Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register! Guests are limited to posting in the "General Questions (Guest Posting Allowed)" section only. Becoming a member is fast, easy and FREE!

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Cox Engine of The Month
August-2017
balogh's

Throttle-Dees

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Tach Race 2017 Updates
Ready for Tach Race 2017?
Profile Scale Reed Speed
Gallery

Win This Engine!
The Traveling Prop
World of Aviation

gas station give-aways of years past

View previous topic View next topic Go down

gas station give-aways of years past

Post  roddie on Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:33 pm

Anybody remember these "Forgecraft" steak-knives? Either "Shell" or "Mobil" (I can't remember which) gave you one with a fill-up..

This one has been in the bottom of my tool-box(es) for over 30 years.. and for several years prior to that; in my Mom's kitchen drawer!

I cleaned it up for the photo.. Laughing It's the only one I have.. but I bet my mom still has a few with nice white handles!
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

View user profile http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Re: gas station give-aways of years past

Post  Ken Cook on Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:41 pm

Hmmm interesting, they would try and kill you with it here in these parts as soon as they received it. Certainly not something given away in Philadelphia.
Ken Cook
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky on Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:40 pm

Ooh take me back a few decades...1968,69 & 1970 I worked at a Marthon station as a "driveway salesman and grease monkey"  The intersection where I worked had Marathon, Shell, Sunoco and Texaco stations all directly across the street from each other!  Talk about competition!  Low prices and FULL service, plus the giveaways! I know I had a  half a lifetime supply of the  white glass BC "Grog" coffee mugs.  l also endeared myself to my future mother in law with all the "Mums" I brought to her while we had them as give a ways.   Nope don't remember any knife sets though. lol!
Marleysky
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

I Support My Forum

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac on Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:17 pm

Marleysky wrote:Ooh take me back a few decades...1968,69 & 1970 I worked at a Marthon station as a "driveway salesman and grease monkey"  The intersection where I worked had Marathon, Shell, Sunoco and Texaco stations all directly across the street from each other!  Talk about competition!  Low prices and FULL service, plus the giveaways! I know I had a  half a lifetime supply of the  white glass BC "Grog" coffee mugs.  l also endeared myself to my future mother in law with all the "Mums" I brought to her while we had them as give a ways.   Nope don't remember any knife sets though. lol!

Oooh!!! Grog mugs! Since you're still alive, you must still have a supply of those. Care tosend one my way?

The Hart Mark
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook on Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:00 am

Funny how the mentioning of gas station give away surfaced as I was just talking about that. Back in the 70's when I was waiting for Evel Knievel to jump the Colorado river, I was listening to a transistor Sunoco gas pump radio. My father gave me this cool little gas pump radio which had a wrist strap. I would bet that this was a give away item. I wish I still had it.  Seeing how Eddie Braun fulfilled his dream and re created Evel's jump last week successfully, I was thinking back on the original day in 74. I was gathered with my friends as we listened to the jump as it wasn't broadcasted on tv. Talking with my younger co worker who's 25, I said I remember that day like it was yesterday. I recalled listening to my transistor radio and he said " What is a transistor radio".
Ken Cook
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky on Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:21 am

batjac wrote:
Marleysky wrote:Ooh take me back a few decades...1968,69 & 1970 I worked at a Marthon station as a "driveway salesman and grease monkey"  The intersection where I worked had Marathon, Shell, Sunoco and Texaco stations all directly across the street from each other!  Talk about competition!  Low prices and FULL service, plus the giveaways! I know I had a  half a lifetime supply of the  white glass BC "Grog" coffee mugs.  l also endeared myself to my future mother in law with all the "Mums" I brought to her while we had them as give a ways.   Nope don't remember any knife sets though. lol!

Oooh!!!  Grog mugs! Since you're still alive, you must still have a supply of those.  Care tosend one my way?

The Hart Mark

Sorry Mark, that's why I said a "half life's worth", cause my better half requested that I not pack and move them to our "new" house back in 1999. Had to jettison a lot of my old stuff that didn't match our current dinnerware pattern. I recently had to dispose of my work shirt with the Marathon logo on one side and my name embroidered above the pocket on the other side. ( yeah, it was about 6" too short for the buttons to match in front! ) Ah, they're just pleasant memories now!  If I had one (grog mug) I'd definitely send it to you! I still read BC in the funnies.
Marleysky
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

I Support My Forum

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie on Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:38 pm

found this image on the web..

roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky on Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:54 pm

roddie wrote:found this image on the web..

Hey Roddie! Thanks for the picture....Yup them the one's. Beer Cheers
Marleysky
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

I Support My Forum

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie on Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:20 pm

Cool stuff for sure!! The Forgecraft knives (OP) were originally offered by "Shell" gas stations. Here's some other cool "free" things you could get from other gas stations..

Remember Gulf's "No-Nox"?

or how about putting a "tiger" in you tank? (Esso)

I remember my older cousin having a brand-new 1967 gold Pontiac GTO.. with one of these hanging from the fuel door!

How about Arco's (Atlantic-Richfield)  "Noah's Ark" collectibles? They were a cool thing when you were a little kid.. something to patiently wait for.. the next time your parents went to fuel-up!

How about these.. (Shell gas promo..)

Don't even get me started on Mattel's "Hot Wheels".. I think I already created a thread on die-cast miniatures.. and Hot Wheels dominated my playtime from age 8 (1968) thru.......... well... "gurlz"...  Laughing
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top