Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

N.E.S.T./500 news Cox_ba12

N.E.S.T./500 news Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Indexing COX cylinders
by balogh Today at 1:10 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Yesterday at 8:20 pm

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by sosam117 Yesterday at 6:58 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Cox International Yesterday at 12:27 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Yesterday at 7:43 am

» On ebay a very special Cox engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 6:32 am

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by Admin Yesterday at 12:51 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

N.E.S.T./500 news Empty
Live on Patrol

N.E.S.T./500 news

Go down

N.E.S.T./500 news Empty N.E.S.T./500 news

Post  roddie Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:03 pm

I wanted to post this here; especially for the benefit of our members who share in interest in CLPA history and current activity. N.E.S.T is an acronym for the "New England Stunt Team".. and the "500" originally represented points earned in AMA expert-level Precision Aerobatic Stunt-Flying contests. As you may know; there are not many people to achieve this level.

I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Damian Sheehy last Spring at a NEST "Fly-In" at their field in Wrentham, MA. Damian has kept me up to date with NEST activities. Below is a excerpt from a recent newsletter..

Dear Fellow Control Line Flyers,

We are starting the 2015 stunt year with the great news that distinguished NEST member Dave Cook has been inducted into the PAMPA Hall of Fame. This honor follows Dave’s national recognition by the AMA in 2012, when we was presented with the Carl Goldberg Vital People Award and the AMA Distinguished Service Award, for outstanding contributions to Aero-modeling. It comes as no surprise to NEST members that Dave hasn’t lost his competitive edge in retirement and continues to bring home the hardware! Our congratulations go out to Dave and his family on an honor that is well deserved. It was justly earned by lifelong dedication and personal sacrifice to aero-modeling.
NEST has been busy planning for the year ahead and we will start off the season with our traditional May Fly-In. To celebrate Dave’s induction, the theme for this year’s Fly-In is borrowed from the title of an article he wrote for Control Line World: “Stunt in New England in the Good Old Days.” We will have a reenactment of the good old days and anyone with a connection to stunt in NE is expected to be there – with a plane of course!

District One will formally present the HOF award to Dave in Wrentham on Saturday, May, 16. We will have a big-top tent, good food and good stunt entertainment. Please get the word out to the stunt community and encourage them to attend. All are welcome! We have brought the Mass Cup competition forward by one week this year. This year’s competition will be held during the Labor Day weekend. In the past, the Crackerbarrel Fair at the Wrentham Fairgrounds took place a week after the Mass Cup and preparations for that have been encroaching on our competition. We will announce the dates for Lee in July as there are logistical dependencies on that date, as you know.
The dates for this year’s events are as follows:
 May 16 & 17 NEST “Stunt in the Good Old Days” Fly-In, Wrentham
 June 13 Summer Stunt Fly-In
 August-TBD Stunt in the Berkshires, Lee
 Sept 5 & 6 Mass Cup, Wrentham
 Oct 3 & 4 Fall Profile Stunt Fly-In, Wrentham
As always, we are looking for CD’s and judges to cover the Lee and Wrentham events. Please check the box in the return form if you can volunteer. We are also looking for younger members to take on NEST committee positions and assist with running the program at Wrentham. Please let me know if you can assist with that. We look forward to seeing you in the spring!
Yours in Stunt,
Damian Sheehy

I first met Dave Cook back in the early 1990's. We lived in the same town.. and back then I attended NEST meetings at Dave's house. Dave is now in his mid-80's. If any of you are interested in attending; PM me and I'll provide you with Damian Sheehy's contact information.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

N.E.S.T./500 news Empty Re: N.E.S.T./500 news

Post  getback Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:37 pm

Good Stuff !! but I am no where close to there and my transportation sucks Sad Roddie are you going for volunteer now that you have time and interest ? No Pun Intended of coarse , I think I said that right Shocked Looks like a lot of fun for sure , Getback Very Happy
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:39 am

getback wrote:Good Stuff !! but I am no where close to there and my transportation sucks Sad   Roddie are you going for volunteer now that you have time and interest ?  No Pun Intended of coarse , I think I said that right Shocked Looks like a lot of fun for sure , Getback Very Happy

Hi Eric, no worries concerning your suggestion. I have the NEST Fly-In on my calendar. With a little perseverance.. and luck, I will have my Ringmaster ready to fly. I believe (have to inquire..) that running open-face engines will be ok. I don't want to put any type of muffler on my Fox .35. I'll have to renew my AMA membership before then though.. or else have someone else fly it that day.

Dave Cook designed a "Rare Bear" stunt ship back in 2002. It's like my CEF Reed-Speed model... except it's a lot BIGGER! I don't know if he ever built it though. Dave's designing/building/flying skills were nothing short of amazing. He's in his 80's now.. and doesn't fly anymore but he's still very active in the hobby and it's always a pleasure to see and talk with him.

Here's a small format drawing of his Rare Bear design. 56" span, 670 sq. 24" tail-plane.

N.E.S.T./500 news Dave_c12

I don't know what the engine size is.. but back in the early 1990's.. Dave was running Super Tiger G.51's in his stunt ships exclusively.

N.E.S.T./500 news Supert10
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat May 16, 2015 3:04 pm

roddie wrote:I wanted to post this here; especially for the benefit of our members who share in interest in CLPA history and current activity. N.E.S.T is an acronym for the "New England Stunt Team".. and the "500" originally represented points earned in AMA expert-level Precision Aerobatic Stunt-Flying contests. As you may know; there are not many people to achieve this level.

I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Damian Sheehy last Spring at a NEST "Fly-In" at their field in Wrentham, MA. Damian has kept me up to date with NEST activities. Below is a excerpt from a recent newsletter..

Dear Fellow Control Line Flyers,

We are starting the 2015 stunt year with the great news that distinguished NEST member Dave Cook has been inducted into the PAMPA Hall of Fame. This honor follows Dave’s national recognition by the AMA in 2012, when we was presented with the Carl Goldberg Vital People Award and the AMA Distinguished Service Award, for outstanding contributions to Aero-modeling. It comes as no surprise to NEST members that Dave hasn’t lost his competitive edge in retirement and continues to bring home the hardware! Our congratulations go out to Dave and his family on an honor that is well deserved. It was justly earned by lifelong dedication and personal sacrifice to aero-modeling.
NEST has been busy planning for the year ahead and we will start off the season with our traditional May Fly-In. To celebrate Dave’s induction, the theme for this year’s Fly-In is borrowed from the title of an article he wrote for Control Line World: “Stunt in New England in the Good Old Days.” We will have a reenactment of the good old days and anyone with a connection to stunt in NE is expected to be there – with a plane of course!

District One will formally present the HOF award to Dave in Wrentham on Saturday, May, 16. We will have a big-top tent, good food and good stunt entertainment. Please get the word out to the stunt community and encourage them to attend. All are welcome! We have brought the Mass Cup competition forward by one week this year. This year’s competition will be held during the Labor Day weekend. In the past, the Crackerbarrel Fair at the Wrentham Fairgrounds took place a week after the Mass Cup and preparations for that have been encroaching on our competition. We will announce the dates for Lee in July as there are logistical dependencies on that date, as you know.
The dates for this year’s events are as follows:
 May 16 & 17 NEST “Stunt in the Good Old Days” Fly-In, Wrentham
 June 13 Summer Stunt Fly-In
 August-TBD Stunt in the Berkshires, Lee
 Sept 5 & 6 Mass Cup, Wrentham
 Oct 3 & 4 Fall Profile Stunt Fly-In, Wrentham
As always, we are looking for CD’s and judges to cover the Lee and Wrentham events. Please check the box in the return form if you can volunteer. We are also looking for younger members to take on NEST committee positions and assist with running the program at Wrentham. Please let me know if you can assist with that. We look forward to seeing you in the spring!
Yours in Stunt,
Damian Sheehy

I first met Dave Cook back in the early 1990's. We lived in the same town.. and back then I attended NEST meetings at Dave's house. Dave is now in his mid-80's. If any of you are interested in attending; PM me and I'll provide you with Damian Sheehy's contact information.

Today Dave Cook received his PAMPA Hall of Fame award at the Wrentham, MA field.

N.E.S.T./500 news Dsc02717
N.E.S.T./500 news Dsc02718
N.E.S.T./500 news Dsc02719

It was well attended and quite breezy. Here's a few stills.

Here's an electric that I got some vid of.. I'll try to get vids posted by Sunday.
N.E.S.T./500 news Dsc02720
N.E.S.T./500 news Dsc02721
N.E.S.T./500 news Dsc02722
N.E.S.T./500 news Dsc02723
N.E.S.T./500 news Dsc02724
N.E.S.T./500 news Dsc02725
N.E.S.T./500 news Dsc02726
N.E.S.T./500 news Dsc02727
N.E.S.T./500 news Dsc02728
N.E.S.T./500 news Dsc02729
N.E.S.T./500 news Dsc02730
N.E.S.T./500 news Dsc02731
N.E.S.T./500 news Dsc02732
N.E.S.T./500 news Dsc02733
N.E.S.T./500 news Dsc02734
N.E.S.T./500 news Dsc02735
N.E.S.T./500 news Dsc02736
N.E.S.T./500 news Dsc02737
N.E.S.T./500 news Dsc02738
N.E.S.T./500 news Dsc02739
N.E.S.T./500 news Dsc02740
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun May 17, 2015 7:43 am

Thanks Roddie , Looks like a lot of fun going on ! Nice looking planes too //Videos bounce Popcorn
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

N.E.S.T./500 news Empty vids

Post  roddie Wed May 27, 2015 8:50 pm

not great video.. but some nice flying.

The start of the 1st vid captures an electric.. You'll hear it over the glow engine model flying in the circle next to him. I got some vid of both models.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZGeIw9NN3k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vy9f-Yyhy4

Below link is Damian Sheehy flying his Nobler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UF78-ZBdiQk

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu May 28, 2015 7:39 am

Fun Fun Fun Thanks for posting Roddie , Look like the guy with the Nobler bout hit the deck that one time Shocked Good save . Did you not take anything to fly ? or just not able too ?
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat May 30, 2015 2:38 pm

getback wrote:Fun Fun Fun   Thanks for posting Roddie , Look like the guy with the Nobler bout hit the deck that one time Shocked  Good save . Did you not take anything to fly ? or just not able too ?

Yes.. there were a few close-calls in those flight vids. The first vid.. had two; near the end of a flight (see 3:15).. The guy flying the glow-powered model did a loop just prior to his engine quitting. The model made about a half lap before touchdown. It was a risky move.. because just a few laps earlier, the engine was leaning-out and burping in his last few maneuvers.

I had enough advance notice to finish my S1 Ring.. but I was concentrating more this past Spring, on getting back to work. I couldn't afford the AMA license that I would have needed to fly there that day anyway. I am back to work now though.. I'm four weeks into a new job and it's good to have a routine and feel "useful/productive" again.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:31 pm

Hey Roddie, I finally got around to this thread. Sorry it took so long. Good job taking pictures of really nice planes. And some serious freestyle flying. That's the kind of flying I like to do with the little ones, but unplanned free styling always gets me into trouble with the big ones. Looks like there was some pretty tricky wind that day too.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: