Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Testors Spitfire, just bought from ebay (and video) Cox_ba12

Testors Spitfire, just bought from ebay (and video) Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by balogh Today at 12:07 am

» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 9:32 pm

» Elfin 0.5cc (Arnie Hende replica)
by dan vincent Yesterday at 9:18 pm

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by layback209 Yesterday at 9:10 pm

» Anderson Baby Spitfire - looking for the aft tank and gasket
by Boats13 Yesterday at 8:18 pm

» Fuel residue stain clening help
by akjgardner Yesterday at 7:53 pm

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by sosam117 Yesterday at 5:55 pm

» Cox powered boat litle shrimp hidroplane
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 2:52 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Yesterday at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Yesterday at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 7:56 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:14 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Testors Spitfire, just bought from ebay (and video) Empty
Live on Patrol

Testors Spitfire, just bought from ebay (and video)

Go down

Testors Spitfire, just bought from ebay (and video) Empty Testors Spitfire, just bought from ebay (and video)

Post  ninjaman Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:48 am

Hello,

I just got this off ebay, dirty and requires good clean. Controls work fine and no damage to the plane. The engine, tank and snap spring is one unit and includes a flywheel at the front if I am not mistaken.
Here is the video,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gV0iHibkR6A

Thanks
Simon
ninjaman
ninjaman
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Testors Spitfire, just bought from ebay (and video) Empty Re: Testors Spitfire, just bought from ebay (and video)

Post  batjac Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:28 pm

Hi Simon.  

Looks like a good project.  I have a few old Testors planes myself.  A couple N.I.B. that are staying that way, and a couple in the clean-up stage before flying them.

I love those old Testors pipe bomb engines.  Not as much as Cox, but a close second.  The front piece that looks like a flywheel is the starter spring housing.  I doubt that there's enough metal there to do any dampening of the pulses, but who knows?  If you really think there's garbage in the tank, you can just firmly pull it straight back and it will come off.  The tank is just held in place by a ridge around the tank and a groove in the case it snaps into.  If you do take it apart, you can easily check the reed valve to see if it's still good.   It should be, as they're just a plastic reed.  I don't know if they're mylar or something else, but in the Testors engines I've taken apart, they're still in good shape.  I think that's because the Testors planes never got much flying time.  

I'm kinda surprised the glow head's burnt out, actually.  All the Testors engines I've bought still had good glow heads due to low run time.  Maybe the previous owner used too much voltage and fried the filament?  You can keep an eye out on eBay for new glow plugs, as they come up regularly.  I'm pretty sure the Wen-Mac .049 glow heads will also thread right on the engine, and the Wen-Mac heads use ordinary short glow plugs.  I don’t know how well the engine runs with that four bladed prop.  But, I bet it lugs the engine down pretty good.  If you’replanning on flying the plane, I’d seriously consider a Cox 5x3 Safety Prop.  Also called a ‘Rubber Ducky” prop (http://coxengines.ca/cox-.049-propeller-5-x-3-safety-tip.html).  You should get around 15-16,000 RPM on the pipe bomb with the 5x3.  If you can’t get the Cox 5x3, I’d use whatever brand you can get over there where you are.  Here's a thread on a pipe bomb engine I took apart and cleaned:

https://www.coxengineforum.com/t8062-fun-with-generic-non-threatening-title

For cleaning up the body, I'd suggest first trying some Dawn dish detergent gently wiped on the plastic.  Dawn is great for cutting old glow fuel if it's not too heavily caked on.  Be careful around the decals and wipe them gently.  You're not finding replacements for those puppies.

The EOD Mark

Last edited by batjac on Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Testors Spitfire, just bought from ebay (and video) Empty Re: Testors Spitfire, just bought from ebay (and video)

Post  ian1954 Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:26 pm

The nearest equivalent to Dawn dish detergent in the UK is actually Fairy Liquid. It won't hurt the plastic but, as Mark mentioned, it will not be kind to the transfers (decals)

Dawn is available on Ebay but ..................

Testors Spitfire, just bought from ebay (and video) Dawn10

but for the grand price of £37.08 ($49).

Testors glow heads will be difficult to find in the UK. I have checked my spares and don't have any left. You will have to look on Ebay.com rather than Ebay.co.uk.

Mecoa sell a glow plug adapter for the Wen Mac 049 and the Testors.

http://www.mecoa.com/acc/adaptors/

ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ninjaman Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:50 pm

Thanks for the advice. I am going to try and make an adaptor from the dead glow plug that I have. I have to get the 1/4 32 tap first. I think I may need to use washers to position the plug at the right height.
Thanks
Simon
ninjaman
ninjaman
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  TDbandit Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:13 pm

Thats the little Testors fly 'em' series spitfire, all the advice given is good advice. I had the P51 which was my first fuel powered model back in the 70's which came in a blister pack, Ahh memories Also came with a battery clip and a glass bottle of fuel. They fly ok but can be fast.
One thing, If the spring starter still works, only turn it no more than 3/4 of a turn for starting because it is somewhat fragile and use a good quality fuel and you should be fine. Also they don't run very long on a tank so make sure you have a helper that able to start it so you can be at the handle, gives you more time for fun! (Bandit)
TDbandit
TDbandit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:20 am

Nice looking Airplane , it should get you up and flying in no time , Hope you can get us some video of it flying . Eric Thumbs Up
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down