Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Need help identifying a Cox Pt - 19 Variant - Page 2 Cox_ba12

Need help identifying a Cox Pt - 19 Variant - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by Yabby Today at 7:47 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by balogh Today at 7:23 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 5:44 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Yesterday at 8:20 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

» On ebay a very special Cox engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 6:32 am

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by Admin Yesterday at 12:51 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Need help identifying a Cox Pt - 19 Variant - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

Need help identifying a Cox Pt - 19 Variant

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Need help identifying a Cox Pt - 19 Variant - Page 2 Empty Re: Need help identifying a Cox Pt - 19 Variant

Post  john cole Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:48 pm

Ron,
I believe it is too. And since it's an open nose-painted pilot version, it may be somewhat earlier than I said. '65-'68 if memory serves.
I don't think that an odd color mix would necessarily be more valuable to a collector, it's just kind of an oddity I think.

There are some questions I have regarding the QZ Trainers, perhaps that should be its own thread?
Thanks again you guys.
John
john cole
john cole
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

Need help identifying a Cox Pt - 19 Variant - Page 2 Empty Re: Need help identifying a Cox Pt - 19 Variant

Post  Mark Boesen Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:53 pm

Nice pics, its pretty easy once you've figured it out....I think its one of the many things that make this forum so fun.

Rats, I was looking for green? I wouldn't call it green, its definitely a different blue then the later models and does have a slight greenish tint to it, but its still more blue then green. This color was somewhat common during the mid-late sixties.

I don't know who put this together, but its probably the most complete breakdown of the PT-19, domestic version:

1st version (1960-1965)
Motor –Baby Bee with Thimble-Drome etched into the aluminum tank. Black rubber spinner, early round tip Thimble-Drome nylon prop.
Firewall – Tank mounted motor and opposite the color of the fuselage. Tab on the back to indicate the angle of the motor. Beginner-Advanced.
Fuselage – Open at the front to allow motor to tip out during crash. No reinforced areas and very thin and light. Note: The earliest version of Fuse in 1960-61 has far less panel line detail present. The initial lines are there but that is it.
Pilots - assembled from 2 pieces. Left and Right halves with mounting tabs on the shoulders. They were not painted and were injected in the color opposite the fuselage.
Windshields – separate units attached to the top of the fuselage with two tabs to locate. Plastic welded. Color: The yellow was a more Canary Yellow and the blue has a grayness.

2nd version (1966-1970)
Motor –Baby Bee with Thimble Drome etched into the aluminum tank for early portion of the run. Toward the end this etching was not on the tank.
Firewall – Tank mounted motor and opposite the color of the fuselage. Tab on the back to indicate the angle of the motor. Beginner-Advanced. Fuselage – Open at the front to allow motor to tip out during crash. No reinforced areas and very thin and light. Panel and rivet detail continued from the 62 and on version. Toward the end of the run for this model the area around the motor may be trimmed away more to alleviate warping from exhaust.
Pilots - assembled from 2 pieces. Left and Right halves with mounting tabs on the shoulders. Painted but with the color of the plastic that they were molded from left exposed as the color of the shirt they were wearing. One guy in a Blue shirt and the other in Yellow per plane.
Windshields – separate units attached to the top of the fuselage with two tabs to locate. Plastic welded. Color: The yellow changed and was a more standard and darker or School Bus yellow and the blue changed to a lighter Blue.

3rd version (1970-1973)
Motor –Baby Bee with integral tank as on earlier versions. Firewall – Tank mounted motor and opposite the color of the fuselage. Tab on the back to indicate the angle of the motor. Beginner-Advanced.
Fuselage – Same but with a cross bar added to join the left and right sides in front of the motor. Also the opening for the motor is smaller if looking at it from the top.
Pilots - assembled from 2 pieces. Left and Right halves with mounting tabs on the shoulders. Painted with the color of the plastic that they were molded from left exposed as the color of the shirt they were wearing. One guy in a Blue shirt and the other in Yellow per plane.
Windshields – separate units attached to the top of the fuselage with two tabs to locate. Plastic welded. Wing- Rubber band posts are reinforced somewhere during this run.
Color: Same as version 2

4th version (1974)
Motor –Initial version had Baby Bee but changed to a motor with a plastic back plate. Primarily In Red plastic.
Firewall – Tank mounted motor became unit with a plastic back plate and required a different and deeper firewall to make up the difference in length. Yellow in color. May be a blue. Not sure but all eventually became black.
Fuselage – Initial units had no integrated tank for Baby Bee but changed to integral tank. Initial filler and overflow nipples were the same size in front of the windshield and later changed to 1 nipple with a larger overflow and floating valve out of black plastic. Side lugs were added for to strap rubber bands under the wing from front to back. Tank: Molded in plastic matching the fuselage with an offset triangular shape to drain fuel on the right side and keep motor fed using centrifugal force. Pilots /Windshields – Assembled a complete and separate interior that included the windshields. Mounted from inside on two posts that were mushroomed with heat to keep this in place. Heads were larger and shirts on the pilots were orange. This was a more complete pilot with full torso. Instruments are a sticker on the dash. Elevator – 2nd position and slower adjustment for pushrod added. This may have been added during the end of the 3rd version.
Color: Blue became darker.

5th version (Early 80’s)
Motor – Motor with a plastic back plate.
Firewall – Deeper firewall continues to make up the difference in length from the Baby Bee. Black in color. Tank: Molded in clear/white plastic much like a film canister and now round in shape with an offset single nipple drain. No longer triangular in shape and motor can starve during nose up situations.
Fuselage – Completely different fuselage. Rivet detail and lines have changed although it looks traditional. Windshields are only a very vertical frame and Pilots shoulders are formed into the back of the cockpit. Big Dudley Do-right heads that are heat welded in place from below. The heads nearly always break off. Overall a thicker and more durable fuselage.
Color: Same Darker Blue and the yellow is School bus or Safety yellow.

6th version (Early 90’s)
Motor –Cox Sure Start. Firewall – Deeper firewall but this version is different to clear the snorkel on the Sure Start motor and the wire on the landing gear is formed differently. Tank: Round tank continues. Does not stay attached to the fuselage. Pops off easily. Fuselage – Again different with increasingly cruder detailing. Opening for the Bellcrank changed with rounded windows for strength. Pilots are molded in as well on this version but even a step cruder on the detail Wing- Much thinner and very flexible with a Tip weight. Rudder: Will not transfer to older PTs and does not locate the same. Color: A little darker blue and schoolbus yellow continues
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:59 pm

Here's some interesting pictures of a Pitts with swirl color plastic (these were never sold as retail) and a Corsair made with nylon, used to clean molds. These photos are from Larry Miller.

Need help identifying a Cox Pt - 19 Variant - Page 2 Thimbl10

Need help identifying a Cox Pt - 19 Variant - Page 2 Clearc10
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  anm2 Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:18 am

john cole wrote:Mark,
Wow! I've never thought of holding these parts up to sun light. It really shows the actual flow of the plastic. Very cool.Need help identifying a Cox Pt - 19 Variant - Page 2 Img_2014

John,

Thanks for taking the time to post those pictures. My initial question has been answered. That's why I really like this forum. I get to learn a lot more about the hobby. Andy
anm2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Mudhen Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:05 am

Last edited by Mudhen on Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Mudhen
Mudhen
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:14 am

john cole wrote:Andy;
Hello, new member here, and I can help with your question.
A green version didn't officially exist, but what happens is that during production, the hoppers that hold the various colors of styrene beads get changed out and/or refilled. There's a transition period where injections are made to clear the old colors, and these parts are then minced and recycled (usually into control handles). Some yellow and blue were mixed at some point, because this green variation was the result. These parts were then passed along for assembly, either deliberately or by mistake. You can scrub away as much as you want to, but it's still gonna be green.
My greenish version is an early 70's model, and has color swirls in hte 'blue' parts, similar to what your stabilator has.
Hope this helps.
John

I think I got such a control handle

Need help identifying a Cox Pt - 19 Variant - Page 2 Imgp0510

Lieven
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:13 pm

OVERLORD wrote:
I think I got such a control handle

Need help identifying a Cox Pt - 19 Variant - Page 2 Imgp0510

Lieven

Lieven,

I've never seen the pins inserted in the hyolse of the handle li9ke that. I asume it is for changing the line spacing on the handle? How does that work?

The Inquisitive Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:55 am

Mark, they are just 2 rubbery plastic plugs that fit in the holes to prevent from moving the cable that goes through the holes. First choose the holes you will use for the line space, then feed your line through and immobilize the line with he plugs.

Lieven
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:44 am

This model is currently on eBay, the photos clearly show the fade of green into blue. I don't think Cox would send it out the door like this. It also looks like where the body is not discolored was covered by the cardboard hold downs.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-COLOR-Cox-PT19-Flight-Trainer-049-Gas-Engine-Powered-Control-Line-Airplane-/191255741444?&_trksid=p2056016.l4276

Need help identifying a Cox Pt - 19 Variant - Page 2 Pt1_ti10

Need help identifying a Cox Pt - 19 Variant - Page 2 Pt2_ti10

Need help identifying a Cox Pt - 19 Variant - Page 2 Pt3_ti10

Need help identifying a Cox Pt - 19 Variant - Page 2 Pt4_ti10
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:18 am

I think Mark Boesen addressed that coloration once. Somewhere around here. Within the past year, I believe.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next