Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register! Guests are limited to posting in the "General Questions (Guest Posting Allowed)" section only. Becoming a member is fast, easy and FREE!

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Cox Engine of The Month
August-2017
balogh's

Throttle-Dees

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Tach Race 2017 Updates
Ready for Tach Race 2017?
Profile Scale Reed Speed
Gallery

Win This Engine!
The Traveling Prop
World of Aviation

The "Roamobile" 6 x 6 ATV

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The "Roamobile" 6 x 6 ATV

Post  roddie on Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:40 pm

We all have childhood memories that are dear to our hearts. In 1971.. I was 11 years old.. and a neighborhood kid got this 6-wheeled skid-steer buggy that was like a miniature-size version of the ATV that some may remember from the "Banana-Splits" Saturday morning TV show of that era. Many of you remember the various "amphibious" 6 x 6 ATV's of the 70's.. but this little vehicle was for kids. It was small.. but relatively sophisticated for what it was.. and had a small-displacement 4-cycle OHV horizontal-shaft rear-engine with a "bicycle-chain size" drive system.. and belts/pulleys for the skid-steering (?) with a control/linkage not unlike the "big-boy" machines. It was not amphibious though.

I remember seeing the buggy when he first got it. The plastic-body was molded in red.. and when he started it up and drove it around his yard.. I was in awe!  Shocked It literally could turn on a dime! It seemed to be pretty fast too.

Fast-forward to today; I tried to research it.. but there isn't much info on the internet about it. The engine is said to be a Tecumseh.. but there are reports of it being a Briggs & Stratton. The tires were apparently "plastic".. but I don't remember them being plastic. They seemed more like pneumatic tires.. but that was a LONG time ago. The manufacturer was supposedly a company called "2000 Inc." and it's size is stated to compare with today's "Power-Wheels" kid's ride-ons. Again; it seemed bigger to me when I was a kid.

Here's a vid I found on YouTube..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbpeQAxIQQ4

The "stock" chassis.. (I think..) shows a large sprocket/high-gear ratio adjacent to what looks like a typical small displacement side-shaft engine-mount, probably utilizing a centrifugal-clutch.

Research done today.. would suggest that the "stock-version" of the buggy powered the 4 rear-wheels.. and the front-pair were free-wheeling for speeds between 8-10 mph. A hop-up kit was however available.. that powered all 6 wheels.. included a skid-plate and increased the speed to 18-20 mph! The "stock-engine" was stated in one thread to be between 2-3HP. I would think that the hop-up kit would have included at least a 5HP engine... but there's little info. that I could find. The kid who owned the one that I remember... I may be able to contact for more info. although I haven't seen him in 45 years... but research claims he own's a garage/repair-shop in our home-town; the same town that I work in.

That was a place in time ( the early 70's) where "mini-bikes" were the cool thing to have. I had one... a "Toyoco" bike that was very cool-looking.. but was cheaply-made. It was the type that could be bought in department-stores at the time.. and mine was second-hand. It had a Tecumseh 5HP engine/centrifugal-clutch/chain-drive that threw the chain constantly..

It looked exactly like this one..

It was EXTREMELY frustrating as a kid.. because my dad wasn't mechanically inclined.. and I didn't know how to source a new clutch-bell.. which was worn and wobbly.

My other friend up the street had a "Rupp" mini-bike that would turn circles around mine..

It looked exactly like this one..

His also had a 5HP engine.. (Briggs & Stratton..) but it had a torque-converter (snow-mobile) type drive... and his was new.. Laughing

One thing I've ALWAYS wanted since I was a kid.. was a go-cart. I absolutely LoVe driving them around a track.. and do so whenever I get the chance. My younger brother managed to put one together about the time I first got married.. Rolling Eyes and single-handedly terrorized the town of Franklin, Ma with it! It was impounded on one occasion.. where he got caught driving it through the center of town! Eyebrows He put-together a nice one for my nephew a few years ago.

There's a place in Braintree, MA called "F1 Boston".. and if you like this kind of stuff.. I highly recommend that you pay a visit if you're in the area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgalEs-GQ1Q

info
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

View user profile http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top