Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Finally got all the parts! Cox_ba12

Finally got all the parts! Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» music vids.. some of your favorites
by Oldenginerod Today at 1:59 am

» Draco Goes Flying, But Misses the Eclipse
by HalfaDave Yesterday at 9:59 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» Enya .09 II Questions
by Surfer_kris Yesterday at 2:45 pm

» Wen Mac .049 - Conditioning.
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:21 pm

» Happy 53rd birthday Mauricio!!!
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 11:22 am

» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 10:57 am

» UV Restore of Yellowed Decals
by Levent Suberk Yesterday at 8:59 am

» 22mm 2-blade nylon marine prop and solid-shaft drive
by roddie Yesterday at 6:46 am

» Post edit??
by roddie Yesterday at 5:33 am

» Original Super Power fuel formula?
by HalfaDave Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:28 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Finally got all the parts! Empty
Live on Patrol

Finally got all the parts!

Go down

Finally got all the parts! Empty Finally got all the parts!

Post  batjac Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:39 am

Well, I've been slowly collecting the parts needed for a Mid-70's ME-109 Super Stunter.  I've wanted one, but: 1) the N.I.B. prices on eBay were just too much, and 2) I wanted the hollow foam wing version, not the solid wing version.  But, I acquired the parts here and there when buying parts lots on eBay, and have enough now for a stock Super Stunter.  I finished it last week, but hadn't gotten around to posting the pics here.  The only thng I did differently than the Cox instructions is how I mounted the wings.  Stock, the wings are just taped on.  But I've read a few posts where guys said the tape came off, and the wing soon after.  So, before taping on the wing, I applied a little hot glue to the wing root and slipped the wing on over it.  The wing's firmly attached, but if I ever have to replace the wing, the hot glue will scrape off of the fuse plastic.  The plane's complete, but the stickers I have are pretty old, and I didn't think they'd stay on well, so I left them off.  Here it is:

Finally got all the parts! DSCN2244_zps8c212fec

When I got a set of wingtips, I was very surprised to see how far back along the wingtip the leadout guide was.

Finally got all the parts! DSCN2247_zps1c5ea464

Another thing of note is how truly large the elevator is compared to the stabilizer.  Should be an interesting first outing next week when my son comes over.

Finally got all the parts! DSCN2249_zpse51edafd

Weight RTF is 7 ounces, using my digital luggage scale.  Pretty good for a Cox plastic RTF of this size.  I put a Black Lynx from Matt in it, so hopefully it'll be sprightly on the lines.  Another motivation to finish this is that I have a couple more sets of these wings, and I really wanted to know where Cox set the c.g. on them.  In the plans that Cox included with these wings, the c.g. is not marked.  The balance point of the model is 1 5/8" back from the leading edge.  Good for future reference.

The Sprightly Mark

edit:  Looking back on my other thread about building a plans bird, I see that I got a weight of 8.65 ounces on my precision scale when I weighed this without the missing parts.  We'll see what this thing really weighs when I get a new precision scale.

The Precise Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Finally got all the parts! Empty Re: Finally got all the parts!

Post  Kim Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:14 am

Excellent ! I had one of these back in the day, but never really took it to it's full potential before a tragic moving accident crushed it!

It's be interesting to read the flight report !!!!!!!!

Envious Kim
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Theo Kleynhans Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:29 am

That is a beauty Mark.

I hope to see a video. It looks like it should fly very nicely.

Theo
Theo Kleynhans
Theo Kleynhans
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:32 am

so..1 5/8 is what mean airfoil chord?

Very nice looking.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:55 am

Should fly like this Hyper Viper on utube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eH6lyTPuarY
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  sdjjadk Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:05 pm

Nice plane. Congrats!
sdjjadk
sdjjadk
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:07 pm

NICE , mark the elev. does look a little strange but that's just me kindly like a trainer and large it is ...........Maiden flight vids. Please . man its HOT here Hot Getback
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:59 am

AWESOME Mark!! I scored "two" Super-Stunter hub-nuts from that hobby shop where your .09 mufflers came from. Are you using that type on this model? It's important to note; that they're "solid".. "longer" and "much heavier" than the standard Cox hub/spinner-nut. This could affect the C/G location. I'll weigh the two different types for comparison tonight after work if you want. They were sold separately by Cox, for this particular model... however; I don't know if it was for the foam-winged version.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:36 pm

roddie wrote:AWESOME Mark!! I scored "two" Super-Stunter hub-nuts from that hobby shop where your .09 mufflers came from. Are you using that type on this model? It's important to note; that they're "solid".. "longer" and "much heavier" than the standard Cox hub/spinner-nut. This could affect the C/G location. I'll weigh the two different types for comparison tonight after work if you want. They were sold separately by Cox, for this particular model... however; I don't know if it was for the foam-winged version.

Hmmm...  That could be an issue, I guess.  If you could weight one or show a picture of one, that'd help.  Is it anything like the heavier hub nut that Bernie sells?  http://coxengines.ca/cox-.049-hub-nut-balancing-weight.html

To correct my earlier post about the balance point, I said it balanced at 1 5/8".  I meant that it balanced at 1 5/16".  Big difference.  This works out to approximately 20% chord.  I can't see it needing to be any farther forward for a stunt model.  

The Corrected Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:29 pm

batjac wrote:
roddie wrote:AWESOME Mark!! I scored "two" Super-Stunter hub-nuts from that hobby shop where your .09 mufflers came from. Are you using that type on this model? It's important to note; that they're "solid".. "longer" and "much heavier" than the standard Cox hub/spinner-nut. This could affect the C/G location. I'll weigh the two different types for comparison tonight after work if you want. They were sold separately by Cox, for this particular model... however; I don't know if it was for the foam-winged version.

Hmmm...  That could be an issue, I guess.  If you could weight one or show a picture of one, that'd help.  Is it anything like the heavier hub nut that Bernie sells?  http://coxengines.ca/cox-.049-hub-nut-balancing-weight.html

The Corrected Mark

Yes, mine look exactly like Bernie's.. except they're bright-finish. You'll have to find the proper spinner that fits them.. if you want to go that route. I'm guessing that this "was" used on your foam-winged version.. because the wing is probably lighter.. and needed a little extra weight up front for optimal balance. (kinda' like installing a "Harry's Heavy-Hub" spinner-nut on an engine, to correct a tail-heavy condition)

I have two of these in the original packages.. but there's no catalog # on either one.

Finally got all the parts! 8-29-110

As you can see.. the SS version is more solid.. and longer; compared to a standard hub-nut, which is short.. and has a large counter-bore to lighten it up.

Finally got all the parts! 8-29-111

Here's the weight comparisons I got.

Finally got all the parts! 8-29-112
Finally got all the parts! 8-29-113
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:10 pm

Okay, cool. I have a couple of these, and that's what I'm using on my plans-built FW-190. I need it to get the balance where I want. But on the ME-109 Super Stunter, I don't think I need the extra nose weight. We'll see.

The Super Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:32 pm

batjac wrote:

Finally got all the parts! DSCN2244_zps8c212fec[/url]

The Precise Mark
That is one sharp looking plane! You're right to suspect the leadout position, so do the hang test. It may be set back to compensate for its underpowered engine. If you could soup it up to a 22k powerplant you could move the leadouts forward and possibly have a much more stunt capable plane. I would love to fly one of those or a Hyper Viper some day.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down