Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register! Guests are limited to posting in the "General Questions (Guest Posting Allowed)" section only. Becoming a member is fast, easy and FREE!

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» The 'Fling' gets Flung...again...this time on it's Hi-Start
by Kim Today at 7:12 pm

» Running some marine engines: OS MAX 19
by roddie Today at 6:26 pm

» Something Followed Me Home....
by Ken Cook Today at 3:09 pm

» New projects for Cox Pee Wee 020
by MauricioB Today at 11:34 am

» dilemma.. Estes EDF
by Kim Today at 6:24 am

» model airplane yard-sale
by GallopingGhostler Today at 3:00 am

» Engine of the month
by Oldenginerod Yesterday at 5:06 pm

» OH THE HUMANITY!!
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 11:40 am

» Minitérmicos with Engines Cox 0.049
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:33 am

» Backplates and bees
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 10:30 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2017
1/2A Nut's

TD .020 RC

More info on this engine!

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Tach Race 2017 Updates
Ready for Tach Race 2017?
Profile Scale Reed Speed
Gallery

Win This Engine!
The Traveling Prop
World of Aviation

A bumbling day with the McCoy 19

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

A bumbling day with the McCoy 19

Post  getback on Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:19 am

Yesterday i decide i would try and run this McCoy 19 again ! First time was no success with flipping so i got the electric finger on it after fitting a nose cone to it ,, After doing too much work i thought i desired a break but i was having a ruff day with numb fingers , shoulder and hip giving me a fit Rolling Eyes I did get one video half worth watching so here it is /// 10x6 Woodie, 35% old Sig w/some Extra Castor oil added... I think it needs a smaller prop ??  
   I really need a camra stand !!!
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A bumbling day with the McCoy 19

Post  rsv1cox on Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:37 am

Sounds great Eric.

I had a thing for McCoy's not to far back and rebuilt a few with new gaskets etc. I love those flex get your fingers out of the way needles. I tend to use a leather glove when starting any of mine. Those little .09 Enya's on the Mosquito would kick back too, and even with that glove sting ya a bit.

Bob
rsv1cox
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Mc Coy Engine's

Post  RK Flyer on Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:37 pm

I am waiting for a Mc Coy 35 from E Bay and I am wondering what type of tank & fuel you are using? I am going to put it on a Ringmaster that I have sitting with no engine, sort of an old timey thing, don't know yet if I'll even try to fly it!

Thanks RK Flyer Flying
RK Flyer
Gold Member
Gold Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 on Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:26 pm

There is absolutely NO REASON to NOT put the new to you McCoy 35 on the RM, feed it 5% to 15% N with 25% to 28% oil MOSTLY, or All, Castor

Slap on a 9 x 4 to 9 x 6 propeller, and a good set of .015 x 60' lines and go spin nice easy 5.2 to 5.6 second circles

If first time flight in a long long time, consider a good PLASTIC clunk fuel tank so you can short fill it for 1 TO 3 MIN FLIGHT

No need to get froggy and try to improve on MY already perfected Figure 9... just have a ball proving the damned thing will fly

Then screw around killing other airplanes waiting for this years Ring master Fly -A Thon... and relive the RM flights adding to the world wide total of flights on that weekend
fredvon4
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Trusted Seller

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook on Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:48 pm

RK, the Mccoy .35 is a very good choice for the Ring as Fred mentioned. A metal tank is a far better option due to the fact that the Ring can't easily accept a plastic clunk due to a short nose. It will be jammed into the leading edge with the fuel pipes into the back of the engine. The Mccoy will run a comfortable amount of time on a 3.5 oz. tank. You could always go a bit smaller but my recommendation of tank for a profile like the Ring is this one from Brodak http://brodak.com/deep-wedge-profile-standard-vent-fuel-tank-3.html

I've found these tank to feed better than wedge tanks all the way to the end. The pickup tube is correctly plumbed unlike a wedge. A wedge has it's pickup exiting on the center of the wedge in the front, this places your feed pipe directly into the back of the cylinder head. This kind of arrangement has the tubing taking a hard 90 downwards which cuts the tubing and can cause some funny business in the maneuvers if your using a inline fuel filter. It also adds a considerable of length to the fuel tubing itself. In a crash situation, all tanks are subject to damage but this Brodak tank can allow for a piece of 1/8" ply epoxied onto the face so that it won't get damaged in a shot to the back of the cylinder head.

Mccoy's tend to like a bit of nitro and my recommendation would be 10%. They do like oil as well. Powermaster no longer offers 10/29 but the engine doesn't need all that oil anyhow. Sig Champion 10/25 is a very good fuel and works very well for this engine. Brodak also offers a all castor blend of 10/29 which also works well. http://brodak.com/fuel-qt-10-nitro-29-castor.html
Ken Cook
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie on Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:45 pm

Eric, a 10 x 6 is way too much prop for that engine, dude.

Check this engine/prop chart out. It's for a Jr. Flite-Streak.

Do you have an 8 x 5 or 8 x 6 you can try? Might be easier-starting by hand too. You could try the old technique of firmly grasping the prop and rotate through compression.. and feel for the "bump" (kick). One you feel this; smartly-smack (not flip..) the prop BACKWARDS.. and see if she starts. This technique can avoid getting your finger whacked too.
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

View user profile http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  getback on Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:22 pm

I know the prop. was too big but it was all i could find down stairs 7x4 was the other ,, i have some 9x? somewhere Huh...
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod on Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:56 am

Oldenginerod
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler on Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:11 am

getback wrote:Yesterday i decide i would try and run this McCoy 19 again ! First time was no success with flipping so i got the electric finger on it after fitting a nose cone to it ,, After doing too much work i thought i desired a break but i was having a ruff day with numb fingers , shoulder and hip giving me a fit Rolling Eyes I did get one video half worth watching so here it is /// 10x6 Woodie, 35% old Sig w/some Extra Castor oil added... I think it needs a smaller prop ??

2 problems. 10x6 prop is too large, good for a McCoy .35. Try a 9x4. 35% Sig meaning 35% nitro? Try something between 5% and 15%. I broke in my Testors .19 Red Head on a 9x4 prop and 15% standard RC fuel with a pint of Castor added to bump oil to 25%. It hand started really easy. If you PM your E-mail address, I can E-mail you the .19 Red Head manual.

It states "Prop Recommendations: Free Flight 9x4; PAA or RC 10x4; Stunt 9x5, 9x4, 8x6; Speed 6x9." It also states that needle valve should be opened 5 turns prior to starting.
GallopingGhostler
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

View user profile http://cmaswr2.org/NM/BLACKWATERDRAWGOSPELRIDERS

Back to top Go down

Post  getback on Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:30 am

Thank You George !! I got it saved and read on it a bit , i have some 15% N with extra castor added , Looks like i am missing the ratchet to hold the needle setting , i will have to see if i can find or have one i can rob from another engine Very Happy and difft. prop (smaller) and Thank you Rod for the T/F prop chart , Got it ! Thumbs Up
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler on Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:48 am

An observation, my Enya 15-III TV unmuffled runs well with Masters 8x6 prop on 15% nitro fuel. It pulls as strong as my OS Max 15FP-S unmuffled with Masters 8x4 and same fuel. Noticed manual recommends an 8x6 beside others. I checked http://sceptreflight.com/Model%20Engine%20Tests/Index.html. Enya put out 0.25 HP at 12,700 RPM on 5% nitro. Earlier 19 Red Head is not available. Testors McCoy 19 Red Head Custom (lightning bolt) puts out 0.27 HP at 12,000 RPM on 5% nitro. Non-lightning bolt 19 Blue Head R/C put out 0.25 HP at 12,000 RPM on same fuel.

One of these days I'll purchase a tach. I gather that at 0.7 oz (20 g) heavier, the McCoy 19 Red Head (non-lightning bolt) puts out about the same amount of power, may be a slight tad more. Also, Peter tested the lightning bolt 19. It, a later version came with a chromed piston. It must have been a really decent engine with hard chrome fixing the soft iron piston problem.

Last edited by GallopingGhostler on Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:56 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Correct typo.)
GallopingGhostler
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox on Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:00 am

Not a McCoy but a K&B Torpedo .19 that came in a package deal with some other engines, but it is C/L and I want to save it and find something to put it on without a lot of effort. Arrived locked up and nasty, so I removed the glow plug and NV and dumped it in the Anti freeze pot and boiled it for several hours.

Removing it, I brushed it up externally then plunged it into a container of Simple Green and cycled it submerged CW and CCW, then into equally hot water and more cycling until the expelled liquid was clear, then into some 91% alcohol with a compressed air blow out, then doused with Remoil and more CC & CCW cycling, then into a toaster oven set at 225 degrees. All this to save replacing the case gasket which I do not have. Added some after run oil and darned if it doesn't have great compression and that lovely pop.

Will run it later with Rod's Prop chart as a guide. Out of a couple of hundred engines that I completely disassemble and clean this is the second one that I have tried this way. Sure saves a lot of work and money on replacing gaskets.
rsv1cox
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler on Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:55 am

From what I gather, that K&B 19 Torpedo is a decent engine, powerful and durable. They tend to go for less on E-bay, being left hand exhaust would like the 1966 Enya 09-III better suited mounted on left side of a CL profile fuselage. (Keeps exhaust off hands while adjusting.) I've got its bigger brother, the K&B 35 Torpedo.

Also got an Enya 19-V NOS engine with muffler. Finding a place for it will require scratch building.

Last edited by GallopingGhostler on Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:59 am; edited 1 time in total
GallopingGhostler
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback on Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:55 am

That's cool Bob , i had one of those and let it go i think ? I did replace the prop with a 7x4 and the run was much better , I think the tach was 12-13K that run and it seemed happier Very Happy (no video , sorry) i used the same 15% N with extra castor added from some time back in this fuel just for the older engines . George Thanks for bringing this thread back up i was going to post this but slipped my mind with soo much going on at this time Doh! Just been tierd of all the running around and Doc. appt. Work and home projects !?! I still need to give a try at the Mill 75S and Jim Walker engines i had started with some time back .....
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 on Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:01 am

I've never really understood the .19 displacement engines. While I do have some and like them I can't find a use for them nor do I seek them out. Most .19-35 kits fly like dogs with the .19 unless you build it very light. That can cause issues as well. However, I saw a Veco .19 power a light Super Clown that worked well. Maybe it's comparing apples to oranges as some .19's are more powerful than others. I have seen .19's power 09-.15 size models and they seem to do well albeit overpowered.
Cribbs74

Trusted Seller

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler on Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:25 am

As you point out Ron, basic problem I gather is that kits for the 19 sized engines with about 300 square inches wing area give or take are fewer and further between because of popularity for the 35 and up, and 15 and down sized ones.

Probably one that would work is Hal DeBolt's 36" span 1951 All American.

http://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=4459

Another might be Don McGovern's Enterprise 36" span 1948 Pirate. (Note, engine sizes are inflated as ignition engines are referenced.)

http://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=6498
GallopingGhostler
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  706jim on Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:35 pm

I owned a McCoy 19 way back when. This was before electric starters. I never could get it to run. It the sleeve was installed backwards, would this cause hard starting?
706jim
Gold Member
Gold Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook on Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:01 pm

Jim, if your referring to the red head .19 it certainly could've been 180 deg out. This isn't possible with the .35 due to 3 screws holding the cylinder to the case. The .19 though can be rotated. Hard starting would've certainly been an issue if this was the situation. I have witnessed this with Fox .35's that have been taken apart and not properly put back together. The Mccoy .19 though has it's porting very close to each other and almost identical in width. This makes identifying the intake side to the exhaust side very difficult. In addition, the Mccoy has it's steel liner blued entirely, on a Fox it's raw steel and the steel naturally discolors from the heat of the exhaust so it makes identifying one side to the other much easier.

The Mccoy has paper fiber gaskets which sometimes don't seal properly. This is very easily overlooked at the base of the cylinder. If it's leaking it's not going to offer good compression and poor compression is mistaken a lot of times due to this gasket. In addition, the head gaskets were fiber which leaked as well. This is another problem easily overlooked even by the experienced. These two areas cause hard starting and reliability. In addition, the spraybar never sealed correctly to the case. This can cause erratic needle setting and poor fuel draw requiring the needle to be way out to get it to just draw fuel. While I'm a fan of the Mccoy needles and spraybar, they leak therefore requiring tubing on the threads.

I do like the Mccoy .19 and it does a good job but it is in my opinion one very loud engine even louder than the .35. Ken
Ken Cook
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie on Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:54 pm

706jim wrote:I owned a McCoy 19 way back when. This was before electric starters. I never could get it to run. It the sleeve was installed backwards, would this cause hard starting?

I have a McCoy .19 that was my dad's. I received it recently from him with its head off.. and missing most of the screws to reinstall it.

I'm not sure how/if it ran when he had it. What I "do know" is that it was once mounted in a beautiful Sterling Waco Cabin C/L model that he'd built when I was a toddler. Back then; Sterling furnished beautiful spun-aluminum engine-cowlings with their kits.

It's really amazing that I have the engine in complete form. That Waco never flew to my knowledge.. and my dad lost interest in the hobby by the late 60's. The Waco got "played-with" tossed-around and broken soon after. We moved to another house in 1976.. and I really don't remember the model or its engine from that time.. on.

I remember my dad's vividly. It was beige with red trim. The engine cowling was gorgeous.. with the red-head proudly protruding out the top.. (sounds naughty.. doesn't it?) Laughing

I've been half-heartedly searching for some 3-48 black-oxide cap-screws to replace the missing ones for the head. If I was really serious about restoring the engine.. I'd contact "Chellie" (Michelle?) A girl that procures some vintage McCoy gaskets. She could surely give some guidance on the running/restoration of the red-head glow-engines. She used to have an eBay store. Not sure if it's still active though.

The .19 engines I would agree; are stuck between "a rock and a hard-place".. as far as kits for them are concerned. Mostly regarded as a "stepping-stone" engine for applicable kits, that many modelers may have skipped-over.. to proceed to the top of the displacement recommended.

The Fox .15 steel-fin enjoyed more popularity I think. An old .09-.15 kit/design was ripe for one.

roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie on Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:30 pm

Ken Cook wrote:          Jim, if your referring to the red head .19 it certainly could've been 180 deg out. This isn't possible with the .35 due to 3 screws holding the cylinder to the case. The .19 though can be rotated. Hard starting would've certainly been an issue if this was the situation. I have witnessed this with Fox .35's that have been taken apart and not properly put back together. The Mccoy .19 though has it's porting very close to each other and almost identical in width. This makes identifying the intake side to the exhaust side very difficult. In addition, the Mccoy has it's steel liner blued entirely, on a Fox it's raw steel and the steel naturally discolors from the heat of the exhaust so it makes identifying one side to the other much easier.

The Mccoy has paper fiber gaskets which sometimes don't seal properly. This is very easily overlooked at the base of the cylinder. If it's leaking it's not going to offer good compression and poor compression is mistaken a lot of times due to this gasket. In addition, the head gaskets were fiber which leaked as well. This is another problem easily overlooked even by the experienced. These two areas cause hard starting and reliability. In addition, the spraybar never sealed correctly to the case. This can cause erratic needle setting and poor fuel draw requiring the needle to be way out to get it to just draw fuel. While I'm a fan of the Mccoy needles and spraybar, they leak therefore requiring tubing on the threads.

I do like the Mccoy .19 and it does a good job but it is in my opinion one very loud engine even louder than the .35. Ken

"Pearls" Ken.. text saved to my McCoy .19 archives.. as many of your helpful hints have been. Thank You! I hope that Eric reads this before abandoning trying to run his engine.

The back-plate in my dad's .19 looked to have been installed/re-installed 90 degrees too far clockwise. See the pics I took soon after receiving dad's engine.

https://i.servimg.com/u/f58/18/50/45/90/9-28-114.jpg

There's no-telling (yet..) whether he had the cylinder-liner out of it. I'm guessing.. no, but won't leave that stone un-turned.
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook on Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:32 pm

Roddie, the screws aren't 3-48. The red heads use 4-40. 1/4" 4-40 and the 2 long ones are 1". However it may be necessary to grind a tad off of the long ones if the screws aren't tapped all the way to the bottom. Chellie uses a very thick gasket. If the engine is already tired, these are going to make matters worse. She uses a Fel-Pro gasket which is good material but it's quite a few thousandth's thicker over the stock. The Mccoy screws are just a headache They're dead soft and cam out. Allen socket heads are superior to them and they fit the head without resistance and you can now legitimately tighten down the head properly without stripping out the screw heads. Shtterman from Ebay also sells a screw pack for the Mccoy's which is from Micro Fastener.
Ken Cook
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie on Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:38 pm

Thanks Ken.. screw-size/length noted. I have some "Perfect" gasket material that I'm sure I could cut to size. It may be on the thick-side though.. IDK.. Can you recommend any other head-gasket material that might work? My "Perfect" stock #105 gasket-material states to be 1/64" thick. How does that compare to Chellie's "Fel-Pro" gasket material? 1/64" is .0156". I just checked my manila-folder stock.. and it measures just shy of .010". Maybe I could use the "folder-stock" for the back-plate gasket?

roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler on Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:19 pm

roddie wrote:
706jim wrote:I owned a McCoy 19 way back when. This was before electric starters. I never could get it to run. It the sleeve was installed backwards, would this cause hard starting?

I have a McCoy .19 that was my dad's. I received it recently from him with its head off.. and missing most of the screws to reinstall it.

shtterman has a replacement Allen head screw set:

Ebay McCoy 29-40 RED HEAD FRONT ROTOR ALLEN TYPE SCREW SET NIP

I didn't see one for the .19 except the rear rotor one which would be the wrong set. You might want to contact shtterman as he may have it but not advertised.

I'm not sure how/if it ran when he had it. What I "do know" is that it was once mounted in a beautiful Sterling Waco Cabin C/L model that he'd built when I was a toddler. Back then; Sterling furnished beautiful spun-aluminum engine-cowlings with their kits.

It's really amazing that I have the engine in complete form. That Waco never flew to my knowledge.. and my dad lost interest in the hobby by the late 60's. The Waco got "played-with" tossed-around and broken soon after. We moved to another house in 1976.. and I really don't remember the model or its engine from that time.. on.

I remember my dad's vividly. It was beige with red trim. The engine cowling was gorgeous.. with the red-head proudly protruding out the top.. (sounds naughty.. doesn't it?) Laughing

I had that kit in the 1970's, it disappeared when I went away to the Army. I bought a Testors McCoy .19 RH from America's Hobby Center, I think I paid all of $6 plus postage. The .19 was considerable longer than the engine shown in the Sterling Waco Cabin, comparing with the plans, prop hub stuck out 0.5 - 0.75 inches past the cowl, so I put it in a Sterling profile F-51 Mustang.
GallopingGhostler
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie on Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:52 am

Thanks George. Being reminded (by Ken) that the screws are 4-40 size, they'll be easier to find locally. If required; I'll trim any that are too long, using a cut-off wheel in the Dremel and de-burr with a fine metal-file. There's several good hardware stores near me. They stock 4-40 screws in a variety of head-configurations/materials/lengths.

Ken had given me some great tips on the McCoy .19 back in 2014.. which I saved to a word-doc that I'd forgotten about. Rolling Eyes

Hey "Eric".. Any luck finding an 8 x 4 prop for yours?

roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback on Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:31 am

Not yet i am sure i have one somewhere Huh... I did this though ..
Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Re: A bumbling day with the McCoy 19 Post getback on Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:55 am That's cool Bob , i had one of those and let it go i think ? I did replace the prop with a 7x4 and the run was much better , I think the tach was 12-13K that run and it seemed happier Very Happy (no video , sorry) i used the same 15% N with extra castor added from some time back in this fuel just for the older engines . George Thanks for bringing this thread back up i was going to post this but slipped my mind with soo much going on at this time Doh! Just been tierd of all the running around and Doc. appt. Work and home projects !?! I still need to give a try at the Mill 75S and Jim Walker engines i had started with some time back ..... wrote:
Cool
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top