eclipse
by HalfaDave Yesterday at 9:59 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» music vids.. some of your favorites
by crankbndr Yesterday at 7:26 pm

» Enya .09 II Questions
by Surfer_kris Yesterday at 2:45 pm

» Wen Mac .049 - Conditioning.
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:21 pm

» Happy 53rd birthday Mauricio!!!
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 11:22 am

» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 10:57 am

» UV Restore of Yellowed Decals
by Levent Suberk Yesterday at 8:59 am

» 22mm 2-blade nylon marine prop and solid-shaft drive
by roddie Yesterday at 6:46 am

» Post edit??
by roddie Yesterday at 5:33 am

» Original Super Power fuel formula?
by HalfaDave Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:28 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 7 Empty
Live on Patrol

Automobiles you don't see everyday...

Page 7 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 7 Empty Re: Automobiles you don't see everyday...

Post  fredvon4 Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:43 pm

Yea Ron, I too wish for a revisit to a similar micro truck/car.

One of the hoopties we had was a Subaru Brat with two plastic seats in the rear
Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 7 Subaru10
a soldier buddy got it cheap from me

Fried of mine had a 70 El Camino with a blown(broken) 454 that we tubbed, narrowed rear, very fat drag slicks, and a crate BB 500 somthin CI fire breather that went through the trap at 11.13 fairly consistently until the tranny blew
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 7 Empty Re: Automobiles you don't see everyday...

Post  roddie Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:05 pm

Mark Boesen wrote:hey Roddie!

Drove the '53 (stovebolt 6, powerglide) for another couple months, till I found a '59 Olds Holiday couple Super 88, with a 394, 4bbl., lol, it would bury the speedo and keep climbing.
Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 7 _59_ol10

Super 88! The old Oldsmobiles were "land-rockets" Years ago.. an old buddy of mine bought a 66 Olds 98 sedan/boat.. Laughing 425 "Rocket" V8.. full-option cruiser. He blew the motor when racing a guy driving a Caddy sedan. It was a 1/4 mile strip of interstate in Franklin. MA with two Franklin exits approx. 3/4mi. apart. He was behind the Caddy in the "quarter".. but neither driver let-off the gas. They must have been attaining speeds of 140mph+ at the 1/2 mi. point. My buddy's Old's limped off the highway.. and he drove it to my Grandparent's house nearby. When I got there, he told me of the race and said; "listen to this.." He started the engine.. and I'll never forget the awful sound it made. I think he'd spun a crank bearing.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:36 am

fredvon4 wrote:Late 1973, my dad gave me a well used 4th owner 65 Falcon Ranchero. My first set of wheels;
289 Hi output 4bbl, Borg  Warner T10 4sp, and 4:10 rear. A real sleeper but a lot of wheel spin.... I later popped in a posi dif and a lot of power adder work to a engine rebuild and Painted it Chevy Vette Targa Blue...It would run 12.599 at SIR (Seattle International Raceway)
Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 7 65_fal10

Interesting!!.  Did you folks know that the first "Coupe Utility" was invented and produced right here in Ausslie Land?  Check out this page.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coupé_utility

The green '36 Roadster Utility on the right belongs to a friend of mine from our vintage machinery group.

I owned one like this '64 a while back but sold it before getting it back on the road due to other committments.
Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 7 Xp10

Ford Australia have been building "Utes" since '34 and Falcons since 1960 'til today.  Ford, GM and Toyota are all stopping production of vehicles in Australia by 2016.  Your late U.S. model Pontiac GTO (Holden Monaro) and Chev Lumina (Holden Commodore) were built here and the Camaro is built on the Aussie rear-drive platform.  Sadly, not for much longer.  

The little Subaru Brat that was pictured was sold here as the "Brumby" (the Aussie name for a wild horse).  Still lots getting around and very popular.  I think Subaru made a mistake by only producing one model as I think they would sell really well.

Rod.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:09 am

Every COX fan will like this Smoking :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5ytps0VDuI

Be sure to turn the sound up Very Happy

I have a stock 1958 Saab 93B, Toreador Red just like the car on the video. Mine is an "easy project", I have had it inspected and on the road before but right now it is in storage. It needs some sheetmetal work and general freshening-up. Great fun on a winding non-crowded roads, but a little slow and laborous to drive in the modern day traffic. Not hard though, comparable to later V4 Saabs or stock VW Beetles. It cruises nice at about 50-60mph, I've had it up to 80+mph, did not dare to go faster because of the old tires I had at the time.
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  gossie Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:28 am

I saw Erik Carlsson rallying one in the early '60s. What a magnificent sound it made.
gossie
gossie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:33 am

What a wonderful sound. Loved the Doppler effect in the final few seconds.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:23 am

lol, I hate to say it, but that was actually kind of cool!
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:58 pm

KariFS wrote:Every COX fan will like this Smoking :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5ytps0VDuI

Be sure to turn the sound up Very Happy

I have a stock 1958 Saab 93B, Toreador Red just like the car on the video. Mine is an "easy project", I have had it inspected and on the road before but right now it is in storage. It needs some sheetmetal work and general freshening-up. Great fun on a winding non-crowded roads, but a little slow and laborous to drive in the modern day traffic. Not hard though, comparable to later V4 Saabs or stock VW Beetles. It cruises nice at about 50-60mph, I've had it up to 80+mph, did not dare to go faster because of the old tires I had at the time.

You're right! Cool vid! What was considered the "red-line" when revving-out? Where the cars equipped with tachs? It's gotta' be up there.. over 10 grand?
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:04 pm

....10k on 25% nitro, 12500 with 35% Shocked
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  gossie Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:14 pm

Further to my post on seeing Carlsson rallying one of those strokers, I've had a think about it and it was in fact the 1965 BP Rally in Australia, and he had his Wife Pat Moss-Carlsson with him navigating.

Pat of course was a wonderful rally driver in her own right, driving all sorts of things including those booming Austin Healey 3000s in the '60s.......Two friends of mine had genuine ones, not replicas, back in the '80s and 90s.  I had a BN1 100/4 at the time so we were all in the AH club together.

Erik is still going, but Pat who was Stirling Moss's sister passed away about 5 or 6 years ago.

Lots of info. via Google, including a short vid of the Carlssons in the BP in '65 if your further interested.

Last edited by gossie on Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:19 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Correct spelling.)
gossie
gossie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Surfer_kris Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:33 pm

Yeah, the old Saabs are great, you can't drive them to go shopping without sounding like you are in a real hurry.
They used to be a common sight when I was a kid but now you only see them at exhibitions/meetings...

Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  gossie Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:44 pm

Thanks Kris......Some sensational vids in that lot including the stroker drag car doing burnouts. Thanks, great stuff.
gossie
gossie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:46 pm

This is for Lieven.

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  gossie Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:37 pm

Interesting things Ledwinka Tatra's. But scary in the wet with a big engine hanging out the back, simple rear suspension, along with cross ply tires. All VERY early Vee Dubish.

Back in the '70s a guy a few houses from where we lived then had a black one.
gossie
gossie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:39 pm

Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:52 pm

roddie wrote:
You're right! Cool vid! What was considered the "red-line" when revving-out? Where the cars equipped with tachs? It's gotta' be up there.. over 10 grand?

I think the max rpm for the red one in the vid is over 8000. These guys raced (and won their class) at LeMans Classic five or six years ago (Google "Retrospective Motorsport" if interested) and that engine had its max power at 7000 or 7500. It's a three-cylinder engine so it really screams at those speeds. I think the stock ones had their red line at 5500 or so. The better equipped GT750 and later Monte Carlo models had a hopped-up engine with 3 carbs, a wooden steering wheel, tach and even a Halda Speedpilot as standard equipment. Mine is only a "De Luxe", so no tach or other goodies, and the engine is just a single-carb basic model.
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:00 pm

roddie wrote:This is for Lieven.

Thanks Roddie for posting this movie. It's a nice story... and I love the man's garden!!

The T87 could be surprizing in the wet. But that improved after the war when Julius Mackerle replaced Ledwinka. The T603 had a weight distribution of 47% fwd and 53% aft which is not bad for a car with a V8 located behind the rear axle.

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 7 810

Lieven
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:34 pm

Thought I'd resurrect this thread with some interesting stuff. Down my street and up the main road a few houses lives this guy who sells "stuff" frequently.. and it's not cheap. He had a yard-sale last Summer.. and most of the "stuff" was outrageously priced.. Huh...

Well a few weeks ago I see this "thing" for sale out on the curb..

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 7 Photo-13

So naturally... I had to get a closer look.. (sorry.. phone-cam images)

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 7 Photo-14
Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 7 Photo-15
Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 7 Photo-17
Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 7 Photo-16

I thought.. "you gotta' be kidding me"....... Laughing $3500.00?? What? I wouldn't be caught dead in that thing..  lol!

What was sitting in his driveway was much nicer though. I'd seen it before.. but I think it's a kit-car made for a full-size GM RWD chassis.. (I knew another fella that had one..)

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 7 Photo-18
Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 7 Photo-19
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:45 am

My favourite vintage motor: Vauxhall 30/98, far better than a Bentley!

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 7 Vauxha10
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:45 pm

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 7 1957_f10
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:41 am

Ah, the lovely 1957 Ferrari Scaglietti

How about a hand built Kircher Special

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 7 Kirche10

Or, one I could actually own.

Some 8 hours later from this mornings post.

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 7 350z_010

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 7 350z_012

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 7 350z_011

Pulled the trigger on this 2007 Nissan 350Z in the interim. Bye MX-5 Sad
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:09 am

Anno 2002. Me in the 1949 HRG Le Mans Lightweight.

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 7 Hrg_le10
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:14 am

Cool photo Lieven Cool

If it was me on the pic I would have it printed B&W and framed in my den Smile

Here's another unusual vehicle, not as prestigious as the others in this thread, nevertheless somewhat rare worldwide, and one I used to own.

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 7 Image31

I had owned it for a long time, it needed minor work to be roadworthy but I just never got around to fixing it. I also had no place to keep it, and it had been sitting in a small car museum for the last 4-5 years. Then the museum changed its "theme" and started to build an exhibition of the vehicles of the Eastern Block ( Shocked Mad Rolling Eyes ) and it got moved outdoors. So it had to go Sad

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 7 Image32

Bye bye Saab...

I used the money to buy a Harley so it was not entirely a sad thing. And the little Saab is in a much better home now, probably soon on the road again.
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:21 am

Way to shame me Lieven with my pedestrian 350Z.  Smile  Beautiful roadster and a poster picture.  High envy quotient.

And Kari, I have seen many a car leave my driveway that I would love to have had the space to keep under cover.

I do love that 350Z though.  Two extra cylinders, a whole lot more horse power, an extra gear and throw in leather, homelink and I don't know what else.  

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 7 Lotus_10

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 7 Lotus_11

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 7 Mgb_fi10

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:23 am

While out on an errand yesterday, this oldie pulled-out behind me and followed me up to a traffic signal. As luck would have it; the light turned RED as we approached. There was a left-turn lane which he chose.. allowing me to get a quick photo using my phone-cam.

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 7 1950s_10

An early/mid 1950's Dodge. Those twin-stacks were both puffing/functional.. which I thought was super-cool! Smoking Smoking
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next