Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

So you are lazy and NEED a STOOGE for ROG planes Cox_ba12

So you are lazy and NEED a STOOGE for ROG planes Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Today at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by Yabby Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Yesterday at 8:20 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

» On ebay a very special Cox engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 6:32 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

So you are lazy and NEED a STOOGE for ROG planes Empty
Live on Patrol

So you are lazy and NEED a STOOGE for ROG planes

Go down

LOL So you are lazy and NEED a STOOGE for ROG planes

Post  fredvon4 Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:34 pm

Obviously all the designs are similar and very easy to copy

But then you see Brodak and Stunt Hanger hobby have them ready to use...well in the case of Brodak..sort of

Tom Morris at Stunt hanger Hobby has a fairly expensive one I have wanted for a while.

Earlier (about 5 years ago) I copied Rustie's bath mat version for 1/2a and combat wing plane launching

BUT then I started playing with Roll On Ground stunt planes and my Shop helpers do not have any thumbs

I got a cutting board...found the hardware in my STUFF, and also found some long Nails to keep it in place

I had considered getting the release from Brodak.

http://brodak.com/tru-launch-stooge.html

....but just could not justify the cost

and the project just never seemed to get done

Then the mail came today....MY son gave me a Late birthday present  (self serving as it is)

MY wife met the mail lady at the gate and hollered for me to come help as the BOX was HEAVY....no idea what it could be

On the porch we opened the package from Tom Morris to find a 1/2" thick plank of solid IRON with release mechanism and anti skid stair tread tape on the bottom

This item
http://stunthanger.com/hobby/product_info.php?cPath=28&products_id=95

Wife, shop helpers (with out thumbs), will watch me use it tomorrow at our local soccer field

I am gonna miss pestering my son to meet me at the field and launch my planes....but this stooge is very well made...
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

LOL Re: So you are lazy and NEED a STOOGE for ROG planes

Post  Marleysky Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:00 pm

All righty then....do you have a video camera??  We're waiting for pictures or movies.
Happy belated birthday!!  
Ya gonna give it a name? Moe, Larry or Shemp? lol!
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:41 pm

fredvon4 wrote:...Rustie's bath mat version...
Whoozat? Sounds like a girlieman Lol

fredvon4 wrote:....I am gonna miss pestering my son to meet me at the field and launch my planes....but this stooge is very well made...
Oh, so that's why it's self-serving. Lol again.

Watt has a spring-pin stooge embedded in a cement square at his field, but it rarely gets used. He got the flying jones one day not too long ago and cranked up a plane, pulled on the stooge release, yanked on the stooge release, and it wouldn't let go. Dang thing was rustied lol!
Rustie

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:51 pm

Nice stooge Fred. Sounds like it was a gift for you and your son.

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:26 pm

Congrats on the pin-stooge Fred! You'll be flying whenever you want now. Cool that it's made from an iron-plate! I thought about making a pin-stooge for use on pavement; by making a long-thin (4" x 18") plywood plate. There would be wallboard-screws protruding down from the bottom corners approx. 1/4".. for friction on asphalt. It would be weighted by an iron barbell-plate placed over a 1" dia. hardwood dowel-peg, fastened vertically to the rear of the stooge-plate. This would make it a "modular-system". A  five-pound plate would serve small models.. and more powerful models would use heavier plates.

As for the release-line.. (probably not included..) Think about making a wind-up real with 60-70 feet of release-line with an attachment-clip..  and you'll be ready to fly anything!
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:35 am

WOW Fred I gave it a name I would call it Heavy lol! That should keep those big planes from fling off ! Glad you got one This Site Rocks!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:27 am

Back story

My 35 YO son is local but I could only really encroach on his time early weekend mornings .... early on he was happy to play airplane with dad and fly a bit. But not really into it. After some flying we would head to the local dinner, get breakfast and BS about the near misses or crashes. I would form a plan to build a new model or repair the simple nose breaks. I will miss those moments most because he simply needs the weekend sleep when he might have the time off

He is successful Master Electrician and the company he is with promoted him. Now has his own commercial project, is the job foreman, got a company truck...the added responsibilities (and healthy pay also)... I can relate to this phase of employment..little or no time off for weeks or months at a whack

I get the idea about 15~20 yeas from now, after I am gone, he will retire and get a nostalgia bug like I did, trying to relive some of the old days helping my dad or flying as a teen age kid

fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:53 am

I don't like the thread title as "lazy" has nothing to do with needing a stooge.

Anyways, get a chalk line, new, preferably a nice die cast with rubber jacket type. Open it up and remove the string, install BRAIDED mason line, some good fluorescent color like pink. Spool on what it can hold, which will be around 100 ft, and put a clip on the end.

Have fun flying!

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:28 pm

Phil...I agree...title should have read..I am LAZY ----and not assumed all my CEF friends are similar to my procrastination habits

My pull sting started as a chalk line....like you suggest.... but I found a cool reel up brick layers bright yellow contraption that works very well

this link is pink but same item

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-18-x-250-ft-Pink-Braided-Nylon-Mason-Twine-with-Reloadable-Winder-72936/206094322

yep I am too lazy to find the yellow one....grin
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:24 pm

fredvon4 wrote:Back story

My 35 YO son is local but I could only really encroach on his time early weekend mornings .... early on he was happy to play airplane with dad and fly a bit. But not really into it. After some flying we would head to the local dinner, get breakfast and BS about the near misses or crashes. I will miss those moments most because he simply needs the weekend sleep when he might have the time off

He is successful Master Electrician and the company he is with promoted him. Now has his own commercial project, is the job foreman, got a company truck...

I get the idea about 15~20 yeas from now, after I am gone, he will retire and get a nostalgia bug like I did, trying to relive some of the old days helping my dad or flying as a teen age kid

Listen to this :  
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etundhQa724.   Crying or Very sad
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:14 pm

Phred.. your reply-post made me feel sad. I realize that you're happy for your Son's success.. but I sense an emptiness now.. not having him there to spend time flying/pitting together as you two have done, up until now. Always remember.. "we're here" to cheer you on.. and will look forward to reports on your using the stooge(s) to launch your creations! I've always been a "lone-flyer"...
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:35 pm

Marleysky, roddie

Sorry my post evoked sadness... not intended,

I am super happy I have all my kids alive, they are each successful, and adding to the soup we call America

Marleysky.....my internet is super slow today--
BUT I did not need to hit the YouTube link...
I knew exactly what song you were placing

Cat's n the Cradle, is one of my HATED but FAVORITE songs that accurately laments my own experience with my dad...an Army officer, who spent a lot of time overseas without family==
=== and at 18, myself drafted, and doing same for decades with wife and children

....we did both (dad and I) manage to retire and re-connect--for a few years ( not nearly as many as I desired)...

Then the Agent Orange Cancers took him, and now that song makes me cry like a baby each time I play it....(often)--
--The up side is, because of THAT song.... I refuse to relive the lyrics with my own family, and I cherish each and every moment I get to visit them and the grand children

My dear son spent the (way to much) $$$ for the stooge because he knew he could not be there for me, as often, and knows if I do not do these hobbies -I will de-volve into just another old drunk veteran....

We actually laugh about the stooge and my first outing with it resulted in a crashed plane he is helping me epoxy back to flying shape...
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:11 pm

roddie wrote:Phred.. your reply-post made me feel sad. I realize that you're happy for your Son's success.. but I sense an emptiness now.. not having him there to spend time flying/pitting together as you two have done, up until now. Always remember.. "we're here" to cheer you on.. and will look forward to reports on your using the stooge(s) to launch your creations! I've always been a "lone-flyer"...  

In my over 20 years of internet activity I have visited and participated in many, and I do mean many forums. When your hobby world is literarily planes, trains, and automobiles it's inevitable. But none has ever compared with this one. Talk about being unique.

Comparatively, we are a small group that for the most part know each other well, be that out front or reading between the lines. We are part support group and part solid wall where we bounce ideas off one another for better or worse. But perhaps the most important thing that we do here is that we support one another. Everyone that participates here is pretty special.

Unlike other forums I have never seen any ill will posted here or any intended criticisms directed toward a fellow member. I'm happy to be a small part of that.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:56 am

Bob

In a word

EXACTLY!
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

LOL Just spending a slow day waiting on glue to dry to revisit a few old post

Post  fredvon4 Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:05 pm

Just a thought from last night with wife...planning Thanksgiving and Christmas

and somewhere in there, are super (from work) friends who are celebrating their 50th wedding aniversary with a 300+/- person celebration that wife and I are intimately involved with ----orchestrating ----for Dec 9th

Each time I find myself loathing the ( I am the logistical expert) inevitable problems of this event----

I have to step back and REMEMBER....FAMILY...especially extended family (like CEF) is exceedingly important

I know it is a bit early, but some of you already have snow

WE truly wish all of our forum friends a great holiday season
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down