Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Anybody get anything cool for Christmas? - Page 2 Cox_ba12

Anybody get anything cool for Christmas? - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by Yabby Today at 7:47 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by balogh Today at 7:23 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 5:44 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Yesterday at 8:20 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

» On ebay a very special Cox engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 6:32 am

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by Admin Yesterday at 12:51 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Anybody get anything cool for Christmas? - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

Anybody get anything cool for Christmas?

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Anybody get anything cool for Christmas? - Page 2 Empty Re: Anybody get anything cool for Christmas?

Post  balogh Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:20 am

Cribbs74 wrote:Let's hear it!

Yes, I got 2 books titled "Repülőmodellezés" meaning in Hungarian "Aeromodeling". The first volume is an antique book dating back to 1982, the 2nd volume is pretty new.
The 1st Volume is fine old-style engineering with lots of very handy explanations on what to do and how.
Anybody get anything cool for Christmas? - Page 2 Repyla10

The latter carries pretty theoretical stuff. So my ignorance will soon be over.... lol! (Neither one of them explains how to best avoid sticking your index finger and thumb together with CA glue, while building your balsa plane, though...)

Anybody get anything cool for Christmas? - Page 2 Repyla11

So chances are after 20+ R/C planes built in the past couple years my instincts will be fortified by science as well.

I also got some sunny weather, even though it was freezing cold, so I could fly my Skorch and Toucan R/C birds.
Anybody get anything cool for Christmas? - Page 2 Skorch10

Last, I  got an Amazon Kindle e-book reader..I downloaded one of my favorite documentary books Helter Skelter...may seem bizarre to read about the Charles Manson killing rampage in Xmas time, but this is a really thrilling book to read.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Anybody get anything cool for Christmas? - Page 2 Empty Re: Anybody get anything cool for Christmas?

Post  getback Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:29 am

Well my dad and I were not going to exchange but he decided I needed something and I got a regift from up stairs that I had bought him 15-20 yrs. ago and turned out to be more trouble than he wanted to put in too it . And he thinks he bought it but I kindly told him I had and we laughed on that some ..  Anybody get anything cool for Christmas? - Page 2 Wp_20143   lol!  Anybody get anything cool for Christmas? - Page 2 My_chr14  The Good stuff(from me to me)  Anybody get anything cool for Christmas? - Page 2 Fox_1510  And the Power plant!! Merry Christmas All CEFs  Eric Christmas Tree
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:59 am

Hey Eric!! Merry Christmas to you too!! That's an endearing story on the re-gift from your Dad. Nice model package from "you to you"........ Thumbs Up
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:12 am

Eric, what are you using those props for? Those props are used for Formula .40 racing engines.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:57 pm

ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:06 am

Anybody get anything cool for Christmas? - Page 2 10876810
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:23 am

I picked up this Team Associated Monster GT 8cc for my Son (and me) for Christmas so Friday set out in the yard for break-in and tuning.
After about 15 rounds it was a knock out, truck won. I could not get it to run anything but slobbering rich and would die with any throttle.
The carb has four adjustments idle, high speed, low speed and mixture setting. Started out at factory specs with Powermaster Car fuel 20%
and MC59 plugs at the end of the day I had blown two plugs and burned a quart of the fuel and truck would not run at all. Now I'm really [bleep]!!
So Sat. its off to the LHS and picked up some OS LC3 plugs and a gallon of Odonnell Car fuel. Drained and refilled the tank and installed new plug and the darn thing fired right off
and ran like a champ. I had the carb settings almost dead on( the factory specs are wrong) and moving a setting 1/8 turn has a big effect.
I can only assume the Powermaster fuel and MC59 plugs were crap. Thing runs like a scalded cat, pulls wheelies any time you gas it too hard.
Now for some of what the RC truck guys call Bashing!! Bad Xmas Gift

Anybody get anything cool for Christmas? - Page 2 Dsc00722

Anybody get anything cool for Christmas? - Page 2 Dsc00723
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:35 am

A MC-59 plug is designed for 0-10% nitro tops on plane useage. That really is a hot plug for the use you were shooting for. It's really a control line stunt engine plug. I'm surprised it lasted one run in a car engine and didn't cause pre ignition. The filament is weaker on a hot plug. The other factor is the heat range it was designed for. A car engine far surpasses that. A MC-8 is designed for 20% fuels in car use. The MC-9 is colder yet but the filament is heavier. Many of the car fuels are very low on oil content. Powermaster might have had more oil than your engine requires. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:48 am

Hi Ken, thanks, the thing came with the MC59s, the OS LC3 is a hot plug also and I haven't seen any pre ignition symptoms. Maybe I'm hurting the engine?
I also have a OS8 that is a medium heat range that I'll try today. What plug do you think would be best on 20%?
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:03 am

I wouldn't say your hurting the engine, your runs are probably suffering. I might add however that if you take out a plug and the element drops into the cylinder your not going to be so happy. I have one car actually truck. When I ran it on my standard plane fuel 10% nitro and 50/50 blend of castor synthetic, the engine ran horribly. I realized that I had too much oil in the fuel. The standard fuel that I was using had almost 7% less than what I was using. If your running 20% nitro, I would keep the plug heat range in the medium area. While my knowledge is mostly with control line use, I can certainly say most manufacturers have tried to keep on the path of utilizing a standard for plug heat ranges based on nitro use. I would suggest at least a #4 plug or medium heat range plug for 20% nitro. Each manufacturer of plug will make a difference in your run. Some obviously will work better and last longer. I know when I was able to go to our go to hobby shop, the owner was selling a lot of Enya plugs to the r/c car and truck owners. Enya plugs are quite expensive usually a #4 plug from Enya is around $9. A #6 plug was selling for $12. I would certainly try and find the obvious least expensive plug that works with regularity and durability. I wish I was more knowledgeable in the field of r/c cars. I just posted my last response due to using the MC-59 on a regular basis. Mccoy states however that the MC-59 can be used up to medium heat ranges but I have my serious doubts in regards to using that plug in car use. Air use is entirely different as cooling is different vs a car/truck. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:03 am

Its hard to find any info about the engine but I think its made by SuperTigre ( still not sure).
This is a photo of the replacement piston and liner

Anybody get anything cool for Christmas? - Page 2 Piston10

Anybody get anything cool for Christmas? - Page 2 Engine10
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  TDbandit Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:33 am

Nice man, I've been running R/C cars since the 80,s and the monster GT's are fun indeed and good luck keeping it on the ground once she loosens up! I'm surprised that you had problems with the VP (Powermaster) fuel though. I run it and have had no issues so far it could be the oil package though as Kim stated. VP uses a Synthetic/castor blend the castor being Klotz Benol if I'm not mistaken and the oil content in VP car fuels can go down as low as 11% content. Since you are bashing as the car folks say, stay away from the low content Race fuels of any make they are designed for max RPM with a sacrifice of longevity and as a consequence, it makes needle settings critical. My plugs of choice for standard plugs are the MC-9 as Kim stated and the OS#8 which I have found is a good all around plug. I race Nitro R/C cars (1/8 scale Buggy) and I would be happy to help ya so if you need any, let me know Smile (Bandit)
TDbandit
TDbandit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  TDbandit Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:41 am

crankbndr wrote:Its hard to find any info about the engine but I think its made by SuperTigre ( still not sure).
This is a photo of the replacement piston and liner

Anybody get anything cool for Christmas? - Page 2 Piston10

Anybody get anything cool for Christmas? - Page 2 Engine10
The engine I'm pretty sure is made by thundertiger and is somewhat based off their 50 size helicopter engine. Their decent motors as long as you take care of them. (Bandit)
TDbandit
TDbandit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:09 am

Thanks Bandit, the 20% Powermaster fuel is 14% oil, half castor and the Odonnell has no info at all on it just that is factory spec 20% but i'm pretty sure it all syn.
I still have a quart of Powermaster and going to try that with the OS8 plug.
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  TDbandit Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:37 pm

crankbndr wrote:Thanks Bandit, the 20% Powermaster fuel is 14% oil, half castor and the Odonnell has no info at all on it just that is factory spec 20% but i'm pretty sure it all syn.
I still have a quart of Powermaster and going to try that with the OS8 plug.
No problem! Smile BTW If it says race on the O'Donnell bottle it's full synthetic at 8% Their RTR (Ready To Run) fuel which is a good fuel has Castor/synthetic at 14% with more castor than synthetic content. As far as Powermaster is concerned it sounds like you've got their Master Basher blend which is about right. One thing about that Carb Since its a 3 needle carb 1. HS 2. LS mix 3. Mid Range adj. a good rule of thumb when concerning the Mid range (The screw on the HS needle side) is to set it so that it's flush with the carb body and leave it, then use the needle on the side of the slider for adjusting the low speed mix. Never use both at the same time. (Bandit)
TDbandit
TDbandit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:39 pm

My daughter got me a new ipad..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtXWWRyJLPw
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:32 pm

lol! lol! Hea man !! KEN I DONT kNOW SEEM LIKE A GOOD IDEA AT THE TIME Stupid cap loc ////I think I ordered the wrong thing DAMMIT! nice looking Truck huh frame / engine , Crankbendr Glad ur getting it straightened out , Nice Ipad Roddie Cool  a personalize MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU !!  Eric Very Happy
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Anybody get anything cool for Christmas? - Page 2 Empty A hand crafted Gee-Haw Whimmydiddle!

Post  RknRusty Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:25 pm

I got a couple of cool presents from my sister. A hand crafted Gee-Haw Whimmydiddle! When I was a kid, I remember sitting on an old guy's porch watching him carve. He had a whimmydiddle, much bigger than my new one, and tried unsuccessfully to teach me to use it. So I got my next try this Christmas, and I can make it go pretty good. But reverse is a challenge because most of my fingers don't point where they're supposed to anymore.

She also gave me the aluminum miniature USS Enterprise NCC-1701. Looks tricky to put together. Fun. Clapping

I had a really great Christmas. Dinner was an oyster roast, of which I was the oyster master. I actually saw... and ate the biggest damn oyster I have ever seen in my life. Turkey breast, leg of lamb, ham, prime rib, and all kinds of side dishes. And deserts. Mercy. I am incredibly lucky to have an interesting and fun family.

...And no, I'm not tipping the egg nog. lol. Here's the loot:

https://youtu.be/m0YvY6F_Bmw

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that ball-on-a-string game. I'm surprisingly good at it. Maybe I should go to a longer line.
Rusty
Anybody get anything cool for Christmas? - Page 2 Wp_20116

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:56 pm

Well, now I have seen everything!

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:16 am

I first saw the Whimmy sticks when I was in my 20s, great bar trick. I had one that worked great and lost it so I tried to make one.
I could never make one that worked right, very hard to make a good one.
If you don't yell WHIMMY at it just right they don't work. Laughing
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:58 am

RknRusty wrote:I got a couple of cool presents from my sister. A hand crafted Gee-Haw Whimmydiddle! When I was a kid, I remember sitting on an old guy's porch watching him carve. He had a whimmydiddle, much bigger than my new one, and tried unsuccessfully to teach me to use it. So I got my next try this Christmas, and I can make it go pretty good. But reverse is a challenge because most of my fingers don't point where they're supposed to anymore.

Rusty sorry for my ignorance but on what principle does this devil's propeller work?
I did not see any physical contact between the prop and the stick with which you were agitating the stem...
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:01 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gee-haw_whammy_diddle
this might help.

I've seen them before but never knew they were this controllable.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Davenz13 Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:19 pm

For about four years I've been chasing parts for a vintage racing motorcycle (1970 XR750)I'm restoring. The rolling chassis is all done and the last two years spent finding parts for the motor. Motor is now fully reconditioned and also the magneto and ready to put into the chassis. Hope to do that early in the new year when everything settles down. Last thing to do was the carburettor. I have two old ones and the plan was to try and make one good one out of the two. Then a few before Christmas what do I find on eBay, a tillotson HD5A racing carburettor, not only the correct part but brand new old stock. I sniped it for US$310.50. Should arrive in a week or so. My Christmas present to me.

Anybody get anything cool for Christmas? - Page 2 Tillot10

Davenz13
Davenz13
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:41 pm

Here I thought Brit bike parts were expensive. That's a big pill to swallow for such a little part. Must be rare as Hens teeth.

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Davenz13 Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:32 pm

Cribbs74 wrote:Here I thought Brit bike parts were expensive. That's a big pill to swallow for such a little part. Must be rare as Hens teeth.

Yes even though the carb cross's over to a sister bike (XLR) they are fairly rare and nos ones more so. No one seems to know for sure exactly how many 1970 iron XR750 motorcycles were made but the consensus is just over the 200 mark. 200 being the minimum to homologate the model for racing. In short they were pretty much an absolute failure and the HD race shop set about building a replacement which came out in 1972 and was an instant success. But meanwhile back at the ranch everyone who had one of these was trying to get it to run long enough to finish a race. Less than half of the 200 sold and later in the decade when one of the big bosses found over a hundred of them stored in a basement he ordered them all scrapped so the bikes themselves are reasonably scarce.
Davenz13
Davenz13
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next