Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Crazy is as Crazy does... Cox_ba12

Crazy is as Crazy does... Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Cox powered boat litle shrimp hidroplane
by davidll1984 Today at 2:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Today at 1:39 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Today at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by Yabby Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Crazy is as Crazy does... Empty
Live on Patrol

Crazy is as Crazy does...

Go down

Crazy is as Crazy does... Empty Crazy is as Crazy does...

Post  Kim Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:24 pm

In the immortal words of Jug Head, "Archie, if you were rich, I'd call you eccentric. But you're not rich, so I've got to say you're just crazy."

So, sitting at my desk early on Friday morning, riding the buzz from several cups of Folgers, I was suddenly seized with that directionless desperation that demands something be happening, and NOW. Unswayed by the shop full of projects quietly waiting for my attention, it was obviously time for that type of irrational behavior that, in my youth, so often got me branded as 'flighty' and 'scatter-brained'.

The Assault Van had a fresh oil change and a full tank of gas, it's high quality air mattress and new sleeping bag, as standard equipment, carefully stowed and ready. Devoid of model airplanes and their shelving, the siren song of this mobile man-cave was not to be ignored. Sure as a 1960's hippie's 'search for America', we'd be on the road in moments...but to what destination?

My answer was still on the screen of my electronic genie:

Crazy is as Crazy does... Dayton10

Underwear, socks, T-shirt, and blue jeans unceremoniously chucked in the back, we were on our way, with only one stop at the Credit Union for a BIG roll of SMALL bills, and Creedence Clearwater thumping the sheet metal sides of my van. A fuel stop east of Richmond, Indiana, catfish at the Cracker Barrel on I-75 next to Dayton, found a level spot outback of the place, and bed.

Got a great night's sleep, but still popped awake around 4:30 EST. Didn't feel like waiting around for Cracker Barrel to open at 6, so secured the van for the road, got a couple big cups of McDonald's coffee, and hit out for the Montgomery County Fairgrounds.

My fancy GPS got me close enough to fall into the flow of some fellow model airplane nerds with the same destination...funny how easy it is to spot them, even in semi-darkness! Got a spot close to the front door, and visited with some other model airplane fanatics.

Crazy is as Crazy does... 0_1010

Crazy is as Crazy does... 00_010

No, I didn't buy this TD 1, but purchased another NIB product that may cause my collector buds to take out a contract on my hide.

Crazy is as Crazy does... 3_25

Crazy is as Crazy does... 3_211

Following is a smattering of the photos and capture frames. This is the largest swap meet I've ever attended.

Crazy is as Crazy does... 5_26

Crazy is as Crazy does... 5_111

Crazy is as Crazy does... 5_211

Crazy is as Crazy does... 5_311

Crazy is as Crazy does... 5_411

Crazy is as Crazy does... 5_510

Crazy is as Crazy does... 5_610

Crazy is as Crazy does... 5_810

Crazy is as Crazy does... 5_910

Crazy is as Crazy does... 5_1010

Crazy is as Crazy does... 5_1210

Crazy is as Crazy does... 5_1310

Crazy is as Crazy does... 6_013

Crazy is as Crazy does... 6_114

Crazy is as Crazy does... 6_212

Crazy is as Crazy does... 6_312

Crazy is as Crazy does... 6_410

Crazy is as Crazy does... 6_411

Crazy is as Crazy does... 6_510

Crazy is as Crazy does... 6_610

Crazy is as Crazy does... 6_810

Crazy is as Crazy does... 6_910

Crazy is as Crazy does... 6_9110

Crazy is as Crazy does... 6_9210

Crazy is as Crazy does... 6_9310

Crazy is as Crazy does... 6_9410

Crazy is as Crazy does... 6_9510

Crazy is as Crazy does... 6_9610

Crazy is as Crazy does... 6_9710

Crazy is as Crazy does... 6_9810

Crazy is as Crazy does... 6_9910

Crazy is as Crazy does... 6_99110

Crazy is as Crazy does... 7_012

I made a fast lap around the new Hangar #4 at the Air Force Museum, and also photographed the F-104 Starfighter that was missing from it's pole the last time I was there in 2014. Restored and it looks great, at least from about 300 yards.

Crazy is as Crazy does... Star10

Crazy is as Crazy does... Star910

Crazy is as Crazy does... Star_110

Crazy is as Crazy does... Star1010

Crazy is as Crazy does... Star610

Crazy is as Crazy does... Star7_10

Crazy is as Crazy does... Star810

Crazy is as Crazy does... Star510

Crazy is as Crazy does... Star1011

As quick as the fever came, it went away, and I hoofed it back to the hill. A new personal best as far as goofy, but efficient-time usage adventures go...

Last edited by Kim on Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Crazy is as Crazy does... Empty Re: Crazy is as Crazy does...

Post  rsv1cox Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:01 pm

Kim, I wish I had your wander-lust, or could regain what I had once.  But it's just so comfortable and laid back here in WV that I hesitate to explore.  Not that I haven't, 20 years in the Navy saw to that.  I've dipped in the Great Lakes, the surf off Long Beach, the Gulf of Mexico, and the Atlantic from Florida to Maine and been to most of the major National Parks.  But I have never been to a large hobby show like that or a model airplane competition.  Gotta add those to my bucket list.

And...........What's the rest of the story?  WiFi gave out?

And again.........Wow got it!  All those pictures took awhile to load.  Eye candy coming up.

And again..............I'll take the box of Cox, the twin Mustang, and who can pass up a Norvel powered Cessna? for $15.00? Oh, yes, and the dog.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:49 pm

rsv1cox wrote:

And...........What's the rest of the story?  WiFi gave out?

And again.........Wow got it!  All those pictures took awhile to load.  Eye candy coming up.

And again..............I'll take the box of Cox, the twin Mustang, and who can pass up a Norvel powered Cessna? for $15.00?  Oh, yes, and the dog.  

Bob

Yeah...life with dial-up...all it takes is for one electron to get sideways in the phone line, and you got total arterial blockage!! I loaded the photos through the afternoon as I cleared the van and sorted some stuff. I always save each new addition and bit of writing as I do it, just in case the service belches and shoots my post to Pluto.

I held out pretty well in spite of some of the deals, remembering all the orphans waiting for me at home, but DID give in to a NIB RTF that will be getting it's own thread.

Really a good trip, though I was seriously in a mood to come home after hiking around the A.F. Museum.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:17 pm

rsv1cox wrote:  Oh, yes, and the dog.  

Bob

Yeah...pups are definitely my weak spot. Had two that I initially didn't want, but of course ending up bonding with. 'Bout the only good thing that came out of my 2nd marriage!

When I lost them, it messed me up and have avoided adopting any more. There IS a family up the road from my house that has a Great Dane, Great Pyrenees, and a wiener dog. It's a comical trio that I always watch for on my way to town.
Wish there was a way to offer to vacation-check on them that wouldn't creep-out their owners.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:08 am

Looks like one heck of a swap meet. I am a cheap guy though, so I wouldn't have walked away with much with those prices.

The Valkyrie and I have a long time love affair. First saw it in 1978 as a young lad and again numerous times when I was stationed at Wright-Patt from 1998-2005. My recent visit in 2016 was a let down as there was re-modeling going on and I could not get past the Presidential hangar. I was royally bummed.

Hope you enjoyed yourself. For those that don't know museum entrance is free. Everything inside costs money, but bring a sandwich and a Coke and it makes for a great day.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:48 am

Cribbs74 wrote:Looks like one heck of a swap meet. I am a cheap guy though, so I wouldn't have walked away with much with those prices.

The Valkyrie and I have a long time love affair. First saw it in 1978 as a young lad and again numerous times when I was stationed at Wright-Patt from 1998-2005. My recent visit in 2016 was a let down as there was re-modeling going on and I could not get past the Presidential hangar. I was royally bummed.

Hope you enjoyed yourself. For those that don't know museum entrance is free. Everything inside costs money, but bring a sandwich and a Coke and it makes for a great day.

Ron

It was a great, if very brief trip. I forgot to contact Phil for an 'Orphan Transfer' of a couple storage locker models, got fussed at by my cousin, Steve Stricker (check out this March's issue of Model Aviation) for not letting him know I was close to his home turf, and got the standard chuckle from my Uncle Wayne.

There was a scattering of Cox engines across the place with some .020's hiding like Easter Eggs, but none grabbed at my wallet with their price/uniqueness ratios. An .020-powered, single channel pulse model made me circle a couple times, but I couldn't seem to hook up with the seller, and a Skycopter engine/rotor hub had the only un-crazed factory tank I've seen since the 1980's, but I held strong.

Crazy is as Crazy does... 9_111

Crazy is as Crazy does... 9_15

The Air Force Museum is fantastic, and requires at least two days of visits if you're gonna make a hard core effort to cover most of it. In my last 'total-museum-dedication' run, I was staggering around in there for three days, taking intermissions to collapse in my wonderful van for recharging naps.

Crazy is as Crazy does... Star9_10

As a little kid, the Valkrie and B-58 Hustler were my bombers of choice. The Hustler for it's delta wing and huge, bomb-like belly pod. and the B-70 for it's totally cool pterodactyl appearance.

Crazy is as Crazy does... Star9_11

To this day, I believe I witnessed the B-70 at altitude over my backyard in the early/mid 60's, but couldn't get any non-airplane-fan-relatives to even look up. I got REAL ticked when I was later told that I was just seeing a refueling mission (which were common at the time). I might have just been a kid, but I KNEW the difference between jets following each other, and that canard-equipped monster.

Anyway, another old guy adventure in the books. Looking now to check on my old bud down in Corpus Christie, along with some great times coming up with the Breezy Hill Gang....

Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:56 am

Nice road trip Kim, lots of goodies in that place ,it makes it easy to drop some bills on good deals too . Sounds like you got some wondering out of your system (for now) lol! Thanks for the pics !! This Site Rocks!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:08 am

Yes, the B-70 Valkyrie. First time I ever saw it I wondered how a person could actually pilot the thing. Of course it took a crew. Seems like some also referred to it as the "Stiletto". The Russians had one just like it, probably ripped off from North American. Loved the drooped canopies.

And the Hustler. Even bigger WOW.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:09 am

Hey Kim, I envy your spirit, independence and spontaneity. I've become a real home-body in the last few years.. and so has my wife. Glad that you had a good time! Love the photos.. thanks for sharing! I know how time-consuming that is for you.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:48 am

Kim, Hurrah! Looks like you cut a fairly wide swath of fun across a couple of state lines! Lotsa neat pictures. In one it look like a video of RC battleships? The next picture shows a ship with multiple holes in its hull. Did they actually fire projectiles at each other? Sort of a precursor to "battle bots"?
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  akjgardner Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:04 am

Good for You Kim, Hope you had fun. Next time you go to the air force museum stop in Indiana and pick me up.. Oh wait I need permission from the wife. Lucky Dog . lol
akjgardner
akjgardner
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:17 am

Marleysky wrote:Kim, Hurrah! Looks like you cut a fairly wide swath of fun across a couple of state lines! Lotsa neat pictures. In one it look like a video of RC battleships? The next picture shows a ship with multiple holes in its hull. Did they actually fire projectiles at each other? Sort of a precursor to "battle bots"?

Yeah!!! They shoot (ball bearings I think) at each other, and have their own Facebook page. Not sure what the rules of engagement are, the video looked more like a bar-room brawl than big ships duking it out at sea.

I'm sure there is a You Tube video somewhere of it.

Check out the safety pins in the 'cannons'!:

Crazy is as Crazy does... 9_211
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:30 am

roddie wrote:Hey Kim, I envy your spirit, independence and spontaneity. I've become a real home-body in the last few years.. and so has my wife. Glad that you had a good time! Love the photos.. thanks for sharing! I know how time-consuming that is for you.  

Thanks Roddie!
I consider myself a 'Looper' (there may be more than one definition to that word) in that I like making the run, then getting back home to process all the stuff that I collect/photograph. Some 'loops' are bigger than others. I've a couple friends that bought a big RV, sold their home and live on the road. Sounds cool on one level, but not for me...I got to have a 'base' to operate from!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:39 am

akjgardner wrote:Good for You Kim, Hope you had fun. Next time you go to the air force museum stop in Indiana and pick me up.. Oh wait I need permission from the wife. Lucky Dog . lol

Hey Dude!  

Next time it happens, it ought to be a little more planned deal...we could pick a date and let you go through the proper channels!
There's a Comfort Inn/Suites almost in rock-chucking distance from the museum!
It---Will--Be---Fun !!!!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:15 am

Great set of pics!!!
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down