Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register! Guests are limited to posting in the "General Questions (Guest Posting Allowed)" section only. Becoming a member is fast, easy and FREE!

Testors pipe bomb engine won't run - Page 2 Babe_b10

I forgot my password

Testors pipe bomb engine won't run - Page 2 Pixel
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Trout Fishing season!
by roddie Today at 2:47 pm

» Cox Engine Fuel Line Size?
by Levent Suberk Today at 2:37 pm

» My layout as it progresses
by getback Today at 1:56 pm

» How's the weather?
by roddie Today at 1:34 pm

» New Quickie 100 micro pylon racer project
by kazaklisglider Yesterday at 3:40 pm

» Cox train forum?
by fredvon4 Yesterday at 9:25 am

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (December 2019)
by 1/2A Nut Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:54 pm

» Recent engine acquisitions
by aspeed Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:33 pm

» MINWAX Which one to use
by oldguy Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:40 pm

» Wanted! Pilot head for a PT-19
by NEW222 Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:33 am

Cox Engine of The Month
November-2019
jmcalata's

"Pee Wee .020 throttled combinated"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
The Traveling Prop
Gallery

Testors pipe bomb engine won't run - Page 2 Empty
World of Aviation

Testors pipe bomb engine won't run

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Testors pipe bomb engine won't run - Page 2 Empty Re: Testors pipe bomb engine won't run

Post  Oldenginerod on Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:45 am

I've had engines that have sat around for a long time, building up residue on the glow plug coil for years. The castor seems to coat the wire, which is still going to light up just the same when power is connected, because the resistance of the wire remains the same regardless of how dirty it is. What happens when you disconnect the battery is that the wire is insulated by old hardened castor oil and is no longer in direct contact with the methanol in the fuel, which is what causes the catalytic reaction of the platinum. The engines need some good hard lean running to burn off the coating on the coil. I had a K&B Torp Jr with a type of glow plug insert which is virtually impossible to obtain. It glowed nicely when hooked up to a battery, but did exactly as your did. Disconnect it and it just shuts down, but with each subsequent run it would struggle on a little longer once disconnected each time. Eventually, after 3-4 tanks of fuel it would continue to run when disconnected. The other possibility is that the glow heads may have used a cheaper wire that was only platinum coated. It's possible that the coating has been eroded off over the years, leaving just the base wire which doesn't react to the methanol. The heads aren't impossible to find- new ones come up all the time on ebay, even if a little pricy, or old junk or unloved engines come up in parts lots which can be robbed of the occasional good head.

Rod.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum