Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

The 'Fling' gets Flung...again...this time on it's Hi-Start - Page 2 Cox_ba12

The 'Fling' gets Flung...again...this time on it's Hi-Start - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» music vids.. some of your favorites
by Oldenginerod Today at 1:59 am

» Draco Goes Flying, But Misses the Eclipse
by HalfaDave Yesterday at 9:59 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» Enya .09 II Questions
by Surfer_kris Yesterday at 2:45 pm

» Wen Mac .049 - Conditioning.
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:21 pm

» Happy 53rd birthday Mauricio!!!
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 11:22 am

» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 10:57 am

» UV Restore of Yellowed Decals
by Levent Suberk Yesterday at 8:59 am

» 22mm 2-blade nylon marine prop and solid-shaft drive
by roddie Yesterday at 6:46 am

» Post edit??
by roddie Yesterday at 5:33 am

» Original Super Power fuel formula?
by HalfaDave Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:28 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

The 'Fling' gets Flung...again...this time on it's Hi-Start - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

The 'Fling' gets Flung...again...this time on it's Hi-Start

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

The 'Fling' gets Flung...again...this time on it's Hi-Start - Page 2 Empty Re: The 'Fling' gets Flung...again...this time on it's Hi-Start

Post  RknRusty Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:22 am

getback wrote: That's whipping it out Can Wayne type ? join on in Airplane Airplane cheers
lol! Yeah, he can type. And read. In fact he reads all of my flight reports. 'Course I haven't posted any lately. I did Wednesday night, a whole freakin page with videos, and then I dumb-thumbed it into the aether and never re-wrote it. It was about flying my new(old) Tutor. And my beautiful Twister becoming whole again.

He reads Stunthanger too, but doesn't write. He got a new iPad for Christmas and his emails are getting longer because it turns out he likes typing on it. Maybe I'll try again to get him to post. He's a friggin' smart dude. and funny too.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

The 'Fling' gets Flung...again...this time on it's Hi-Start - Page 2 Empty Re: The 'Fling' gets Flung...again...this time on it's Hi-Start

Post  roddie Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:39 pm

RknRusty wrote:
I haven't posted any lately. I did Wednesday night, a whole freakin page with videos, and then I dumb-thumbed it into the aether and never re-wrote it.

I hate it when that happens. I recently switched my chair.. and it's slightly lower.. affecting the angle of my hands on the keyboard. I want to make a padded "bridge".. maybe 1/4" in height, that spans the width of my laptop and covers the mouse-pad/buttons (I use a wireless mouse). It sucks to lose something that took a while to write. I should draft first in MS-Word.. but I'm not in the habit of doing that. I try to remember to "copy" during the writing of something lengthy.. but I sometimes forget. I almost always "copy" before preview/send.. because I have often lost stuff when I don't. Doh!
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:53 pm

I STILL have that happen...been trying to remind myself to copy and paste it to a notepad as I go, but still forget and ...off she goes to Pluto !!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:40 pm

What about Kim? Do you have an extra accessory placed on your camera? What accessory is it? Can it be the accessories for mobile phones?
Thank you
The 'Fling' gets Flung...again...this time on it's Hi-Start - Page 2 4_12_a10

Something like that??
The 'Fling' gets Flung...again...this time on it's Hi-Start - Page 2 Acceso10

MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:43 am

Hey Mauricio,

The lens on this camera is permanently attached.  They are offered in a couple versions, with this one being the wide angle model.  I wasn't sure if I'd like it as my past experience with lens like this on film cameras often sacrificed a lot of detail, but this one has worked great, and I intend to get another one as a standby camera.

The 'Fling' gets Flung...again...this time on it's Hi-Start - Page 2 1_16

The 'Fling' gets Flung...again...this time on it's Hi-Start - Page 2 S-l40010
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:41 am

Joining the fun Kim. I have these coming. I know very little about them, a learning experience and the investment is small.

The 'Fling' gets Flung...again...this time on it's Hi-Start - Page 2 Spy_ca10
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:04 am

rsv1cox wrote:Joining the fun Kim.  I have these coming.  I know very little about them, a learning experience and the investment is small.

Cool! Check in with how they work. About the only problem that's REALLY bugged me is the time stamp that mine include on the video. A few years ago, I tried to keep it updated, but it always goes back to a default date whenever the thing is switched off. So, I tell folks to just ignore it.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:14 am

Kim wrote:Hey Mauricio,

The lens on this camera is permanently attached.  They are offered in a couple versions, with this one being the wide angle model.  I wasn't sure if I'd like it as my past experience with lens like this on film cameras often sacrificed a lot of detail, but this one has worked great, and I intend to get another one as a standby camera.

The 'Fling' gets Flung...again...this time on it's Hi-Start - Page 2 1_16

The 'Fling' gets Flung...again...this time on it's Hi-Start - Page 2 S-l40010

Thanks Kim for the information! ... clear my camera is the version without the "wide angle" lens, I did not know that they came with that additional option. I will see if it is possible to adapt an existing lens to improve the image!
Thanks again!!
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:00 am

I have the same camera and posted a few vids on YouTube like this one. Close range vids shot with the cam mounted on the plane are good but the pilot standing on the ground and holding it will certainly not be able to shoot a good flight video.

https://youtu.be/PhVMZCJeos4
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:45 am

I have yet to find THE definitive camera to let me get good video from inside the circle. A GoPro, placed on the ground or held by a home made grip has worked the best for flying, but the best detail photos from inside the circle have come from a handheld Sony 'Handi Cam' that I just point at the plane while I'm flying. I keep my thumb on the zoom button adjusting it during the flight, and can often get some good captures from the video.

I've seriously considered blowing some cash on one of those expensive camera/tripod rigs that will track a small transmitter that's carried by the subject, but that hasn't happened yet. I've also got my doubts about it tracking a close-in, fast moving target going in circles.

Video Capture frame from Sony Handi Cam

The 'Fling' gets Flung...again...this time on it's Hi-Start - Page 2 1_110
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:45 pm

rsv1cox wrote:Joining the fun Kim.  I have these coming.  I know very little about them, a learning experience and the investment is small.

FDA approved as well, very good!

Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:27 am

[quote="Admin"]

That's great they won't upset your tummy. Just swallow one and perform your own colonoscopy. Smile

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:27 am

rsv1cox wrote:
Admin wrote:

That's great they won't upset your tummy.  Just swallow one and perform your own colonoscopy.  Smile

Bob  

Just hope that the sucker doesn't get sideways and block you up !!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:07 am

Kim wrote:
rsv1cox wrote:
Admin wrote:

That's great they won't upset your tummy.  Just swallow one and perform your own colonoscopy.  Smile

Bob  

Just hope that the sucker doesn't get sideways and block you up !!!!

Smile Smile

Simple, just leave the key ring on it and errr....extricate it. Smile

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

The 'Fling' gets Flung...again...this time on it's Hi-Start - Page 2 Empty Trying out the Hi-Start that's included with Great Planes' Fling Sailplane

Post  Kim Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:03 pm

Had myself a nice day in the making...my Swap Meet Rascal is ready to go, but it's little wheels need pavement, so it waits for our Airplane Day over at Cairo's airport.

So, decided to collect a few ticks by stomping around out in the cow lot beside the house.  My Fling ARF Sailplane came with a small Hi-Start set that gives it a plenty high boost for finding thermals...even though I wasn't able to hook into any today.

Hi-Starts are a good way to get a 'pure' sailplane launched, though it's a real good idea to have a large, clear area for the string to fall back to earth.  I managed not to drop it across the barn, house, or my cedar tree, in spite of the close-quarters and shifting winds.

A good test run, but figure that the Hi-Start will have to wait for a trip to the wide-open spaces, while the Tee Dee's do the heavy-lifting on the hill.

The 'Fling' gets Flung...again...this time on it's Hi-Start - Page 2 0_10

The 'Fling' gets Flung...again...this time on it's Hi-Start - Page 2 1_19

Playing the elevator to manage pitch and climb determines how high you get as the surgical tubing's 'stretch' is used up.  Any ham-fisting of the stick uses up a lot of 'power'...quick, smooth inputs get the most out of the launch, and multiple flights help find the glider's sweet spot on tow.

The 'Fling' gets Flung...again...this time on it's Hi-Start - Page 2 2_20

The 'Fling' gets Flung...again...this time on it's Hi-Start - Page 2 2_111

The 'Fling' gets Flung...again...this time on it's Hi-Start - Page 2 3_17

The 'Fling' gets Flung...again...this time on it's Hi-Start - Page 2 3_111

Coming over the top, the flag pulls the ring off it's hook, and the Fling is set loose.

The 'Fling' gets Flung...again...this time on it's Hi-Start - Page 2 4_15

The 'Fling' gets Flung...again...this time on it's Hi-Start - Page 2 5_14

The 'Fling' gets Flung...again...this time on it's Hi-Start - Page 2 7_13
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:22 pm

I don't see many Qs in the sky to hunt around. I bet if you built a bonfire you could get a good tall one.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:45 pm

RknRusty wrote:I don't see many Qs in the sky to hunt around. I bet if you built a bonfire you could get a good tall one.

They seem to start popping around here around 10am on calm sunny days, but I took a while to get going (think I must be getting older!) and had some breezes messing with me by the time I launched...or maybe I just need more practice!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:20 am

You're not getting older at that rate ,, that's a lot to put into a short flight , where U been firing up and set the plane free ! More the experience than anything i would say lol! Nice imaging on the release , Thanks Kim This Site Rocks!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:37 am

I have never had good performance out of a high start Probably because I really really needed a mentor at that time and didn't have one to help.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:10 am

pkrankow wrote:I have never had good performance out of a high start  Probably because I really really needed a mentor at that time and didn't have one to help.

Phil

Hey Phil,

It took a long time for me to get a clue about Hi-Starts, and especially about the whole thermaling thing in general. This all improved drastically when I bought Dave Thornburg's 'Old Buzzard Goes Soaring'...though reading it caused so many 'Well Of Course!' moments that it was somewhat embarrassing that I hadn't figured it out on my own.

Much like control line flying, I'm kinda on my own in my neck of the woods where sailplanes are concerned. Even the guys who fly the electric-powered versions seem to be more into just blasting around rather than trying to read the air for boomers. More than a decade ago, I had a couple fellow sailplane flyers, Allen (Aero here), and another guy who got into some serious fiberglass planes. We sunburned our faces on a regular basis, along with getting wind-burned as we stared into the breezes breaking over our favorite levee.

As aggravating as it can be to put in multiple launches, retrieving the Hi-Start over and over, it's a REAL goose-bump moment when you finally punch into the core of a strong thermal and watch your glider gain altitude like it had an engine on it's snout. (Plus, all the stomping around HAS to count for a bit of the cardio that my doctor is always fussing at me about!)

Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:52 am

Surprised
Dang, that does look like fun. Really like the pics of the high start and release. Never knew it was the ribbon that drags the loop off the hook. I always assumed you had to do a well timed "up" maneuver  at what you'd think was the apex of the fling to pull off the ring and release. Great pictures. Very Happy  I remember seeing Dave's "old buzzard" book somewhere, maybe the library. I'll have to pick it up.
Went to a swap meet this past weekend......you would  of liked it. It was the "Thunderbirds RC" club!  First thing I saw was a ARF of the BOT just like yours. Man that thing is HUGE up close!  It was sold and gone before I could made my first loop around the tables!  I don't think it would have fit in my little Jetta anyway. I did get a couple of $5 1/4a combat wings.
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:10 am

Marleysky wrote:Surprised
Dang, that does look like fun. Really like the pics of the high start and release. Never knew it was the ribbon that drags the loop off the hook. I always assumed you had to do a well timed "up" maneuver  at what you'd think was the apex of the fling to pull off the ring and release. Great pictures. Very Happy  I remember seeing Dave's "old buzzard" book somewhere, maybe the library. I'll have to pick it up.
Went to a swap meet this past weekend......you would  of liked it. It was the "Thunderbirds RC" club!  First thing I saw was a ARF of the BOT just like yours. Man that thing is HUGE up close!  It was sold and gone before I could made my first loop around the tables!  I don't think it would have fit in my little Jetta anyway. I did get a couple of $5 1/4a combat wings.

Thanks Marleysky!

Good score on the combat wings!

My larger Hi-Starts have a small parachute that does double duty, pulling the ring off the hook and, if there's a breeze, laying the string back toward the launching spot.  The chute's shroud lines take the load of the tow, pulling the chute closed on tow, but letting it inflate as the sailplane goes over the top and the tension comes off the line.

I STILL get a hoot from re-reading Dave's book, even though I was accused of being a 'criminal' by an angry virgin when I was silly enough to defend it on a 'Rip-Off Report' !!!

Outlaw Kim
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:50 pm

That book is going for over $100, used, and I cannot find a download that works.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:04 pm

pkrankow wrote:That book is going for over $100, used, and I cannot find a download that works.

Phil

Well, I could always post two pages at a time here...it'd be cool---like the continued daily comic strips of olden days. 'Course I might get clobbered for copyright infringement !!!!

Alley Oop Kim
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:16 pm

I'm game. Sounds fun...except the getting clobbered part.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next