Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

The FAA changing rules for Model Aircraft Cox_ba12

The FAA changing rules for Model Aircraft Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by balogh Today at 12:07 am

» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 9:32 pm

» Elfin 0.5cc (Arnie Hende replica)
by dan vincent Yesterday at 9:18 pm

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by layback209 Yesterday at 9:10 pm

» Anderson Baby Spitfire - looking for the aft tank and gasket
by Boats13 Yesterday at 8:18 pm

» Fuel residue stain clening help
by akjgardner Yesterday at 7:53 pm

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by sosam117 Yesterday at 5:55 pm

» Cox powered boat litle shrimp hidroplane
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 2:52 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Yesterday at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Yesterday at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 7:56 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:14 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

The FAA changing rules for Model Aircraft Empty
Live on Patrol

The FAA changing rules for Model Aircraft

Go down

The FAA changing rules for Model Aircraft Empty The FAA changing rules for Model Aircraft

Post  ian1954 Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:26 pm

I came across the FAAs new proposed rules that fundementally make flying FPV (First Person View) illegal.

I thought I had no opinion on this one way or another as, with my eyesight, FPV flying is not a good idea for me. Then after consideration - I thought that this is probably the thin end of the wedge.

We have rules here on camera equipped aircraft - multicopters and aeroplanes - distances from buildings, people - FPVs not allowed out of sight - you must have a spotter if you wear goggles ....and if you receive any payment for video or photographs then you have to be CAA certified.

But the new FAA rules will prevent FPV full stop. All models must remain in sight by the flyer.

Now here is where I got a bit confused. I watch Flite Test quite often - a couple of cheery chappies. They seem to think that the rules have a more far reaching effect for anyone receiving payment for aeroplane or any flying model activities.

I suggest that you chaps review what is going on as there is still a few days to makes comments to the FAA.

ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

The FAA changing rules for Model Aircraft Empty Re: The FAA changing rules for Model Aircraft

Post  ian1954 Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:53 am

No comments at all?

Am I way off track?
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

The FAA changing rules for Model Aircraft Empty Re: The FAA changing rules for Model Aircraft

Post  ian1954 Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:58 am

ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  flyjsh Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:34 am

In full scale aircraft, anytime a pilot receives compensation he must be a Commercial Pilot.  A private pilot may share equally between all the occupants (including himself) the cost of the flight but ONLY if he is participating in the same event (what that means is a guy says "let's go golfing at XYZ.  I'll fly us, we can split the cost).  It does NOT allow a private pilot to say to his buddies, "I'm trying to build my time.  I can't get paid, but we can split the cost:  You get there faster, and I get cheaper hours."  In the FAA's eyes, that is compensation.

As a private, Commercial, or Airline Transport Pilot, we are all under rules governing where we fly, how close to structures or persons, and under what circumstances we may be paid.

UAVs (RC, FPA, anything not attached to the pilot) have been nearly unregulated by the FAA.  That was fine when it was just a bunch of us old coots flying .35 Cub over a field on the outskirts of town.  Don't get me wrong, there were problems then:  I have seen RC sailplanes ABOVE me at 2000 feet outside the final approach fix.  But now that we have RC jets flying as fast as my King Air, anything under 35cc is considered small, and any idiot with a couple hundred bucks burning a whole in his pocket can buy non line of sight quads, we need to make some rules.

For the record, I am not a fan of regulations, but I do like having "rules of the road".
flyjsh
flyjsh
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:37 am

I am an AMA member and appreciate most of what they do but a bit ticked they generally ignore CL flying.

The FAA regs changing because of the newer technology is mostly going to be well discussed, argued, and ultimately new rules and restrictions imposed. I would love to argue for lesser restrictions as I don't like bureaucrats on principle. However I read about or observe idiots violating what I perceive as common sense rules. Autonomous aircraft operated by professionals are one thing and I applaud FAA for working to control the airspace they will share with private and commercial aviation.

The folks who are making grief for us hobbyist model airplane pilots are mostly not AMA members, have never read any safety rules, and believe that they are entitled to fly their FPV any where they please.

Because of this technology and the bad press (spying on citizens) many states, cities, and counties have started enacting laws or ordinances that are not well crafted and in essence restrict or prohibit any model aircraft flying in their jurisdiction. Lots of RC clubs have had to find their lawmakers and help amend or re-write the new restrictions.

In my county there is one very very large (45 acres) soccer, baseball, community events complex about 1.5 miles away from any houses. Lots of un used land that I want fly my airplanes on.  I asked permission, offered to mow the area I wanted to use, and promised to cease flying any time some team or group wanted to use the playing fields. They listened to my request and said they would let me know. The next session of the council they added a restriction of no model aircraft to the rules regulating all the parks in the county. All I can find are 4 other county residents out of 17,500 that play with rockets or aircraft, not enough to petition and have a vote on a rules change.

I am not miffed with their decision but I am extremely ticked off at the idiots out there that caused this irrational fear.
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:28 am

Fred:

Much of the resistance to flying in public places come from liabiliity concens.  It's
"sue happy" world out there.

Never mind one may be hurt or killed playing sports.

SuperDave
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:40 pm

flyjsh wrote:In full scale aircraft, anytime a pilot receives compensation he must be a Commercial Pilot.  A private pilot may share equally between all the occupants (including himself) the cost of the flight but ONLY if he is participating in the same event (what that means is a guy says "let's go golfing at XYZ.  I'll fly us, we can split the cost).  It does NOT allow a private pilot to say to his buddies, "I'm trying to build my time.  I can't get paid, but we can split the cost:  You get there faster, and I get cheaper hours."  In the FAA's eyes, that is compensation.

Yeah. The interpretation that irks me is the "same event" thing:

"Hey! I'm going to a conference in L.A. next week. You're going to a conference in L.A. next week too? Let's split the gas and oil to fly down. Wait, what? Your conference is in a different hotel than mine? Nope, can't share expenses. You have to fly commercial..."

The Irked Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  sdjjadk Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:47 am

Thanks to the "Ignorant", the Gov't wants to take away my guns and now they want to take away my planes! Well they will have to pry them out of my cold dead hands before I give any of them up!! I seem to recall something called the Constitution that was supposed to protect the Civil Liberties of the American People and protect them from a tyrannous Government. Whatever happened to that?  4th of July Flag  RC Plane 

The " Devil Gov't can *Ki$$ my American %^$ Devil " Shawn
sdjjadk
sdjjadk
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:57 am

sdjjadk wrote:Thanks to the "Ignorant", the Gov't wants to take away my guns and now they want to take away my planes! Well they will have to pry them out of my cold dead hands before I give any of them up!! I seem to recall something called the Constitution that was supposed to protect the Civil Liberties of the American People and protect them from a tyrannous Government. Whatever happened to that?  4th of July Flag  RC Plane 

OH NO, that rant was harvested by the NSA, they will be sending jack booted IRS thugs after you soon.  4th of July Flag 
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  sdjjadk Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:38 am

crankbndr wrote:
sdjjadk wrote:Thanks to the "Ignorant", the Gov't wants to take away my guns and now they want to take away my planes! Well they will have to pry them out of my cold dead hands before I give any of them up!! I seem to recall something called the Constitution that was supposed to protect the Civil Liberties of the American People and protect them from a tyrannous Government. Whatever happened to that?  4th of July Flag  RC Plane 

OH NO, that rant was harvested by the NSA, they will be sending jack booted IRS thugs after you soon.  4th of July Flag 

I say "Bring It On"!!!!  In the mean time, I'll be flying my model airplanes!!!

The "I'm Ready For The Stormtroopers" Shawn
sdjjadk
sdjjadk
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down