Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

It was a Cox kind of day Cox_ba12

It was a Cox kind of day Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by Boats13 Today at 10:19 am

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by Yabby Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Yesterday at 8:20 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

» On ebay a very special Cox engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 6:32 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

It was a Cox kind of day Empty
Live on Patrol

It was a Cox kind of day

Go down

It was a Cox kind of day Empty It was a Cox kind of day

Post  Cribbs74 Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:31 pm

I had a bit of good luck today, bought some Cox engines. Both early and both un-run or mounted. They would both be perfect if it wasn't for someone trying to remove the venturi nut with a hatchet and the wrong spinner on the other. Anyway here are a couple pictures.

It was a Cox kind of day Image19
It was a Cox kind of day Image20
It was a Cox kind of day Image18
It was a Cox kind of day Image17
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

It was a Cox kind of day Empty Re: It was a Cox kind of day

Post  roddie Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:40 pm

Geez.. those look beautiful Ron.. all six sets of photos! I never had to scroll-up! Laughing

My bad for commenting so soon... Where'd you find them?
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:49 pm

Yeah guess I hit the send all button more times than I should have. Found in Wichita KS. I have friends in high places... Eyebrows
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:28 pm

Really great to have scored the extra glow-head! Thumbs Up These are old engines.. aren't they? Obviously the .15 Olympic is.. but the Golden Bee has that "early" silver-gold hue to it's anodizing. Congratulations Ron! It's good to know that they will be well cared for!
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:43 pm

Those are beauties! I've always liked the early Golden Bees. I'm still waiting to run across an Olympic some day. Great finds!

Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:06 pm

Admin wrote:Those are beauties! I've always liked the early Golden Bees. I'm still waiting to run across an Olympic some day. Great finds!

HI Jacob, if you PM me your address I have an Olympic I would like to donate to CEF. I'll mail it to you.
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:43 am

That's just it, not really a collector, though I do have my fair share. Would want to make these runners. I have no Olympics so it makes the .15 set complete for me.

Getting aquainted with LHS's and flying clubs across the US opens doors that are otherwise closed. Ebay and online sniffing around do produce results, but the real deals are word of mouth on the streets. I caught wind of a box full of Cox engines for sale just today, I passed though as they want $675 to let it all go. The seller is an elderly CL pilot.

The Golden bee is immaculate and besides the spinner it's as new.

Roddie, plating, crankcase taper, cylinder shape and in this case glowhead all help to determine age.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:51 am

I like the Olympic - they are also very nice runners. I have a few but found on a couple of them (they were used) that the adonising on the venturi was easily marked and it was difficult to match the deep red gloss finish.

After two attempts, I gave up - further attempts would ruin the part. So I stripped the red and the blue - polished the engine and replaced the bearings.

It then looked really vintage but still stood out from the Sportsman. It then did a couple of years in a Sig Akromaster and logged 4hrs flying. It was returned to me a few months ago and is in my "waiting for something to be done to it" box.

It was returned because the young chap could no longer find a head for it but he has sent me three burnt out ones with it.

Heads are still available

http://coxengines.ca/cox-.15-tee-dee-glow-head.html

but depending on HMRC duty - between £15 and £30 for a glow head is a tad expensive in the UK. I will probably dieselise it.

ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:51 am

Ian, would you consider selling the Olympic you told about? SInce the Brexit business is not yet in effect, we wouldn't have to worry about customs and such. Not sure if you've ever sold an engine Wink , but if you would, please pm me with a price idea and I'll think.

I still have the .15 ball joint reset tool and also an extra head so it would be an easy project for me. Plus it would most likely be the only one of its kind in Finland Finland
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:05 pm

The Cox Olympic is one of my favourite engines until it comes to dismantling one.

Ron's quote is a classic "if it wasn't for someone trying to remove the venturi nut with a hatchet". Anyone simply trying to adjust the NVA position on a pristine Olympic must prepare for the worst.

Normally - adonising hardens aluminium and produces a protective surface that prevents oxidisation.

Two issues occur on the Olympic - no three issues.

1. The aluminium of the venturi is relatively soft.
2. Adonising increases the size

Following this - a normal spanner doesn't fit and you are faced with two choices. You use the correct sized spanner as you would with a Sportsman but that will take the adonising off the flats as you force it on or you find a spanner amongst your collection the is a nice sliding fit and then proceed to take the corners off.

The best approach is to use and adjustable spanner but even these are difficult to set accurately and the jaws are rarely parallel.

Oh yes - the third issue. Even if you use - say leather strips for protection - and maintain what you think is a nice tight fit - The male and shemale threads (Is that PC?) are also swollen by the adonising and after many, many years are bonded tight.

It takes some force to remove the venturi and, even then, the NVA will be rammed on tight.

The backplate is also soft and the adonising thick and pronounced. Even with the correct tools and a very attentive workshop helper - it is difficult not the mar the red finish on an Olympic.

This is typical and looks like it had been done to adjust the NVA

It was a Cox kind of day Olympi18

Even when you have the "correct" tools and an attentive workshop helper and an already damaged finish - it is difficult not to apply a few more scratches.

It was a Cox kind of day Olympi19

Though needs must if you need to replace the reed!

The Olympic like the Sportsman and the Space Hopper - with the rear needle and venturi are all first flick starters once primed.

ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:04 am

Could be that in those days Cox used softer alloy. I was trying to clean up  the spinner of my early Tee Dee .15, and with just a couple of seconds of rubbing it got an almost "too shiny" finish. Soft alloy polished easily.  

Also the venturi of this same engine was difficult to get loose without messing up the flats more than they already were. The carb body was split and glued, that held the venturi pretty tight but still it should have taken a little bit more than that to almost mangle it. Fortunately it is natural colour so I could hide most of the damage.

EDIT: Nice finds, both of them, Ron!
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:52 pm

Thanks Kari, I'll keep my eye open for a new venturi nut.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down