Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 14 Cox_ba12

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 14 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Today at 7:00 pm

» Anderson Baby Spitfire - looking for the aft tank and gasket
by dan vincent Today at 6:15 pm

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by sosam117 Today at 5:55 pm

» Cox powered boat litle shrimp hidroplane
by davidll1984 Today at 2:52 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Today at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 14 Empty
Live on Patrol

On the Ramp Right Now!

Page 14 of 28 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 21 ... 28  Next

Go down

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 14 Empty Re: On the Ramp Right Now!

Post  Kim Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:27 pm

So, THERE I was, MINDING my own business, when suddenly, a blimp rocketed into view!  

Well, maybe not really...we had been watching and rooting for it to cross the river out east for some 20 minutes before it finally made it to the field, and even then, it still headed on westward to loiter over "Three Mile Hill", waiting for it's ground-support crew to arrive after actually out-running them (there's no real, direct root to Cape Girardeau from the east or west, but you're in business if you want to hoof it to Memphis or St. Louis).

By the time the crew trucks arrived, our tower was closed and so we were treated to listening to the blimp call his traffic as he poked around something that resembled a pattern and approach.  Highly recommended, but still appearing somewhat pointless when applied to a flying whale...."I'm terribly sorry for the near-miss sir!  Honest-to God...I didn't see the blimp !"

Anyway, don't know much about it as I was getting tired and cranky and hungry WAY before they got the thing secured.  Someone said it was based out of Florida...maybe a free-lance advertizing blimp or something.

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 14 1_52

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 14 2_64

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 14 2_115

Beautiful and somewhat surreal evening sky gives the blimp's approach a Lakehurst-esk feeling:

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 14 3_49

Photogenic as they may be, I've never been a big fan of Hot Air Balloons because of their lack of command and control over the course they fly ("Freedom in a Balloon"-my foot!), so blimps rate a bit higher, but they're still incredibly helpless and dependent on pampering when they try to land...

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 14 4_47

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 14 5_35
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:23 pm

In airplane talk, when you say a plane has a range of 450 miles, does that mean it can fly 450 miles from home and have enough fuel to turn around and return to home?
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:33 pm

RknRusty wrote:In airplane talk, when you say a plane has a range of 450 miles, does that mean it can fly 450 miles from home and have enough fuel to turn around and return to home?
Rusty

Range is a one-way shot, typically.

I once read a story about a young, newly-wed pilot who used his upcoming honeymoon trip as an excuse to get checked out in a Mooney, which had a MUCH longer range than his trusty Skyhawk. This would allow the happy couple to get to their destination in one hop. However, being a newbie in the world of a FEMALE'S useful range, he lamented that a plane with +five hours of endurance isn't worth much when your new bride is only good for close to ONE hour of flight !!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:39 pm

Kim wrote:
RknRusty wrote:In airplane talk, when you say a plane has a range of 450 miles, does that mean it can fly 450 miles from home and have enough fuel to turn around and return to home?
Rusty

Range is a one-way shot, typically.

I once read a story about a young, newly-wed pilot who used his upcoming honeymoon trip as an excuse to get checked out in a Mooney, which had a MUCH longer range than his trusty Skyhawk.  This would allow the happy couple to get to their destination in one hop.  However, being a newbie in the world of a FEMALE'S useful range, he lamented that a plane with +five hours of endurance isn't worth much when your new bride is only good for close to ONE hour of flight !!!
Thanks for answering my question.
And that other problem is what empty jugs are for. My passengers hate riding with me. I haven't had to pee in almost 30 years. lol! I can go a loooong way... unless I stop for some burritos. OKay TMI
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:32 pm

Back in my hard-core, sport-flying days, I always joked that my Grega/Piet would never run out of fuel, because it carried almost three hours of fuel, but I was so cramped in it's tiny cockpit that I COULDN'T stand to be in there for more than an hour and a half...
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:16 am

Is this it?
On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 14 03-26-02-fuse-DJ

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:08 pm

Yep...with an engine and some covering!

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 14 Piet10
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 14 Empty "Hot Chocolate and Pilatus's!!!"

Post  Kim Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:16 pm

"Hot Chocolate and Pilatus's!!!"  

The sub-title was my answer to my self-asked question whenever I'd tour a class of youngsters at the airport, "Do you all know what comes from Switzerland?".

I love talking about airplanes, and didn't mind a bit when I'd get tagged to do hangar tours, often making our based Pilatus the main star...just because it's name is fun to say.  Even the teachers and bus driver would join in when I'd ask, "Can you all say PI-LAT-US?"...responding with the kids:    

"PI-LAT-US!!!"  

I'd always ended my tours with a test as the group headed for the main gate: "Now, what comes from Switzerland?"

"HOT CHOCOLATE AND PILATUS'S !!!!!"

Nothing like warping little minds before the professional warpers get their turn with them!

The big turbo-prop doesn't often get noticed otherwise, especially when parked next to the racier hardware out on the ramp...but she's a workhorse, and flies a bunch.  

I got a chance to ride along this afternoon as one of our pilots prepared for a check ride in his next step toward running charters in the plane.  I packed along a camera, and snapped a few photos before and during the ride!

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 14 0_213

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 14 1_57

Some macho trailing-link main gear...

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 14 15_20

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 14 2_71

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 14 4_49

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 14 3_54

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 14 5_37

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 14 16_21

The false horizon is Missouri's summer haze layer, coming to a level stop at about 4000 feet above the ground...

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 14 17_15

Painton International Aerodrome slides by far below...

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 14 18_17

Flaps down...slow flight and approach-to-stalls way up high...

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 14 20_13

Clyde makes a quick judgement/call on whether he can make the field during a simulated engine failure..

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 14 19_15
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 14 Empty re: Pilatus

Post  happydad Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:55 pm

Kim: Jealous x10,000 cheers

happydad

RC Plane  Futaba Radio  RC Plane
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:39 am

I grew up next to a parachute drop zone and they would regularly get a Pilatus Porter in when they had an event or formation competition. It was and awesome plane to watch. With 10 jumpers on board it would launch itself off the ground at an acute angle and get to the drop hight faster than any other plane we ever had come & visit. While I love piston engines, the turboprop just sounded like pure thrust. The guys (and girls) would all pile out and the pilot would just point that thing at the ground & was usually down and ready to load by the time the last chute had hit the deck. Reverse pitch the prop, plonk it on the ground about 50' from the compound and there she sat, taking up just a few yards of the strip.

The Porter was in stark contrast to certain other planes we had there. One which comes to mind was the DeHavilland Drover.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Havilland_Australia_DHA-3_Drover
That thing, with 10 onboard, would heave itself up over the treeline at the end of the strip and then settle back down about 50' over our paddocks until it got up enough airspeed to gain any altitude. You could go inside, cook and consume lunch, have a post-meal coffee and wander back outside just in time to see the jumpers bail out. By the time he got that thing back on the ground it was nearly dark everyone had landed and were probably well on their way to the local Longwarry Pub for an ale.
I spoke the the guy who purchased and restored the Drover after it retired from the drop zone and he tells me he didn't know how the engines even ran as all the spark plugs had their electrodes completely burned off. Still, I love the old bus.

The drop zone is long gone and I shifted off the farm next door, but I credit those many years with developing my love of aircraft.
there was a very good website on its history, but I can't currently locate it. If I do I'll post.

Rod.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:13 am

What a cool airplane...as are so many of the classic DeHavilland designs. Those Gypsie inline engines are so cool! The old gal may not have the performance of some, but it's certainly a classy airplane !!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Waffleman Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:06 am

Interesting that you mention the parachute drop fro the Pilatus. At the local airport here, we have a very successful skydiving operation called "skydive deland" and they operate a Pilatus, a Short Skyvan, an a couple of Twin Otters. We can see the landing approach from the RC field, that Pilatus pilot is a real hotshot. He comes down quicker "that a bonanza full of doctors" and is often already on the runway by the time his skydivers make their landings. He also makes the most dramatic turns to final.
Waffleman
Waffleman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:41 am

Waffleman wrote:Interesting that you mention the parachute drop fro the Pilatus. At the local airport here, we have a very successful skydiving operation called "skydive deland" and they operate a Pilatus, a Short Skyvan, an a couple of Twin Otters. We can see the landing approach from the RC field, that Pilatus pilot is a real hotshot. He comes down quicker "that a bonanza full of doctors" and is often already on the runway by the time his skydivers make their landings. He also makes the most dramatic turns to final.

Your too young to know the "Bonanza full of doctors" joke, I heard that 50 years ago. You must hang with older pilots!
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:26 am

crankbndr wrote:
Waffleman wrote:Interesting that you mention the parachute drop fro the Pilatus. At the local airport here, we have a very successful skydiving operation called "skydive deland" and they operate a Pilatus, a Short Skyvan, an a couple of Twin Otters. We can see the landing approach from the RC field, that Pilatus pilot is a real hotshot. He comes down quicker "that a bonanza full of doctors" and is often already on the runway by the time his skydivers make their landings. He also makes the most dramatic turns to final.

Your too young to know the "Bonanza full of doctors" joke, I heard that 50 years ago. You must hang with older pilots!

True!!!!!! But that saying STILL has validity !!!!!! Nowadays, We just got more brands for them to plant !!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:32 am

That turbo prop sure has a nice cabin, looks like it was made for flying around cigar chompin Texas oil barons!!
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Waffleman Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:49 am

crankbndr wrote:

Right on both accounts.

The oldest pilot I know is 97, I have one of his planes that was built in 1962! Older than me by a long shot!
Waffleman
Waffleman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:26 pm

Kim wrote:What a cool airplane...as are so many of the classic DeHavilland designs.  Those Gypsie inline engines are so cool!  The old gal may not have the performance of some, but it's certainly a classy airplane !!!

Kim.  I figured the multi-engined thing would get your attention.

The old Drover was built like a tank & I think it was exclusively built with Australia in mind and was used mainly in the Royal Flying Doctor Service. (ignoring the "doctor" joke).  The R.F.D.S. flies doctors out & patients in from really remote parts of the outback where it would take people days to drive to the nearest town or hospital.

The particular Drover in question was purchased by one of our local Drop Zone guys, but unfortunately when it came to taking delivery, he had broken his arm.  He flew to Sydney from Melbourne, taking my then 15 year old brother with him for the ride.  On arrival, he did all the negotiations  Hand Shake  with his jacket draped over his plastered arm.  Once in the plane, my brother took over (with some assistance on take-off & landing) and flew the thing home.  Flying  Shh

I still remember watching the thing descend at dusk after a drop with flames belching from the exhausts, probably due to the aforementioned dodgy spark plugs.

Rod.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:09 pm

Oldenginerod wrote:
Kim wrote:What a cool airplane...as are so many of the classic DeHavilland designs.  Those Gypsie inline engines are so cool!  The old gal may not have the performance of some, but it's certainly a classy airplane !!!

I still remember watching the thing descend at dusk after a drop with flames belching from the exhausts, probably due to the aforementioned dodgy spark plugs.

Rod.

That HAD to be a sight! Years ago, there was an engineless DeHavilland 'Dove' parked out in the grass at an airport across the river. I think it was originally used as an airframe carcass for the Aviation Maintenance School there. I was told that I was welcome to check it out, but didn't have the time on that trip. When I dropped in a couple years later, the Dove was gone...probably scrapped out.

Wish we had some restored something with Gypsie engines puttering around here !
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:52 pm

Kim wrote:That HAD to be a sight!  Years ago, there was an engineless DeHavilland 'Dove' parked out in the grass at an airport across the river.  I think it was originally used as an airframe carcass for the Aviation Maintenance School there.  I was told that I was welcome to check it out, but didn't have the time on that trip.  When I dropped in a couple years later, the Dove was gone...probably scrapped out.

Wish we had some restored something with Gypsie engines puttering around here !

I'm pretty sure the Drover was based on a similar platform to the Dove, but the Dove had two Gypsy Queen engines rather than the three Gypsy Majors (basically a Tiger Moth engine).  Three of them droning away together was sort of a unique sound.  We see quite a few Doves sitting around in various states of repair out here- they must have been pretty popular in their day.  I saw a local newspaper article the other day about a guy who purchased a complete running example, dismantled it and reassembled it in his suburban back yard.  He can actually run the engines and likes to entertain the local kids as he has installed a flight simulator in the cockpit.  Wouldn't you have loved to be the kid next door to that guy?  Very Happy

Rod.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:25 am

He's definitely NOT the "Hey you kids, get offa my lawn" type !!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:09 pm

On September 13, 2012, I nearly lost an old friend.  John stalled his Fairchild PT-19 Cornell during a low pass for a TV crew.  He was demonstrating a "Flour Bombing" event in our upcoming airshow.  

Watching the target (a car), and positioning the WWII trainer for release, he let the plane slow to the point that it stalled and nosed down.  Adding power as the stall broke only torqued it to the left, but may have been the reason the accident wasn't worse.

The PT-19 snapped to the left, it's left wing and nose striking the ground, with plane ending up 180 degrees from it's original course.  The wing's crushing impact helped cushion the rest of the plane's impact, with both John and his passenger being able to climb from the plane, though both were still banged up pretty good.

The landing gear struts were snapped off at the wings, the prop shattered and engine mounts bent.  Even more seriously, the fuselage's longerons were bent.  The insurance company totaled the plane.

We put the plane on a flat-bed trailer and hauled it back to it's hangar, were it sat for a couple months as John recovered from from his head smacking the windscreen frame.

John took responsibility for the accident from the beginning...straight-out pilot error...and had to deal with assorted lawyers and the Feds as the whole deal progressed.

He bought the PT from the insurance company, and started pulling parts from wreck.  He had help from several friends, but all the drive to finish the project was his.  His past hobby/job of helping maintain PT-19's, had given him several connections in the community.  He rebuilt the Ranger Engine, pulled the center section and sent it off to Ohio (I think).  The fuse was rebuilt and jigged and one of his friends came up with some "NIP" gear struts.

Parts of the PT 'traveled' around the airport, being stored in borrowed hangars when some of it's larger chunks needed elbow room around them as they were worked on in John's T hangar.

I missed it's first post-rebuild flight, but watched John today as he made laps around the airport, adjusting the rigging of it's controls.  It was good to hear the rumble of the old straight-six Ranger.

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 14 0_19

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 14 1_68

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 14 2_79

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 14 3_62

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 14 4_54

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 14 5_46

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 14 1_69

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 14 2_80

For the past couple of years, John's hangar looked remarkably like your average model-builder's shop...just a bit scaled up.

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 14 3_63

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 14 4_55

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 14 5_47

John's rebuilt Cornell sits on his hangar's ramp today, September 17, 2014

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 14 1_70

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 14 2_81

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 14 3_64

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 14 4_56

N19GP heads out to Runway 28 for some more test flying as John gets the trainer in rig.

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 14 5_49

Last edited by Kim on Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:24 pm; edited 3 times in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  dckrsn Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:44 pm

I don't know how to reply, except to thank you for that, Kim.
The welling up Bob
dckrsn
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:25 pm

Stupendous --- what a treat to see an old warhorse back on its feet and into the air.
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:18 pm

Kim,

Tell John that we have been watching. To go through all that mess and still come out on top tells me he is a man with passion. I respect that.

Good job John!

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:52 pm

Will do!

John is "Old School", and we've got about three of them left at our airport.  Once he got healed up enough to be truly mobile, he methodically rebuilt the PT...a crazy-daunting task in my view.

He's been extremely generous with the PT over the years, handing out free rides from the time it was first restored back in the 1980's.  I've gotten to log almost 4 hours of time mooched over the years, with the extreme honor of being allowed to take the front seat, and on the last two flights, handling the PT from start to shut down, with John in the back seat commenting on the weather and how much traffic there was on the interstate.

Several years ago, John installed an electric starter in the PT.  It was nice, but I somehow thought the PT lost a bit of it's mystique...or maybe I just got a kick out of watching my fellow line guys crank the thing....
On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 14 Airpor10

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 14 3_pt-110

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 14 4_pt-110

"Super Tim" (one of our new/old schoolers) hams it up with the PT
On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 14 Tim_po10
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 28 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 21 ... 28  Next