Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Was someone here after a Gilbert? Cox_ba12

Was someone here after a Gilbert? Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by Boats13 Today at 10:19 am

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by Yabby Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Yesterday at 8:20 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

» On ebay a very special Cox engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 6:32 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Was someone here after a Gilbert? Empty
Live on Patrol

Was someone here after a Gilbert?

Go down

Was someone here after a Gilbert? Empty Was someone here after a Gilbert?

Post  Oldenginerod Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:20 am

http://www.ebay.com/itm/322231190239?rmvSB=true

Looks like a good deal for those in the U.S.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Was someone here after a Gilbert? Empty Re: Was someone here after a Gilbert?

Post  Cribbs74 Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:27 pm

I can think of better ways to spend my money... Wink

Seriously though, hope whomever was looking sees this. Say, is that tool in the photo for Gilberts? I have a couple and have no idea what they are for.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:50 pm

For anyone who likes to collect obscure and unusual engines, $15 is an absolute bargain, assuming the engine is in running condition.  If somone is looking for an engine to use for performance, give it a miss.  If you want a period-correct engine to put is a vintage plane that just needs to look the part & go 'round & 'round, you will get a satisying experience.  They start well, they run well, they sound nice, they look unique, what more do you want?

Apart from the prop, all the accessories offered with the engine look original Gilbert.  The tool suits both the .07 & the .11.  That fuel tank & line were supplied with the engine new, as was the flying line & associated screws.  As I said, prop doesn't look Gilbert, but everything else in the picture came with the engine from new.

Last edited by Oldenginerod on Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:18 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:38 pm

He he,

Don't poke the bear, I appreciate the info on the wrenches. Hope you know I was just playing around. No doubt Gilberts look the part. Reminds me of the MG's I have owned, they look fast, but not so much.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:44 pm

Cribbs74 wrote:He he,

Don't poke the bear, I appreciate the info on the wrenches. Hope you know I was just playing around. No doubt Gilberts look the part. Reminds me of the MG's I have owned, they look fast, but not so much.

Ron

No, I didn't think you were having a shot.  There was quite a bit of talk about Gilberts a while back and I figured at the price someone might snap it up.  Heck, I would (not that I need another one) if the seller would actually sell it to a foreign infidel Eyebrows
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:10 pm

Rod - the same seller has a size 11, with prop and "mufflers" or exhaust extensions. Do you know if they ( mufflers) fit both the 7 and 11 size?  
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gilbert-Airplane-11-Style-Motor-Porpeller-Vintage-2-/322231206389?hash=item4b067a01f5:g:DBwAAOSwgZ1XtHbA

Another seller is offering just the prop for a little less than the complete engine package.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/American-Flyer-AC-Gilbert-propeller-in-original-package-and-prop-spinner-/322230586222?hash=item4b06708b6e:g:X38AAOSwZVlXs8iP

Ron, if you want to part with one of those gilbert wrenches (cheep) let me know!
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:25 pm

No problem; I'll send it for the cost of shipping.

I was up in Mt. Clemons a couple months ago. If only I had known...
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:02 pm

Looks like a solid little engine. Heavy, I bet. .07 cui, I presume?

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:27 am

Marleysky wrote:Rod - the same seller has a size 11, with prop and "mufflers" or exhaust extensions. Do you know if they ( mufflers) fit both the 7 and 11 size?  No, the exhausts are different sizes.  11s will fit the 7s with a little overhang.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gilbert-Airplane-11-Style-Motor-Porpeller-Vintage-2-/322231206389?hash=item4b067a01f5:g:DBwAAOSwgZ1XtHbA

Another seller is offering just the prop for a little less than the complete engine package.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/American-Flyer-AC-Gilbert-propeller-in-original-package-and-prop-spinner-/322230586222?hash=item4b06708b6e:g:X38AAOSwZVlXs8iP
Steve (the guy selling the prop) is the one who's been selling complete NOS engine packages for years.  He's just about done after selling a couple of thousand engines.  These are genuine unopened new old stock.  For the collector.  While the original props run real well on their engines, Steve recommends not using them other than for display.  I've run several original props without a problem, but they are around 54 years old.

Rusty, yes they are a little heavy with the starter, but not bad in the flip-start version.  They are designated "7" and are actually .074 ci.  As I said, they are a real friendly engine except for the fragile glow heads.  With the intake & venturi at the rear they take little inexperienced fingers away from the prop, making them great for young'uns.  Being piston port they will run equally well in either direction.  I bit more nitro and a small prop and I've clocked one of my "7"s at around 17,000 rpm.   Even had one do a shaft-run when the prop worked loose.  Goodness only knows what revs that thing was pulling but man was it screaming?  No damage done, so they must be pretty tough.  They have a ball-socket rod to piston joint, so they could easily grenade at thos revs.

Some have compared them to the Fox "Rocket" .099.  While there are a lot of design similarities, I think the Gilberts are a much better engine performance wise, at least in comparison with my two FOX's which are really anaemic, not running anything like the size prop you'd expect for an .099.

Ron, I appreciate the offer, but I guess the complexity of the seller not exporting just helps reinforce my very fragile self-control.  I've got half a dozen already.  Why do I need another? Smile
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:01 am

Now if you really want to test your patience try this one. You will find words you didn't even know. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1962-GILBERT-THUNDERHEAD-11-Ignition-Conversion-Model-Airplane-Engine-NEW-/351824686123?hash=item51ea62ac2b:g:X2sAAOSwFV9XxmEQ
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:24 pm

Ken Cook wrote:Now if you really want to test your patience try this one. You will find words you didn't even know.     http://www.ebay.com/itm/1962-GILBERT-THUNDERHEAD-11-Ignition-Conversion-Model-Airplane-Engine-NEW-/351824686123?hash=item51ea62ac2b:g:X2sAAOSwFV9XxmEQ

Yeah, interesting exercise, but why would you bother making the engine less reliable than how it came out of the factory?

Last edited by Oldenginerod on Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:07 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:55 pm

Oldenginerod wrote:
Ken Cook wrote:Now if you really want to test your patience try this one. You will find words you didn't even know.     http://www.ebay.com/itm/1962-GILBERT-THUNDERHEAD-11-Ignition-Conversion-Model-Airplane-Engine-NEW-/351824686123?hash=item51ea62ac2b:g:X2sAAOSwFV9XxmEQ

Yeah, interesting exercise, but why would you bother making the engine less reliable than how it came out of the fasctory?

Like Ken said, so you can learn and use words not previously known!! lol!
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:19 pm

I'm sorta glad that I did not see that auction as I might have bid.

I have several Gilberts along with extra parts. Although I have never ran one, I consider them an essential part of collecting model aircraft engines.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:20 pm

I would think that this is geared towards the old time free flight . It would certainly swing a larger prop but I think that parts will start to shed at some point.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:23 am

Hi.  My name is Rod and I'm an engineaholic.

I can sometimes be my own worst enemy.  Even though the seller originally said he wouldn't send to Australia, I decided to pose the question, and just for fun, make him an offer on both the Gilbert 7 and the 11.  Not only did he agree to ship out here, he accepted my offer, so I now have two more Gilberts to add to the stable.
DAMMIT!
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:12 pm

Hello Rod, Welcome to the Engineacholics group. The 1st step to recovery is to recognize you enjoy buying engines. The 2nd step is to buy as many engines as you can get awaywith. 3rd step is to watch and then rewatch the video by your countryman Ivor F on you  tube. 4th step is to recognize there is no cure except to buy more engines. 5th step is to run your engines, in your hand, on a bench or in a plane. Clean 'em up, oil 'em up, get 'em ready to run again. I'm sure there are more steps, but I've not gone beyond step 5 before jumping over to the balsa alcoholic's group.

Nice job on snagging the Gilbert's, spare glow plugs, wrenches and tanks.GOOD Haul!
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:27 pm

Well it's nice to know that others understand Sad
Ah, Ivor F!!  Now there's something to aspire to lol!

By the way, $50 USD shipped for both engines with all the accessories isn't too bad me thinks.
I didn't save much on the asking price except for a few dollars off the shipping, which he eventually agreed to, but any engine shipped out here for $25 is about the least you can expect to pay.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down