Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

cox 049 endurance record?  - Page 2 Cox_ba12

cox 049 endurance record?  - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Cox powered boat litle shrimp hidroplane
by davidll1984 Today at 2:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Today at 1:39 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Today at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by Yabby Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

cox 049 endurance record?  - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

cox 049 endurance record?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

cox 049 endurance record?  - Page 2 Empty Re: cox 049 endurance record?

Post  JPvelo Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:31 pm

I agree with Roddie, simple is better.
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:18 pm

Sounds awfully interesting. I have to admit, and y'all know it too, I'm one of the known slackers. Though I did well in the Reed Speed contest and the Traveling prop and Engine, and participated a couple of times in the Tach Race. So maybe there's hope for me, let's see what y'all come up with.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:57 pm

JPvelo wrote:I agree with Roddie, simple is better.

Yes.. and I hope that this gathers more interest. Perhaps the event should be re-named with "duration" being the key element.. rather than endurance. It is a test of both though.. except we'd be lifting an airframe.. not running an engine on a test-stand.

How could this commence? Some research on airfoils and high-wing designs would be a good place to start. Actually; reading through info in the below web-link, will no-doubt help you to understand the concept.

http://www.charleslindbergh.com/history/sec/

Secondly.. researching the lightest-weight materials for the entire aircraft. A 41" wing-span, I believe would make a 1" scale subject if you were to build a scale-model Ryan M1. (I need to read more) There are PDF downloads available of the original airplane. Whether that scaling is the way to proceed depends totally on the entire design. Some interested modelers may choose to go with a more modern design. It doesn't really matter.. because someone will have an airplane that's able to fly for a longer period of time!

Years ago.. I put some thought into RTP (round the pole..) control-line flight, that involved building a center-circle fixture to replace the pilots' needing to turn with the model. It involved a fixed-line and naturally the other being movable. A "yoke" would need to be designed to make this possible. A level-only flight-path would simplify such a system.. with offsets built-into the model to help maintain line-tension while flying in calm-weather conditions. The models' extra fuel-weight would help early-on with the flight.. given centrifugal-forces, but once fuel-weight is consumed, the model must still be controllable. Relief-pilots would be fine too.. but it would be great to control/observe the flight from outside the circle.. especially if your design is capable of flying for several; 5,10,15 or more minutes! Scale-mileage could be calculated by your line-length too! There's a lot of plusses to a an event such as this. Any one of us could have our own little place marked in the Cox-engine/powered-model record-books!
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:32 pm

I had a TD on a Brodak 1/2A Pathfinder which would easily do the full pattern and more. I could achieve 10-12 minute flights without even blinking an eye. If your looking for endurance, set the time high. 15 minutes is nothing in terms of endurance.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:07 pm

No kidding. I'm not going to say what I'd build, but I promise you I can take a Snickers or two out there with a lawn chair and put up a flight that will be competitive. lol!

Is it going to be any Cox .049?
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:44 am

RknRusty wrote:
Is it going to be any Cox .049?

Rusty

I's say yes to that.. (and maybe the .051 too..) Modify it any way you like.. but I wouldn't go for any high-power mods. I don't know what size the venturi-diameter is on the Texaco reed-valve engine. Is it the standard Bee's .062"? Maybe clone a Texaco-configured engine.. and compare the bench-run times/fuel-consumption with a standard Bee using the same conditions/variables.. (prop/fuel/temp.. etc.) You can drill a hole in the side of an old spare 5cc tank and run your feed-line through it for connecting to a larger fuel tank. The postage-stamp and horseshoe backplates would be easier to run a fuel-line to a large tank.. but have larger venturis than the Bee-engines.. therefore, they might not be an economical choice for fuel-economy. Huh...

I doubt that a rotary-valve engine will achieve the economy of a reed-valve.. but who knows? Maybe a Medallion could? It would probably be an advantage to use a fine-thread NVA where possible.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:00 am

After a little research.. it seems that the Cox Texaco (8cc tank)/Texaco Jr. (5cc tank..) do have a smaller venturi than that of the standard Bee engine's .062" size. How much smaller I don't know. Cox International (Bernie) or EX Model engines (Matt) could tell us for sure.

Maybe one could experiment with an old spare Zamac Bee backplate.. by reducing the outer air-intake diameter. One way to do this would be to drill some smaller "subject-diameter" holes (.050", .047" etc.)  near the edge of a sheet of .005" sheet-brass and pop-out a disc using a standard paper hole-punch, then attach/glue the disc on-center over the backplate screen. There are other ways to do it.. but you need to be mindful not to close-off the needle-valve's spray-hole if for instance; you choose to "fill" the backplate's air-hole, then drill-out the filler material.

I also looked through the CEF "Cox Cylinder Identification" page.. HERE.. and it appears that the Texaco engine does not use any unique "porting" in its cylinder. There wasn't a cylinder "number" listed that was specific to the Texaco engine either.

So.. if one wanted to configure a Texaco "clone" engine; they'd need to start by providing/making the correct size air-intake, obtaining a correctly-ported cylinder, obtaining a 5-fin glow-head, a 7" x 3.5" prop.. and a freshly re-set ball/socket joint on the piston/rod. As far as "fuel" is concerned.. that's anybody's guess.  

Here's some really cool info I found when searching Cox Texaco Fuel through Google. It naturally deals with "Free-Flight".. but provides some VERY interesting info on how one man and his dad set up their engines/airplanes, model-weights, fuel/props used.  

http://scamps.homestead.com/Texaco_Secrets.pdf
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:57 pm

For any member that doesn't want to spin around - it can be remote controlled and still be "control line"

cox 049 endurance record?  - Page 2 Dsc00514

To take into account any wind and keep the lines taught

cox 049 endurance record?  - Page 2 Dsc00515

Dieselise the engine and reduce the venturi size - should yield 40 - 50% increase in engine run time.
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2