Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register! Guests are limited to posting in the "General Questions (Guest Posting Allowed)" section only. Becoming a member is fast, easy and FREE!

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» "Flying Blind" a build-thread for CEF 2018 Speed
by roddie Yesterday at 11:53 pm

» 1/2A Non-Contest Control Line Gathering
by Kim Yesterday at 11:45 pm

» Cox 15 piston reset tool loaner program
by rhyslegge Yesterday at 11:39 pm

» Recent engine acquisitions
by 1/2A Nut Yesterday at 10:15 pm

» RknRusty - StillBurnin
by xplaneguy Yesterday at 9:32 pm

» Yet Another Impromptu Run to the National Model Aviation Museum in Muncie, Indiana
by dckrsn Yesterday at 6:15 pm

» And Now, Parked in Newton, Illinois...
by Kim Yesterday at 6:07 pm

» Happy Birthday TDBandit
by balogh Yesterday at 1:50 pm

» Nick and Nora arrive
by roddie Yesterday at 8:47 am

» testors mccoy running poorly video
by roddie Yesterday at 8:13 am

Cox Engine of The Month
November-2017
MauricioB's

"Cox Tee Dee .010"

PAST WINNERS
Speed Contest 2018
CEF Traveling Engine

Gallery

Win This Engine!
The Traveling Prop
World of Aviation

flat framed construction

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

thread-bump for Bernie

Post  roddie on Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:26 pm

Hey ya'll. I hope some of you had a chance to go-over this thread. Bernie (Cox International) is willing to publish this concept in their quarterly e-magazine.

Richard (RKflyer) applied the concept.. to a couple of builds in this thread. I think you'd agree that they look great!

Just another point to make.. Two Cents  There are lots of sheet-wing (flat-wing..) 1/2A (as well as 1/4A..) airplane designs out there to build. Framing that wing can save on balsa. It also affords the application of a spar. Multiple clean-fitting frame pieces, make a flat-wing (frame) less-resistant to warping.. because of multiple grain-direction between the pieces. My flat-wing panels were all covered with TF Mono-Kote.. which is still drum-tight after 25 years. I can't speak for other covering-methods. This construction-method wouldn't warrant a doped rubbed-out finish any more than any little solid sheet-wing build would. It does provide for a different-approach to just butting two sheets of balsa together.. and trimming the perimeter to form the wing-profile. I installed a 1/8" x 1/2" stub-spar made from dark hardwood (walnut possibly) in my Rare Bear's wing. It was basically the leading-edge of the wing. I needed a scale/wing-mounted landing gear. This required making separate right and left gear-blocks.. also from hardwood.

The blocks were mounted to the bottom of that hardwood spar, to absorb the shock of a hard landing. I used to have a "one-method" approach to attaching 1/2A landing-gear. It was a single inverted "V-bent" music-wire gear, running-through the front of the wing-slot in the fuse.. and anchored by straps with screws through the ply fuse-doublers. That's the age-old approach to gear-installation on a c/l profile model.. that has gear.  Laughing  Plenty of flyers don't want landing-gear on their model. That's fine. A hard strip-wood spar in their wing will provide rigidity.. and could also serve as the ultimate bellcrank-mount.
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

View user profile http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Re: flat framed construction

Post  RknRusty on Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:05 am

You may discover you can actually make rolling landings without the usual 1/2A nose-over if the grass is reasonably smooth. I'll be interested to see how that works.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  gcb on Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:05 am

RknRusty wrote:You may discover you can actually make rolling landings without the usual 1/2A nose-over if the grass is reasonably smooth. I'll be interested to see how that works.
Rusty

What...and abandon the traditional "bounce 'n flip" landings made famous by "hollow logs" being flown over grass? Very Happy Very Happy Cool

George
gcb
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top