Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Stels .049 Cox_ba12

Stels .049 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Cox powered boat litle shrimp hidroplane
by davidll1984 Today at 2:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Today at 1:39 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Today at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by Yabby Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Stels .049 Empty
Live on Patrol

Stels .049

Go down

Stels .049 Empty Stels .049

Post  JPvelo Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:47 pm

I just picked up a Stels .049. It came with a standard glow plug head and felt like it had no compression. I put a standard cox head on and it has plenty of compression and fired right up on prime. The needle valve is extremely loose, hoping for some input from someone with Stels experience.

Stels .049 CHUMrBc
Stels .049 T9HmZbK
Stels .049 CEhiQUd
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Stels .049 Empty Re: Stels .049

Post  RknRusty Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:01 pm

That's interesting. Dual exhaust. The case and cylinder look a lot like an AME. I wonder if it ever had a venturi. May be a pretty strong little powerplant.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:02 pm

Jim I love the Stels engines. The earlier engines didn't come with plugs and the recommended prop was the 1702 Cox high compression. Stels started to manufacture there own drop in style plugs on the later variants and I have about a dozen of them. These worked good. The Galbreath Nelson setup is a good solution if you don't want to use the Cox hi comp. Here's some of the problems with this engine. It will run on bladder with the exception of that needle. It's just too coarse for a decent setting. It's either too lean or dead rich. The other problem is the rear exhaust. It will burn the you know what out of your fingers when adjusting the needle.  It will run fine on 35% but it wants to do some rpm's. I have the instructions for these and the recommended fuel for break in was 45% nitro 20% oil. It just says to run the engine until the black oil ceases to remain and then the nitro can be increased. The bathtub venturi is too large for suction. Stels did offer inserts but they too were generally too large. Your engine I see still has the three stock screws holding the cylinder flange to the case. These screws can and will break having the cylinder blow off. It's best to replace these with socket head screws which can be easily found in the r/c car section of most hobby shops. I believe the thread is 2.5 mm. It's a simple fix and a good peace of mind. These engines were designed mainly for combat and they're high quality. They don't like big props. Anything larger than 4 1/4" and the engine isn't going to be real happy. They also like low pitch. APC 4.6 x 3 works but I like to trim them down a bit as the 3 pitch holds it back. I like to use a Cox black 5x3 cut down to 4" and even less with the tips smoothly rounded off. Great engines and they made a side exhaust version of these as well which are just wonderful to run. I have the larger .15 size twin horn as well. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:17 pm

I found this, Looks like it may have been a diesel. 6th engine from the top.
http://www.mh-aerotools.de/airfoils/cox_smallengines.htm

Oh, Ken posted too.

Last edited by RknRusty on Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:17 pm

Jim,

That needle valve looks to have a jam nut that can tighten down the needle. Like a ST NV.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  JPvelo Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:20 pm

Cribbs74 wrote:Jim,

That needle valve looks to have a jam nut that can tighten down the needle. Like a ST NV.

Ron

That's what I thought, I tightened the nut but still loosey goosey. I'll probably retrofit a postage stamp needle.

Jim
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:34 pm

Ken are those the same size screws that hold down the AME and Big Mig cylinders?

Sorry to go off topic, but I'm going to the LHS tomorrow, and have been wanting to get some.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:16 pm

The needle valve assembly can be replaced with a 128 tpi spraybar but the hole in the case of the Stels is very large. A Driskill needle will fit but even the Driskill needle isn't as fine to provide the same adjustment. A Fora needle would be the cat's meow if you could find one. If you do use a Cox just have a bushing made. Another thing you will be faced with after a Cox retro fit is the length of the spraybar. It's not very long on fuel line side.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:22 pm

Rusty, the screws are the same thread and you could increase the length a few mm for added holding power. The Big Mig however used a much larger slotted head opposed to allen cap screw. Revlite engines use a large head screw and the pre revlite engines used a screw similar to the one Jim has on his engine. Doug Galbreath who is known for his free flight activity would automatically switch out the screws if you sent him the engine. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Dane Martin Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:05 pm

JPvelo wrote:
Cribbs74 wrote:Jim,

Ron

That's what I thought, I tightened the nut but still loosey goosey. I'll probably retrofit a postage stamp needle.

Jim

One thing I've noticed with those older jam nut style nva's is that if they were tight, and lots of adjustments were made, then the brass starts to wear. The "shavings" end up in the slots. The nut gives the excess metal no where to go.

Take it apart and run a razor saw in the slots to clean them out. Then reassemble and try again. Should fix it up nice. That way there's some squish room in the spray bar slots again
Dane Martin
Dane Martin
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down