Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Reed Speed version 2.0/ Nitro November Cox_ba12

Reed Speed version 2.0/ Nitro November Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by balogh Today at 12:55 am

» #Abortion pills in Dubai#+277-32027887 Abortion pills for sale in Dubai
by kasm Yesterday at 11:51 pm

» Original Box for P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer Value
by Wayne Brown Yesterday at 11:09 pm

» Cox P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer
by Wayne Brown Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» thread measurements
by MauricioB Yesterday at 5:33 pm

» Cox Thompson Trophy Winner
by Jerry Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» COX 010 TeeDee with RC carb, courtesy sosam 117
by rdw777 Yesterday at 3:08 pm

» "Me and Crazy Horse...Our Anniversary"
by fit90 Yesterday at 2:52 pm

» a cheap sport muffler
by robot797 Yesterday at 1:34 pm

» OS 10FSR Carb Needed
by Cougar 429 Yesterday at 1:14 pm

» AP .061 Hornet
by F4D Phantom II Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:01 pm

» dozens of old .049 TeeDee's, Medallions and a few others
by rsv1cox Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:46 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Reed Speed version 2.0/ Nitro November Empty
Live on Patrol

Reed Speed version 2.0/ Nitro November

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Reed Speed version 2.0/ Nitro November Empty Reed Speed version 2.0/ Nitro November

Post  JPvelo Thu May 22, 2014 12:03 am

If we do reed speed again in November, with the window to fly and video from now to November how many can commit to fly? If I tweak and rewrite the rules I want to make sure we get good participation. New rules will not disqualify any planes that are already built.

Jim
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Reed Speed version 2.0/ Nitro November Empty Re: Reed Speed version 2.0/ Nitro November

Post  batjac Thu May 22, 2014 12:17 am

JPvelo wrote:If we do reed speed again in November, with the window to fly and video from now to November how many can commit to fly? If I tweak and rewrite the rules I want to make sure we get good participation. New rules will not disqualify any planes that are already built.

Jim

I've already started drawing, so you can count me in. But, I was drawing to the wing/length rules from the first contest. Are they going to be the same?

The Artiste Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Reed Speed version 2.0/ Nitro November Empty Re: Reed Speed version 2.0/ Nitro November

Post  JPvelo Thu May 22, 2014 12:38 am

batjac wrote:

I've already started drawing, so you can count me in.  But, I was drawing to the wing/length rules from the first contest.  Are they going to be the same?

The Artiste Mark

Mark,
Yes, wingspan, wing area, and length will not change. If I were drawing up a new plane it would be modeled on one with a retractable gear. Hint hint.

Jim
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu May 22, 2014 12:39 am

I'm in 100%!

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Theo Kleynhans Thu May 22, 2014 12:56 am

I am most certainly in. 100%

The previous one looked like so much FUN.

I will start a plane.

I will just wait to get the rules. To ensure I do the right thing.

Theo

Theo Kleynhans
Theo Kleynhans
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GUS THE I.A. Thu May 22, 2014 1:44 am

I'm in! This time- with an engine that makes fast noises!
GUS THE I.A.
GUS THE I.A.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  navion34 Thu May 22, 2014 1:50 am

I'm in !!
navion34
navion34
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu May 22, 2014 9:10 am

I'm in.

Edit: lf we agree to fly we need to make every effort to do so.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu May 22, 2014 9:12 am

I'm a little embarrassed for not being able to post a vid the first time.. but I'd love to do it again. My main gear easily detaches from the wing on the Rare Bear.. plus I'd love to build another model.

Jim, did you catch my comment in another thread regarding line length? If not; I had pointed out that a 35 foot line-length might make it easier to launch and fly a reedie-powered model, as well as requiring less space to fly. There would be more positive line-tension/control in breezy conditions too. I realize that hand launches will help.. and some of us flew successfully on 42' lines.. but these semi-scale reed-powered models don't have the power/speed of the high-performance rotary-valve engines that are traditionally used for the 1/2A Profile Proto Speed class. Mouse-class is a different story. You had stated that you were open to suggestions and FWIW.. this is one that I think could help flyers (especially novices) achieve more successful flights with less risk of damaging their models getting them airborne or the inevitable unexpected breeze gust. One more point; speeds would be higher and more "characteristic" of a speed event because of the reduced line-drag.  Two Cents
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  duke.johnson Thu May 22, 2014 11:44 am

I'm in. I fully intended on posting a video this time. I wasn't happy with the way my plane turned out and would love another chance at it.
duke.johnson
duke.johnson
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu May 22, 2014 3:53 pm

roddie wrote:I'm a little embarrassed for not being able to post a vid the first time.. but I'd love to do it again. My main gear easily detaches from the wing on the Rare Bear.. plus I'd love to build another model.

Jim, did you catch my comment in another thread regarding line length? If not; I had pointed out that a 35 foot line-length might make it easier to launch and fly a reedie-powered model, as well as requiring less space to fly. There would be more positive line-tension/control in breezy conditions too. I realize that hand launches will help.. and some of us flew successfully on 42' lines.. but these semi-scale reed-powered models don't have the power/speed of the high-performance rotary-valve engines that are traditionally used for the 1/2A Profile Proto Speed class. Mouse-class is a different story. You had stated that you were open to suggestions and FWIW.. this is one that I think could help flyers (especially novices) achieve more successful flights with less risk of damaging their models getting them airborne or the inevitable unexpected breeze gust. One more point; speeds would be higher and more "characteristic" of a speed event because of the reduced line-drag.  Two Cents

I think we both know that only the appearance of speed will be higher, but the new line length is incorporated into the equation and actual speed will be the same.

I do like your idea however, I don't know if we all could handle spinning that fast. In my experience as we age the less we can tolerate when it comes to spinning. That's not a jab at our older members it's just what I have seen first hand in the circle.

I wonder if we could compromise? Maybe make total line length 42'? That means we cut lines to 40' from center handle to center wing and calculate 2' for arm length. It's how it's normally done.

Ron

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Thu May 22, 2014 4:49 pm

JPvelo wrote:Mark,
Yes, wingspan, wing area, and length will not change. If I were drawing up a new plane it would be modeled on one with a retractable gear. Hint hint.

Jim

*crinkle crinkle crinkle*  *wad wad wad*   *toss*   DAMMIT!

Well, back to the drawing board.  Living just down the road from the original Vans Aircraft Factory, also known as the VanGrunsven family barn, I see RV's flying overhead all the time.  So, my November entry was going to be a RV-8.  But, no one has done a retractable RV-8, and I don't see a need to give myself a further handicap in the next contest by adding gear drag, so it's time to look for another design.

The Tosser Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu May 22, 2014 5:06 pm

Just my 2 cents, but I'm for 42'(or 40) as opposed to 35. Only the most anemic 1/2A plane needs to be on 35' for flyability reasons. As for field size, I can understand that. Until the church trimmed trees, I was on 35'. Happily back out to 40'+ again now.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu May 22, 2014 7:51 pm

I am IN... Note I am also thinking 42-40' would be a good spinning length for me , Mark sorry I think I got the batjac wrong in an earlier post............. Reed Speed version 2.0/ Nitro November Window11 Let's do it!!! Welcome Theo!!  What the help is a retractable gear on a C/L look like.. Huh...  Biplane Roddie less weight and more power Just my  Two Cents But I am one without a flight in, this time  Thumbs Down Getback
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu May 22, 2014 8:19 pm

How about streamlined nacelles this go around?
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu May 22, 2014 9:14 pm

Cribbs74 wrote:How about streamlined nacelles this go around?
Yeah, more nose weight, that should make our cartwheels even more entertaining. lol! I can't believe that none of us except Jim made a plane that would glide.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu May 22, 2014 9:29 pm

The reason I brought up nacelles as they are more streamlined and I saw a Shoestring .15 Goodyear racer and it had cheek blocks/ nacelles or whatever you call them and besides being functional really looked sharp.

It can't be much more weight than cowling and certainly less drag. Jim's planes did seem to have a better glide, but they too hit hard. If we had flown over pavement I bet our landings would have been similar to his.

We use nacelles/CB all the time in stunt and it doesn't add a significant amount of weight. Just something I was thinking about.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Thu May 22, 2014 11:01 pm

Make it full fuse and profile class, same box. Full fuse has no fairing restrictions. Lifting bodies welcome even.

Phil

pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Theo Kleynhans Fri May 23, 2014 1:50 am

Thanks Getback

I am excited about this one. I would prefer it is kept to profile, but lets see what the final rules will be.

Which ever way, I will build a plane and have a flight for sure.

I also vote for keeping the lines at 40'.

Theo
Theo Kleynhans
Theo Kleynhans
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  duke.johnson Fri May 23, 2014 9:10 am

I like the idea of going straight up "Mouse 1" class. I have a set of plans I've been wanting to build and it's an AMA race if someone would want to fly in an event/contest around them. We only have one contest a year around here that has this event.
duke.johnson
duke.johnson
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  JPvelo Fri May 23, 2014 10:50 am

RknRusty wrote:
Yeah, more nose weight, that should make our cartwheels even more entertaining. lol! I can't believe that none of us except Jim made a plane that would glide.
Rusty
I built tail heavy, I think that helped with the glide.
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  JPvelo Fri May 23, 2014 10:51 am

I removed all language prohibiting nacelles/fairings.
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri May 23, 2014 10:53 am

Hey, Theo, this is off topic, but since you're here I'll ask. Did you ever get started building your Li'l Satan, how's that going?
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  JPvelo Fri May 23, 2014 10:57 am

duke.johnson wrote:I like the idea of going straight up "Mouse 1" class.  I have a set of plans I've been wanting to build and it's an AMA race if someone would want to fly in an event/contest around them. We only have one contest a year around here that has this event.
Duke,
I based the rules on 1/2a profile proto. I added the scale element to encourage people to learn not only to scratch build but design their own model. These are skills that are being lost in the model aircraft hobbies .

Jim
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  JPvelo Fri May 23, 2014 11:06 am

All right,
Here's the updated rules:
https://www.coxengineforum.com/t5898-cef-profile-scale-reed-speed-rules

These can be found on the "Reed Speed" sidebar, I simply edited that post.

I set maximum nitro at 35% because anyone can easily buy it from sig. I would love to go higher on nitro, as much as 50%, if we can find a supplier so it's easily available to all competitors.

Jim

Last edited by JPvelo on Tue May 27, 2014 5:30 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next