Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

W/M SNJ - Hopeless adventure or worthwhile project Cox_ba12

W/M SNJ - Hopeless adventure or worthwhile project Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by Gordinir8 Today at 5:23 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by balogh Today at 1:10 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Yesterday at 8:20 pm

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by sosam117 Yesterday at 6:58 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Cox International Yesterday at 12:27 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

» On ebay a very special Cox engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 6:32 am

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by Admin Yesterday at 12:51 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

W/M SNJ - Hopeless adventure or worthwhile project Empty
Live on Patrol

W/M SNJ - Hopeless adventure or worthwhile project

Go down

W/M SNJ - Hopeless adventure or worthwhile project Empty W/M SNJ - Hopeless adventure or worthwhile project

Post  rsv1cox Sun May 10, 2015 2:46 pm

After dumping about 12 hours into this shoulda been consigned to the dump project it better be worthwhile, one or two flights as a reward maybe.

W/M SNJ - Hopeless adventure or worthwhile project SNJ%20Falcon%20015_zpsccdauaou

I got the sized engine to running after a bit of a fight and sand blasted the airframe to remove the existing flaking silver to some success, but those decals come off hard. Sandblasting doesn't do it although it did remove the surface paper which made it easier to peel off the backing followed by another session of blasting. Still didn't get all of the adhesive.

W/M SNJ - Hopeless adventure or worthwhile project SNJ%20sand%20003_zpst8cpym9i

I had to build up the missing tail section from balsa using the other SNJ's tail as a template. The control horn which is located inside the fuselage still needs to be attached to the elevator. I am guessing that the balsa replacement parts will weigh about as much as the plastic originals so the CG should remain the same.

If nothing else it will show me if rattle can paint will stick.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

W/M SNJ - Hopeless adventure or worthwhile project Empty Re: W/M SNJ - Hopeless adventure or worthwhile project

Post  Cribbs74 Sun May 10, 2015 4:13 pm

I think it looks pretty darn good Bob.

They make specific spray paint for plastic.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

W/M SNJ - Hopeless adventure or worthwhile project Empty Re: W/M SNJ - Hopeless adventure or worthwhile project

Post  NEW222 Sun May 10, 2015 4:13 pm

Looks like a great start to a restoration. She will be proud of you and what you are doing to her, she will just fly off the table for you. Hey, wait, I think I see her smiling for the picture.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  stuntflyr Sun May 10, 2015 4:34 pm

Love that Wen Mac T-6, so cool.
I replace missing plastic parts with styrene stock from the hobby shop. The railroaders use it a lot, keeps the plastic models all plastic.
Chris...
stuntflyr
stuntflyr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun May 10, 2015 4:55 pm

Yes, those big old radial cowls sure give a smile don't they!

I thought about using plastic Chris, but I had a lot of balsa on hand, and I didn't know how to deal with the faring that the vertical stab fits into if using plastic.  I will probably re-enforce the horizontal stab with some basswood on the underside.

I would love to paint it like this:

W/M SNJ - Hopeless adventure or worthwhile project SNJ%20color_zpswk7mklgg

Still might, but it's complicated (for me at least) and I'm not sure that it's worth the effort on this busted up example at least. But it sure would look nice. But probably silver it will be.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon May 11, 2015 3:46 pm

Well, I like that paint scheme so much I decided to go with it.  But first I had to repair the broken off nipple on the fuel tank, common problem on these old plastic models.  I found the perfect sized drill bit, just right so it took some force to seat it in the tank, then I filled the reservoir around it with epoxy.

W/M SNJ - Hopeless adventure or worthwhile project SNJ%20paint%20002_zps6ng4ofo9

Started with metallic paint on the fuselage.  Of course it's hot and humid here today and it flashed.  Cooler and drier weather forecast in a couple of days, so will final coat it then.  Next comes yellow on the wings and flat black on the walkways and top of fuselage forward of the cockpit.  

W/M SNJ - Hopeless adventure or worthwhile project SNJ%20paint%20003_zpsbv6pdxqc

Sandblasted the cowl and dome and painted with Krylon red which didn't flash.  I will assemble the tail section and paint off the plane then assemble.  Thinking about over spraying the whole thing with Top Flight Lustercoat when I'm finished.  

W/M SNJ - Hopeless adventure or worthwhile project SNJ%20paint%20014_zpstbtu5qk8
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  akjgardner Mon May 11, 2015 4:36 pm

can't wait to see that finished
akjgardner
akjgardner
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue May 12, 2015 7:41 am

BoB that's looking fantastic , nice rebuild Smoking
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri May 15, 2015 5:21 pm

Made some progress on the plastic W/M SNJ.  I'm never happy with cloth hinges especially when you can't glue them down with dope.  

W/M SNJ - Hopeless adventure or worthwhile project SNJ%20paint%20001_zpsxb3zdt3v

This model was painted with rattle can rustoleum metallic, Krylon semi gloss black, yellow, and red.  The Krylon seems to apply much better although we had huge amounts of pollen floating in the air that didn't help with either paint.  

We all do it - test fit supposedly.  But I think we all just want an early look on how it's going to look.

W/M SNJ - Hopeless adventure or worthwhile project SNJ%20paint%20002_zpstdxjxxyn

Mostly finished, just have to slide on the decals, attach some strings and see if this lead sled will ROG.  

W/M SNJ - Hopeless adventure or worthwhile project SNJ%20stripes%20008_zpsmyn0z8vl

W/M SNJ - Hopeless adventure or worthwhile project SNJ%20stripes%20010_zpsnsep4mjj

Repaired - Cracks at both wing roots
Constructed an entire tail section.
Sandblasted "chrome" finish from airframe
Rebuilt engine
Replaced the nipple on the fuel tank
Found and replaced an original tail wheel
Constructed a missing control rod
Constructed a replacement wheel pant
and probably a few more things that I have gladly forgotten....
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  stuntflyr Fri May 15, 2015 9:13 pm

That looks great!
Chris...
stuntflyr
stuntflyr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Fri May 15, 2015 10:34 pm

jezz, almost too nice to fly, lol, it would be neat to see video of it going round!
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Fri May 15, 2015 11:23 pm

Nice! Your restoration looks better to me than the original Smile
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  akjgardner Sat May 16, 2015 5:14 am

Looking good. Nice job,I like the color scheme,Saw..........wheat
akjgardner
akjgardner
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat May 16, 2015 4:24 pm

Thanks for all of your comments.

I added the wing insignias this morning.  The cut out and peel type as opposed to the wet and slide off’s.  I’m not sure which I like better, both have their merits.  Also cut out some white pieces to simulate the landing lights as shown in the example picture.  I also printed them out on decal paper.  

W/M SNJ - Hopeless adventure or worthwhile project MGA%20SNJ%20Engines%20props%20021_zps8knii3lr

I decided not to use the NAVY decals, just too much on the fuselage but I would like to add the number 9’s just not to the cowl as they appear to be to large.  The tail maybe.  

Not completely done, but close.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  stuntflyr Sat May 16, 2015 10:17 pm

The 9 just ahead of the fuselage stripe would look good. The model looks nice with the stickers.
Chris...
stuntflyr
stuntflyr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun May 17, 2015 8:22 am

WOW Good Job Man !!! Thumbs Up
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Sun May 17, 2015 9:43 pm

Whew. thats a lottawork, but it sure looks great. I know I'd like to see a flight video, but fully understand if you just want to make it a "Hanger Queen" by hangin' it from the ceiling!! Very nice work. Flying
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon May 18, 2015 6:08 am

Thanks all.

How may half empty rattle can paints do you have in your workshop? If your like me, plenty.

I just couldn't see buying four more cans of plastic specific paints for this project as I already had all of the colors necessary on the shelf. So far, it looks ok but maybe next week they will all begin to peel. The Krylon red, yellow, and semi gloss black all applied great, but the rusteloum metalic "silver" tended to flash and give an uneven finish.

I decided to mount an identical in all respects Testor's engine rather than the original Wen Mac .049 as the Testors seems to run better. But I'm fooling with the W/M to improve performance and will probably remount it some time in the future.

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Mon May 18, 2015 11:33 am

Looking good. That is definitely more work than I would have done, and the rewards have paid off.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  chevyiron420 Mon May 18, 2015 2:28 pm

rsv1cox wrote:Thanks all.

How may half empty rattle can paints do you have in your workshop?  If your like me, plenty.

I just couldn't see buying four more cans of plastic specific paints for this project as I already had all of the colors necessary on the shelf.  So far, it looks ok but maybe next week they will all begin to peel.  The Krylon red, yellow, and semi gloss black all applied great, but the rusteloum metalic "silver" tended to flash and give an uneven finish.  

I decided to mount an identical in all respects Testor's engine rather than the original Wen Mac .049 as the Testors seems to run better.  But I'm fooling with the W/M to improve performance and will probably remount it some time in the future.  

You may want to change out the prop for flying, I have had very poor results with them. They seem to load the engine and yield little thrust.
On the performance I have found the same thing, the testors seem to have a performance edge for some reason. Your wen mac probably has the early glow head and will enjoy a change to the testors style with the aluminium gasket.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X67pikIKj14
Check out the video, my results were similar but my rpm readings were higher. I am still working with the drop in plugs though and have to drop my nitro down to 10% with them.
Phil
chevyiron420
chevyiron420
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down