Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register! Guests are limited to posting in the "General Questions (Guest Posting Allowed)" section only. Becoming a member is fast, easy and FREE!

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Cox Engine of The Month
November-2017
MauricioB's

"Cox Tee Dee .010"

PAST WINNERS
Speed Contest 2018
CEF Traveling Engine

Gallery

Win This Engine!
The Traveling Prop
World of Aviation

Cox Glow Plug Clip Question

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Cox Glow Plug Clip Question

Post  fargophil on Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:10 pm

In the Quarterly newsletter I read today there is an interesting article about improving the Cox Glow Plug Clip. Paul stated he increased the wire size to cut down on resistance which does make a lot of sense. My question is how do you do that. Looking at the two clips I have there does not appear to be any easy way to get the contacts out of the yellow plastic or is there a trick I am not aware of?
fargophil

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cox Glow Plug Clip Question

Post  NEW222 on Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:19 pm

I, myself, just pushed them through. Push from the wire side to the clip side. I then carefully took the clip and pried up the 'tab', cleaned up the clip well. I then applied flux and soldered on a good long piece of heavy gauge speaker wire. I then pushed it back in the same as I pushed it out. Then I cut a tiny piece of 1/32 or 1/16 plywood and shoved it between the two contacts. Hope this help some.
NEW222
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky on Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:00 pm

fargophil wrote:In the Quarterly newsletter I read today there is an interesting article about improving the Cox Glow Plug Clip. Paul stated he increased the wire size to cut down on resistance which does make a lot of sense. My question is how do you do that. Looking at the two clips I have there does not appear to be any easy way to get the contacts out of the yellow plastic or is there a trick I am not aware of?

YUP! There is a " Trick to it"  Like or similar to automotive connections there is a Little tiny "Tab" that locks the copper pieces into the Plastic holder.  Use a small flat tipped screwdriver to push the tab down and you'll be able too pull the copper connectors out>  I used a Dental Pick to depress the tab and a plastic grip pliers to hold and pull the copper out of the yellow plastic.  If you Look into the Clip from the wire side you'll see  the tab on the opposite side of the wire connection on each copper piece.

Dang, I've almost got it done, Larger wire and solder BINGO back in the GLow Again!!
Marleysky
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

I Support My Forum

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook on Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:23 am

Keep in mind that when you do use a larger wire, they're going to be very close to each other internally. It becomes very easy for the two to touch inside the yellow body. I also recommend that you use good fitting heat shrink tube back onto the wires for about 2 inches. This keeps the solder joint from failing.
Ken Cook
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 on Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:39 am

I like that idea Ken. Never thought of that. Seems a lot better than my little piece of wood I put between the two contacts.
NEW222
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top