Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Pictures-What a weekend-The Good the Bad and the Ugly-but a warm fuzzy buzz! Cox_ba12

Pictures-What a weekend-The Good the Bad and the Ugly-but a warm fuzzy buzz! Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by balogh Today at 12:07 am

» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 9:32 pm

» Elfin 0.5cc (Arnie Hende replica)
by dan vincent Yesterday at 9:18 pm

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by layback209 Yesterday at 9:10 pm

» Anderson Baby Spitfire - looking for the aft tank and gasket
by Boats13 Yesterday at 8:18 pm

» Fuel residue stain clening help
by akjgardner Yesterday at 7:53 pm

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by sosam117 Yesterday at 5:55 pm

» Cox powered boat litle shrimp hidroplane
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 2:52 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Yesterday at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Yesterday at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 7:56 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:14 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Pictures-What a weekend-The Good the Bad and the Ugly-but a warm fuzzy buzz! Empty
Live on Patrol

Pictures-What a weekend-The Good the Bad and the Ugly-but a warm fuzzy buzz!

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Pictures-What a weekend-The Good the Bad and the Ugly-but a warm fuzzy buzz! Empty Pictures-What a weekend-The Good the Bad and the Ugly-but a warm fuzzy buzz!

Post  RknRusty Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:29 pm

It was a magnificent weekend. Nary a cloud in the sky. Temps were high 40s in the early morning and not a cloud in the sky. The temps quickly climbed into the low 80s Saturday and high 70s Sunday with 10 or so mph winds on Saturday, and only treetop swirls on Sunday. One of those gusts helped me cost myself 25 points. But all went pretty well, and I confirmed what I knew; it's a lot harder to compete flying full pattern stunt than beginner stunt.

Half of my flights all weekend had the stunts directly in the Sun. I really need to learn to deal with that. In Profile Stunt on Saturday, I forgot to put my sunglasses on and I couldn't see where the left bottoms of some of my maneuvers were, like the outside square loops and 8s and also the horizontal 8. I just did those pullouts and corners on blind faith so to speak. I got most of them at the right height, but on the second down leg of my sq 8 I pancaked the Osprey, inverted of course. I had gotten the first one right and felt like the lines were pointed in the same place on the second down leg, but apparently I was a tad off. It didn't even break the tail. Wing flex tore a bit of Monokote on the bottom of the wing, but a few strips of scotch tape and a new prop later, I was ready for round 2. The sun was higher now and only the overheads like the V8, hourglass and loop 1 of the cloverleaf were in the sun and I managed to fly a respectable pattern on my second flight. Profile is ten times more fun than any other event because there about 20 other pilots competing and we all have so much fun together pitting for each other, critiquing our flights, commiserating our failures, and just shucking and jiving with each other. It lasts about 4 hours.

PAMPA stunt on Sunday was on the upper circle surrounded by trees with no wind on the ground, but no freakin telling what might be coming over the trees.. I drew first flight at 9:00 AM and had to hurry to get rigged and fueled. I was a little off for the first flight, felt kind of like I was standing on marbles, but held it together for a fairly decent flight but had the plane buffet badly at the top of my hourglass to make me come down way in the wrong place. I went around and did it again fairly wall, but lost points for that. On my second flight I was  more relaxed and was putting it together at my usual level of getting through it. But this time on the vertical 8 I started the first bottom loop and somehow, don't ask because I don't know why, I pancaked it again, this time wheels first. Splayed LG and a broken prop, but no other damage.

The Good/the Bad/the end result:
Pictures-What a weekend-The Good the Bad and the Ugly-but a warm fuzzy buzz! Wp_20113

After the awards sunday afternoon, the usual tradition is all are invited to Watt Moore's house for some grilling and fun flying. It's on the way home so we dropped by. I'd had the old Ray Copeland Skyray as my backup in the car all weekend and I decided to put it up. Dead calm. Boy I had forgotten what a dream it is to fly. It pulls like a brick even straight overhead. Rather than fun fly lazy 8s and loops, I wanted to try a pattern with it, just to compare. It's very sure footed and with no wind I was having an easy time with it. Until the vertical 8. I flew the complete pair of V8s and was in the middle of my pullout loop when it JUST QUIT TURNING! Full up. It would not turn.

The Ugly:
Pictures-What a weekend-The Good the Bad and the Ugly-but a warm fuzzy buzz! Wp_20111

Pictures-What a weekend-The Good the Bad and the Ugly-but a warm fuzzy buzz! Wp_20112

I guess I'm over it now. No sense in not being over it, and I can't cuss here anyway. So we watched the Philly flyers, who were most of the gathering at Watt's, entertain us. Dan banjock flying the ugliest, loudest, fastest ringmaster I ever saw... in the dark... sitting on the ground. And three Bi-Slob combat. Larry Wilkes flew his combat wing, we ate really good burgers and came home.

A great weekend other than my dear old Skyray. Now all my crap is in the carport and I'm signing off to lug it back to the shop.

I have many pictures and some videos to post later.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Pictures-What a weekend-The Good the Bad and the Ugly-but a warm fuzzy buzz! Empty Re: Pictures-What a weekend-The Good the Bad and the Ugly-but a warm fuzzy buzz!

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:48 pm

Hey Man,

Third place ain't bad! I am so bummed that my trip didn't line up with the contest. Oh well, good thing is next year I can play with the timing a bit.

Scores looked good for the first go at intermediate, you have gone a long way in a short amount of time.

Looks like you had mechanical failure with the Skyray. Not much left to investigate with, but check the flap horn. I bet it failed around there.

Balsa makes excellent kindling. My kids and I roasted hot dogs and marshmallows over my Cardinal last week. lol!
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Pictures-What a weekend-The Good the Bad and the Ugly-but a warm fuzzy buzz! Empty Re: Pictures-What a weekend-The Good the Bad and the Ugly-but a warm fuzzy buzz!

Post  duke.johnson Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:50 pm

Rusty
Sorry to hear about the Skyray. Happy to hear about the rest of the day.
duke.johnson
duke.johnson
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:18 pm

Man! Sorry to hear about the pancakes and re-kitting... But, Third is great. A long way from when I first met you last year and you were flying your WingMaster. Great progress in such a little time.

The Impressed Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:25 pm

About the Ray, Dan said it looked like maybe a classic case of flying through your wake and losing lift. Nothing was wrong with the control linkage. I'll take a closer look tomorrow.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Theo Kleynhans Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:28 am

Hi Rusty

Great work on the third place.

Sorry to hear and see your damage. It is never a joy to see that.

From the pic it does not look like there is a lot left to work with. Sorry man.

Theo
Theo Kleynhans
Theo Kleynhans
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:48 am

3RD. PLACE !!!! YEAH!! Very Happy Smoking bounce Thumbs Up GOOD JOB MAN , Skyray down Sad  man I know you put a lot of work into your models to get them right as possible and it hurts to see one go to the CAN! Another skyray in the build Q ?? Glad you had a good time over all. was the engine OK ? Eric Smile
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:39 am

batjac wrote:Man! Sorry to hear about the pancakes and re-kitting...  But, Third is great.  A long way from when I first met you last year and you were flying your WingMaster.  Great progress in such a little time.

The Impressed Mark

Whoops! It was late and I got confused on who started this post. Sorry Rusty. But, glad to hear you're progressing in classes.

The Doofus Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  duke.johnson Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:04 pm

That was me with the wingmaster. I should build another one of those, with a couple minor changes.
duke.johnson
duke.johnson
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:31 pm

Got some movies in the chute. I probably should mention about that third place, there were only three entrants, so sort of a dubious honor.
Restin' Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  dckrsn Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:09 pm

Dubious schmubious. You earned it man. Congrats!
Regarding the other not so good stuff,..... character builder. ;-)
Bob
dckrsn
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:17 pm

Yeah man,

Dubious or not, it's your award. The folks that may have taken it from you didn't show. You were there and you competed. Hang it on the wall!

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:09 pm

http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php/topic,37008.0/topicseen.html

The rest of the field is posted here. I think Rusty did pretty well.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:14 pm

Yeah, you guys are right. Forgive me for acting a little bummed, it has more to do with needlessly destroying my Skyray than how the contest went. But I'll never forget, nor will I ever fail to pass this thought on as I did to one person who flew his first contest; now for the rest of your life, you can always say, "I flew competitive control line aerobatics." And no one can ever take that away from you. Mark Boesen told me that, and it stuck as one of the significant truths of my life. I might get over the Skyray soon. Gotta do something about that empty hook on the shop ceiling. Rolling Eyes

Here's some of the fun:

Will Davis handing me the trophy
Pictures-What a weekend-The Good the Bad and the Ugly-but a warm fuzzy buzz! WP_20141019_006_zps53db668b

Me, Shawn Emery and Dennis Lipsett
Pictures-What a weekend-The Good the Bad and the Ugly-but a warm fuzzy buzz! WP_20141019_008_zps77e2392c

My son Al looking over Dan Banjock's eclectic fleet. No not electric!
Pictures-What a weekend-The Good the Bad and the Ugly-but a warm fuzzy buzz! SAM_2763_zpsf8c9bd59

Nervous activity in the Profile pits
Pictures-What a weekend-The Good the Bad and the Ugly-but a warm fuzzy buzz! WP_20141018_001_zps4c503c46

The Clown erupts!
Pictures-What a weekend-The Good the Bad and the Ugly-but a warm fuzzy buzz! WP_20141019_002_zps91123c80

Concentration
Pictures-What a weekend-The Good the Bad and the Ugly-but a warm fuzzy buzz! ShugProfile_zps9ca4017f

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:18 pm

pkrankow wrote:http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php/topic,37008.0/topicseen.html

The rest of the field is posted here.  I think Rusty did pretty well.

Phil
Yes I did particularly well in profile, I was happy about that. Watch the videos in Phil's link, they are a fantastic documentary of the Huntersville experience.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:48 pm

Great Stuff Rusty !
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:12 am

You have to be "In it" to "Win it"!

First or last doesn't really matter - it is the spirit of the thing, the entry to fly under pressure and cope with any associated stresses. The experience is reward in itself and it is obvious that you had a good time.

Skyray loss excepting but did the engine survive?

ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:06 am

ian1954 wrote:You have to be "In it" to "Win it"!

First or last doesn't really matter - it is the spirit of the thing, the entry to fly under pressure and cope with any associated stresses. The experience is reward in itself and it is obvious that you had a good time.

Skyray loss excepting  but did the engine survive?

Yep that's true, I outflew everyone who just came and watched with their hands in their pockets. A couple of experts opted out when the wind and sun didn't suit them. I think the engine is fine. Under the grass is very soft soil. It was buried up to the tank and I had to jerk it to free it. It's a great runner, I think it's fine and it will be used again.

It's time for me to get back to contributing to all of y'all's posts. I've been reading some but not responding yet.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:30 am

Rusty there will be another skyray , probably better than the old with the building experience you have now from the pic that S.O.B. HIT HARD!! (did the engine survive )??Phil thanks for the direction to SH I've watched most of it so far really good stuff. I would image meeting Shag was an experience in its self! lol! Eric Very Happy
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:12 am

Haha, you know what, I wish I'd been flying over pavement when I plowed that Skyray.. except the engine would be busted. Yeah I had fun with Shug. Iut in person, he's a real genuine good guy, not at all full of himself, and pays close attention to everyone he encounters.

Here are a couple of our flights. My camera seems to be lacking the best damn pattern I flew all weekend. Ain't that the way it goes.

https://youtu.be/WAEflIlxNTM

https://youtu.be/rjyhwdtcjsk

https://youtu.be/W6Gxf0np8cg

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:55 pm

RknRusty wrote:Yeah, you guys are right. Forgive me for acting a little bummed, it has more to do with needlessly destroying my Skyray than how the contest went. But I'll never forget, nor will I ever fail to pass this thought on as I did to one person who flew his first contest; now for the rest of your life, you can always say, "I flew competitive control line aerobatics." And no one can ever take that away from you. Mark Boesen told me that, and it stuck as one of the significant truths of my life. I might get over the Skyray soon. Gotta do something about that empty hook on the shop ceiling. Rolling Eyes

Here's some of the fun:

Will Davis handing me the trophy
Pictures-What a weekend-The Good the Bad and the Ugly-but a warm fuzzy buzz! WP_20141019_006_zps53db668b

Me, Shawn Emery and Dennis Lipsett
Pictures-What a weekend-The Good the Bad and the Ugly-but a warm fuzzy buzz! WP_20141019_008_zps77e2392c

My son Al looking over Dan Banjock's eclectic fleet. No not electric!
Pictures-What a weekend-The Good the Bad and the Ugly-but a warm fuzzy buzz! SAM_2763_zpsf8c9bd59

Nervous activity in the Profile pits
Pictures-What a weekend-The Good the Bad and the Ugly-but a warm fuzzy buzz! WP_20141018_001_zps4c503c46

The Clown erupts!
Pictures-What a weekend-The Good the Bad and the Ugly-but a warm fuzzy buzz! WP_20141019_002_zps91123c80

Concentration
Pictures-What a weekend-The Good the Bad and the Ugly-but a warm fuzzy buzz! ShugProfile_zps9ca4017f

It is good to see you guys having a good time enjoying this great hobby in a team..

The lonesome COX obsessed balogh
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:53 pm

Hey Rusty! Congratulations on a great experience shared with great people! Congrats on having competed with your "Osprey"! I enjoyed your build-thread!

As for the Ray.. remember her for the way she was flying that night before the mishap. I have a feeling that you'll build another one someday.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:50 pm

Thanks Roddie.
We have the technology! Bigger, better, and more agile.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:09 am

Meeting Shug (Shawn) Emery was one of the highlights of this past weekend. We were eating lunch when he came to the table. You could be having the worst day ever and this fellow will just make you laugh. He really is a showman and a real professional. The world needs more like him. Had I of flown stunt this weekend, we certainly would've been competitors. I hope to see him again in the circle. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:35 am

Ken Cook wrote:             Meeting Shug (Shawn) Emery was one of the highlights of this past weekend. We were eating lunch when he came to the table. You could be having the worst day ever and this fellow will just make you laugh. He really is a showman and a real professional. The world needs more like him. Had I of flown stunt this weekend, we certainly would've been competitors. I hope to see him again in the circle. Ken
He really is a genuine fellow behind that big ol' grin. He engaged anyone who wanted to talk to him, leaving no one feeling slighted for his attention. And he was stretched thin too, doing that great documentary, talking to everyone, making friends, and still focusing well enough to win first place in his first ever contest. I was lucky enough that we flew the same events both days and I was able to get to know him some without having to be a clingon.

He's on a 6 day backpacking trip now, no technology, no forum posts. I expect we'll see him show up by the weekend. I figure he's the kind of guy who's mind is so busy, he needs the wilderness just to get grounded again. His backpacking how-to videos are marvelous and he has thousands of followers on Youtube. The boy is truly made of something special. We all are... just sayin'
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next