Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Cox car engines Cox_ba12

Cox car engines Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Today at 2:32 am

» Elfin 0.5cc (Arnie Hende replica)
by dan vincent Today at 2:18 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by layback209 Today at 2:10 am

» Anderson Baby Spitfire - looking for the aft tank and gasket
by Boats13 Today at 1:18 am

» Fuel residue stain clening help
by akjgardner Today at 12:53 am

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Today at 12:00 am

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by sosam117 Yesterday at 10:55 pm

» Cox powered boat litle shrimp hidroplane
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 7:52 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Yesterday at 6:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Yesterday at 2:36 pm

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 12:56 pm

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 3:14 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Cox car engines Empty
Live on Patrol

Cox car engines

Go down

Thinking Cox car engines

Post  Marleysky Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:09 am

As a youngster, I went thru a good many Cox cars from the Chapperal to the corvette. When they broke or would no longer operate, I'd remove the glow head and maybe the needle valve and toss the sheetmetal frame and broken body in the trash. I vaguely remember trying to remove the flywheel , fan and gear with little success, the crank was not compatible with installing a prop driver for airplane use, so I don't remember keeping many of those engines. I do have a couple some where in the bottom of a box. I just received two more in a local purchase.  So, I have a couple of questions:

1- Can these engines be repurposed to airplane use by removing the flywheel, fan, gear and installing a new crank with splined / threaded end to mount a prop driver?

2- If they can't be retro-fitted are they more valuable as a Replacement motor for cars?
See this listing, the bid price is way higher than what I'd expect, is that normal or is this one different?  Mine have a sheet metal mounting bracket, this one does not:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/0-49-thimble-drome-wen-mac-cox-car-engine-/121582376

Thanks, Rene
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Thinking Re: Cox car engines

Post  TDbandit Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:22 am

Hm if i'm not mistaken the crank for the car engines were a bit larger in diameter than the aircraft version. I have seen them used in planes though, you just have to have a drive-washer machined to fit the taper. (Bandit)
TDbandit
TDbandit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:23 pm

Rene , I had a bag of parts $ engines from a purchase and were fitting parts to make engines and Bandit is right larger diameter crank but I found larger cranks with splines that would fit the case but only one drive plate /// that is where the problem is, the drive plate 's are hard to find . I am not sure what engine they were on maybe someone else would no.Eric
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:37 pm

In my opinion the engine is worth more to the tether car tinkerers, those engines are from Cox 1/20 scale tether cars.
There is nothing special about the one in your link other than it has nice fan, flywheel, and gear.

This is the set up for a Cox Gurney Eagle

Cox car engines Img_2513

Cox Buick

Cox car engines Img_1715
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:05 pm

Marleysky,

You may want to open this link: https://www.coxengineforum.com/h24-instruction-sheets

Under the 1973 Parts catalogue section you will find the exploded parts listing and view of the car engine and others that shows you the crankcase details as well as the splined shaft end that I believe is the same on all COX 049 reedies. So you just have to find a prop drive plate with which the car engine easily converts into a plane engine.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:20 pm

balogh wrote:Marleysky,

You may want to open this link: https://www.coxengineforum.com/h24-instruction-sheets

Under the 1973 Parts catalogue section you will find the exploded parts listing and view of the car engine and others that shows you the crankcase details as well as the splined shaft end that I believe is the same on all COX 049 reedies. So you just have to find a prop drive plate with which the car engine easily converts into a plane engine.

Balogh- Thank you very much for the link. I never would have thought to look there. That's just incredible, one of the engines came off a "snowmobile" cause it has the thicker flywheel with the knurled surface and those little clutch dogs with springs for the pull starter! Thanks, I learned something again today! Shocked
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:32 pm

crankbndr wrote:In my opinion the engine is worth more to the tether car tinkerers, those engines are from Cox 1/20 scale tether cars.
There is nothing special about the one in your link other than it has nice fan, flywheel, and gear.

This is the set up for a Cox Gurney Eagle

Cox car engines Img_2513

Cox Buick

Cox car engines Img_1715

Yeah, I'm gonna keep an eye on that and see how high it gets, then I'll decide on wether to sell it or frankenstein'n it for airplane use. Well as noted from my behavior as a youngster, there may not be as many of the "car" engines as there are of the (normal, regular ?) standard 049 engines. The only one that survived the carnage, I still have although it's not a Cox, but the Testors Sprite Indy car, it was just too cool looking to crash. Thanks.
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down