Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

My other learning plane. Cox_ba12

My other learning plane. Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Draco Goes Flying, But Misses the Eclipse
by HalfaDave Today at 9:59 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by davidll1984 Today at 9:15 pm

» music vids.. some of your favorites
by crankbndr Today at 7:26 pm

» Enya .09 II Questions
by Surfer_kris Today at 2:45 pm

» Wen Mac .049 - Conditioning.
by MauricioB Today at 12:21 pm

» Happy 53rd birthday Mauricio!!!
by MauricioB Today at 11:47 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Today at 11:22 am

» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Today at 10:57 am

» UV Restore of Yellowed Decals
by Levent Suberk Today at 8:59 am

» 22mm 2-blade nylon marine prop and solid-shaft drive
by roddie Today at 6:46 am

» Post edit??
by roddie Today at 5:33 am

» Original Super Power fuel formula?
by HalfaDave Yesterday at 7:28 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

My other learning plane. Empty
Live on Patrol

My other learning plane.

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

My other learning plane. Empty My other learning plane.

Post  batjac Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:44 pm

As I said in the other thread, I learned to fly on a Q-Tee and an E-Z Bee.  I finished the E-Z Bee, so now to finish a Q-Tee.  I started building this Q-Tee from scratch 20 years ago, but moving made me stop after building the fuse and tail surfaces.  After all this time, I've lost the tail surfaces and original plans from RCM, but I still have this fuse.  I downloaded a .pdf of the plans, and I'll try to finish it this week.  I also decided I want to use an old Cox Cadet III to control it for nostalgia's sake, but I want to bring the electronics to the new Millenium.  I've been thinking about upgrading the Cadet for a while, so I'll start this build with the radio.
My other learning plane. DSCN0768_zps5a6b5398My other learning plane. DSCN0715_zpse189a333

The Q-Tee Mark (at least my wife says so...)
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

My other learning plane. Empty I'll start with the radio

Post  batjac Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:58 pm

Since I wanted a radio for the period that I learned to fly, I bought this transmitter on eBay.  It was just the transmitter, with no flight pack, and no antenna.  Since I was going to convert it, I didn't care if it was missing these things.  As you can see, it was silver stickered in 8/88.  It looked well used, but I decided to take a chance.  When it arrived, I pulled the Channel 54 crystal and replaced it with a channel 48 crystal from a Cobra III radio, then tested it using the receiver and servos from the Cobra radio to make sure it was worth it to continue.  The transmitter still worked, so I figured it was okay to go ahead with the project.  I'll apologize now, as this part of the thread will have a lot of pictures.

As you can see, the transmitter is a little brick, but feels okay in the hand.
My other learning plane. DSCN0715_zpse189a333
My other learning plane. DSCN0716_zps9d1f5be5
My other learning plane. DSCN0717_zpse573db76
My other learning plane. DSCN0719_zps30595a54
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

My other learning plane. Empty The conversion board

Post  batjac Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:22 pm

To do the conversion, I decided to use the FrSky DIY Telemetry module (http://www.alofthobbies.com/diy-telemetry-module.html).  It had good reviews over on RCG, so I went with it.  It only needs three connections to work: 1) +voltage, 2) ground, and 3) a PPM signal.  I just had to figure out where on the circuit board the PPM signal came from.  Opening the transmitter showed this little circuit board:
My other learning plane. DSCN0730_zps12dedb56

I searched the internet for days looking for schematics for the Cadet III, but could find none.  I also couldn't find a good schematic of the OKI L9362 chip.  The only clear schematic on a L9362 didn't look like the one in the Cadet.   As a side note, the OKI L9362 is also used in the Cox Cobra radios. So, I spent a while searching other pages on doing a 2.4Ghz conversion, and found one that had data on the OKI chip.  The signal comes from pin 9 of the OKI chip. I marked the trace with a black pen mark.  Instead of soldering the signal wire at the OKI chip, I followed the trace up to what I figured was a better place to solder the lead.  You can see where I marked the trace, and where soldered the yellow signal lead in these pictures:
My other learning plane. DSCN0736_zps584b28f9
My other learning plane. DSCN0739_zps2c1ca714
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

My other learning plane. Empty Powering it up

Post  batjac Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:38 pm

Most of the conversions I've seen have the power leads soldered to the circuit board somewhere, but I hate intricate soldering. I chose to take the + voltage directly off of the power switch, and the ground off of the power meter ground terminal. In the following photo, you can see the + voltage lead soldered to the top of the power switch, and the ground lead to the right side of the power meter. In the photo, you can also see how well the module fits into the right side of the transmitter, between the case and the throttle potentiometer. A nice snug fit.
My other learning plane. DSCN0748_zps500283b0

2.photobucket.com/albums/d26/batjac/DSCN0750_zps662cbac9.jpg[/IMG][/URL]g.
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

My other learning plane. Empty Antenna and binding board

Post  batjac Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:44 pm

I trimmed off the housing for the old antenna from the top of the case and mounted the new antenna in the open hole.
My other learning plane. DSCN0721_zps7c21a954
My other learning plane. DSCN0750_zps662cbac9

The module has a small board that has a pushbutton for binding and a L.E.D. that needs to be mounted remotely.  I located and drilled a couple of holes for the button and light in the back of the transmitter.  I used a couple of bamboo skewers for mounting the board and glued them to the case, and then attached the remote board.  Here is how it looks from the inside and outside:
My other learning plane. DSCN0728_zps428aed4e
My other learning plane. DSCN0752_zps076ea1a7
My other learning plane. DSCN0753_zpsad58e3fc
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

My other learning plane. Empty Stuffing it all together

Post  batjac Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:10 pm

With the binding board mounted and all the wires routed, its ready to close up.  There's also a 3-way switch to toggle telemetry that needs to be mounted on the case, but since I'm using a receiver without data feedback, I just set it for no telemetry and stuffed it inside.  The last thing was to pull the AM crystal so that there was no chance of a weak signal being broadcast, even with no antenna.

Here it is ready to close:
My other learning plane. 294c1c6f-4d21-48e1-9249-86de1e071141_zps01e35719
My other learning plane. DSCN0754_zpsa4030a94

And all buttoned up!  I was going to clean it up nice and pretty, but I changed my mind.  If I'm going for the retro thing, I figured I'd leave it with all it's battle scars and age marks, even if it does look rode hard and put away wet.  I left the Channel 54 sticker on the front, also.  Just looks right.
My other learning plane. DSCN0760_zpsbbc30a53
My other learning plane. DSCN0761_zps0d6da596
My other learning plane. DSCN0762_zps8a4109f4

I bound the transmitter to the receiver and tested it.  It all worked, but I did have to spend some time modifying and re-positioning the throttle pot and lever.  Somehow the previous owner had rotated the pot in its mounting bracket and the servos would do strange things when the throttle lever was moved all the way down.  I also removed the ratchet, and the lever motion is smoother now.

So there you have it. A period Cox Cadet III radio brought up to modern standards.

The "Dragged Kicking and Screaming into the New Millenium" Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

My other learning plane. Empty Re: My other learning plane.

Post  WingingIt74 Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:54 am

Very cool!
WingingIt74
WingingIt74
Top Poster
Top Poster

https://www.facebook.com/wingingit74/

Back to top Go down

My other learning plane. Empty On to the plane

Post  batjac Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:30 pm

Okay, time to get the airframe going.  I started on the wing ribs this afternoon.  Boy, these ribs are stout!  I checked the plans three times, and each time it said to make the ribs from 3/32" balsa.  1/16" seems more natural, but I'll go by the plans.  I sorted through my wood and pulled the lightest 3/32" sheets I had. One sheet of 3"x36" is enough to make the ribs.  I made an extra pair of wing ribs, as I'm still debating adding an extra bay to each side of the wing since I'm going to use three channels for the plane, adding throttle for the engine.  With that 7" chord, though, it should be okay.  Here're the wing blanks cut to 1 1/2" by 6" stacked and ready to cut:
My other learning plane. DSCN0769_zpsa17f41e0
My other learning plane. DSCN0771_zps2a9a52ae

And cutting the ribs on the scroll saw.  I did it in two sets of 5 blanks to make it easier and smoother.
My other learning plane. DSCN0773_zpsf5bacbdc

And the cut out ribs:
My other learning plane. DSCN0775_zpsc8ca3d2a

The Cuttin' Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:26 pm

Mark, you might try to run a couple pins up thru the bottom so the ribs don't shift while you're cutting them, cover the heads of pins with masking tape so they don't catch on jig saw.
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:04 pm

I haven't mastered making accurate cuts with my scroll saw yet. So far, I haven't used it a lot for delicate parts though. Pretty soon I'll be cutting ribs too.

Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:11 pm

i like to pin multiple parts, that way if you let go or change approach angle you can go right back to where you want to or stopped cutting, easy peasy.
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:45 pm

Mark Boesen wrote:Mark, you might try to run a couple pins up thru the bottom so the ribs don't shift while you're cutting them, cover the heads of pins with masking tape so they don't catch on jig saw.
Mark, what I do when cutting the blanks is to put all the blanks on a piece of cardboard, then lightly dust them with 3M 77 spray adhesive. Then, stack them and press together. This keeps them tight together while going through saw, and then I just pass a blade between the ribs to separate them. That's the technique I've been using for the past 25 years. Never had a problem with shifting parts. I also use a light dusting of 3M 77 on wood to hold the plans to it while cutting. Then the paper just peels away after the parts have been cut and sanded.
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:50 pm

I didn't even try the scroll saw with my flite streak double build ribs (on stunthanger, not here) maybe I should have.  I have used the scroll saw for all the plywood and the thicker balsa so far.  The 1/16 balsa made me shy away a little actually.

I need to get some spray glue and try it.

I have noticed that the blade quality affects how the cut tracks more than the saw itself.  Using a slightly more expensive bare end blade I get straighter cuts than with a cheaper bare or pin end blade.  I think the more expensive saw blade is sharpened and a proper kerf is set, instead of being merely stamped and left like the really cheap blades are.

Cool conversion, and nice looking plane.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:52 pm

...with the pins theres no glue needed, less mess and probably faster.
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:59 pm

We have a tool store nearby, for contractors and goofballs like me too. I should stop in and talk to someone there about my saw blades.

Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:47 pm

make sure they're fine tooth blades, you want 20 TPI at least, teeth per inch.
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

My other learning plane. Empty Starting the wing

Post  batjac Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:22 am

Started the wing.  I went ahead and left the wing at 36".  I printed off right and left wing sheets and taped them together. I pinned the right wing plan  on my board under some Glad cling wrap.  Then pinned the ribs, spar, and trailing edge in place.
My other learning plane. DSCN0782_zpsbb2d1498

Ribs, L.E, and T.E. glued up.  The L.E. was a pain since it's just 1/4" spruce carved to shape.  I know my razor plane is somewhere within a 10' radius of me as I type this, but for the life of me I can't find it. Mad I just had to use an X-Acto knife to carve it to shape.
My other learning plane. DSCN0784_zpsf8f83617

And most of the 1/16" center sheeting in place.  I didn't cover that last little bit because I have one leftover piece of 1/16 that I'm using for both sides, and I'll wait until I cover the other side also to see what I have for scraps to fill in the open sections.
My other learning plane. DSCN0786_zpscba0b0b8

And the underside. I'll clean up the joints and sand just before joining the two wing halves:
My other learning plane. DSCN0787_zps29adfbd4

And now on to the left wing panel.  I just LOVE CA glue.  Building just screams along with CA and accelerator.  Unfortunately, I didn't have one complete 36" piece of 1" trailing edge in the wood box.  I had one that was long enough to do the right wing, but I had to join a couple of left over pieces to make the left wing.  Ah, well.  I'm going to cover it with opaque Monokote anyway, so it won't be noticeable.  Pics of pinning in place and with the ribs glued to the T.E. and spar.  It's a little late, so I will tackle carving the L.E.  and sheeting tomorrow.
My other learning plane. DSCN0788_zps12b1e647
My other learning plane. DSCN0789_zpsb0600078

More to come,

The Up Past His Bedtime Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:46 am

Well, I was able to get back to the Q-Tee this evening.  I finished up the wing panels.  I'll sand and join the wing halves this weekend when I have more time to take it slow with the alignment of the center joiner.  Here's the upper and lower sheeting finished, and the cabane cutouts done:
My other learning plane. DSCN0804_zps5207331f
My other learning plane. DSCN0806_zps79fbc8f5

And on to the tail surfaces.  Man!  This thing is built like a tank!  The fin is 1/8" sheet.  Making the fin from one rectangular piece of balsa:
My other learning plane. DSCN0793_zps31b818cf
My other learning plane. DSCN0795_zps52e6aefb

And framing up the stab.  The plans call for making it from 3/16" sheet and sticks! Shocked   That seems WAY too thick.  I went ahead and dropped down to 1/8" sheet and sticks to frame up the stab, and even then it seems very stout.
My other learning plane. DSCN0796_zps29b4547c
My other learning plane. DSCN0797_zpsf405582d
My other learning plane. DSCN0799_zps05e6c524

And the stab all glued up and pins removed.  Did I mention I love CA glue?
My other learning plane. DSCN0801_zps9f6206be

The fin and stab together.  I really like how the fin actually slides down in between the center of the stab sheeting instead of just gluing on top of the stab.  I'll have to be sure to do that with all my other models in the future.
My other learning plane. DSCN0802_zpsd4cd6441
My other learning plane. DSCN0803_zps77cb73d4

I'll final sand once I make the elevator and rudder.  But it's again past my bedtime.  Work in 7 hours.

The Drowsy Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:08 am

Well, I've been procrastinating on finishing this model, hoping that I'd be inspired and create a "Super, Gee-Whiz" paint scheme, but nothing's come to me.  So, I figured I'd just go ahead and finish it in the standard Batjac Aeroworks© color scheme and get it done.  I went with a simple Monokote finish, as painting is still out due to the rain.  The first things covered were the wing and fuselage.  Sorry, I didn't take pictures as I was covering, but it's just a straight forward cover job.  The tail surfaces took a little more time, as I chose to use my favorite Monokote hinges.  I know a lot of people like the Monokote hinges where your create a seam with the top and bottom Monokote sealed together to make the hinge.  Personally, I like my Monokote hinges more like the old cloth hinges.  Works the same, but better.

First, I cut a strip of my base color Monokote 1/2" wide.  Then I cut 3/4" pieces off, and iron them face to face to create the hinges.
My other learning plane. DSCN0984_zps9d885e54
My other learning plane. DSCN0986_zps635390f6
My other learning plane. DSCN0988_zps933441a6
My other learning plane. DSCN0989_zpsdffbce4c

Then, I take another piece of base color Monokote and put a strip along the mating surfaces of each tail surface.  Then, iron on the hinges the same as you would glue cloth hinges.
My other learning plane. DSCN0991_zps6434e893

When you're done, iron on the finish pieces of Monokote on your tail surfaces.  With this type of hinge, there's almost no gap, but the tail surfaces can be folded over on themselves easily.  
My other learning plane. DSCN0994_zps86ac9c0a
My other learning plane. DSCN0992_zps4d9c5ab8

And, no matter what angle the surface is moved to, these is still no gap between the tail surfaces.
My other learning plane. DSCN1002_zps85a7f529
My other learning plane. DSCN1006_zps3b5e6071
My other learning plane. DSCN1004_zpsc9d4b7c4
My other learning plane. DSCN1007_zps981cec19
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:13 am

And, with the tail surfaces glued in place, motor mounted, and radio equipment installed, it's ready for a good flying day for her maiden.
My other learning plane. DSCN1008_zps6dd9d39e
My other learning plane. DSCN1014_zps4fdbef95

I'm trying out Bernie's throttle for a Reedie.
My other learning plane. DSCN1010_zps00aeaea6
My other learning plane. DSCN1023_zps76c2f3b9

The Uninspired Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  tru168 Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:45 am

Hi,

What is the all up weight please ? please share video how it fly if possible ;-)
tru168
tru168
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:50 am

Beautiful work Mark. Let us know how it flies.
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:34 am

Very nice work. When I have time this evening I'll read all about it more closely.

Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:44 am

Really nice work, ought to be a real fun flier. Beer Cheers 

Nice thing about Q-Tee is that it has generous wing area, so it flies on its wings, but is aerodynamically clean enough that it has good penetration.

Back in the 1990's, I flew one at 6,500 feet (1,981 meters) elevation in Gallup, New Mexico. Due to the different in atmospheric air pressure, 11.5 PSIA (0.78 Atm) versus 14.7 PSIA (1.0 Atm) at sea level, there is a loss in horsepower of about 20 to 25 percent.

Normally one would upgrade the engine to an AME or Tee Dee .049 or Thunder Tiger .07 (back then, I don't think the TT GP-07 was out yet). I could still fly my Q-Tee with Cox .049 Black Widow engine, because of its generous wing area.

Have fun with your Q-Tee and throttled .049 Sure Start. Babe Bee We'll need a flight report and photos or video if possible.  RC Plane
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:08 am

For George Hostler.....Welcome to the forum sir!  Beer Cheers 
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next