Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

A bumbling day with the McCoy 19  - Page 3 Cox_ba12

A bumbling day with the McCoy 19  - Page 3 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Cox Engine of The Month
July-2021
Kim's

"Rusty's RR-1 runs up on the Q-Tee on a beautiful Summer S.M.A.L.L. Day."

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Forum Store
CEF Ear Savers
Gallery

A bumbling day with the McCoy 19  - Page 3 Empty

A bumbling day with the McCoy 19

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

A bumbling day with the McCoy 19  - Page 3 Empty Re: A bumbling day with the McCoy 19

Post  Cribbs74 Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:09 pm

Is that the .19 Series 21 George? or the regular .19?

What I saw was much different.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2019 Supporter

2020 Supporter

2021 Supporter

Back to top Go down

A bumbling day with the McCoy 19  - Page 3 Empty Re: A bumbling day with the McCoy 19

Post  GallopingGhostler Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:33 pm

Thanks for pointing out a discrepancy, Ron. Engine is Eric's, not Roddie's I was mistakenly responding to. It appears he has the earlier Duromatic McCoy .19 that preceded even the McCoy Red heads. Looking back at my engine archives, found the manual for the Duromatic McCoy .19 ignition, that preceded the glow.

Re the Series 21 Black Heads, they came out later, used a Dykes piston ring, was a better engine overall except for its fatal for sales increase in weight, a detriment. Also, when everyone was going Schneurle, Testors remained stuck on standard cross scavenging. I remember back in 1974, buying a half dozen Series 21 engines for a fraction of their cost on closeout at the Hickam AFB Hobby Shop in Hawaii. Thus predictably Testors engines faded away.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:10 pm

Yea.. my .19 is a Red-Head. I scored "two more" parts-engines.. (may be runners?) but I have an old .09 that may be Eric's engine's vintage.

A bumbling day with the McCoy 19  - Page 3 My_mcc10

Eric.. I have some "strip" spring-steel that I may be able to fashion a ratchet-collar for your needle. It wouldn't be difficult to cut the flat-outline with some snips.. center-drill for the NVA, crease the arms with a chisel and bend them in 90-degrees. Even a "single-arm" on the ratchet/clip would provide some friction to hold a needle-setting. Let me know if you want to explore this. All I'd need is the correct hole-diameter to drill for the NVA.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:04 am

Roddie, you have the 1950 Duromatic McCoy "9". (See Sceptreflight Model Engine Tests McCoy9)
A bumbling day with the McCoy 19  - Page 3 Mccoy_11

Article does not give the HP output, but does state,
The McCoy "9" was tested right "out of the box," without any break-in period, using Testor's "39" and Dyna Glow fuels. The rpm on various fuel and propeller combinations was as follows: Testor's "39," McCoy "9," 12,000. Dyna Glow, McCoy "9," 13,000. Testor's "39," Testor's 7-3, 12,200. Dyna Glow, Testor's 7-3, 13,000. Testor's "39," Flow-Torque 7-4, 10,500. Dyna Glow, Flo-Torque 7-4, 11,000. Testor's "39," Tornado 7-4, 11,200. Dyna Glow, Tornado 7-4, 12,000.
The engine is a mild .09, with a tad less power than the later Enya .09-III and OS Max .10 of the 1960's. Engine is listed as suitable power for Hal Debolts' 26-in span 150 sq in All American.

Outerzone Plan# 347 26-in DeBolt 1952 All American

Whether this is a fair comparison, I do not know. My impressions are that the earlier McCoy "9" 's power is about that of the later 1963 Gilbert .11 Thunderhead, or there abouts, as the All American would be a suitable plane for that engine, too. Some are critical of these lower power output engines. I look at it with the attitude, if mated to the right airframes, they perform. Then they become fun.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:19 pm

@GallopingGhostler wrote:Roddie, you have the 1950 Duromatic McCoy "9". (See Sceptreflight Model Engine Tests McCoy9)

The engine is a mild .09, with a tad less power than the later Enya .09-III and OS Max .10 of the 1960's. Engine is listed as suitable power for Hal Debolts' 26-in span 150 sq in All American.

Outerzone Plan# 347 26-in DeBolt 1952 All American

Whether this is a fair comparison, I do not know. My impressions are that the earlier McCoy "9" 's power is about that of the later 1963 Gilbert .11 Thunderhead, or there abouts, as the All American would be a suitable plane for that engine, too. Some are critical of these lower power output engines. I look at it with the attitude, if mated to the right airframes, they perform. Then they become fun.

Thanks for that info George! I hadn't known much about the engine up until now. I'm not even sure where it came from. Now that I have some better fuel for my vintage-engines, I may try to bench-run it. I don't have any 7 x 3 props.. but I "do" have a couple of 7 x 4's. I'll need to ream the props' hub-hole to .250" to fit the .245" diameter boss on the drive-plate.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:24 pm

Roddie, you're welcome. As far as 7x4 versus 7x3, if you look at the All American plan, they recommended a Tornado 7x4 and 40' lines.
So, I don't think you'll break the bank if you break it in on a 7x4. Computer Issues Thumbs Up
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:03 pm

@GallopingGhostler wrote:Roddie, you're welcome. As far as 7x4 versus 7x3, if you look at the All American plan, they recommended a Tornado 7x4 and 40' lines.
So, I don't think you'll break the bank if you break it in on a 7x4. Computer Issues Thumbs Up

The engine is very suspect George. It came apart easily.. and looks pretty clean.. but I'd like to "at least" try to make a new head-gasket for it.

I want to know more about how Eric's doing with his .19... We should be able to come-up with a cure for his needle-floating condition through the fabrication of a collar/clip. Hey Eric; can you take a photo of your needle; threaded-into the spray-bar at the approximate "running" position.. with a "scale" to show the length that a friction-collar would need to be.. to fashion one that would work? I'll try to make one.. as I mentioned. Send me a PM.. and we'll see if it's doable.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:38 am

I want to know more about how Eric's doing with his .19... We should be able to come-up with a cure for his needle-floating condition through the fabrication of a collar/clip. Hey Eric; can you take a photo of your needle; threaded-into the spray-bar at the approximate "running" position.. with a "scale" to show the length that a friction-collar would need to be.. to fashion one that would work? I'll try to make one.. as I mentioned. Send me a PM.. and we'll see if it's doable. wrote:
The engine is in the shop i will see if i can get a pic today if i can remember / I really don't much care for the needle extension flex wire and may even have something that will work i would have to go through some stuff Rolling Eyes
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2019 Supporter

2020 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:01 am

Eric, George Baines (gcb), who occasionally treks here gave an informative post in another forum, when I showed a photo of my McCoy 35 Red Head with same flex needle valve handle. Don't remember what company he mentioned made these, but it was common some 50 - 60 years ago. One clipped off the knurled needle valve finger valve head and soldered this new assembly over it. With a brass strap that bolted to the back engine cover, it in essence provided a remote style needle valve through flex and bending to get the fingers away from the prop. Mine was soldered a little off center, so needle turning wasn't smooth, would vibrate a quarter turn off during flight affecting the engine run.

A bumbling day with the McCoy 19  - Page 3 S-1_mc10

That's when I found out that an Evolution .46 rear needle valve assembly perfectly fit my Red Head and worked even better. I blanked off the RH's spraybar with a 2-56 screw and connected its nipple to the Evolution NVA.

A bumbling day with the McCoy 19  - Page 3 Mccoy310

That's the current setup I have on my 1950 Ringmaster S-1.

- George
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum