Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

We got in some freeflight flights with our Pee Wee .020 and the old Atwood on the Wagner Dakota Cox_ba12

We got in some freeflight flights with our Pee Wee .020 and the old Atwood on the Wagner Dakota Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Draco Goes Flying, But Misses the Eclipse
by HalfaDave Yesterday at 9:59 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» music vids.. some of your favorites
by crankbndr Yesterday at 7:26 pm

» Enya .09 II Questions
by Surfer_kris Yesterday at 2:45 pm

» Wen Mac .049 - Conditioning.
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:21 pm

» Happy 53rd birthday Mauricio!!!
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 11:22 am

» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 10:57 am

» UV Restore of Yellowed Decals
by Levent Suberk Yesterday at 8:59 am

» 22mm 2-blade nylon marine prop and solid-shaft drive
by roddie Yesterday at 6:46 am

» Post edit??
by roddie Yesterday at 5:33 am

» Original Super Power fuel formula?
by HalfaDave Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:28 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

We got in some freeflight flights with our Pee Wee .020 and the old Atwood on the Wagner Dakota Empty
Live on Patrol

We got in some freeflight flights with our Pee Wee .020 and the old Atwood on the Wagner Dakota

Go down

We got in some freeflight flights with our Pee Wee .020 and the old Atwood on the Wagner Dakota Empty We got in some freeflight flights with our Pee Wee .020 and the old Atwood on the Wagner Dakota

Post  Ken Cook Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:18 pm

My son and I got a few hours this past Sunday and achieved some cool flights on our .020 free flight bird. Dan Banjock launched for us and he's been monumental in assisting us.  This has been sitting for quite some time and thanks to those on the forum for providing me some needed parts, the plane took flight on the eyedropper fuel tank. As of now, were just giving it a few seconds of run time. We have the prop on backwards as well. Due to the light steady wind we didn't go for the gusto. This was really cool seeing this fly. https://www.facebook.com/PhillyFliersCL/videos/vb.513140418756097/954077557995712/?type=2&theater  

This is Dan's Dakota that he built several years ago, I'm currently building one myself. This is just outright cool and I love watching it.
          https://www.facebook.com/PhillyFliersCL/videos/vb.513140418756097/954076107995857/?type=2&theater  I hope to be doing more of this with some newer models currently under construction. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

We got in some freeflight flights with our Pee Wee .020 and the old Atwood on the Wagner Dakota Empty Re: We got in some freeflight flights with our Pee Wee .020 and the old Atwood on the Wagner Dakota

Post  Marleysky Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:33 pm

That looks like to much fun!! Just how high would she go if the prop was on right and a sip or two more fuel? Reminds me of the type of flights I'd dreamed of getting with those old rubber powered jobs.
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

We got in some freeflight flights with our Pee Wee .020 and the old Atwood on the Wagner Dakota Empty Re: We got in some freeflight flights with our Pee Wee .020 and the old Atwood on the Wagner Dakota

Post  Ken Cook Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:54 am

Our field is surrounded by trees, I didn't want to test fate. The .020 was on 10% fuel as the high nitro really caused it to roll hard into a turn. The Dakota however is heavy with not a lot of glide. It can go higher and not risking floating away when the power cuts. Dan is going to take my plane to the NATS this year and really give it the moon shot. The nice thing about eyedropper tanks is that you can see the fuel level and approximate the fuel useage opposed to a guess. It was fun and I hope to have my Jetex stuff ready in the next few weeks. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:34 am

That was real cool Ken thanks for the videos
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:08 am

NICE !! man it glides really good and like the way it comes back close to you Thanks Ken , enjoyed !! getback Very Happy
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:08 am

I'm not a free flight guy, but I really enjoyed those flights. Questions: Prop on backwards ??? On the Dakota I noticed that it switched directions when the engine cut off. Seems it went from clockwise to counter. Torque?

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:41 pm

Bob, placing the prop on backwards works but the prop doesn't work efficiently. I'm limited for space and the Pee Wee is very underestimated when it comes to running one. A 8-10 second run can really put this high. In addition, were next to a airport where we fly and we have a limit of how high we can fly. Rather than risk losing the plane we just keep the flights short. As far as the Dakota, torque is correct. The .020 should do the same, but we have a shim under the wing to keep it in it's current turning path. My Dakota is going to be powered with a Spitzy .045.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:06 pm

Extremely Cool!!!! Great Job Ken and Crew !!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:21 pm

Ken Cook wrote:            Bob, placing the prop on backwards works but the prop doesn't work efficiently. I'm limited for space and the Pee Wee is very underestimated when it comes to running one. A 8-10 second run can really put this high. In addition, were next to a airport where we fly and we have a limit of how high we can fly. Rather than risk losing the plane we just keep the flights short.  As far as the Dakota, torque is correct. The .020 should do the same, but we have a shim under the wing to keep it in it's current turning path. My Dakota is going to be powered with a Spitzy .045.

Ya gotta love those Spitzy's. I can't believe how well they run. Start easy too.

Have you ever seen that wooden prop? Came on a Baby Spitfire.

We got in some freeflight flights with our Pee Wee .020 and the old Atwood on the Wagner Dakota Spitzy10

We got in some freeflight flights with our Pee Wee .020 and the old Atwood on the Wagner Dakota Spitzy11
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:14 pm

That looks like loads of fun. I could do that at our big open field at Fort Jackson too. I thought the same thing MarleySky said. I spent so much time playing with rubber band American Juniors, I think I would get a new one every time my Mom took me to the "Dime" store. But I s'pose I better have something on strings ready for the Traveling .010. Thanks for posting those videos.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  JPvelo Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:13 pm

Ken,

I love it! I think I might build one. I am looking at the plan on outerzone and have a question on the ribs. I understand they are 1/4" deeper than necessary to hold shape while the glue dries, but what's the tab on the top front of the ribs?

We got in some freeflight flights with our Pee Wee .020 and the old Atwood on the Wagner Dakota L00o5Jf
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:59 pm

Jim, the tab your referring to is where the sheeting stops. The leading edge on this model is almost 1.5 inches wide with the dado's cut into them to receive the ribs. Once the ribs are glued to the leading edge, the sheeting is installed and the leading edge section is shaped and rounded off. Cool plane. Not much of a glide path which is good for me. I don't have an excessive amount of real estate where we fly. There's a large mail carrier which backs up to the field with many 3-4 story buildings. I lost a beautiful hand launch glider a few weeks ago which didn't make me too happy. It went onto the roof and they were not going to let me retrieve it.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason_WI Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:08 pm

Ken Cook wrote:I lost a beautiful hand launch glider a few weeks ago which didn't make me too happy. It went onto the roof and they were not going to let me retrieve it.

Hex or quad copter with a claw attached for retrieval. Smile
Jason_WI
Jason_WI
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  gcb Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:50 pm

rsv1cox wrote:I'm not a free flight guy, but I really enjoyed those flights.  Questions: On the Dakota I noticed that it switched directions when the engine cut off.  Seems it went from clockwise to counter.  Torque?  

Bob

Joe Wagner designed it o climb one way under power then glide the other. It was designed to be a small-field plane.

Still...once in awhile someone loses one. :-(

George
gcb
gcb
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:59 pm

I think torque does have something to do with it. Years ago i designed a killer V-tail 1/2a pylon racer, only to discover i had no radio after launch, it circled to the left a couple times as it climbed before it straighten out to a large RH turn...it was found the following spring by a farmer, over a mile away.
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:38 am

Bob, Indeed, it is the engine's torque that makes a free flight plane turn in circles.

In theory (and in absence of wind), when chucking the plane by hand without the engine running, it glides straight ahead. In flight, with the engine running CCW with a right hand prop, th port wing will be lower than the starboard wing. This is caused by the reaction of the engine opposite to the CCW turning prop. Once the engine stops, the plane will start gliding straight ahead, which is not very desirable as it flies away in any possible direction, depending at what moment the engine stopped. The thing is to give the plane a small weight at starboard to make it circle to the right when gliding, but this weight may not be too big or to far away from the centre line because it wouldn't go to the left when circling when under power!

In the below video, my Flying Sorcerer climbs to the left and glides back circling to the right but not in tight enough circles. The weight was fixed just inboard of the starboard rudder and this was not far enough. I now fixed it outboard of the rudder. You can't move it too much at a time as this will also influence the climbing to the left which will be less tight. Also the wing weight needs to be at the C of G of the plane

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8wb5mZs9_g

We got in some freeflight flights with our Pee Wee .020 and the old Atwood on the Wagner Dakota Imgp8215

On my new Wing Ding, I fixed a weight to the starboard wing but it was difficult to see what the plane did exactly, I flew in the late afternoon and there was a slight South Westerly wind, so the plane went away from me.

We got in some freeflight flights with our Pee Wee .020 and the old Atwood on the Wagner Dakota Imgp8216

Lieven
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down