Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Cleaned up and ready for prime time - Page 2 Cox_ba12

Cleaned up and ready for prime time - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Cox powered boat litle shrimp hidroplane
by davidll1984 Today at 2:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Today at 1:39 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Today at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by Yabby Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Cleaned up and ready for prime time - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

Cleaned up and ready for prime time

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Cleaned up and ready for prime time - Page 2 Empty Re: Cleaned up and ready for prime time

Post  Surfer_kris Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:58 pm

If the intake timing is symmetrical around 45° before TDC then the same mod will work on any engine with a removable front (such a the HB for instance). I have only measured the timing on the Enya .09 IV myself, and it is indeed perfectly symmetrical around that 45° point. So by rotating it 90° (in the running direction) it will be centered around 45° after TDC, and hence an identical timing to before the mod if the engine now spins the other way around.

I don't think that all the larger engines are that symmetrical, but probably they are close enough to give about the same performance in either set-up.
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Cleaned up and ready for prime time - Page 2 Empty Re: Cleaned up and ready for prime time

Post  rsv1cox Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:51 pm

I'm going to try it Kris on a few on my Enyas from a .09 on up just to satisfy my curiosity. I have a few McCoy's too with four bolt front ends, but I'm not sure if the top and bottom holes are equidistant.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:40 pm

Bob,

Glad to see you ran that .29 I wouldn't worry about that trash you sucked in. Unless it was full of sand or metal shavings it just got burned up and spit out. Enyas are tough. I have a later model .29 5224? That was in similar shape mounted in a Bi-Slob. I fueled that crusty tank up and ran all the crap through the engine. It ran very well!

I need to keep my eye out for a couple of those, you may have some competition on E-bay Laughing just kidding, I always ask before I bid if I know someone else is looking.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:08 am

Cribbs74 wrote:Bob,

Glad to see you ran that .29 I wouldn't worry about that trash you sucked in. Unless it was full of sand or metal shavings it just got burned up and spit out. Enyas are tough. I fueled that crusty tank up and ran all the crap through the engine. It ran very well!

Ron

I have an Enya .15 mounted to an old Spitfire that has been through several shifts & hadn't run for 35 years.  Never cleaned or oiled when it was put away.  It had lived in the roof, hung on the shed wall, sat in my Mum's garage, in the top of the wardrobe.
I decided a couple of years ago to check it over.  It was locked solid and encrusted in old dried castor and years of dust & grime.  I soaked it in WD spray and gently worked the prop until it started to move.  Finally got it turning over free, squirted some fuel in the tank, primed the engine and away she went, not a problem.  Is spat & smoked and dripped dark brown goo for a while but eventually cleared its throat & took off running fine.  
The best way to clean an engine is with heat & fuel, by running it lol!
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Surfer_kris Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:03 am

Yes, running it is the best way to clean them up, a little patina on the outside just shows that they have lived. Smile

There is one thing that one should be careful with though, the wrist-pin can get stuck on the conrod and then it will wear out the holes in the piston...
So it is sometimes advisable to remove the backplate and check that the conrod moves freely on the wrist pin.
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:04 am

rsv1cox wrote:And Lieven I don't know how I missed your referanced post but I did.  I guess you have no complaints regarding the test stand?

I plan on the same, mount it on a board and bolt it to the work mate.  I will be devising a whole new mount for a larger open top fuel tank and integrated throttle control.

Bob

Bob, what mounting is concerned, I bolted a piece of wood under the plywood. Then it can be clamped between both table tops of the Workmate.

Cleaned up and ready for prime time - Page 2 Imgp2011
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:11 am

Oldenginerod wrote:
pkrankow wrote:Are those the engines that rotating the nose provides reverse rotation of the engine?

Phil

I think that all the Enyas with the 4 bolt front housing can be rotated 90 degrees for reverse rotation.  Having said that, I have never heard of another brand doing the same, even with the similar front housing.  I would imagine the timing may end up a little different.
Enya actually sell (sold) matched pairs of counter-rotating engines for use in twins.

Another manufacturer who used to turn the front housing was K&B. The K&B 3,5 marine has the venturi on the left side. The engine must have a crankshaft designed for it because this engine turns the "normal" way. The front housing was turned to clear for the muffler.

Cleaned up and ready for prime time - Page 2 Imgp2410
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Surfer_kris Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:29 am

That's funny, I guess they could take a lefthand crank and convert that to regular running with the front end, and it would end up like that...
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:10 am

Surfer_kris wrote:Yes, running it is the best way to clean them up, a little patina on the outside just shows that they have lived. Smile

There is one thing that one should be careful with though, the wrist-pin can get stuck on the conrod and then it will wear out the holes in the piston...
So it is sometimes advisable to remove the backplate and check that the conrod moves freely on the wrist pin.

Good advise Kris. I have seen this first hand with pistons ruined by caged wrist pins. Thankfully Bobby Brooks usually comes up with replacements either new or used.

And Lieven, that's a great idea, no need to drill holes on the work mates table top.

And Rod, my old Enya .29 on my Fledgling was the same way after about the same amount of time. I just removed it and used a little heat and Remoil to free it up. It's never been apart, but I had always cleaned it after flying it. I did remove the fuel tank and cleaned the gunk out of it.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:16 am

Cribbs74 wrote:Bob,

Glad to see you ran that .29 I wouldn't worry about that trash you sucked in. Unless it was full of sand or metal shavings it just got burned up and spit out. Enyas are tough. I have a later model .29 5224?  That was in similar shape mounted in a Bi-Slob. I fueled that crusty tank up and ran all the crap through the engine. It ran very well!

I need to keep my eye out for a couple of those, you may have some competition on E-bay Laughing just kidding, I always ask before I bid if I know someone else is looking.

Ron

I probably worry too much about whats left in the fuel tank especially after a few years of no use. But I think of all the engines that I have ran without cleaning with no adverse results.

I must admit, I search Enya's every day, the .29 being my favorite. Unless it's the "Special" Smile I will let you know if I find one.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:48 pm

OVERLORD wrote:
rsv1cox wrote:And Lieven I don't know how I missed your referanced post but I did.  I guess you have no complaints regarding the test stand?

I plan on the same, mount it on a board and bolt it to the work mate.  I will be devising a whole new mount for a larger open top fuel tank and integrated throttle control.

Bob

Bob, what mounting is concerned, I bolted a piece of wood under the plywood. Then it can be clamped between both table tops of the Workmate.

Cleaned up and ready for prime time - Page 2 Imgp2011

Clever packaging, ends folded down affixed to the crimped base.  Fit in an envelope.

Looks to be solid and simple once firmly bolted down.  I liked Lievens idea of a bottom rail for attachment to a work-Mate type bench.  I will improve my one line fuel system and check it out.

Cleaned up and ready for prime time - Page 2 Engine16

Cleaned up and ready for prime time - Page 2 Engine17

Cleaned up and ready for prime time - Page 2 Engine18

I think that Mark B. recently posted a picture of a MECOA stand that looked to be really good also.

Found it.

http://www.mecoa.com/tatone/teststands/teststands.htm

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2