Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Jim Walker Royal Spitfire, curious and a little strange Cox_ba12

Jim Walker Royal Spitfire, curious and a little strange Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Cox Engine of The Month
November-2021
MauricioB's

".049 Babe Bee "in action""

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Forum Store
CEF Ear Savers
Gallery

Jim Walker Royal Spitfire, curious and a little strange Empty

Jim Walker Royal Spitfire, curious and a little strange

Go down

Jim Walker Royal Spitfire, curious and a little strange Empty Jim Walker Royal Spitfire, curious and a little strange

Post  rsv1cox Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:12 am

I really haven't seen this arrangement before. A restricted exhaust and venturi in this fashion used together. I love the little "hat" over the intake, reminds me of one of those little mechanical monkeys.

Looking at Eric's engine I see that his has an arm on the exhaust restricter that mine does not have.

Jim Walker Royal Spitfire, curious and a little strange Jw_roy10

Jim Walker Royal Spitfire, curious and a little strange Jw_roy13

Jim Walker Royal Spitfire, curious and a little strange Jw_roy11

Jim Walker Royal Spitfire, curious and a little strange Jw_roy14

Jim Walker Royal Spitfire, curious and a little strange Jw_roy12

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2019 Supporter

2020 Supporter

2021 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Jim Walker Royal Spitfire, curious and a little strange Empty Re: Jim Walker Royal Spitfire, curious and a little strange

Post  pkrankow Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:36 am

I have seen that before... but never running. Old school throttle!

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Jim Walker Royal Spitfire, curious and a little strange Empty Re: Jim Walker Royal Spitfire, curious and a little strange

Post  gcb Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:16 pm

These types of throttles were used in the early/mid fifties. Some used one or the other, some used both. Many throttles during that time were home-made.

Might it be missing an actuator arm on the rear of the exhaust baffle?

I have a couple of "Royal Spitfire" .065's but they are CL...never saw this throttle before. Neat!

George
gcb
gcb
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:18 am

Yes the actuator arm is missing from the rear , you could easily make one , i don't see why anyone would take that off but then again ? .... Jim Walker Royal Spitfire, curious and a little strange Jim_wa11  Jim Walker Royal Spitfire, curious and a little strange Tony_r10 well i havent been up long , but if i keep getting this out the box i am going to have to CLEAN IT ! lol!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2019 Supporter

2020 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:12 pm

Thanks for the pix Eric. It looks like these were meant to have an intergral tank attached to the back. What's that clip attached to the tank mount? "Darn Bob, ya mean I gotta get this outta the box again"> Smile Smile

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2019 Supporter

2020 Supporter

2021 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:42 pm

Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:46 am

Thanks for the link Mark, (book marked) Bob , didn't have to get it out the box this time sitting right here lol That clip would be the hose holder i did clean it a little with some carb cleaner and the red is gone now also the throttle control moves freely , but still locked up .... Is there a plan out there for the FireBee ? i looked at the outerzone and not that one but another the FireBall but takes a larger engine...  http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=5746  Here is a Better pic Bob , .. Jim Walker Royal Spitfire, curious and a little strange Red_ba10
Jim Walker Royal Spitfire, curious and a little strange Red_ba11
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2019 Supporter

2020 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:14 pm

If you had an RC channel to spare.. you could use two nano-servos to tune the restriction of either the exhaust and intake. A computer radio could probably be programmed for exponential-mixes and saved with data on the set-up; prop, fuel, air-quality/temperature.. etc.

It "was" a primitive early means of throttling.. and a definite compromise.. having a solid linkage between the two.. but in those years; radio components weighed a small ton in proportion to the rest of the model. Not anymore... It's too bad really. I think that the IC model engine; regardless of displacement, has always produced scale-like power.. if not well in excess. It's performance in an RC model has always been hampered by the weight of the radio.

I would hope to see an insurgence of 1/2A scale RC flying models, having throttled-engines. I have a Sterling Fokker DR1 kit mostly built.. awaiting structural-upgrades for the installation of an Ace-throttled Cox Babe-Bee with tank-bypass/external fuel pick-up to a Sullivan #435 1oz. clunk-tank. I could never fly it.. but I know that I could build-it to be flown. I honestly love the building side of the hobby.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum