Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

What is a good 6x3 prop? - Page 2 Cox_ba12

What is a good 6x3 prop? - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by Yabby Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 5:44 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Yesterday at 8:20 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

» On ebay a very special Cox engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 6:32 am

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by Admin Yesterday at 12:51 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

What is a good 6x3 prop? - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

What is a good 6x3 prop?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What is a good 6x3 prop? - Page 2 Empty Re: What is a good 6x3 prop?

Post  Cribbs74 Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:10 pm

Shoot Yeah Bernie!

Good job.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Surfer_kris Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:51 pm

That sounds good with a proper sized hole for the 6x3 props. If they can't do it, it is no big deal one can just put a piece of small fuel tubing.

Their 7x3 props are quite big though, certainly not suited for .049 or .074 (Queen Bee) engines, and I think it would be a little too high load for the 09 TD too. It might work on the Medallion .09 though.
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cox International Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:16 pm

According to Cox documentation, the 7" props are for

Medallion .049 on the large side
Tee Dee .049 on the large side
Queen Bee .074
Medallion .09 on the small side
Tee Dee .09 on the small side

We have much demand for 7" props but no stock. Also, they will be a good match for our diesel engines.

Cox International
Cox International
Top Poster
Top Poster

Official Cox Dealer

http://www.coxengines.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Surfer_kris Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:50 pm

Cox International wrote:According to Cox documentation, the 7" props are for

Medallion .049 on the large side
Tee Dee .049 on the large side
Queen Bee .074
Medallion .09 on the small side
Tee Dee .09 on the small side

We have much demand for 7" props but no stock. Also, they will be a good match for our diesel engines.

Yes, the Graupner 7x3 will be good for diesel engines, the higher weight gives a bit of inertia which helps with starting and the revs will never be very high anyway.

I just think that they are a little thick in their profile to replace the cox 7x3.5 on a high revving .09 TD engine, that's all. There is a Rev-up 7x3.5 that is closer to the Cox prop, in my opinion.

Since a picture says more than a thousand words, here is a little line-up of different 6" and 7" props;

What is a good 6x3 prop? - Page 2 Img_5710

Larger format;

What is a good 6x3 prop? - Page 2 Img_5711
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:53 pm

I think the best thing about the Cox 6x3 is the reason it's coined the "Rubber Ducky." Nobody I know of makes props that are as indestructible these days. My direct replacement for my Cox and Norvel engines is the MA GF series 6x3 which I cut down to my preference. They will break but are not as fragile as APC and others. Usually not on a dead stick nose-over landing.

Off topic, but I think 6" props inhibit the power of Tee Dees and other SPI engines that need high RPMs to really do their thing.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:39 pm

Actually one would have to look at all factors, not necessarily running at an RPM that is at the highest HP output will give the best flight. It all depends on the type of plane, desired performance, etc.

Granted the 6x3 prop may not place the static run Tee Dee .049 at its highest horsepower, when it is in the air dynamics change. Also, satisfactory flight is depended on the torque curve as well as the HP curve.

According to SceptreFlight Nov-62 Aeromodeller Cox Tee Dee .049 by R.H. Warring, the torque curve is relatively flat from 13,300 to 20,000 RPM peaking at 18,000 RPM, decreasing as one approaches maximum HP at 22,000 RPM. A Top Flite nylon 6x3 prop with 25% nitro turned at 18,400 RPM, at the peak of the torque. A 5.25x3 TF nylon turned 21,000 RPM toward its maximum HP.

SceptreFlight Dec-61 Model Aircraft Cox Tee Dee .049 though not stated appears to be written by Peter Chinn. It's observations are similar.

Dec-61 Model Aircraft wrote:Performance. The Tee-Dee .049 was very definitely much happier when allowed its head - in other words, when permitted to turn at least 17,000 r.p.m. This is not to say that the engine lacks power when loaded for lower speeds. One of the remarkable features of the .049's performance is its ability to turn comparatively large props (e.g. 7x4, 7x3) faster than any other engine of similar capacity. However, it is apt to become a trifle uneven and for r.p.m. to wander slightly on such props, whereas it smooths out at above 17,000 and is absolutely rock steady at speeds around the b.h.p. peaking speed of 21,000 r.p.m. The fastest we had the .049 turning was 23,000 and it seemed quite prepared to go on at this speed indefinitely. [....]

The actual torque developed by the Tee-Dee .049 was the highest yet recorded in this series for a 0.8 c.c. engine and reached a maximum of 8.1 oz. in. at around 14,000 r.p.m., equivalent to a brake mean effective pressure of approximately 64 lb./sq. in. - a figure which, a few years ago, would have seemed impossible with a Half-A glow engine. The decline of the torque curve was at an almost constant ratio up to 20,000 r.p.m. and resulted in the quite phenomenal b.h.p. of .145 at 21,000.

CL fliers take advantage of the torque curve, turning larger props at slower RPM and slowing engine speed down a little running a rich 4 cycle that breaks into 2 during stunts even though modern sport Schneurles are designed to provide more power at higher RPM's.

Figuring that the engine unloads once plane is up to full speed means an another 1,000 - 2,000 RPM to the static bench running figures, bringing the engine closer to its higher horsepower figure.

Thus as Bernie points out, the sales of the props with feedback from buyers tell a slightly different story. In the right setting, that 7x3, 7x4, 6x3 or 6x4 prop may be more than suitable on the Tee Dee .049 although it is not driving the engine at its maximum rated horsepower. Then other factors enter in such as fuels and glow heads.

Also of interest, according to SceptreFlight May-61 Aermodeller Cox Babe Bee & Golden Bee the 6x3 and 6x4 props run close to maximum HP, making them the right prop for these engines. I like them for my Black Widows.
Prop selection is perhaps more of an art than science. Easter Bunny
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:24 am

I really like the 6x3 and 6x4 props on my stronger reed engines. For CL flying the 5 inch props just don't pull as well. I never thought of trying a 7 inch prop on either a bee or TD for my flying, but might have to give it a go once.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cox International Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:07 am

Regardless of suitability for a particular engine or application, we are approaching this on a business level. Having sold about 6,000 props 6x3 in a few years, and almost out of stock, we are simply sourcing a replacement.

Not too sure what our buyers do with the props but they sure sell well bounce
Cox International
Cox International
Top Poster
Top Poster

Official Cox Dealer

http://www.coxengines.com

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:06 am

Sorry, Bernie, this is the wrong place for such a debate. What I said in my first paragraph of my most recent post was meant to be relevant and helpful to your selection of a new 6x3 source. I should have left it there.
Rusty
I wrote: I think the best thing about the Cox 6x3 is the reason it's coined the "Rubber Ducky." Nobody I know of makes props that are as indestructible these days. My direct replacement for my Cox and Norvel engines is the MA GF series 6x3 which I cut down to my preference. They will break but are not as fragile as APC and others. Usually not on a dead stick nose-over landing.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:34 am

Cox International wrote:Regardless of suitability for a particular engine or application, we are approaching this on a business level. Having sold about 6,000 props 6x3 in a few years, and almost out of stock, we are simply sourcing a replacement.

Not too sure what our buyers do with the props but they sure sell well bounce
As this being said Bernie , Do you believe the replacement should be as close to the original as possible to assume the sales will bee the same ? If using a different product may not sell as well ? And is it asking too much of A company already set up to make a prop could not make a mold from the assisting product in question at a reasonable price knowing you would buy more or could have a byers contract to purchase a amount in a reasonable amount of time . I just think that if it sells that good don't change it . Eric
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:49 am

RknRusty wrote:Sorry, Bernie, this is the wrong place for such a debate. What I said in my first paragraph of my most recent post was meant to be relevant and helpful to your selection of a new 6x3 source. I should have left it there. Rusty
I wrote: I think the best thing about the Cox 6x3 is the reason it's coined the "Rubber Ducky." Nobody I know of makes props that are as indestructible these days. My direct replacement for my Cox and Norvel engines is the MA GF series 6x3 which I cut down to my preference. They will break but are not as fragile as APC and others. Usually not on a dead stick nose-over landing.
I think it not a matter of debate but rather discussion. Everyone approaches from their own view point tempered with their experiences and preferences. Each has a unique viewpoint. There is not wrong, it is just a matter of personal context related to their use.

I pointed out from Warren's and Chinn's articles to show that there is technical justification to prop use and may explain why sales are popular for these size of props. Of course it may be that some use them as paint stirrers.  Shocked  Laughing

Probably the closest to the old nylon unreinforced Cox props might be the Grish Tornado nylon props. I don't know if they are still available. I liked the old Top Flite white nylon props with red silk screening, they were decent props for the reedies. Too bad they are no longer made. Sad
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next