Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

.15 Medallion Engine Cox_ba12

.15 Medallion Engine Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by Boats13 Today at 10:19 am

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by Yabby Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Yesterday at 8:20 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

» On ebay a very special Cox engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 6:32 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

.15 Medallion Engine Empty
Live on Patrol

.15 Medallion Engine

Go down

.15 Medallion Engine Empty .15 Medallion Engine

Post  Blue Eyes Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:39 pm

Today i received .15 Medallion the bid i won off of E bay. I will take pictures of the engine to show ya all.
Blue Eyes
Blue Eyes
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

.15 Medallion Engine Empty Re: .15 Medallion Engine

Post  1/2A Nut Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:36 am

I sourced one on ebay too think I paid 62 to win it then bought TD 15 parts: aluminum carb body, venturi /needle, spinner and adapter glow head for standard glow plug. put it on this engine to upgrade / bling it out. Also wanted remove the spray bar from the original medallion carb body venturi for assumed better air intake. Heres a partial before and after. I had already mounted the spinner and glow plug adapter on the engine. There is a guy on ebay that sells the aluminum carb bodies to this day the other parts are here there on that site just have to source or keep an eye out for them to show up.  RC Plane 

.15 Medallion Engine Medali11
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:56 am

Looks good.

What do you plan to use it on? The spray bar from the Medallion won't help it breathe any better although the Medallion venturi may help it draw fuel more consistently.
Ron

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

.15 Medallion Engine Empty RE .15 Medallion

Post  Blue Eyes Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:54 am

Three Draw backs about it is 1. there is no Starter spring, 2. No prop screw, 3. No prop. I sure do not want to start it with out one. Because if i did when the prop kicks back and the prop hits my finger the force might break my finger.

Last edited by Blue Eyes on Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:57 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : To change the title)
Blue Eyes
Blue Eyes
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:43 am

It's highly unlikely you will break your finger. It's going to hurt mind you. The Medallion is a pretty timid engine. I wouldn't recommend sticking your finger in the engine while it's running. I've done this many times in racing events. It does hurt and leaves a nice mark when it does happen. Wear a glove to start the engine. The nylon and composite glass props should have all flash removed and sanded lightly with fine sandpaper. Rather than flip the engine in a conventional manner from right to left (counterclockwise), once the engine is primed rotate the prop clockwise until you feel a slight bit of compression. At this point, give the prop a quick smack backwards (clockwise). This also quickly clears a flooded engine. While it seems incorrect to flip the engine in reverse, it hits the compression stroke and runs forward assuming the engine isn't overprimed. This technique is known as back flipping or bump starting. A much safer and easier way to start almost any engine. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:51 am

I've found that compression bumping is the best way to start all of my Tee Dees. And after recently getting used to starting my larger engines with a chicken stick, it's always in my pocket at the field, so I've been using it to crank the little springless ones too. I just slipped a piece of automotive fuel hose over a philips screwdriver, now it's a chicken stick. Just don't bend your needle with it. That's where the short tipped commercially purchased sticks are better.

In my opinion a Medallion with a Tee Dee front end, is just a finicky Medallion that's harder to start, needle and feed than it originally was.  It was intended to be a more cooperative sport engine, and the architecture of the crankshaft assures this, no matter what sort of intake supplies it.

There's no evidence that sprinkler venturis produce higher performance than through the throat type spraybars. The through-the-throat venturis are wider to make up for the volume lost to the spraybar. On the other hand, a  Tee Dee with a Medallion front end might make a powerful, easier to handle engine for sport use.

These are just my thoughts, I haven't tried any of the combinations, but I believe it should be true. However, try it and let us know how it really works out
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:48 pm

Yes the spray bar in the center of the venturi does help to aspirate and draw fuel in lieu of a smaller intake bored into the crank shaft. This is a large enough engine the round hole in the crankshaft should be big enough to perform well and if you sharpen the cranks intake holes edge on the right side it will increase suction. Sourcing a OEM TD crank shaft is next to impossible so only thing is to mod yourself. I have ran it on the bench it fired up with ease with a elect starter. I ran it rich about 5min as the engine had never been run and the throttle sleeve was closed about half way to keep the rpm down with the yellow Tornado 7x8 prop.  Also during my mods I had added a phenolic thrust washer.
Note the data Plastic venturi is 13.5mm OD and 11mm ID at the lip the Aluminum is 15 OD x14 ID mm at the lip.

.15 Medallion Engine 2014-010
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Blue Eyes Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:14 pm

Thank you. I need to fix up a test stand for it.
Blue Eyes
Blue Eyes
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Blue Eyes Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:24 pm

I don't Know. It is going to be part of my collection of Cox Engines. I really would like to have Order #3704 Queen Bee .074 for my collection.
Blue Eyes
Blue Eyes
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:40 pm

There are springs on ebay for the 15 size motor and spinner and bolt assembly to help you on your way.
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Blue Eyes Tue May 06, 2014 10:34 pm

I will be looking for that.
Blue Eyes
Blue Eyes
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

.15 Medallion Engine Empty .15 Medallion

Post  jorigger Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:49 am

Hello,
i have to see that you have modified one Medallion Cox engine with the part of Tee Dee .15.
You think that i can do the same with one Medallion .09 ? I can change the original Red carburetor body with the carburetor body of Tee Dee .09 ?
Let me know.

Thanks and Regards
Jorigger - Italy
jorigger
jorigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:54 am

I used the aluminum carb body sold by an ebay member Mike (Ridingfly) if I recall. Inside the aluminum carb body is smooth with no protruding plastic that plastic may need to be worked down some if you choose to use a stock td carb. But yes it should work.  Small Cox Logo I may open up the intake on the crank with a dremel tool some, yet  on a 15 engine there is really already more than enough power to weight.
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

.15 Medallion Engine Empty .15 Medallion Engine

Post  jorigger Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:14 am

1/2A Nut wrote:I used the aluminum carb body sold by an ebay member Mike (Ridingfly) if I recall. Inside the aluminum carb body is smooth with no protruding plastic that plastic may need to be worked down some if you choose to use a stock td carb. But yes it should work.  Small Cox Logo I may open up the intake on the crank with a dremel tool some, yet  on a 15 engine there is really already more than enough power to weight.

Hello,
Thank you very much for the quick response. I know this'' Mike'' (Ridingfly) that sells carburetor body made ​​of aluminum. I have already bought by him two, one for a cox .049 and one for a Cox .020. They are of excellent quality items and material.

The only thing i did not understand from your answer, is the question on the small logo Cox. Be more clear.

Thanks again and Regards
jorigger
jorigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:52 pm

Small Cox Logo The medallion crank intake is round vs the td has a larger square shape intake by opening this up some you can increase the air / fuel mix for more power.
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down