Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register! Guests are limited to posting in the "General Questions (Guest Posting Allowed)" section only. Becoming a member is fast, easy and FREE!

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» GSCB meet this Sunday
by GWILLIEFOX Today at 7:00 am

» The Breezy Hill Flyers "Black Fly-Day" Event !!!
by Kim Today at 6:46 am

» *** Double SIGH ***
by Kim Today at 5:15 am

» 1/2A Non-Contest Control Line Gathering
by Kim Today at 5:02 am

» Drill Press Question
by Jason_WI Today at 2:06 am

» Rebuild videos?
by Sunbird Today at 1:24 am

» Submarine ARA San Juan Lost in the sea ....
by batjac Today at 1:14 am

» testors mccoy running poorly video
by batjac Today at 1:10 am

» Phishing email from someone posing as you
by RknRusty Today at 12:51 am

» Recent engine acquisitions
by MauricioB Yesterday at 10:08 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
November-2017
MauricioB's

"Cox Tee Dee .010"

PAST WINNERS
Speed Contest 2018
CEF Traveling Engine

Gallery

Win This Engine!
The Traveling Prop
World of Aviation

Brass wrench

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Brass wrench

Post  Controlliner on Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:20 am

Here is a brass wrench I made for the old cylinders. This prevents distortion and burrs in the cylinder. This came in handy for rework on Mouse Class engines.
Controlliner
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Brass wrench

Post  crankbndr on Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:30 am

Nice wrench, certainly better than the pliers some folks used years ago. I think ill try to make one, looks so simple a Caveman could do it. Laughing
You ever try one made from aluminum?
crankbndr
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

I Support My Forum

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Surfer_kris on Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:01 am

The problem is not so much the wrench it self, as it is a construction problem with the cylinders. There is simply not enough meat in the cylinders (towards the transferports) at the pressure points of the wrench...
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Controlliner on Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:59 am

Surfer_kris wrote:The problem is not so much the wrench it self, as it is a construction problem with the cylinders. There is simply not enough meat in the cylinders (towards the transferports) at the pressure points of the wrench...
I've used it on the Thin Walled TD cylinders for Super Mouse class and the new cylinders would not become burred or distorted. I have tried aluminum, 6061 T6 and 7075 T4 but the wrenches cracked. As you all know a cylinder is torqued lightly anyways like Roy Cox would recommend. I have had samples that were over torqued and this came in handy.
Controlliner
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Controlliner on Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:02 pm

crankbndr wrote:Nice wrench, certainly better than the pliers some folks used years ago. I think ill try to make one, looks so simple a Caveman could do it. Laughing
It is easy as you say, on a three axis mill. I milled the slot thinner to accommodate the cylinders used on the car models, these has zero SPI and a real narrow exhaust. about .050 I think.
Controlliner
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr on Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:19 pm

Controlliner wrote:
crankbndr wrote:Nice wrench, certainly better than the pliers some folks used years ago. I think ill try to make one, looks so simple a Caveman could do it. Laughing
It is easy as you say, on a three axis mill. I milled the slot thinner to accommodate the cylinders used on the car models, these has zero SPI and a real narrow exhaust. about .050 I think.

Thats why I'm a Caveman, all I have is flat stock, hack saw, file and grinder. Shocked Very Happy
crankbndr
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

I Support My Forum

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  gcb on Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:18 am

This is from memory so it may not be completely accurate but as I remember it the original wrenches that came with the Space Bug, Thermal Hopper, and Space Bug Junior worked well if you carefully inserted the wrench into the cylinder slots. It was when one carelessly let the wrench slip burrs would occur.

Later when the cylinder walls were made thicker the slots in the wrench were not quite wide enough so they were made just a little bit wider. These wrenches could be used in the older cylinders but you had to be very careful with them.

Before the flats were cut on top of the cylinders, there was a period when the slots were covered with either screening or slotted sheet metal. During this time two methods that I tried successfully were either to use leather wrapped around the fins and pliers (UGH!) used for removal or to drill a hole the diameter of the cylinder fins in a piece of wood (Pine), then saw the wood through the hole so you have two pieces. Attach a clamp and twist. Sawing the wood removed just enough to allow the fins to bite into the wood to hold the cylinder.

Here are some of my Cox wrenches. I'm afraid I don't have any of the original ones:

gcb
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top