Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

adding castor  Cox_ba12

adding castor  Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by sosam117 Today at 6:59 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 6:57 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 5:44 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Yesterday at 8:20 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

» On ebay a very special Cox engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 6:32 am

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by Admin Yesterday at 12:51 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

adding castor  Empty
Live on Patrol

adding castor

Go down

adding castor  Empty adding castor

Post  getback Mon May 04, 2015 11:07 am

I ran my McCoy 19 RH yesterday briefly twice 1-1.5 mins. with a new OS A3 plug 15% sig fuel the Pink reg stuff and after the second run noticed it had gotten very hot , Would 2 OZ. of castor be about right to a quart of this fuel to bring with end cooling standards ? Thanks
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

adding castor  Empty Re: adding castor

Post  chevyiron420 Mon May 04, 2015 2:48 pm

I dont have any experience with the .19, but if its like the .35 I would run 26% oil. I would also run 10% nitro. I tried to find out what your fuel had in it but couldn’t. I think .32 oz of oil will add 1% to a quart roughly, so if the fuel is 16% oil, and you want 26%, then .32 oz times 10 = 3.2 oz.confused
Phil
chevyiron420
chevyiron420
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon May 04, 2015 9:33 pm

That's about right. Guessing at the other contents, I got this result.

adding castor  Captur10

Calculator:
http://www.nitrorc.com/default2.asp?Introduction=http://www.nitrorc.com/fuelws/oilonly.asp

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Mon May 04, 2015 10:16 pm

Here's a chart for Sig fuel with 20% oil:

adding castor  Add_oi10
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Tue May 05, 2015 4:38 am

Eric, I would try and keep that engine on a maximum of 10% nitro. Diluting your fuel with the above oil will certainly dull down the nitro content. Depending on the prop your using 15% nitro could break the crankshaft if it backfires.  We like to say, "Don't stand in front of it". What prop were you using? A woodie 8x6 is a good choice with the .19. There's not a whole lot of room for prop choices with the .19. The props available at the time had a fairly wide variety of blade options to choose from even if they were all the same pitch. Use caution if using a Master Airscrew prop due to the bumps on the drive washer not seating correctly. This is why I suggested wood. The hollow recessed sections on the back of the hub is a very poor design on the Master Airscrew. The pink Sig fuel if it's Champion is a 50/50 blend of castor and synthetic which is typically 20% oil. Not enough oil for that engine . Sig offers Champion in a all castor fuel which comes in 20% and 25% oil content. You should use the higher oil content.  The .19 is louder than the .35 when running so I highly recommend ear plugs. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue May 05, 2015 7:21 am

Thanks Guys , Ken the prop is a top flight 9x7 woody power point . It was running at a slobber maybe 1/2 throttled with the needle /// well since Sig don't offer qt. size all castor and hazelmat is hi ,I will just mix I guess for now unless someone knows where to get it in qts. If I get quarts and add castor should I get the 15% nitro since the castor will bring the content down? Eric
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Tue May 05, 2015 7:41 am

Eric.
Using the link to the calculator Rusty posted, you still end up with more nitro than you need for the McCoy.
adding castor  Pictur11
Sounds like the fuel you've been using is 15% nitro & 20% oil, so they're the figures I used.  Adding caster to 25% only drops the nitro to 14.1%.  You could get the nitro down by adding more methanol and oil, but that calculator doesn't allow that.

Rod.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Tue May 05, 2015 12:52 pm

getback wrote:I ran my McCoy 19 RH yesterday briefly twice 1-1.5 mins. with a new OS A3 plug 15% sig fuel the Pink reg stuff and after the second run noticed it had gotten very hot , Would 2 OZ. of castor be about right to a quart of this fuel to bring with end cooling standards ? Thanks
To your Sig Champion 15%, which is 10% Klotz and 10% Castor for total 20% oil, I recommend adding 2.25 ounces to your quart fuel mixture, which would give you a total oil content of 25.2%. this is only 1/4 ounce more than your 2 ounce addition, which left it at 24.7% oil.

Sig Champion 15% as is:
ComponentPercentOunces
Nitro15.04.80
Synth Oil10.03.20
Castor Oil10.03.20
Methanol65.020.80
Total100.032.0
After adding 2.25 ounces Castor oil:
ComponentPercentOunces
Nitro14.04.80
Synth Oil9.33.20
Castor Oil15.95.45
Methanol60.720.80
Total100.034.25
Then oil make up becomes:
ComponentPercent
Castor Oil15.9
Synth Oil9.3
Total Oil25.2
Then oil ratio becomes:
ComponentPercent
Castor Oil63.1
Synth Oil36.9
All Oil100.0

This is late 1940's technology, engine running hot during break in is normal. You have a lot of friction as the honing and lapping marks wear off and the metals become fitted and polished. With the short running with cooling period you describe will put it through the needed heat cycle. Adding 2.25 ounces Castor running rich will help take away heat through the oil being slung out.

Regarding the 15% nitro, that is what I am using. It is not ideal but is acceptable, if you up the oil. The engine will settle down as you put more time on it as it wears in. I wouldn't run the 25% nitro though. (15% RC fuel was the only one available at my LHS 95 miles away.)

If you get a gallon of say 5% or 10% nitro RC fuel with 2% Castor, 16% Synth oil package at your LHS, I'd add at least 12 ounces Castor. This will up the Castor content to 10% with 25% oil total.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed May 06, 2015 5:06 pm

Mixed up 2.2 Oz. of castor with the 15 % sig and she seems to like it don't have a smaller wood prop that will work,,, SOB is LOUD though Devil Only getting about .30-1.00 min runs until the head would BRAND you if you held on .... This McCoy is One very easy engine to start and has a lot of Torque even at med. speed Beer Cheers Only broke to a 2 cycle once for a sec . to hear it Eyebrows (I LIKE JUST LIKE THE 09 I HAVE ) MAYBE JUST GOT LUCKY AND GOT SOME GOOD ONE'S cheers
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Wed May 06, 2015 5:16 pm

I agree that the McCoys are the loudest engines I have ever run- man they bite. Affraid or WOW!
Also, sounds like the temperature thing is typical because they end up a smoking sizzling mess at the end of any bench run.

Rod.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Wed May 06, 2015 8:27 pm

getback wrote:Mixed up 2.2 Oz. of castor with the 15 % sig and she seems to like it don't have a smaller wood prop that will work,,, SOB is LOUD though Devil Only getting about .30-1.00 min runs until the head would BRAND you if you held on .... This McCoy is One very easy engine to start and has a lot of Torque even at med. speed Beer Cheers Only broke to a 2 cycle once for a sec . to hear it Eyebrows (I LIKE JUST LIKE THE 09 I HAVE) MAYBE JUST GOT LUCKY AND GOT SOME GOOD ONE'S cheers
Eric, according to the original Testors instructions for the McCoy .19 RH, break in prop is an 8x4 or 9x4. Once broke in, one can go to a 9x5 prop. If your engine is a little tight, an 8x4 would allow it to spin up easier. Yes, the engine will get hot. This is normal. A sign that it is not broken in enough to mount on a plane is when needle is peaked to a good solid running 2 cycle, it slows down and is unable to maintain speed.

Oldenginerod wrote:I agree that the McCoys are the loudest engines I have ever run- man they bite. Affraid or WOW! Also, sounds like the temperature thing is typical because they end up a smoking sizzling mess at the end of any bench run. Rod.
I wear a set of hearing protector ear muffs when I run the engines and our neighborhood is on 1 acre lots each, houses are spaced 150 feet on center, so noise isn't a problem. Our covenant even allows us to have domestic farm animals if we desire. I don't know what I'd do with a couple goats, though. Wink

Regarding a smoking mess, even the Fox .35 stunt engine runs hot. Problem with bench running is the only cooling air is that provided by the prop. When the engine is allowed to unload in flight, there is more cooling air and the engine isn't working as hard to move the prop, so doesn't run as hot. Also, the cooling fins on the 1940's/1950's technology McCoys and old Fox stunts are smaller than on the more modern engines, so bench running hot is almost a given.

One interesting fact is that the .35 RH (7 oz.) is only 1 ounce heavier than the .19 RH (6 oz.). .35 RH puts out 0.6 HP at 12,500 RPM presumably on a 10x6 prop; .19 RH puts out 0.4 HP at 13,000 RPM presumably on a 9x4 or 9x5 prop.

An interesting comparison is the Thunder Tiger GP-15 CL (6.3 oz. w/muffler), which puts out 0.42 HP at 17,000 RPM presumably on an 8x4.5 or 8x5.5 prop. The McCoy .19 RH achieves similar horsepower with larger props at 4,000 RPM less.

A Thunder Tiger GP-25 CL (8.5 oz. w/muffler) puts out 0.6 HP at 15,000 RPM presumably on a 9x5.5 prop. The McCoy .35 RH achieves similar horsepower with larger prop at 2,500 RPM less. It is in the same class as the OS Max .25FP-S or OS Max .25LA-S.

Thus, it is understandable that planes which used the old tech .19 - .25 can be powered by a modern plain bearing sport Schneurle .15, and ones using old tech .35 - .40 can use a modern plain bearing sport Schneurle .20 - .25 engine. Hand Shake
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu May 07, 2015 8:35 am

The new fuel mix is really working out well , ran about 4 oz. through it at short rich runs right before breaking into a 2 stroke with cool down time between , engine temp. has came down a lot , I did wind it up once on the last run it really has a lot of thrust , I don't have an woody 8 " prop or other 9in. difft. pitch , it hasn't even acted like it want to back fire I think the A3 OS plug helps with that and the easy starting . bounce
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu May 07, 2015 9:17 am

getback wrote:The new fuel mix is really working out well , ran about 4 oz. through it at short rich runs right before breaking into a 2 stroke with cool down time between  , engine temp. has came down a  lot , I did wind it up once on the last run it really has a lot of thrust , I don't have an woody 8 " prop or other 9in. difft. pitch , it hasn't even acted like it want to back fire I think the A3 OS plug helps with that and the easy starting . bounce
Eric, I'm glad to hear that your engine is well on its way to being broken in. Similar to as I found out, a hot plug works wonders. As Chellie pointed out, if during flight you experience problems, a hot idle bar RC plug may help with run reliability. The metal bar across the plug opening helps to block oil droplets from cooling the heated plug element. So far I've found I don't need the RC plug yet.

What plane do you plan to mount your McCoy .19 on?

By the way, here is the download link to the McCoy .19 owner's manual in PDF:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7T9-FMCHtgJZGVoLWw5cENYSHM/view?usp=sharing
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu May 07, 2015 9:48 am

George Thanks for the manual , my next mid size bird will be the Akromaster but that is for 15 size so I am not sure got any suggestions ?
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down