Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

How to design and build a model plane from corflute.  Cox_ba12

How to design and build a model plane from corflute.  Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by Boats13 Today at 10:19 am

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by Yabby Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Yesterday at 8:20 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

» On ebay a very special Cox engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 6:32 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

How to design and build a model plane from corflute.  Empty
Live on Patrol

How to design and build a model plane from corflute.

Go down

How to design and build a model plane from corflute.  Empty How to design and build a model plane from corflute.

Post  mad monky Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:19 pm

Hey all.

I have recently come into possession of a cox tee dee 049 and really want to build a plane for it from coreflute i have built some prototypes with flyer engine and are getting better each time and am confident about this next one.

I am here to ask for tips to build it

Hinges
Reinforcement
Wing span
How to keep weight down
How to reduce drag
Ect.
mad monky
mad monky
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

How to design and build a model plane from corflute.  Empty Re: How to design and build a model plane from corflute.

Post  andrew Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:26 pm

C/L or RC?

Coroplast planes are generally heavy for their size and wing area, so usually they don't fly too well in 1/2A sized designs.
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

How to design and build a model plane from corflute.  Empty Re: How to design and build a model plane from corflute.

Post  RknRusty Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:06 pm

I think Gus the IA has built a bunch of them. Maybe he'll chime in. A bunch of people on RC Groups.com do it, you might check there.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  duke.johnson Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:06 pm

Here's a couple pictures of a Beginner Ringmaster I built as a trainer. I think it would fly ok with a .049.
How to design and build a model plane from corflute.  Coropl10

How to design and build a model plane from corflute.  Coropl12

How to design and build a model plane from corflute.  Landin11

I built ET-1 first, off the Stunt Hangar forum. The ET-1 flew better.
duke.johnson
duke.johnson
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:59 am

I don't think that you can beat materials like coroplast and foam board for speed building. Much quicker than balsa bashing.

This little electric plane looks very nice but as for conversion to, say, a Cox Babe Bee .......

On the negative side

Coroplast is heavier than a balsa build and the outrunner you currently have on the model has more power than a Cox 049.

From the photograph - I am guessing that you have used hot melt glue. I like the stuff for speed building, tacking things in place ...... but it doesn't like hot unburned fuel exhaust and hot engines .... it softens.

The engine mount would also need fuel proofing.

On the positive side

A Cox Babe Bee is lighter than all the electrickery - motor, battery, ESC and timer.

If it flies as is - then try it with a little Cox and see! Nothing ventured - nothing gained.

I have seen many I.C. engine powered Coroplast RC models and they fly well.

I have not seen a Coroplast 1/2 A control liner though.
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  mad monky Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:14 am

Thanks for the replies and just so you know it's an rc plane. I have the air frame complete and am waiting on some servos and so far its relatively light as i weighed it all and added on what the servos weighed and the plane has a wing span of 700mm and a chord of 6" and weighs around 210 grams. Do you thing it will fly.
mad monky
mad monky
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  mad monky Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:22 am

Oh sorry it is 320 grams
mad monky
mad monky
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  duke.johnson Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:28 am

Mad Monkey-There are a few good websites for building with coroplast/coroflute, google SPAD.

Ian- I used CA to glue this plane together, I think I still have it. I should bolt a baby bee or black widow to it and see how it flies. The weight of that battery should make a huge difference. I could get 10-15 minutes easy out of that battery. I usually put up 10 kids for one minute flights before changing batteries. I think the plane will fly, I've built heavier coroplast combat wings and they flew well with a black widow.

Cheers.
duke.johnson
duke.johnson
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:43 am

This vid might help with some construction ideas. It's part one of three for this RC model that's powered by a Cox Black Widow.

Last edited by roddie on Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:55 am; edited 1 time in total
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  duke.johnson Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:49 am

I've thought about building that plane Roddie. I've watched those videos.
duke.johnson
duke.johnson
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:56 am

Here's part 2 of 3..

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:09 pm

I can't seem to find part 3 of 3... ?? Here's the flight test... not too shabby.

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:19 pm

duke.johnson wrote:I've thought about building that plane Roddie.  I've watched those videos.

Yea Duke, It's a pretty cool little model. I don't have any RC flying experience though... so this model wouldn't be good for beginners like me. Being quite aerobatic... it has no inherent stability characteristics of a trainer... like generous wing dihedral and has no throttle control.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  mad monky Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:34 pm

Thanks all i will spend the evening watching the vids and will atempt to post a pic at some point and that may help you help me to improve it.
I made a plane once that flew no so well but the feeling of seeing my plane fly was so good i have been wanting to build ever sines. It was a park zone slo v that i changed a lot of and stuck a baby bee 049 on it and as you can imagine its very under powered.
mad monky
mad monky
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  duke.johnson Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:03 pm

roddie wrote:
duke.johnson wrote:I've thought about building that plane Roddie.  I've watched those videos.

Yea Duke, It's a pretty cool little model. I don't have any RC flying experience though... so this model wouldn't be good for beginners like me. Being quite aerobatic... it has no inherent stability characteristics of a trainer... like generous wing dihedral and has no throttle control.

You could go to the SPAD site and find a plane to suit your needs. I don't have that much RC experience either, I'm fine with the rudder and elevator planes, but I've been practicing on the sim for the full house planes. I have myself used to flying rudder/elev on the right stick and get all messed up when I move the rudder to the left stick. The good thing, coroplast will take a beating.
duke.johnson
duke.johnson
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down