Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register! Guests are limited to posting in the "General Questions (Guest Posting Allowed)" section only. Becoming a member is fast, easy and FREE!


Search
 
 

Display results as :
 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Pre-order your Cox Engine Forum T-Shirt!
by warrenlead Today at 2:30 am

» "Patrick the Aviator"
by rat9000 Today at 1:19 am

» Why won't my tee 049 run properly
by rat9000 Today at 11:56 pm

» What the heck?
by Jason_WI Today at 9:29 pm

» "Frypan" Tether Car / SOLD
by Admin Today at 7:45 pm

» 8 track tape player
by SuperDave Today at 6:53 pm

» AME/Norvel .15 bb
by Surfer_kris Yesterday at 12:47 pm

» Perky photos
by roddie Yesterday at 12:38 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2014
John Goddard's

Family of Space Hoppers



PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Tach Race 2014
Its time for Tach Race 2014!
Profile Scale Reed Speed Contest
Gallery


Win This Engine!
The Traveling Prop

1969 Cox Advert

View previous topic View next topic Go down

1969 Cox Advert

Post  Ivanhoe on Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:09 pm

I thought you folk might be interested in this Cox advert from a 1969 Aeromodeller.

Read the prices and weep!

Translated into modern £, for those who are too young to remember

Pee Wee £3.99
TD .049 £7.12
Babe Bee £3.40
TD .010 £7.12

Wilf



Ivanhoe
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts: 1752
Join date: 2011-09-30
Location: Northern Ireland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 1969 Cox Advert

Post  andrew on Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:40 pm

Pricing notwithstanding, those advertisments have some of the greatest pen and ink drawings around. That's from a time when draftsmen were artisans and not reliant on computers.

andrew
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Posts: 1020
Join date: 2011-08-11
Age: 66
Location: Western Kentucky

View user profile http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Re: 1969 Cox Advert

Post  warrenlead on Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:16 am

Ivanhoe wrote:
Translated into modern £, for those who are too young to remember
Pee Wee £3.99
TD .049 £7.12
Babe Bee £3.40
TD .010 £7.12

And from the 1969 Cox Catalog the recommended prices in USD were:
Pee Wee $4.98
TD .049 $9.98
Babe Bee $4.98
TD .010 $8.98

Which in today's money (accounting for inflation) in USD is:
Pee Wee $29.28
TD .049 $58.67
Babe Bee $29.28
TD .010 $52.79

And yes, excellent detail in those old drawings...

warrenlead
Gold Member
Gold Member

Posts: 251
Join date: 2011-09-07
Age: 51
Location: Anna Bay, Port Stephens, NSW, Australia

View user profile https://www.facebook.com/groups/coxengines/

Back to top Go down

Re: 1969 Cox Advert

Post  EXModelEngines on Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:34 pm

Though it is an earlier piece, I have always liked this one as well:

http://www.exmodelengines.com/SBADMANAUG52.pdf

EXModelEngines
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Official Cox Support
Posts: 547
Join date: 2011-06-07
Location: Central CT, USA

View user profile http://www.exmodelengines.com

Back to top Go down

Re: 1969 Cox Advert

Post  nitroairplane on Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:41 pm

I love that!
It is like jetpack's from RCU.

nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Posts: 6956
Join date: 2011-04-11
Location: London

View user profile http://modeldieselengines.forumstopic.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: 1969 Cox Advert

Post  microflitedude on Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:11 pm

Those drawings are beautiful.

microflitedude
Top Poster
Top Poster

Trusted Seller
I Support My Forum

Posts: 3266
Join date: 2011-08-17
Age: 16
Location: Columbia, SC

View user profile https://www.facebook.com/MiniCub?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Re: 1969 Cox Advert

Post  andrew on Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:29 pm

For those of you that have inked plans and drawings, can you imagine being 95% done and having a run-under. Babe Bee .049

andrew
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Posts: 1020
Join date: 2011-08-11
Age: 66
Location: Western Kentucky

View user profile http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Re: 1969 Cox Advert

Post  Ivanhoe on Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:20 pm

andrew wrote:For those of you that have inked plans and drawings, can you imagine being 95% done and having a run-under. Babe Bee .049

Been there, done that, torn up the Teeshirt!

Wilf

Ivanhoe
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts: 1752
Join date: 2011-09-30
Location: Northern Ireland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 1969 Cox Advert

Post  RknRusty on Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:52 pm

They did once call it a Baby Bee. I thought they had always called it a Babe Bee. I wrongly corrected someone on a forum about that.

RknRusty
Moderator

Posts: 6439
Join date: 2011-08-10
Age: 58
Location: South Carolina, USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 1969 Cox Advert

Post  warrenlead on Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:53 pm

RknRusty wrote:They did once call it a Baby Bee. I thought they had always called it a Babe Bee. I wrongly corrected someone on a forum about that.

Yes interesting point. What did Leroy Cox actually call it? Did he call it a "Baby" Bee or a "Babe" Bee. And if he intended it to be Baby Bee then why not just call it Baby Bee?

Here in Australia we have always called them Baby Bees but we write Babe Bee...


warrenlead
Gold Member
Gold Member

Posts: 251
Join date: 2011-09-07
Age: 51
Location: Anna Bay, Port Stephens, NSW, Australia

View user profile https://www.facebook.com/groups/coxengines/

Back to top Go down

Re: 1969 Cox Advert

Post  jetpack on Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:59 pm

nitroairplane wrote:I love that!
It is like jetpack's from RCU.

Yes, I love those drawings. I took mechanical drawing all through junior and senior high school and within the courses we were required to use nibs on some of our drawings. You had to be very skillfull not to mess up, and the nibs needed maintenance all their own such as cleaning and sharpening.

jetpack
Gold Member
Gold Member

I Support My Forum

Posts: 173
Join date: 2011-08-15
Age: 51
Location: Hobart, Indiana

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 1969 Cox Advert

Post  Ivanhoe on Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:39 pm

jetpack wrote:
nitroairplane wrote:I love that!
It is like jetpack's from RCU.

Yes, I love those drawings. I took mechanical drawing all through junior and senior high school and within the courses we were required to use nibs on some of our drawings. You had to be very skillfull not to mess up, and the nibs needed maintenance all their own such as cleaning and sharpening.


We used things called "Ruling pens" they gave an adjustable thickness of line, but if you either opened them too much, or used the wrong ink, all the ink fell out onto your drawing! Ah, the "Good" Old Days (Pre-computers)
"cleaning and sharpening? Only pens I ever knew of needed sharpening were quills, and I'm sure you're not THAT old! Very Happy

Wilf

Ivanhoe
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts: 1752
Join date: 2011-09-30
Location: Northern Ireland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 1969 Cox Advert

Post  Ivanhoe on Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:41 pm

warrenlead wrote:
RknRusty wrote:They did once call it a Baby Bee. I thought they had always called it a Babe Bee. I wrongly corrected someone on a forum about that.

Yes interesting point. What did Leroy Cox actually call it? Did he call it a "Baby" Bee or a "Babe" Bee. And if he intended it to be Baby Bee then why not just call it Baby Bee?

Here in Australia we have always called them Baby Bees but we write Babe Bee...


I've always called them "Babe" like the little pig in the films!

Wilf

Ivanhoe
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts: 1752
Join date: 2011-09-30
Location: Northern Ireland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 1969 Cox Advert

Post  jetpack on Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:06 pm

Yep, sharpening. Ruling pens were called nibs by our instructor so thats what I have always refered to them as. Depending on the quality of the nib, sharpening would prevent a bleed under because the more you use the nib, the duller the "cutting edge" of the fingers became that formed the trough which would help form the fence for the ink to stay in. Hand pressure and sharpness was the key. There's a skill to maintain the nib, just as how you roll a pencil as your drawing a line to keep the line weight the same when using standard lead pencils. All kinds of hidden techniques to mechanical drawing that doesnt come in books.


jetpack
Gold Member
Gold Member

I Support My Forum

Posts: 173
Join date: 2011-08-15
Age: 51
Location: Hobart, Indiana

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 1969 Cox Advert

Post  Ivanhoe on Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:45 pm

jetpack wrote:Yep, sharpening. Ruling pens were called nibs by our instructor so thats what I have always refered to them as. Depending on the quality of the nib, sharpening would prevent a bleed under because the more you use the nib, the duller the "cutting edge" of the fingers became that formed the trough which would help form the fence for the ink to stay in. Hand pressure and sharpness was the key. There's a skill to maintain the nib, just as how you roll a pencil as your drawing a line to keep the line weight the same when using standard lead pencils. All kinds of hidden techniques to mechanical drawing that doesnt come in books.


Ah, yes, I have vague recollections of something like this, it's a LONG time ago, 1959, to be precise, after training in Technical Illustration I never worked in the trade, went into printing instead!

Wilf

Ivanhoe
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts: 1752
Join date: 2011-09-30
Location: Northern Ireland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum