Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

The 'Fling' gets Flung...again...this time on it's Hi-Start Cox_ba12

The 'Fling' gets Flung...again...this time on it's Hi-Start Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 5:44 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by balogh Today at 1:10 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Yesterday at 8:20 pm

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by sosam117 Yesterday at 6:58 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Cox International Yesterday at 12:27 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

» On ebay a very special Cox engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 6:32 am

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by Admin Yesterday at 12:51 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

The 'Fling' gets Flung...again...this time on it's Hi-Start Empty
Live on Patrol

The 'Fling' gets Flung...again...this time on it's Hi-Start

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

The 'Fling' gets Flung...again...this time on it's Hi-Start Empty The 'Fling' gets Flung...again...this time on it's Hi-Start

Post  Kim Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:47 am

Yes, it's true...I DO occasionally finish a project and get it in the air...even if it IS an ARF !

We had a beautiful February day in Missouri yesterday, and I used the opportunity to test fly my Tee Dee .020 powered 'Fling' sailplane.  The little monster spans all of 48 and a half inches, which puts it right in the zone for a screaming Tee Dee .020.

One of the delays (I know, more excuses) was the control system.  I just couldn't abide by the waxed thread or wire or whatever the stuff is that made up the kit's pull-pull system.  So, I went with the tiny Sullivan cables I normally reserve for throttle control.  I'm sure it made the plane heavier, one reason I seldom weigh these things, but it works.  The cables make it's tail feathers look a little cluttered, but if it bothers me too much, I'll 'hide them in plain sight' with a little black paint.

On my recent Swap Meet run, I bought a new-old Airtronics radio for 20 bucks that just happened to include a 100mah battery with it's micro receiver, so my new Spectrum radio will stay parked for a while.  I got everything stuffed into the little bird, and it all checked out, so I was ready when we got a calm, misty morning.

Since I can't seem to fly without recording the event, the 'Fling' was packing two key fob video cameras on it's first flight, which went great, and was followed by another good one.  Things got a little friskier later in the day when I tried to fly it in a building south wind.  Still got in two more flights before calling it a day.

My next plan is to video the plane using it's included mini Hi-Start system.

THEN....praying to the Model Airplane Gods that Tony will be able to make this year's S.M.A.L.L.  Fly-In so I'll get a chance to chase some of his little Tee Dee rockets around!!!

The 'Fling' gets Flung...again...this time on it's Hi-Start 0_410

The 'Fling' gets Flung...again...this time on it's Hi-Start 0_010

The 'Fling' gets Flung...again...this time on it's Hi-Start 1_12

The 'Fling' gets Flung...again...this time on it's Hi-Start 3_110

The 'Fling' gets Flung...again...this time on it's Hi-Start 9_110

https://youtu.be/8-L9es2nB3A

Last edited by Kim on Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:48 pm; edited 3 times in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

The 'Fling' gets Flung...again...this time on it's Hi-Start Empty Re: The 'Fling' gets Flung...again...this time on it's Hi-Start

Post  RknRusty Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:23 pm

I like it. I found your video before I saw this thread and was going to ask if you positioned your fuel pickup to the port side. But I see in the pictures, you have the engine rotated about 40 degrees or so. I love your wide open flatlands.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

The 'Fling' gets Flung...again...this time on it's Hi-Start Empty Re: The 'Fling' gets Flung...again...this time on it's Hi-Start

Post  pkrankow Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:32 pm

Looks like fun.
Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:53 pm

RknRusty wrote:I like it. I found your video before I saw this thread and was going to ask if you positioned your fuel pickup to the port side. But I see in the pictures, you have the engine rotated about 40 degrees or so. I love your wide open flatlands.
Rusty

Thanks Rusty,
It's a great place for me to live, though I'm slowly becoming surrounded by new neighbors.  No problems so far, and I've voluntarily backed down on the random gunfire...though all bets are off when I get a new burn barrel that needs ventilating.

Working on another engine pod that'll be less streamlined, but more 'experiment friendly' for having fuels tanks and such attached.  Think I'm also gonna reduce the size of the pylon as I think I'm getting a little forward stabilizer effect from it's broad surface area.

Yeah Phil,  
It's a bunch of fun and will be even more 'funner' when I get me some good air up here on the hill!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:06 pm

Kim looks like Flinging is gonna be a new video platform. I can't step out my front door and fly anything ( too many trees) but still shoot a little. My neighbor to the east, every now and then fires off about ( my estimation) $25-30 worth of semi automatic bursts. Don't know if he's poaching dear or just keeping his sights aligned!  Love not being in the city.
Thanks for the pictures and video!
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:35 pm

Marleysky wrote:Kim looks like Flinging is gonna be a new video platform. I can't step out my front door and fly anything ( too many trees) but still shoot a little. My neighbor to the east, every now and then fires off about ( my estimation) $25-30 worth of semi automatic bursts. Don't know if he's poaching dear or just keeping his sights aligned!  Love not being in the city.
Thanks for the pictures and video!

I'd have a tough time getting 'civilized' after living out here in heaven for 17-18 years.  The cool thing is that I'm still only 5 minutes from the edge of Jackson.  I will be waging war on the starlings and sparrows this year, using a pellet rifle and 'CB' caps in my old Springfield .22.  I sorta fell down on the job last year, and was rewarded with a plague of pest birds and few of the ones I like having around.

Yeah, the Fling will probably be packing a camera every time it flys, and ESPECIALLY when I head down toward Little Rock inn June.  Got some chasing to do with a certain California Dude if he shows up with some of his micro-rockets...

The 'Fling' gets Flung...again...this time on it's Hi-Start 3_11
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:10 pm

DAMN That was GREAT!! I love you're videos !!! I see you were ending the sec flight early with the wind humping / good fling KiM!! RC Plane This Site Rocks!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:26 pm

Yeah, God's country there Kim for guys of our ilk. I'm sitting in the middle of 6 acres and can't find a > 70' clearing to fly anything greater than 35 foot lines.

If that Springfield is a model 87 semi auto with the "R" spring action it's quite desirable in the Stevens/Savage world.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:06 pm

Kim.......... All I can say is WOW DUDE! You never cease to amaze me. Mounting a camera is sOoOo cool dude.. and you always have one rolling! I LOVE your flight videos.. and these are no exception. I'm looking forward to more! You're recent road-trip no doubt rekindled the fever to fly! Be sure to keep us posted on the new utility-pylon mount design!
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:20 am

FINALLY !!!!  After three weeks of steady, turbulent wind, I was in the right spot to take advantage of a beautiful, calm morning.  The 'Fling' has been parked all the while, it's two tiny engines waiting for their chance to shine.  The new arrow shaft 'selfie stick' was finished and ready to be strapped to a wing.

By 6:00 am, the Fling's Tee Dee's were fueled, it's wing 'camera'd' up, and ready to rock...and we did.  Got 4 nice flights in before the battery of my aging key fob camera gave up, but STILL got full footage of all of them, and an unbent plane at the end.  So, it's a good day when all the gear decides to cooperate.

The video is a sampling of the best (in my opinion) footage of the morning flights.

Look Out Tony !!!!

https://youtu.be/A_W2peKLne8

The 'Fling' gets Flung...again...this time on it's Hi-Start 0_011

The 'Fling' gets Flung...again...this time on it's Hi-Start 1_14

The 'Fling' gets Flung...again...this time on it's Hi-Start 2_12

The 'Fling' gets Flung...again...this time on it's Hi-Start 3_12

The 'Fling' gets Flung...again...this time on it's Hi-Start 2_13

The 'Fling' gets Flung...again...this time on it's Hi-Start 4_11

The 'Fling' gets Flung...again...this time on it's Hi-Start 7_10

The 'Fling' gets Flung...again...this time on it's Hi-Start 11_11

Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:33 am

How about Kim, to my taste, this is another beautiful video of its creation, I really like it very much. Clapping
If you are so kind, could you tell me what camera on board it is and how it is placed on the model? Since I notice there are no vibrations in the filming and when I make a video, I could not completely eliminate the vibrations, becoming the image of low quality.
Permission, I'm going to put a video of mine so that you can see how the camera vibrates:

MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:19 pm

MauricioB wrote:How about Kim, to my taste, this is another beautiful video of its creation, I really like it very much. Clapping
If you are so kind, could you tell me what camera on board it is and how it is placed on the model? Since I notice there are no vibrations in the filming and when I make a video, I could not completely eliminate the vibrations, becoming the image of low quality.

Thank You Mauricio!

The camera is a cheap 'key fob' camera from China. Search 'Spy Camera' on Ebay. Many of my videos do have vibration waves, but maybe the twin .010's canceled it. With this flight, I used a cut-down aluminum arrow shaft, held with rubber bands, with a layer of foam between it and the wing.

I'll reinstall it and take a photo for posting here. I simply forgot to do that this morning.

Thank You Again!
Kim
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:49 pm

Great aerial reconnaissance mission, Kim. Boy, you got a lot of nerve, which one do you crank first? The Starboard one doesn't have a spring.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:02 pm

Great stuff again Kim.

I guess when starting the second engine (the one with the spring I suppose), one must proceed like hedgehogs making love: With caution.

They sound awesome even though they do remind me of the mosquito season lol!
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:42 pm

Yes, something like that I would be using a 1/2A starter on that spinner after ensuring they would start ok. Even those liitle ones can bite.

I'm so impressed with the clarity of that camera, both up close and the long shots which are amazing. Why hasn't some one stuck one on the outboard wing of a C/L? Or maybe they have.

I searched key fob spy camera and came up with several, from cheap to not so.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:34 pm

RknRusty wrote:Great aerial reconnaissance mission, Kim. Boy, you got a lot of nerve, which one do you crank first? The Starboard one doesn't have a spring.
Rusty

I've only got one decent .010 spring starter...my other one is a pretty knarly looking thing.  Luckily, they're both easy starters (good ole 35% Sig helps), and the right engine is real good about taking flip-starts, so I crank it first, then carefully start the left with it's spring.  I'll include that little drill in my next video...my camera's battery is going south, so I didn't turn it on 'till I was ready to throw the thing.

I'd promised Maurico some photos of the set-up so, crude as it is, here we go:

The 'Fling' gets Flung...again...this time on it's Hi-Start 1_15

The 'Fling' gets Flung...again...this time on it's Hi-Start 2_14

The 'Fling' gets Flung...again...this time on it's Hi-Start 3_13

The 'Fling' gets Flung...again...this time on it's Hi-Start 4_12

The 'Fling' gets Flung...again...this time on it's Hi-Start 5_11

The 'Fling' gets Flung...again...this time on it's Hi-Start 6_11

The 'Fling' gets Flung...again...this time on it's Hi-Start 7_11

This is the simplest no-moving boom set up, which I wanted to be able to show both engines.

The 'quick & dirty' way just takes a few seconds to attach:

The 'Fling' gets Flung...again...this time on it's Hi-Start 82_10

DO NOT forget to re-balance IN BOTH AXIS before flying...'else you'll make a LOT more exciting video than you may have intended.

Hiding Behind The Camera Kim
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:19 pm

Kim wrote:
RknRusty wrote:Great aerial reconnaissance mission, Kim. Boy, you got a lot of nerve, which one do you crank first? The Starboard one doesn't have a spring.
Rusty

I've only got one decent .010 spring starter...my other one is a pretty knarly looking thing.  Luckily, they're both easy starters (good ole 35% Sig helps), and the right engine is real good about taking flip-starts, so I crank it first, then carefully start the left with it's spring.  I'll include that little drill in my next video...my camera's battery is going south, so I didn't turn it on 'till I was ready to throw the thing.

I'd promised Maurico some photos of the set-up so, crude as it is, here we go:

The 'Fling' gets Flung...again...this time on it's Hi-Start 1_15

The 'Fling' gets Flung...again...this time on it's Hi-Start 2_14

The 'Fling' gets Flung...again...this time on it's Hi-Start 3_13

The 'Fling' gets Flung...again...this time on it's Hi-Start 4_12

The 'Fling' gets Flung...again...this time on it's Hi-Start 5_11

The 'Fling' gets Flung...again...this time on it's Hi-Start 6_11

The 'Fling' gets Flung...again...this time on it's Hi-Start 7_11

This is the simplest no-moving boom set up, which I wanted to be able to show both engines.

The 'quick & dirty' way just takes a few seconds to attach:

The 'Fling' gets Flung...again...this time on it's Hi-Start 82_10

DO NOT forget to re-balance IN BOTH AXIS before flying...'else you'll make a LOT more exciting video than you may have intended.

Hiding Behind The Camera Kim

Kim !, thank you very much for the sequence of photos. Thumbs Up
I think we have the same camera, just that you stop putting some kind of telephoto (accessory) ?? can be?.

Here I leave my way in which I handle the camera, it is an accessory made of balsa wood, has bench to accommodate a micro servo and the camera is held there above. Between the camera and the base, I have placed rubber, here we call "rubber eva" to absorb the vibrations, but not enough. In addition, the tower of the servant has minimal movements, "game" which surely also adds to the existence of vibrations.
I think what I should do is leave the camera fixed and as you did you put foam foam under it.
To balance the model, also at the other end, place labrum in order to compose the weight of the camera with the device that supports it.
The 'Fling' gets Flung...again...this time on it's Hi-Start Foto1427
The 'Fling' gets Flung...again...this time on it's Hi-Start Foto1428
The 'Fling' gets Flung...again...this time on it's Hi-Start Foto1429
The 'Fling' gets Flung...again...this time on it's Hi-Start Foto1430

MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:23 pm

That one Badass Cox Just din''t want to give up COOL !!! Small Cox Logo Small Cox Logo Thank You !! I Love This Forum!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:30 pm

getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:05 pm

EPIC.. that's all I can say. I'm not sure what I enjoy most about your vids Kim.. the model in flight with the beautiful area that you have to fly in.. or seeing "you" and the assault-van.. clearly-visible below. That's REALLY cool to me. I really want to try a "pair" of those cams for control-line. Have you considered a "handle-mounted cam for your c/L flights? That might be neat; in conjunction with a cam mounted on the fuse's c of g .. facing "in".. at the pilot. Might make for some interesting control-input sequences.. once mixed/edited.

At any rate... I LOVE your vids! They really "pump-me-up"! Thanks for sharing!!! Thumbs Up
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:25 pm

roddie wrote:Have you considered a "handle-mounted cam for your c/L flights? That might be neat; in conjunction with a cam mounted on the fuse's c of g .. facing "in".. at the pilot. Might make for some interesting control-input sequences.. once mixed/edited.

At any rate... I LOVE your vids! They really "pump-me-up"! Thanks for sharing!!! Thumbs Up

Thanks Roddie!

I actually thought about a handle-mounted camera, but the key fob types would be too far away from the plane, and my Go Pro's are too big to strap to the handle. I've been using a handle/pod made from parts of a broken mini tripod with a GoPro, and also just using my left hand to hold a Sony mini cam, zoomed all the way out.

Thanks again!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:45 pm

Kim wrote:
roddie wrote:Have you considered a "handle-mounted cam for your c/L flights? That might be neat; in conjunction with a cam mounted on the fuse's c of g .. facing "in".. at the pilot. Might make for some interesting control-input sequences.. once mixed/edited.

Thanks Roddie!

I actually thought about a handle-mounted camera, but the key fob types would be too far away from the plane, and my Go Pro's are too big to strap to the handle.  I've been using a handle/pod made from parts of a broken mini tripod with a GoPro, and also just using my left hand to hold a Sony mini cam, zoomed all the way out.

Thanks again!

Just "doing what you do".. is very appealing Kim! It always has been. I love the innovation that you bring to the hobby!
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:22 pm

Wayne was flying my Baby Streak at 1/2A day when he remembered my camera was in his pocket, so he got it out and shot the flight. Someone on the other side of the trees scared the crap out of us shooting a gun. You can hear it in both sections of the video. I was also recording with my phone.
https://youtu.be/5-lKMy5DgpQ

The other day he was flying a pattern while he called me on his phone. What a nut, Lol.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:39 pm

That's whipping it out Can Wayne type ? join on in Airplane Airplane cheers
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:14 pm

Loved that!!!
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next