Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Enya .35 #5224 and OS MAX-S .35 Cox_ba12

Enya .35 #5224 and OS MAX-S .35 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Today at 9:32 pm

» Elfin 0.5cc (Arnie Hende replica)
by dan vincent Today at 9:18 pm

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by layback209 Today at 9:10 pm

» Anderson Baby Spitfire - looking for the aft tank and gasket
by Boats13 Today at 8:18 pm

» Fuel residue stain clening help
by akjgardner Today at 7:53 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Today at 7:00 pm

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by sosam117 Today at 5:55 pm

» Cox powered boat litle shrimp hidroplane
by davidll1984 Today at 2:52 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Today at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Enya .35 #5224 and OS MAX-S .35 Empty
Live on Patrol

Enya .35 #5224 and OS MAX-S .35

Go down

Enya .35 #5224 and OS MAX-S .35 Empty Enya .35 #5224 and OS MAX-S .35

Post  RknRusty Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:44 pm

I just sat down to post a picture and questions about my Enya .35 #5224, and found Larry's thread about the 5225. Most of my questions are probably answered in there, but I need to take time to go back and read it. Anyway, here's a picture of mine.
Enya .35 #5224 and OS MAX-S .35 Enya_310

It has been on my shelf since it was given to me in 2013, along with my OSfp .35 and .40. It looks used on the outside but feels perfect to flip over with a prop. The compression seems strong.

I'm planning to put it into service. I outfitted my Shoestring/TT.25 Pro with a bladder, thinking the ST NV was a fine thread. I should have checked first, but I roughly estimate it has 56 tpi, so no bladder. And the Enya is the only engine in my stock that fits the bolt pattern. The .25fp ain't even close. Until I can get an OS#1 NV for the bladder on the TT, I'll use the Enya on a Uniflow tank. So I'd like to ask:

Is this too much power for a 32 ounce Shoestring? (I think not)
In Larry's Enya .29 thread, Ken says some Enyas are timed poorly for a stunt run, but I can use a flat prop and 2 stroke it if necessary. I would like to have this as a backup pattern plane for the Profile event at contests. Heck, I flew my profile(unplanned) in PAMPA last month. I want it for sport flying too.

How is the fuel economy? The SS is tight in the tank area and a 3oz is all I've been able to fit, but a balloon might offer more capacity in the same space.

What is that slotted screw on the bottom of the crankcase?

What era is this engine a product of?

Thanks for any input,
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Enya .35 #5224 and OS MAX-S .35 Empty Re: Enya .35 #5224 and OS MAX-S .35

Post  Jason_WI Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:53 pm

I believe the bottom screw was for a pressure port to pressurize the fuel tanks.
Jason_WI
Jason_WI
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:10 pm

Thanks, Jason
I thought of another question. There is a dimple on each side of the exhaust port. At first I thought it was broken off screws in it, but they seem too small. Are they dimples for aligning a strap-on muffler made to fit this engine? And are those mufflers easy to find? I can improvise if I have to. I bet Eric Rule could(would?) make one for me, and maybe I should ask my club friend, Bob Zambelli. He seems to be able to make about anything.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:57 pm

Rusty,

It won't overpower your SS. I have a .29 5224 in a Bi-Slob and it 4-2's very well. My .29 which has the same case as your .35 has a factory strap on muffler for it. It's heavy and restrictive so don't bother.

It will run on a standard vent just fine.

All the mid to late 60's M.A.N magazines I have are adorned with copius amounts of Enya adverts.

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:32 am

Rusty, Ken Enya mentioned to me that my 5224 .35 was exactly the same porting etc for R/C & C/L.  This engine is often referred to as the ".35 Stunt".  I'm not sure if that is just a carry-over of people's referrence to the Fox .35 stunt.
Jason is correct in that the brass screw is indeed for a pressure tapping.  The original muffler is likely still available.  It is very effective but I can't vouch for its in-air performance.  I'm not sure about the dimples.  The original mufflr doesn't use them for anything.  The strap doesn't actually contact the case except for a small ledge behind the exhaust port on either side, thus preserving the "ENYA" logo.  
The engine has 3 different size venturis available.  I guess it would depend on how you were flying as to which one you'd use.  I got a venturi & NVA for mine direct from Enya and the only one they had was the middle size one.  I'm not sure if they'd still have any parts, but a couple of years ago they reproduced the exact engine for sale & I think it was in C/L configuration only.  They did a limited run & they sold like hot-cakes.  When I think about it, I do believe they referred to it as a stunt engine in their advertizing.  
It's interesting that this engine was reproduced rather than the later type with the round venturi. Huh...

Rod.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  larrys4227 Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:59 am

Cool that this popped up ... just last night I was looking at my Enya .29 and it seems the only plane it will fit without major mount work is my Flight Streak. The plane has a longer fuse and larger tail feathers ... and surely alittle over weight for a typical Streak.

It could be a good fit for these two.

In the mail, I recv'd a venturi and ST NVA from Jim Lee .... the circular opening on the engine is the same as the .35 (.474). .265 is the venturi opening

On the way, is the Enya 29-35 Big Art Tongue muffler on the Brodak website. Alittle pricey in my estimation, but I simply can't use that bulky strap-on without reworking the landing gear for more height.

Theres also been talk over on the other forum to drill out the dimples on each side of the cylinder to 4-40 .... someone mentioned that the stock 25FP muffler fits. I'll try the tongue muffler first before going to those lengths.
larrys4227
larrys4227
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:10 am

I like the idea of adapting it to an OS 25 muffler. Larry, you mentioned mounting problems, well I ran into that too. The front crankcase screw bosses are in the way, so I'd have to gouge out reliefs in the nose of the Shoestring. I'm not that in need of an engine swap.

I forgot I had an OS MAX-S 35 on the shelf, and it fits. It has an RC carb on it so I could wire it open because I'm pretty sure an FP venturi won't fit. But while I was out in the shop, I decided to bolt the Thunder Tiger back on it and hang it up until I get an OS#1 NVA for bladder use. I already have a couple of bladders made up, and I might try it with the existing NV just for fun. If I wasn't so busy, I'd make a remote out of a Cox NV I have, but I need to move on to more important projects; fix the Ukey(worked at it a little tonight), bench trim the Cardinal, Build the Twister, and the Stuntman23 x 3 project is ready for some wood work. I planned to go fly tomorrow until the flood damage inspectors called and rained on my parade. Maybe they'll come early and cut me some free time. Wayne and Bob will be out there. The Cardinal feels like a great fit for me. I can't wait to get its issues ironed out and flying right.

However, since sitting down at the computer I pulled up an old post by Ken Cook comparing the Enya and the Max-S .35, and I'm suddenly excited about it. Jim Lee can make me a CL NVA for it. I'm glad I save this advice in notepad files, because I can never remember it. I gather from what I read that the S-35, designed to run a real 4-2, would be a sweet combination with the old Goldberg Shoestring, and I might enjoy flying in Nostalgia or some class it qualifies for. I will put it back on it and give it a rip. I sure wish I had a good engine clamp so I don't have to use an airplane for testing.

But I really am disappointed that I won't be using the Enya,especially since we have some forum interest in the subject. The Twister is too big for it so I have nothing to use it for. I love my OS engines, but I want to exand my experience to others. I even tried to fit a Torpedo .29 and a Green Head .35 but they're not even close. Looks like my main hobby shop http://stores.ebay.com/OmniModels(DO NOT use the Omnimodels.com store) no longer lists the OS #! NVA, so I'll search one up.
Rusty

Here is a reprint of Ken's information:
Ken sometime in the past wrote:If you take note on the FP.35, it has a bulge on the front of the case just in front of the OS casting. This is on the opposing side of the exhaust. Your Fp .40 doesn't have that. The bulge on the case indicates iron piston steel liner.

The MAX-S is iron piston as well. A very good engine for stunt. It does have some shortcomings if not taken care of. The rods were the weakness in that engine and they would egg out.Another problem was the brass end pads on the wrist pin. These would wear out and cut grooves into the liner rendering the engine useless. Solution, use castor.  The area that rides on the crank pin is bushed but it had a coating similar to titanium nitride. Once wore off the rod would just hammer itself into submission. The key factor was to just not run the engine too hard.

The screws are of a special size for the MAX-s. The Fp series will not interchange with that engine. Another critical factor is venturi size. Jim Lee knows the required size for that engine and the specific spraybar size. Although the newer LA needle fits, the spraybar diameter is not correct in the throat area of the venturi. Tom Lay was monumental in providing some of the best running OS MAX-s.  engines. Tom just recently passed sad to say.

While many of the newer LA engine have a few parts that interchang the OS MAX-s doesn't therefore gaskets and so forth are virtually nonexistent. I do have a few backplate gaskets however, I just need to locate them.

In terms of power between the OS MAX-s and the FP's........ night and day. The FP's are high timed engines that don't run a 4-2 break and wouldn't like a 4-2 run. They swing light pitched props at higher rpm's. The MAX-s likes a 10x6 EW if you can locate the EW (Extra Wide). It does run a nice 4-2 and it runs very smooth. I'm sure you've heard the discussion of the shaky Fox. The OS MAX has a extremely smooth run with slightly more power than the Fox (depending on the Fox). Match the power of the OS MAX-s with the same size airframe as the Fox .35. The FP's however can go larger in squares. My Oriental I had with me to show you was powered by a Fox .35. The ideal powerplant for that size plane would indeed be a OS FP.40. I stayed with tradiition but I'm running that Fox to the max on that plane. The FP.40 wouldn't break a sweat doing so. The difference though is that the FP .40 is 3 ounces heavier.

The Enya is a sweet running engine equally, it does have it's quirks as well. THe main problem was getting it to break in. They last FOREVER. Just keep an eye on the front case and make sure it's tight and no other worries. If the front of the case comes loose, the engine will not run it will shut off immediately.

In terms of fuel, some will claim that each engine needs specifics fuels of various oil ratios and oil types for each one, we run all of the above engines on 1 type of fuel which you know what that is. For stunt though, the FP's we run are generally on 5% nitro to keep the power down. They will run just fine on 10% but the run time will be shortened slightly. Ken

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:18 am

Rusty, you asked prior about the era of the Enya. For the most part this is a 70's engine. This brings up a good point, seeing that most people are enamoured with the likes of Sterling, those planes fly quite well with period engines. Yes, the Enya will fly it but one factor I didn't mention in my earlier post was the weight of the Enya over the competition. I feel the Super Tiger .35 was the strongest of the bunch back then. It was also the most expensive and I'm referring to bushed engines. The Super Tiger engines however cost many dollars more almost twice of a Fox .35 and this placed them in a somewhat elite category. The Enya made decent power for the cost and much more than the other competition.

While most will state you can't wear out an Enya, I have to agree with that statement. But, you can break an Enya which I have done quite a bit. Dan and I back in the day would run the Enya .35's on bladder on Voodoo's and FLite Streaks. It was pretty common to have the crankshafts break as it happened to many of us who used them for this purpose.On suction, and nitro in the 10% area you have a engine that will last a lifetime. They "Hauled the mail" so to speak.

The Shoestring in my opinion would fly quite well with the Enya on it. Most of the Goldberg kits built slightly tail heavy. Not good for the beginner but easily resolved and the Shoestring had a fair amount of wing area compared to Sterling models. Sterling kit like the F-51, Yak-9, Ringmaster had very little wing area and were all nose heavy. This makes the Enya a slightly poor choice due to the light wing loading. Yes, it works but a Mccoy, Max-35S or Fox , K&B Greenhead works superior due to weight. But a smaller Enya mill can fly those older planes with authority over the above. I've seen that many times where the .19 has done quite well. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  larrys4227 Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:05 am

Hey Rusty --- Yeah, I didn't want to hack up a plane, just to get the Enya to fit.  Last night I did mount it to the Flight Streak ... an evenings worth of work and I didn't cause destruction to the plane.

I put 3" wheels on ..... gives alittle more room for the hanging muffler.  I do have the Big Art tongue muffler coming .... just in case.

Thats a Jim Lee venturi on there, and a 9x5 prop to break it in.

One of these days, I should really build myself a break-in stand .....

Enya .35 #5224 and OS MAX-S .35 Large
larrys4227
larrys4227
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:01 am

Larry, those 3" wheels look good. Bet you don't have any problems taking off of grass. - George
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  larrys4227 Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:05 am

GallopingGhostler wrote:Larry, those 3" wheels look good. Bet you don't have any problems taking off of grass. - George

I've got a couple of planes that have those wheels ... I really like 'em. I have a rubber runway that I take off from .... but landings are always in the grass. Sometimes, really long cause I'm too lazy or tired to mow it.

Thanks for the comments George!!
larrys4227
larrys4227
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:17 am

You're welcome, Larry.

Don't mean to deviate off topic, just a comment. With all the over reaction of our US government on this drone situation, further potential restriction of our freedoms, passing of unreasonable laws totally banning model aircraft flight in national parks got me seriously considering CL flight here on out.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  larrys4227 Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:49 am

GallopingGhostler wrote:You're welcome, Larry.

Don't mean to deviate off topic, just a comment. With all the over reaction of our US government on this drone situation, further potential restriction of our freedoms, passing of unreasonable laws totally banning model aircraft flight in national parks got me seriously considering CL flight here on out.

I hear ya ..... No Tired w/ Coffee Read
larrys4227
larrys4227
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  akjgardner Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:20 am

larrys4227 wrote:

I got 2 hobbies, Guns and Model airplanes, the Government wants to take both away from me   .( aint gunna happen)
akjgardner
akjgardner
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  larrys4227 Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:42 am

akjgardner wrote:
larrys4227 wrote:

I got 2 hobbies, Guns and Model airplanes, the Government wants to take both away from me   .( aint gunna happen)

cheers cheers Beer Cheers Hand Shake cheers cheers
larrys4227
larrys4227
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:48 am

You can have my Tee Dee when you pry it from my cold dead hands Devil
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:06 am

Hell Yes Guns/model airplanes/beer/ that's about right Beer Cheers right now I have to got CoOK again Shh going to run some fun this afternoon though , hadn't even broken in that new GloBee Tach yet Devil getonback Paranoid
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  larrys4227 Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:26 pm

getback wrote:hadn't even broken in that new GloBee Tach yet Devil getonback Paranoid

At a swap meet last weekend ..... I picked up a GloBee Tach .... 15.00 brand new, with box .... maybe too much?

I think it's called "Intellitach" ... or something like that. Haven't tried it yet .... except on a florescent light ... and seemed to work fine.
larrys4227
larrys4227
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:01 pm

Larry it's a good tach but a bit of a pain in the rear. This is due to the fact that you have to keep clicking to get the proper blade operation. The tach I believe is setup and automatically goes to 3 blade unless you change the default which requires you to click until you have the desired blade. It also has a memory that records your highest tached number. Personally, I'm checking rpm's and not looking for a tach to store rpm recordings. If your not in the correct mode it will give you false info. Too much daylight and the tach becomes troublesome to see the lcd and not enough light will not allow it work at all. All in all a good tach as I mentioned aside from the few quirks I experienced with it. Be careful of the eye up front as it can easily become damaged as it has very little protection around it. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:26 pm

I treat my Hobbico tach like a hockey puck. It fits loosely in any pocket and the batteries last forever. I did make a small ply frame around the on-off switch so it has to be purposely be switched.

I'm going to bolt the .35 on the Shoestring tonight and give it a rip. I'll fly it Sunday. What do y'all think, 10x5 prop, somewhere around there? I'll be wiring the carb open, so I don't know if it'll tune well for a 4-2 break. I hope so. Bob will be there to advise me on venturis, etc.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  larrys4227 Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:08 pm

Ken Cook wrote:        Larry it's a good tach but a bit of a pain in the rear. This is due to the fact that you have to keep clicking to get the proper blade operation. The tach I believe is setup and automatically goes to 3 blade unless you change the default which requires you to click until you have the desired blade. It also has a memory that records your highest tached number. Personally, I'm checking rpm's and not looking for a tach to store rpm recordings. If your not in the correct mode it will give you false info. Too much daylight and the tach becomes troublesome to see the lcd and not enough light will not allow it work at all. All in all a good tach as I mentioned aside from the few quirks I experienced with it. Be careful of the eye up front as it can easily become damaged as it has very little protection around it. Ken

As soon as I switch mine on, it goes right to 2-blade .... then of course I have to cycle through to get it turned off. Not a big deal ... my Hobbico did that.

I did notice the exposed tip ..... yup, already a mental note to be careful with that.
larrys4227
larrys4227
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:06 am

I know the tach can be set to do essentially whatever your needs are. It really is a matter of holding down the push keys and holding them down for a second or two. The problem is my big ham hands start fumbling with the keys and I have to begin the process all over due to me being impatient and needing to constantly scroll the menu. While my experience sounds negative, it takes a lot of abuse as I've unintentionally done some things to it that it shouldn't of tolerated. It certainly performs the intended purpose well. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:57 am

Mine is the same power on two blade is on top , after using it for the first time yesterday (vid downloading now) I find it takes some getting use to since it is a lot BIGER than my Hobbieco was, but light weight . stay in front of the prop to keep nitro from getting into the eye or at least from cly. exhaust , Trending at 26.00 got mine in a auction 13.95 shipped I am happy . After I get use to it I think things will work out between us . Very Happy Eric
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down