Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

The RMH Bipe build thread - Page 3 Cox_ba12

The RMH Bipe build thread - Page 3 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Cox powered boat litle shrimp hidroplane
by davidll1984 Today at 2:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Today at 1:39 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Today at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by Yabby Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

The RMH Bipe build thread - Page 3 Empty
Live on Patrol

The RMH Bipe build thread

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

The RMH Bipe build thread - Page 3 Empty Re: The RMH Bipe build thread

Post  getback Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:29 pm

U know I like colors , and have this problem staying with just 2 ... Here is were I am at now  The RMH Bipe build thread - Page 3 00210  Thanks for the stincle Roger I can use it a few times now  The RMH Bipe build thread - Page 3 00310  now the wing is a difft. story  The RMH Bipe build thread - Page 3 00510  wish I would have measured it before painting  The RMH Bipe build thread - Page 3 00610 Maybee I will fix it !?!? Huh... Eric Very Happy
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:52 am

Bump this up a bit to keep you Bipe builders on your toes. Smile Anything happening out there in Bipe ville?

I finally got the black Babe Bee tank from Cox Int. and installed it on my Black Widow. Still have the original runner as a spare. When I get up the courage I will fly it.

The RMH Bipe build thread - Page 3 Bipe_m14

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:26 am

rsv1cox wrote:Bump this up a bit to keep you Bipe builders on your toes.  Smile  Anything happening out there in Bipe ville?

I finally got the black Babe Bee tank from Cox Int. and installed it on my Black Widow.  Still have the original runner as a spare.  When I get up the courage I will fly it.  

The RMH Bipe build thread - Page 3 Bipe_m14

Bob
Bob. That appears to be an unvented tank on an unvented backplate, or am I seeing it wrong?

Rod.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:14 am

Embarassed Darn Rod, thanks for keeping me straight. I must be blind. I simply used the back plate off the Black Widow forgetting about the vent. It would have been embarrassing lugging all the stuff out to the field, then trying to fill the tank.....

Fixed it in a hurry.

The RMH Bipe build thread - Page 3 Bipe_v10
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:15 am

Damn this is FUN !! Maybe its pre fueled Rod lol! , I have done that on a engine build before just looked at it looked at self and laughed . Eric ( like that tank )
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

The RMH Bipe build thread - Page 3 Empty Gotta get busy to make the flyathon in time

Post  fredvon4 Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:02 pm

I started about a week ago and I suck at build thread and photo documentation* so this is just so folks know I really built one to log some RM flyathon flights

The RMH Bipe build thread - Page 3 Rh_rin10

Very thin CF veil for fuselage sides
Center under LG and firewall is 1/64th Ply for reinforcing on rudder and Stab/Elev
Kevlar hinge thread was replace by carbon rod and tube

The RMH Bipe build thread - Page 3 Rh_bip10

No rudder offset. I use the 1/64th and taper sand to blend and make thinner

The RMH Bipe build thread - Page 3 Rh_bip11

I was going to sew hinges but remembered I got this rod and tube for a few 1/2A combat birds and thought what the hell

The RMH Bipe build thread - Page 3 Hing_c10

If you try this method, you must have some tube on stab and some on elevator, I used 4  2" pieces of tube
I install all at once with rod installed to keep alignment...You must use medium or thick CA to tack in place....thin CA wicks too fast and locks everything together (CA de-bonder to the rescue!)

All Balsa got sanded  220, 320, 400, round LE taper TE and two coats of Sig sanding sealer

If this works it should be my first ever Balsa plane with NO grain pattern in the paint

Probably all Dope Black, Red tail, red trim and flames

I also plan to use .037 carbon rod X fore and aft and X in and out (sort of like wire rope stringers) for top wing support of the center instead of the included Ply braces

My guess is, no matter what method, a crash means the big top wing breaks loose. This is just an experiment and for looks

* I still have no clue how to set my Galaxy S5 so the camera will focus on what I want it to
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:12 pm

Fred, I like your elevator hinge idea and color scheme. Also the carbon rod struts. I'm eager to see the finished product.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:52 am

Looking Good Fred , why the carbon fiber ? I like the tube /rod set up for the elev./stab , I see a .051 and bladder in the pic there Hold On to your Britches ! I need to get back on mine sew up some hinges and figure what engine mount I will use Popcorn getback
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:57 am

Getback asked "why the carbon fiber?"

On many of my combat planes the carbon veil put down with thinned white glue makes some structures much stronger with very little weight penalty. I use it in a lot of places we traditionally used tissue or lite glass fabric.

In this case the fuselage got it on both sides and tucked inside the wing and stab slots, likely breakage points in a crash. The stuff is extremely strong in tension (little compression value) and is a lot lighter than if I skinned the fuse in lite 1/64 ply or cross grain balsa

If you are asking about the carbon rod for the center wing bracing, it is mostly an experiment to see if I can simulate wire rope tension cables like on a real bi-plane. I got 2 3 foot long .037 rods by mistake on a rod and tube order and this looks like about the only place I can use some of it up.

I have been using tube and pin/rod hinges for combat planes so long now it is simply the fastest and easiest method to create a friction free and fairly good looking hinge

The RMH Bipe build thread - Page 3 Ring_b10

Next to the Cox Medallion is one of Texas Timers screw in the crank case radial mounts. All my TD and Medallions I collected were .051s. I only found a few .051 Cyl/Piston sets, mostly used ones. Later I got a bunch of Bernie's TD .049 assys and fount that they are just as powerful as the .051 setup. So I set aside the .051s for the future when I am less likely to have to dig a engine out of the dirt.

I plan to feed this with a red cap low pressure fuel system in a open backed aluminum cigar tube on the lower wing
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

The RMH Bipe build thread - Page 3 Empty Some progress

Post  fredvon4 Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:32 pm

Unless it is way too tail heavy this is the engine planed with red cap fuel delivery to a stock NVA,,,
I have ran it a few times with the red cap and the lower pressure is letting me needle just fine

The RMH Bipe build thread - Page 3 049_me10

Side view
The RMH Bipe build thread - Page 3 Rh_rm_10

Around the shop ...Braapppp, Braaaapppp
The RMH Bipe build thread - Page 3 Shop_s10

Strut out of .037 carbon rod detail..... fore and aft still a little movement but side to side is tight
The RMH Bipe build thread - Page 3 Carbon10

Came in at 4.0 Oz with out engine...OK I hope. Should be about 6 Oz all up weight
The RMH Bipe build thread - Page 3 4-0z_n11

Planning a maiden flight this week and flights by son and myself for RM Fly-A Thon this coming weekend 3&4 Oct
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

The RMH Bipe build thread - Page 3 Empty so much for my dope finish skills

Post  fredvon4 Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:36 pm

Above I said :All Balsa got sanded  220, 320, 400, round LE taper TE and two coats of Sig sanding sealer

If this works it should be my first ever Balsa plane with NO grain pattern in the paint"

Well it is OK from a distance but up close I have a LOT of training to do..still a bunch of wood grain and sanding scratches showing
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:44 pm

Well, the barn-stormer Fred. Love it, right out of the 30's.

Great color scheme and finish. The carbon rods are innovative and look very nice, affords great pilot visibility.

On my Nieuport 28 I strung guy wires between the struts using olive drab left over WW2 parachute thread. I drilled small homes in the struts, secured one end with CA then pulled the other end through and when taunt, CA's that end. I have been thinking about doing the same on my Bipe.

Glad to see this thread active again.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

The RMH Bipe build thread - Page 3 Empty beautiful

Post  happydad Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:02 pm

fredvon4 wrote:Unless it is way too tail heavy this is the engine planed with red cap fuel delivery to a stock NVA,,,
I have ran it a few times with the red cap and the lower pressure is letting me needle just fine

The RMH Bipe build thread - Page 3 049_me10

Side view
The RMH Bipe build thread - Page 3 Rh_rm_10

Around the shop ...Braapppp, Braaaapppp
The RMH Bipe build thread - Page 3 Shop_s10

Strut out of .037 carbon rod detail..... fore and aft still a little movement but side to side is tight
The RMH Bipe build thread - Page 3 Carbon10

Came in at 4.0 Oz with out engine...OK I hope. Should be about 6 Oz all up weight
The RMH Bipe build thread - Page 3 4-0z_n11

Planning a maiden flight this week and flights by son and myself for RM Fly-A Thon this coming weekend 3&4 Oct

Beautiful biplane. You really put a lot of work into the details. +1. I'm doing good if the plane gets fuel proofed and paint any color at all.
   p.s. where did your avatar come from? When I was in the USAF some of the F-105's and F4's were called Wild Weasel because of our extra ECM gear on them. I got to sit in one when I went to ECM school in Okinawa. I also got to see, hear and feel the Blackbird, SR-71, take off in the distance of course. It was very hush, hush in the late 1960's. Very noisy, fast, beautiful plane.
   p.s.p.s. how does the Medallion do with a triprop?

Happydad RC Plane
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

The RMH Bipe build thread - Page 3 Empty Wild Weasel

Post  fredvon4 Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:07 am

HappyDad
As a child I was Army dependent and one tour of my father's was to Taichung Taiwan (Formosa) where we co-existed on a housing compound with AF folks. They were mostly from the 50Th Red Devil Squadron F104s.... One Pilot/Crew was posted there from some other squadron and had the ECM variant (Anti SAM) F4 with a Wild Weasel logo I think like this

The RMH Bipe build thread - Page 3 Thumb_10

Of interest:

The RMH Bipe build thread - Page 3 27328810

My avatar was taken from a model engine and airplane link that I have long forgotten where and I photo shopped out the rest of the image. When I first saw the logo, I was reminded of the time on Taiwan and my first military Jet ride in an F-104 trainer flown by my boy scout troop leader Col Dick Sierka and seeing the Phantom blow much black smoke on take off while we waited our turn on the run way.

I was 12 years old but large(Tall) for my age so they found a flight suit and helmet that fit me. Later, at a scout meeting the F4 pilot told us how he and the F-104s would ingress across the border and he would spoof Sam sites with his special ECM so the F-104s could do their thing unmolested. Funny, thinking back on that, because while he did not say how the ECM did it's thing, he did not seem to be concerned with Op Sec talking to children and parents about what they did and how from Taiwan to Viet-Nam

I had similar experiences when the USS Coral Sea or USS Enterprise came to Taiwan for fuel and ammo reload. Our scout troop got to tour each of them at Kaoshung (sp?) harbor a little south of us. We got similar "briefings" about their South China Sea mission..

Being an Army brat overseas in the late 50s, 60s, and early 70s was interesting a great learning experience culturally and militarily.

Medallion and three blade prop (5D 3P) will get tried but I suspect I will fly it with the Bernie's Yellow two blade(5D 3P) cut down a tad 4.75" as they turn up the rpm better.

That said I have flown several 1/2a planes with the three blade on the nose (I had quite a few of them) and they pulled the planes like Sig skyray or JR Satan just fine on the nose of a Reed, TD, or Medallion .049.... The Three blade looks better on some models I think
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

The RMH Bipe build thread - Page 3 Empty way cool

Post  happydad Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:24 pm

fredvon4 wrote:HappyDad
As a child I was Army dependent and one tour of my father's was to Taichung Taiwan (Formosa) where we co-existed on a housing compound with AF folks. They were mostly from the 50Th Red Devil Squadron F104s.... One Pilot/Crew was posted there from some other squadron and had the ECM variant (Anti SAM) F4 with a Wild Weasel logo I think like this

The RMH Bipe build thread - Page 3 Thumb_10

Of interest:

The RMH Bipe build thread - Page 3 27328810

My avatar was taken from a model engine and airplane link that I have long forgotten where and I photo shopped out the rest of the image. When I first saw the logo, I was reminded of the time on Taiwan and my first military Jet ride in an F-104 trainer flown by my boy scout troop leader Col Dick Sierka and seeing the Phantom blow much black smoke on take off while we waited our turn on the run way.

I was 12 years old but large(Tall) for my age so they found a flight suit and helmet that fit me. Later, at a scout meeting the F4 pilot told us how he and the F-104s would ingress across the border and he would spoof Sam sites with his special ECM so the F-104s could do their thing unmolested. Funny, thinking back on that, because while he did not say how the ECM did it's thing, he did not seem to be concerned with Op Sec talking to children and parents about what they did and how from Taiwan to Viet-Nam

I had similar experiences when the USS Coral Sea or USS Enterprise came to Taiwan for fuel and ammo reload. Our scout troop got to tour each of them at Kaoshung (sp?) harbor a little south of us. We got similar "briefings" about their South China Sea mission..

Being an Army brat overseas in the late 50s, 60s, and early 70s was interesting a great learning experience culturally and militarily.

Medallion and three blade prop (5D 3P) will get tried but I suspect I will fly it with the Bernie's Yellow two blade(5D 3P) cut down a tad 4.75" as they turn up the rpm better.

That said I have flown several 1/2a planes with the three blade on the nose (I had quite a few of them) and they pulled the planes like Sig skyray or JR Satan just fine on the nose of a Reed, TD, or Medallion .049.... The Three blade looks better on some models I think

Dude, how cool. When I was in Japan I was scheduled for a backseat flight in the F4-D while things were slow. Then the USS Pueblo was captured off South Korea and several of us were reassigned to South Korea, Osan Air Base I think, and the rest is history. While in Japan our EB-57-B,C flew to Taichung, Taiwan to test the Taiwan Air Force, or Self Defence Force, against foreign aircraft infiltration. I think they were flying F102's at the time and didn't have a very good radar or anti-jamming system so we had a good trip. When we went to Hawaii a couple of months later the F102 had a new radar and anti-jamming system and the EB-57's had a bad trip and my partner and I were changing ECM equipment out 2x a day so the ECM pilot would look good, but the new F102 radar was so good the antiquated jamming ECM we were using didn't stand a chance. The ECM officer was furious at us and it wasn't our fault. We were on the phone daily o Japan for help. The EB57 ECM equipment had been checked out before it left Japan and was found in perfect operation. But we were still at fault. When the planes left for Japan the ECM gear was removed and a large fuel tank was put in it's place. The planes flew home and I had to be the classified cargo courier for the cargo back to Japan. STOP, no plane available to go to Japan for 5 days. I had to sit in a waiting area next to a phone waiting for THE phone call to catch a special cargo plane, C119, large enough to carry me and my cargo back to Japan. I'M IN HAWAII.
Well 5 days of torture later I get the call. Off to Japan. I arrive in Japan at midnight at a base 20 miles from Yakota AFB and no one in site AND IT IS SNOWING. I just came from Hawaii, short sleeves, no jacket. I find a driver who will take me to Yakota AFB and off we go. We arrive at Yakota and try to deliver the classified cargo to the flight line where I work and there is no one in site and 6 inchs of snow on the ground. I just came from Hawaii. So I try to find my shop and the duty NCO, non commissioned officer who is supposed to be on duty in the shop at all times. No one there. So I look for the OD, Officer of the Day, the Officer of the entire building who is supposed to be in an office 24 hours a day. No one home. So I call the NCO club and ask for ECM shop duty NCO, no one responds. I have classified cargo I am supposed to transfer responsibility to someone else after my 2000 mile trip in a airplane without altitude compensation. I.m tired sick of the snow and freezing, and no one is here. So I go to my tiny little cubicle in the barracks about 200 yards away. When I wake up I have pneumonia, the flu and everything else, but I report for duty, and I get put on report for not transferring ownership of classified cargo. That was all I could take. I asked the CMSGT, Chief Master Sargent, our superior if I could talk to him in his office. WE talked for about 10 seconds, and he told me to go see the medic and then go home. And he would find out why the NCO and the OD were not on duty last night. He never told me, but I was sick for 2 weeks and missed a trip to the Philippines with the EB57's.

Thanks for your interesting story.

Now that's how to hijack a thread.

happydad RC Plane
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:12 pm

Thread hijacking is tolerated here and I am quite guilty on occasion

HappyDad...I am 10 years your junior but have several very similar SNAFU stories

Probably best for another topic and or hijack later...grin

In fact here on CEF we have several veterans with interesting stories to tell

All my army brat youth, no matter where we were stationed, there was somebody doing model airplanes, or cars or rockets or working boats...I had a lot of mentors
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

The RMH Bipe build thread - Page 3 Empty i wasn't a military brat, but...

Post  happydad Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:46 pm

fredvon4 wrote:Thread hijacking is tolerated here and I am quite guilty on occasion

HappyDad...I am 10 years your junior but have several very similar SNAFU stories

Probably best for another topic and or hijack later...grin

In fact here on CEF we have several veterans with interesting stories to tell

All my army brat youth, no matter where we were stationed, there was somebody doing model airplanes, or cars or rockets or working boats...I had a lot of mentors

Fredvon4: I wasn't a military brat, but my dad worked at Consolidated Vultee, which became General Dynamics, Convair later and he built the bombers for WW2, then later worked on all kinds of special aircraft that GD developed for NASA and General Dynamics. He did sheet metal work on the first aircraft to break the sound barrier, the XF-1 and other aircraft for General Dynamics that never made it to production such as the pogo stick, XFY-1, and the Sea Dart, XFY-2.

The RMH Bipe build thread - Page 3 Convai10
Pogo Stick

The RMH Bipe build thread - Page 3 Sea-da10
Sea Dart

General Dynamics Convair lost several good pilots trying to make these 2 planes work, but the planes failed not the pilots.

enjoy

happydad  RC Plane
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:08 pm

DAmn i'll finish reading that tomorrow , I don't want to say that ya'll have done it and seen it yet ... Nice looing plane Fred ! I like the scheme and should fly great at 6 gm. and a Medallion, I was taking a break from the Zero and have to getback now . Eric Very Happy
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

The RMH Bipe build thread - Page 3 Empty Back to the RH laser RM Bipe kit

Post  fredvon4 Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:06 pm

I love wood props especially for old style aircraft

I sharp eye will see the copper I pinched over the wheel struts to add a bit of weight and get CG further forward. Now about 3/8" back from LE of top wing
The RMH Bipe build thread - Page 3 20150911

This photo reminded me to take a sharpie to the RH wheels where I did not get off all the silver used to fill in the lettering
The RMH Bipe build thread - Page 3 20150912

If the wood prop is too light to make the Medallion happy I have a good selection here to play with
The RMH Bipe build thread - Page 3 20150913

This photo shows why you can not brush silver. When I sprayed the part it was beautiful but masking and dorking around I made scratches and blemishes....Tried brushing the silver over the bad areas and once dry it sucks
The RMH Bipe build thread - Page 3 20150914

Well folks this is the kit from Roger Harris and all in all I really enjoyed building it. I want one more to build and finish better .... never to fly but to hang above my growing flight deck

In the back ground you may see a Demon under construction...going to start another thread about what this summer has been like with my shift from competition combat to concentrating on old skool combat and stunt aircraft
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  cox24711 Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:49 pm

fredvon4 wrote:I love wood props especially for old style aircraft

I sharp eye will see the copper I pinched over the wheel struts to add a bit of weight and get CG further forward. Now about 3/8" back from LE of top wing
The RMH Bipe build thread - Page 3 20150911

This photo reminded me to take a sharpie to the RH wheels where I did not get off all the silver used to fill in the lettering
The RMH Bipe build thread - Page 3 20150912

If the wood prop is too light to make the Medallion happy I have a good selection here to play with
The RMH Bipe build thread - Page 3 20150913

This photo shows why you can not brush silver. When I sprayed the part it was beautiful but masking and dorking around I made scratches and blemishes....Tried brushing the silver over the bad areas and once dry it sucks
The RMH Bipe build thread - Page 3 20150914

Well folks this is the kit from Roger Harris and all in all I really enjoyed building it. I want one more to build and finish better .... never to fly but to hang above my growing flight deck

In the back ground you may see a Demon under construction...going to start another thread about what this summer has been like with my shift from competition combat to concentrating on old skool combat and stunt aircraft

THAT LOOKS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ps my great great uncles was a taill gunner on a wellington bomber and the other was a navigator of a landcast they were british an emigrated to canada and then came back to england to help out in the war and they both died on the same night in 1943 the wellington was shot down over the channel the whole crew died and the lancaster was shot down by a yellow nose fw 190 ace over France and my great uncle was the last to get out but he was too late and the port wing folded and he got crushed... his name was bruce and the other was john and my grandad was then named after bruce
cox24711
cox24711
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:40 pm

See---- even our youngster from down under has interesting history to add.

Thanks for sharing Greg

My experience is all of us little boys at some time or another dreamed of flying, or racing cars, or building a bad ass boat and sailing around the world. Many of us had some acquaintance or ancestor that did those things. Ohter of us reead about such adventures in comic books or on the real world news. Some of us followed the dreams to some extent and other wise found MODELING a great compromise and very fulfilling

I have flown several times in Stearman bi-planes (crop dusters) mostly as passenger and a few times being coached through basic maneuvers. Alas I only ever could afford to own a Ultra Light and that short lived as I was sent to Germany and had to store it to the point of deterioration of all the covering

Too old now to build or buy a real biplane-- but that is where my dreams take me....this Roger Harris Bipe was as much fun to stare at and dream as it was to build and finish
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

The RMH Bipe build thread - Page 3 Empty hey, why are you too old

Post  happydad Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:06 pm

fredvon4 wrote:See---- even our youngster from down under has interesting history to add.

Thanks for sharing Greg

My experience is all of us little boys at some time or another dreamed of flying, or racing cars, or building a bad ass boat and sailing around the world. Many of us had some acquaintance or ancestor that did those things. Ohter of us reead about such adventures in comic books or on the real world news. Some of us followed the dreams to some extent and other wise found MODELING a great compromise and very fulfilling

I have flown several times in Stearman bi-planes (crop dusters) mostly as passenger and a few times being coached through basic maneuvers. Alas I only ever could afford to own a Ultra Light and that short lived as I was sent to Germany and had to store it to the point of deterioration of all the covering

Too old now to build or buy a real biplane-- but that is where my dreams take me....this Roger Harris Bipe was as much fun to stare at and dream as it was to build and finish

Too old for what? you have got to be kidding me. I'm 70 and my goal this year was to surf with my daughter, but my hip interfered and the other one is just as bad, let alone my right knee. My new goal is to body surf this year with the grand kids. They live near the water and the ocean and go almost every weekend because the water has been as warm as 76 degrees F. here in the shallower waters. Like La Jolla and even in some parts of Carlsbad.

happy happydad RC Plane Blow up Mad! Blow up Mad!
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:06 pm

fredvon4 wrote:See---- even our youngster from down under has interesting history to add.

Thanks for sharing Greg

Reading the above really hit home with me. There's something about a biplane that's extra appealing to me. The excitement of "wind in the wires".. flying! A wood prop.. tail-dragger. I have some really great VHS tapes of the early days of U.S. Air Mail.. Dare-Devil "Wing-Walking".. golden age of aviation. I'd highly recommend watching if you can find them.

I built (1992) a 1/2A profile bipe using tracings of the top and bottom wings of a Sterling 1" scale Dr1 kit E2. They're solid slab-wings of 1/8" (3mm) balsa. The fuse is a 1/4" balsa profile of the Sterling kit's fuse. The tail-feathers are tracings as well.. made from 1/8" sheet. I balanced it for a Babe Bee.. and it became my utility plane. It towed banners.. and was a test-bed for different props. The Babe Bee was bone-stock.. and I used Sig Champion "25" for fuel. The landing gear was tall enough to fit up to an 8" prop. I once bushed the hub of a wood J. Zinger 8 x 3.. and the Babe Bee actually achieved a 2-stroke firing. The sound was more in line with a scale exhaust note. I used to fly it on 25-26 foot lines in my side yard. I later swapped-out the Babe Bee for a Prod. Engine (horseshoe back-plate) and 10cc wedge-tank. The reedies draw fuel pretty reliably. This airplane however.. was too heavy for aerobatics. A Tee Dee (I have two now..) might wake-up the design.

The RMH Bipe build thread - Page 3 Rog_cu10
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:53 am

Roddie, You have shown that plane a couple of times and I always wanted to copy it. I may get Roger to cut me a few more RM Bipes and kit bash one to look like your wing design and profile.

Well folks Ringmaster Fly- A- Thon is fast approaching and I see only 4 of the Roger Harris beginner Bipe builds in this thread

I would have to go back, but I thought about 7 or 8 of us CEFers ordered the kits

Would love to see how others built and finished theirs

I will ask in a PM to Roger if he has time to cut a few more RH RM Bipe kits. It occurs to me he has not posted in a bit or at least I haven't noticed any thing from him here in about a month
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rogermharris Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:39 am

WOW fred!! it came out really cool! love the color scheme. it should really move with that engine. i could do a scalloped version of the wing. i love that one too roddie!

Fred i have not been on much. i have been stopping by for a quick look around now and then. been so busy i have not even had a change to repair my planes from my last outing mid july... i am going to do my best to make repairs this week and get out for the fly-a-thon we have unsettled weather forecast for most of the week so hopefully that changes.

killing me not being able to devote some time to the hobby the last few weeks...
rogermharris
rogermharris
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next