Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Another beautiful day--- Videos of the Jezebel Twin, Shoestring & Cardinal Cox_ba12

Another beautiful day--- Videos of the Jezebel Twin, Shoestring & Cardinal Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by Yabby Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 5:44 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Yesterday at 8:20 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

» On ebay a very special Cox engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 6:32 am

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by Admin Yesterday at 12:51 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Another beautiful day--- Videos of the Jezebel Twin, Shoestring & Cardinal Empty
Live on Patrol

Another beautiful day--- Videos of the Jezebel Twin, Shoestring & Cardinal

Go down

Another beautiful day--- Videos of the Jezebel Twin, Shoestring & Cardinal Empty Another beautiful day--- Videos of the Jezebel Twin, Shoestring & Cardinal

Post  RknRusty Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:34 pm

Two clear calm flying days in a row, what luck. Late November is making up for mother nature's recent rudeness. I suppose everyone reading this knows of the engine swap on my Shoestring, so here's a video with a couple of shakedown flights. No muffler on the MAX-S .35 and it has a beautiful loud growl. As I understand it, this one challenged the stronghold of Fox on the stunt circuit. It's supposedly designed to be a 4-2 engine, but for me, I either had it set too rich or too lean. But I have an RC carb wired open, and I'll wait til I get a venturi for it and get it tuned up.

Here's a video of both Shoestring flights and a look at our pits . On that second flight it sounded perfect for a couple of laps, but leaned out too fast for any serious attempt at a pattern, so I just blew through the shapes way up high and safe. I don't want to bust my Shoestring.

EDIT: I don't know why these dang things won't blow up to fullscreen, but try watching them on Youtube if you have to.

https://youtu.be/fI7ZYcD4kQc

Here's My Cardinal. It's one Watt built, and I'd always looked at it hanging in his shop. I've always kind of wanted a Cardinal, and one day Wayne showed up with it to replenish my ailing fleet, because I'd been on a crashing binge since August. It's got an LA 46 on it. pure two stroke, but really smooth. This plane has a good hard pull everywhere in the hemisphere. It only felt loose once during my inside loops when the wind shifted, and you can see me change my stunts to the left after that. Not bad for a first pattern after trim flights, I make an ugly V8 and an ugly triangle, but most of the rest came easy. it's a good solid feeling plane.

https://youtu.be/1O27n5tlcyM

Saturday I got the head gaskets for the Oriental's FP but didn't have time to install them, so I didn't bother flying it.
I gotta sign off. I'll finish tomorrow. Meanwhile, here's Bob Zambelli's twin Fox Jezebel.

https://youtu.be/t_pdTVOdDN4

Last edited by RknRusty on Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:22 am; edited 1 time in total

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Another beautiful day--- Videos of the Jezebel Twin, Shoestring & Cardinal Empty Re: Another beautiful day--- Videos of the Jezebel Twin, Shoestring & Cardinal

Post  larrys4227 Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:47 am

Great videos! Enjoyed watching them!!
larrys4227
larrys4227
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Another beautiful day--- Videos of the Jezebel Twin, Shoestring & Cardinal Empty Re: Another beautiful day--- Videos of the Jezebel Twin, Shoestring & Cardinal

Post  getback Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:06 am

Thanks Rusty , The Miss Shoestring really picked up after a leaning , Looked good , And Bob sure reamed out the Twin has that sound you just got to love . Good day at the field !! Did ya'll fly any 1/2A Stuff? Eric Very Happy
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:38 am

Finally got to watch these and some others! El Coolo !!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:20 am

We tried to fly some 1/2A but we looked more like a monkey fumbling a football doing it. Bob got the Tee Dee on the Golden Hawk flooded and we both fooled with it, even using the big starter much to my cautionary mention of the stress on the con-rod. We flipped and flipped til our wrists got numb but just couldn't hear that TD hum. And his decals were starting to wash off the nose. It's a shame because Bob is an incredibly light builder, and this hollow log was an eighth inch thin all the way to the empennage, and I wanted to see just how fast the TD would sling this thing around. Bob was afraid I was going to crush it just holding on to it. I hope it's okay, I did not hear or feel any cracking, I'd feel terrible if I hurt it. We tried hard, but it wasn't to be. Later I picked it up and started closing the needle, a KK fine thread, and I turned it 15 times before it bottomed out. Okay, maybe that was the trouble. So we resumed playing with our big planes and making movies.

As the sun touched the treetops, we all decided we wanted to see the Gladiator fly. I filled the bladder and started hooking up a reel of 42' .008" wires. I Hate those thin wire lines. Before I even got them rolled out, I had a knot threatening to cinch, and that took me 15 minutes to untie. Then I popped one at the thimble(they'd been crimp-tubed). Jeez. Meanwhile my pit buddies are cleaning their planes and packing their stuff, and all of my gear is slung all over the damn pits casting longer and longer shadows. I finally got a set of 41' lines on it, and got the elevator adjusted. We walked it out and... flipped and flipped til our wrists got numb but.... oh wait, you know the rest Rolling Eyes I took off the little 4-1/4" rubber ducky and put on a 5-1/2". Now it looked a little ridiculous, but we still couldn't crank it. And yes, we tried the 10 pound electric motor. When I add a starter spring, I'll open the AME and check the con-rod.

So that wraps up my 1/2A report. They're gonna suspend my 1/2A credentials if I don't clean up my act Lol. It's my personal duty to make the little ones look as easy to crank and fly as the fat boys, and keep them from teasing us baby plane lovers. I fell down on the job this time though.

Oh, one other thing, Bob's Bullet, did you see that in the Flight Line segment? It's a scaled down Musciano model he scratched. It has the leadouts embedded in the 1/8" airfoil wing, hidden completely. Look closely as I pass with the camera, and you'll see the whole nose with the engine and tank laying next to it. That's a cool setup.
Okay, now, I'm outta here.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:07 pm

Great Report and Flying Rusty! Too bad for the "small stuff" at least you had them displayed in the pits. I just love the sound of those Twins. Sounds so much better on the stereo speakers of the PC than the iPad. Thanks for the report and video's, What fun!!
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:59 pm

"Crash Loop".. ha ha.. I was anxious to see the Shoe-String fly! That's a strong engine! How many clicks "lean" on the second flight? The engine sounded like it got into it's comfort-zone in the 3rd lap.. and then settled into a power-run. What's the plan for the venturi? Do you know the size of the carb wired wide-open? I wonder how the length (height) of the carb vs. the length/height of an FP Stunt venturi compares? You know.. like an intake manifold. I think "Ken" mentioned that there was a particularly good needle on the .25FP-S that's in the nose of my Dad's Sterling Mono-Coupe that's hanging from the rafters in my workshop. Maybe that's the needle/spray-bar you'll get (or need) for the venturi-swap?

The Cardinal flight was cool. Did you need/use a trim-tab? You looked good/comfortable flying that airplane. Neither of the flight vid's engine-runs exhibited a 4-2 break. The LA .46 hauls a$$.. but you were on top of it. Will switching to a venturi on the Shoe-String's OS .35 give you more of a 4-2 run? Is this what makes it comparable to a Fox .35 Stunt?
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:45 pm

roddie wrote:"Crash Loop".. ha ha.. I was anxious to see the Shoe-String fly! That's a strong engine! How many clicks "lean" on the second flight? The engine sounded like it got into it's comfort-zone in the 3rd lap.. and then settled into a power-run. What's the plan for the venturi? Do you know the size of the carb wired wide-open? I wonder how the length (height) of the carb vs. the length/height of an FP Stunt venturi compares? You know.. like an intake manifold. I think "Ken" mentioned that there was a particularly good needle on the .25FP-S that's in the nose of my Dad's Sterling Mono-Coupe that's hanging from the rafters in my workshop. Maybe that's the needle/spray-bar you'll get (or need) for the venturi-swap?

The Cardinal flight was cool. Did you need/use a trim-tab? You looked good/comfortable flying that airplane. Neither of the flight vid's engine-runs exhibited a 4-2 break. The LA .46 hauls a$$.. but you were on top of it. Will switching to a venturi on the Shoe-String's OS .35 give you more of a 4-2 run? Is this what makes it comparable to a Fox .35 Stunt?
Bob is going to make a Delrin(I think) venturi for me, so I'll take whatever size he says I need. The MAX is meant for a 4-2 stunt run, so I expect it will do just that when properly outfitted. I hope 3 ounces is enough fuel though, I don't have room for much more on that plane. But I'll be happy enough if I can only sport fly it. I only did one lap between a lot of the maneuvers, most of which was unrecognizable. I don't know how many clicks. It was perfect at first, but it sure got fast. But then it was perfect again inverted.

I am comfortable with the Cardinal. The LA is meant to run just like you heard it. Those were 5 second laps. I could fly prettier at a slower pace on a calm day, but I think I better stick to that speed because I'll need it in the wind, and I've never flown on a calm day in a contest. As well as I handled it on my first try, I think I'll smooth it out nicely. It has a trim tab, but it's way too much, it's big with a too-steep angle. It has a warped flap that needs straightening or replacing.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:42 am

Well that sucks for a 1/2A performer of wild stunts , but I understand sometimes it just an't going to happen then your right before making a bad mistake to try and get R going . That Golden Hawk looks nice does it fly well with what kind of characteristics ? I have looked at one several times and like the old time look of the rounded wings , don't know when Canada will be up and running the Walt Musciano Laser cut models kits and I read there will be a price increase Surprised but the models will be more builder friendly ?! getback This Site Rocks!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:29 pm

RknRusty wrote:We tried to fly some 1/2A but we looked more like a monkey fumbling a football doing it. Bob got the Tee Dee on the Golden Hawk flooded and we both fooled with it, even using the big starter much to my cautionary mention of the stress on the con-rod. We flipped and flipped til our wrists got numb but just couldn't hear that TD hum. And his decals were starting to wash off the nose. It's a shame because Bob is an incredibly light builder, and this hollow log was an eighth inch thin all the way to the empennage, and I wanted to see just how fast the TD would sling this thing around. Bob was afraid I was going to crush it just holding on to it. I hope it's okay, I did not hear or feel any cracking, I'd feel terrible if I hurt it. We tried hard, but it wasn't to be. Later I picked it up and started closing the needle, a KK fine thread, and I turned it 15 times before it bottomed out. Okay, maybe that was the trouble. So we resumed playing with our big planes and making movies.

As the sun touched the treetops, we all decided we wanted to see the Gladiator fly. I filled the bladder and started hooking up a reel of 42' .008" wires. I Hate those thin wire lines. Before I even got them rolled out, I had a knot threatening to cinch, and that took me 15 minutes to untie. Then I popped one at the thimble(they'd been crimp-tubed). Jeez. Meanwhile my pit buddies are cleaning their planes and packing their stuff, and all of my gear is slung all over the damn pits casting longer and longer shadows. I finally got a set of 41' lines on it, and got the elevator adjusted. We walked it out and... flipped and flipped til our wrists got numb but.... oh wait, you know the rest Rolling Eyes I took off the little 4-1/4" rubber ducky and put on a 5-1/2". Now it looked a little ridiculous, but we still couldn't crank it. And yes, we tried the 10 pound electric motor. When I add a starter spring, I'll open the AME and check the con-rod.

So that wraps up my 1/2A report. They're gonna suspend my 1/2A credentials if I don't clean up my act Lol. It's my personal duty to make the little ones look as easy to crank and fly as the fat boys, and keep them from teasing us baby plane lovers. I fell down on the job this time though.

Oh, one other thing, Bob's Bullet, did you see that in the Flight Line segment? It's a scaled down Musciano model he scratched. It has the leadouts embedded in the 1/8" airfoil wing, hidden completely. Look closely as I pass with the camera, and you'll see the whole nose with the engine and tank laying next to it. That's a cool setup.
Okay, now, I'm outta here.
Rusty

Hey man.. you're always so tough on yourself. Everybody has those episodes.. where things just don't work. Were you guys all running that GPB fuel? I wonder how the oil blends differ between 1/2A fuels? The percentages between the castor and synthetic could be the same.. but the viscosities could differ.. right? Was Bob's Tee Dee last ran on a different fuel? If so, that could have likely been the trouble. I've never messed with a fine-thread needle.. although I have some Cox one's in postage-stamp reedy back-plates. They're 128TPI like the KK ones.. but I'd imagine the latter is superior. I like the Golden Hawk too. Did Bob say how he hollowed-out the fuse? When you mentioned it's 1/8" walls.. I thought; wow.. that's pretty thin. I've got some balsa planks that are 1.75" thick and plenty-long with the grain for a 1/2A fuse. There's still the roughing/carving/sanding of a streamlined shape though. Eric mentioned something about a production-change with the Blackhawk models? I wonder if it could be in the pre-shaping of those block-fuses? A lot of their models use those. It's got to be a labor of love to carve-out a fuse like on Bob's Golden-Hawk. Did he mention the model's finish-weight?
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down