Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

The Flightmasters' Fun-Fly near Fort Smith, Arkansas Cox_ba12

The Flightmasters' Fun-Fly near Fort Smith, Arkansas Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Today at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by Yabby Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Yesterday at 8:20 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

» On ebay a very special Cox engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 6:32 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

The Flightmasters' Fun-Fly near Fort Smith, Arkansas Empty
Live on Patrol

The Flightmasters' Fun-Fly near Fort Smith, Arkansas

Go down

The Flightmasters' Fun-Fly near Fort Smith, Arkansas Empty The Flightmasters' Fun-Fly near Fort Smith, Arkansas

Post  Kim Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:29 pm

The Model Airplane Cosmic Forces have thus far given their blessing on this latest possible adventure:  accessible camping close to the field...good weather forecast...Fun-Fly with a charitable slant......a couple planes in reasonably airworthy condition...AND fairly positive mental MoJo toward the whole thing (THE deciding factor).

So....any CEF'rs that may be in range of this get-together, please let me know so that we may hopefully share a soda or two, and bask in the camaraderie of this mysterious and addictive pursuit of controlling things with wires or radios (sorry...didn't sleep well, and am still a bit off center)....

The place looks far enough removed from civilization to perhaps tolerate a howling Fox, so I may pack the old Ringmaster along.

Anyway, I'm leaning hard toward going.  There WILL be video follow-up (probably gonna blend it with my Huntsville run as I did a truly lousy job of covering that deal).

Indecisive by way of laziness Kim

The Flightmasters' Fun-Fly near Fort Smith, Arkansas 6_10

The Flightmasters' Fun-Fly near Fort Smith, Arkansas 8_10

The Flightmasters' Fun-Fly near Fort Smith, Arkansas 8_110

The Flightmasters' Fun-Fly near Fort Smith, Arkansas 8_410

The Flightmasters' Fun-Fly near Fort Smith, Arkansas 8_510

The Flightmasters' Fun-Fly near Fort Smith, Arkansas 8_610

Last edited by Kim on Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

The Flightmasters' Fun-Fly near Fort Smith, Arkansas Empty Re: The Flightmasters' Fun-Fly near Fort Smith, Arkansas

Post  getback Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:24 am

Kim , did you make it to this fly in ? Looks like its in the Boonies for that noise maker you have and a good cause . RC Plane
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

The Flightmasters' Fun-Fly near Fort Smith, Arkansas Empty Re: The Flightmasters' Fun-Fly near Fort Smith, Arkansas

Post  Kim Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:02 am

Yeah, at almost the last moment, I stopped my waffling and decided to go, spending the night in a parking spot at Spring Hill campground after a hard drive with a lot of stops.  The place was chocked full (it IS a holiday, goofy), but perhaps my ragged appearance and red eyes inspired some pity from the kind folks in the office.  They let me pay a small amount in order to be able to issue me a parking permit, and pointed me toward a nice level spot for my rig.  Hard to believe a parking space could look so good.

The Flightmasters' Fun-Fly near Fort Smith, Arkansas 0_110

Rolled in early on Monday as the guys were setting up, and started dragging my stuff out.  They offered to let me camp overnite, which was great...makes packing out a little easier.

The Flightmasters' Fun-Fly near Fort Smith, Arkansas 0_210

The Flightmasters' Fun-Fly near Fort Smith, Arkansas Dsc_0015

I paid a price for my lack of decisiveness though...forgetting to take my little model airplane trailer to help haul my stuff to the flightline.  

Several hikes back and forth to the van just about put me out of it altogether.  The heat seemed way worse than S.M.A.L.L. and the Sig Fly-In---which I thought were fairly warm.

I managed to get too warm and had to flop in the shade for a while, missing the drawing for a couple planes.

The Flightmasters' Fun-Fly near Fort Smith, Arkansas 2_0410

Probably just as well, since I've 'bout got wings sticking out of the windows of my shop anyway...

There was some pretty steady flight instruction going on through the early part of the day.  Wish I'd gotten a better close-up of the faithful battered foamie trainer that's obviously introduced a lot of fledgling pilots to R/C.  I like this kind of stuff.

The Flightmasters' Fun-Fly near Fort Smith, Arkansas 2_010

The Flightmasters' Fun-Fly near Fort Smith, Arkansas 2_0110

The Flightmasters' Fun-Fly near Fort Smith, Arkansas 1_010

The Flightmasters' Fun-Fly near Fort Smith, Arkansas 1_110

The Flightmasters' Fun-Fly near Fort Smith, Arkansas 1_1010

The Flightmasters' Fun-Fly near Fort Smith, Arkansas 1_1410

The Flightmasters' Fun-Fly near Fort Smith, Arkansas 1_1310

They had a pretty good turn-out, with a bunch of flying before and right after the BBQ folks set up their lunch stand, but the heat apparently drove a lot of flyers back home toward mid afternoon.  By 4:00, a couple guys and myself had the place to ourselves.  

We were warned in the pilots' meeting that the swamps to the south east of the field were highly restricted conservation areas, and that the only hope of retrieving a downed plane from there was to contact the local authorities to see if they'd make an effort to bring it out.

The other sides had some fairly heavy woods, so it was a good idea to keep the babies in close. 

The Flightmasters' Fun-Fly near Fort Smith, Arkansas 3_1710

The Flightmasters' Fun-Fly near Fort Smith, Arkansas 2_0310

Them Drone People

The Flightmasters' Fun-Fly near Fort Smith, Arkansas 1_5110

The Flightmasters' Fun-Fly near Fort Smith, Arkansas 1_610

This Goonie Bird had some trim issues on take-off, but recovered, and put in some very stately passes.

The Flightmasters' Fun-Fly near Fort Smith, Arkansas 1_510

The Flightmasters' Fun-Fly near Fort Smith, Arkansas 2_0210

Eventually got my stuff together and launched some flights, with only one near-miss...that was just about as close as I'd ever care to see:

The Flightmasters' Fun-Fly near Fort Smith, Arkansas 3_1610

I knew we'd gotten close, but was shocked when the GoPro showed how close I came to ruining a guy's day.

Drones had been buzzing around all day and I guess I'd gone deaf to them.  Right after a flight with my 3 Meter B.O.T., a young man named Reed walked up and said he had videoed some of the sailplane's flight.  I had no idea his drone was up there, and was REAL surprised and happy when he volunteered to let me down-load the footage.

The Flightmasters' Fun-Fly near Fort Smith, Arkansas 6_110

The Flightmasters' Fun-Fly near Fort Smith, Arkansas 6_010

It was great.  I'm still crunching the video, and will post footage soon.  I had unknowingly caught his drone in a couple frames from the GoPro the B.O.T. was packing.

The Flightmasters' Fun-Fly near Fort Smith, Arkansas 4_310

Wish I'd gotten the young pilot's info so I could send a proper Thank You, but am gonna post to the site and thank him there.

Some random photos:

The Flightmasters' Fun-Fly near Fort Smith, Arkansas Dsc_0011

The Flightmasters' Fun-Fly near Fort Smith, Arkansas Dsc_0014

The Flightmasters' Fun-Fly near Fort Smith, Arkansas Dsc_0012

The Flightmasters' Fun-Fly near Fort Smith, Arkansas Dsc_0013

The Flightmasters' Fun-Fly near Fort Smith, Arkansas Dsc_0010

The Flightmasters' Fun-Fly near Fort Smith, Arkansas 3_010

The Flightmasters' Fun-Fly near Fort Smith, Arkansas 4_010

The Flightmasters' Fun-Fly near Fort Smith, Arkansas 5_210

The Flightmasters' Fun-Fly near Fort Smith, Arkansas 3_1810

The Flightmasters' Fun-Fly near Fort Smith, Arkansas 7_110

Tuesday morning...just me and some assorted critters...

The Flightmasters' Fun-Fly near Fort Smith, Arkansas Sam_2310

Ought to have some video finished soon...as I fight this incredible urge to buy myself a drone !

Last edited by Kim on Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:03 pm

Oh, the drone urge is for real. I wrote "Pervasive" at first, but that's unfair, the little machines can be used for so much fun, like you witness at the fly-ins. I watched a C/L stunt ship flying a pattern through the lens of a multirotor, and it's amazing at the different things you see from all the possible perspectives. Like a vertical 8 from 300' over the pilot. It betrays the reality of the hidden hemisphere we fly with strings and wires inside of.

Kim, I'm glad you are getting around and taking advantage of your freedom to roam. It makes me feel good to know my buddies are out there making life go on.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:28 pm

RknRusty wrote:

Kim, I'm glad you are getting around and taking advantage of your freedom to roam. It makes me feel good to know my buddies are out there making life go on.
Rusty

Thanks Rusty !! I just hope you still feel that way when you look out your front window and see me in your driveway !!!

(---Don't sweat the 'Cousin Eddie Scenario'...I don't even own a bathrobe!!!---)
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:17 pm

RknRusty wrote:Oh, the drone urge is for real. I wrote "Pervasive" at first, but that's unfair, the little machines can be used for so much fun, like you witness at the fly-ins. I watched a C/L stunt ship flying a pattern through the lens of a multirotor, and it's amazing at the different things you see from all the possible perspectives. Like a vertical 8 from 300' over the pilot. It betrays the reality of the hidden hemisphere we fly with strings and wires inside of.
Rusty

Your comment jarred my memory:  I'd actually scanned this with you in mind back when you were really getting into pattern work, but forgot to post it.  It's a decidedly low-tech, old-school (like 1963) version of your drone-provided perspective of a stunter's patterns.

The Flightmasters' Fun-Fly near Fort Smith, Arkansas 1_10

The Flightmasters' Fun-Fly near Fort Smith, Arkansas 2_10

Flintstone Kim
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:02 pm

Kim wrote:
RknRusty wrote:

Rusty

Thanks Rusty !!  I just hope you still feel that way when you look out your front window and see me in your driveway !!!

(---Don't sweat the 'Cousin Eddie Scenario'...I don't even own a bathrobe!!!---)
I've got those white shoes for you that you liked so much. You can put them on as soon as you get here and wear them out to Fort Jax. The Rangers will love 'em. And you'll no doubt be ready for a cold one, so you can have a slug of my Bud, Lol.

I'm hitting the sack and will read your next post with the bowling ball and wires in the morning.

Later,
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down